3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why 1980s - 2020s Time jump is not possible - An Explanation

Orthur

I should note in this post I assumed that ; By 80s-2020s you mean two decades, First half of the game set in the 80s, and then a time jump to 2020s where the rest of the game takes place. Things get even more complex and ridiculously huge if we are talking about multiple decades as in ; 80s - 90s - 2000s - 2010s - 2020s, now that's 5 decades, five times more resources than they would need for one single decade. Even a quick jump from 80s - 2020s (two decades) is better than having 5 decades, especially it'd be a development nightmare if they're open world. I'm not saying it's out of the world, Rockstar can theoretically do it, but I think some people here should curb their expectations for the game. It'll be a masterpiece but I'd be surprised if it's a masterpiece with multiple cities and decades.

Theoretically, 1980s - 2020s sounds very plausible, And very exiting, I do agree that it'd be completely mind-blowing and develop the characters well, I would love to see something like that, Some good examples are Goodfellas (1955-1980) and Irishman (1949-2000), both of these movies' stories spans over several decades and are amazing, if you have time, go watch it now.

But realistically speaking, I think 1980 - 1990 is more plausible (IF it's set in 80s and has multiple time periods), It would then have an amazing theme of the rise and fall of the 80s. They could parody everything that happened in the 80s as a whole!, This is what I think is plausible, And what I personally hope for.

Why is the time jump "impossible"?
1980s - 2020s, That's where I think it's more work than we realize. Everyone says it like it's a very easy thing to do. To explain how complex and hard it would be to make it possible, These are some of the things I could come up with, that Rockstar would have to (And knowing Rockstar, They Will ) change if there's a time jump from 80s - 2020s ;

Buildings & Streets in the City
First and foremost thing everyone will notice are the placement of buildings and how every building has evolved from the 80s to 2020s, some buildings would be absent, some would have evolved, while in some other places there will be new buildings. They would have to take this all into account, if it was a smaller time jump, from 1980 - 1989, then the work wouldn't be as big as it would be for 80s - 2020s.

Radio Stations
GTA V had 221 Tracks of licensed music when it released and they originally aimed for 900 tracks, I assume GTA VI would improve on that by having hundreds of more tracks, Perhaps, It might even have 1000 songs. Not to mention the talking stations which are hilarious and makes the radio stations an important part of the GTA experience.

If it's set in one particular time period, they can focus on adding songs that are related to that time period. For example an 80s radio station would have songs from 80s but not 2020s. But radio station of a game set in 2020s could have classic songs in a dedicated Radio station. But what about both? If they have two decades, they would have to add a whole lot of new songs for after the time jump to 2020s. They would have to license tons of songs, Obviously they have the money but it arguably takes more time, maybe not double the amount of time, but certainly isn't a piece of cake either, Because there's a reason they didn't include the originally planned 900 tracks in the game. And then they would have to do talking radio stations twice, one for 80s and then another for modern day.

Fashion
It doesn't sound hard to make clothes for one decade(1980 - 1989), But 80s-2020s is a huge leap because the fashion has changed drastically. And Rockstar would want to make tons of clothes for each decade which would take double the amount of time if they had to design/model clothes for just one decade, it's time consuming.

Vehicles
Like fashion, Vehicles have changed drastically over time, from 80s to 2020s, And Rockstar would have to create new models for *almost* every vehicle brand, At least double the amount of vehicles than they would have to model if it was only one decade.

The Internet
80s doesn't have internet but 2020s has, This brings a small problem, Rockstar would have to create phones, internet and everything related to that (taking pictures, listening to songs, etc.) and get rid of 80s songs on radios, cameras that are used in 80s period, And everything that 80s had and replace them with modern alternatives, And develop new gameplay mechanics for them, Which is a really huge amount of work and takes their time that can be focused on something else if the game doesn't have multiple decades.

Is it worth focusing on Time jumps?
All of these things can be done by Rockstar, They have the manpower to do it, but it's more of a matter of "Should they do it?". Should they focus everything they got to make two(or more) decades work, Or should they focus on perfecting one single decade that would be arguably more detailed than multiple decades?

It's like having multiple protagonists, they could have focused on making one perfect protagonist instead of three "decent" protagonists, And in my opinion, They should just focus one perfect time period instead of multiple "somewhat good enough" decades.

That doesn't mean I hate the idea of multiple decades, In fact, I'd be pissed off if they never do multiple decades of that scale in the future. But for GTA VI, I think it'd be too much work that would take away their precious time from focusing on other important things such as, A bigger and more detailed map, More interiors, more vehicles, fashion, etc. That makes the world very alive.

About RDR2's time jump, It was great but it doesn't change much in terms of fashion, vehicles, And they didn't have to implement new things like internet and they changed some buildings in cities and towns, most of the map is forests and deserts so it's not as much work as it would be for something set in modern era. 1899-1907 is not a crazy time jump like 80s to modern times.

Let's talk about the "80s won't be profitable for GTA VI Online"
Let's talk about his argument that's been repeated so many times, I can honestly say me and some others are really tired of this baseless claim that GTA Online would not be profitable if it was set in the past era.

Most people who want Multiple timelines has a common reason why they think Rockstar should do that. If somehow you are new here and doesn't know what I am talking about, most people say that Online in the 80s wouldn't be profitable so the game should have multiple eras and the story should end in 2020s where Online would then take place.

Now don't get me wrong, That's a really good idea!, But would that be the reason why Rockstar want to make multiple eras, Just to make Online more appealing?, No. Because 80s, has potential for GTA VI Online, For instance, similar to heists in GTA O, we can have drug smuggling missions in GTA VI Online!, And everything that's related to it, Maybe we can form our own drug empire online, There's endless possibilities.

If your argument is that, it doesn't sound realistic to have flying bikes in the 80s, Then let me ask, How realistic are flying bikes in 2020s?, It's not like we have flying bikes in 2020s so it makes GTA online somehow more realistic?, After all, most of the GTA online players don't care about and don't want Realism. Online is meant to be fun and arcadey. If you go around and ask people if they'd like realistic weapon mechanics like RDR2 for GTA Online, They would hate that idea, In fact, most people who are interested in story mode doesn't want that, Because it's apparently too realistic!. Besides, GTA San Andreas had jetpacks in a 90s setting, Was it realistic? NO. Was it fun? YES. And hey, crazy sh*t like flying bikes fits for 80s more than 2020s in a way because 80s has that retro futuristic vibe to it. For example, if the game is set in the 80s, They can sell Hoverboards or DeLorean from Back to the Future.

In the end, Though, Fun is what matters and I don't think the 80s would restrict Rockstar in any way because the 80s has cool alternatives to almost everything that the modern times has, in fact, some things are way better in the 80s for example like in this picture below.

y08sk9l5flw01.jpg?auto=webp&s=54c3906592

Imagine, instead of having to take pictures with your phone, You can do that with a camera!, And you can listen to songs while not in vehicles using a parody version of the Sony Walkman, For mobile phones, we can use a brick phone that can be also used as a melee weapon lol, And maybe a radio in protagonist's home to listen to!. These are just some of things that I can mention here.

Hope you enjoyed reading this and I didn't bore you guys out(and hopefully this topic doesn't turn into 80s vs Modern times debate lol), And hopefully this year we get the announcement and a lot of these questions are answered!

Feasible way to do it would be to change the map through the ~10 years the next Online will be operational

Spoiler

"One plan that management has laid out for the next game, a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series, is to start out with a moderately sized release that is then expanded with regular updates over time"

but I dont personally think different decades are necessary (as long as it's the 80's)

• Like 2

Also the age of the protagonist especially if they focus on one protagonist. Depending on their age like if they were in their 20s or 30s in the 80s they'd be like 60 now or 70 and playing as an old man would be terrible. The youngest would be 18 years old in 1989 which would make them like 49 or 50 now and that doesn't seem as fun either.

Edited by Zello

i was thinking of an 2020 epilogue on VI but than i thought that 1990s would be perfect for epilogue , R* is probably gonna use 2020 era for Online mode imo , nice topic , Beneficial to read. 

Thomas Cavendish
17 minutes ago, RenegadeAngel said:

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's just not really worth it. Too many cool things will have to be sacrificed for the idea of multiple timelines.

Totally agree.
Too much effort to split the narrative and all the features in two timelines.
Why would they do it? Just one massive mindblowing experience in one place in a couple of years with a few landscape progression like RDR2, it's all we need.

billiejoearmstrong8

Totally agree with OP but the thing I don't get is why this gets brought up as a possibility so much when there's zero reason to think it's likely they'd do this one specific thing over 100s of other things they could do with the game. They've never done multiple cities/locations over a large area before (San Andreas is neighbouring areas, and when they've had one-off missions in a far away area they've been adamant about keeping it only for that mission). And they've never even hinted at setting a GTA game in two different time periods before, much less that it'd be possible to switch between the two. But it's speculated on to the point that people are actually going to be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Makes no sense to me.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Parallel lines did it pretty well imo (especially considering the changes in the map and color palette) and youd need not necessarily play as the same protagonist in the 2020s. Radio stations also dont have to be numerous in nature, just enough music to set the tone for each decade. There's a GTA concept I've written a while ago that had this feature and I can honestly see it being implemented pretty well in a hypothetical gta 6.

If the concern is the fact that youd be playing as a 60 year old cranky old man in 2021 then the first arc could be set in the early-to-mid 90s (around the time when the dea were cracking down on drug cartels and stuff). That way, you can narrow down the year gap and and still have a relatively stable mc, which also works for vice city stylistically since the modern skyscrapers and by extent the skyline which we see today in miami were mostly completed around that time.

And on top of 80s music, they could also include 90s rock, dance and pop to add variety to the soundtrack. miami bass was actually a big thing during the 90s, even more so than the 80s. Just picture yourself cruising down the streets doing drive bys in a reimagined little haiti while listening to my boo lol

Edited by DownInThePMs

2 hours ago, Orthur The Boah said:

I should note in this post I assumed that ; By 80s-2020s you mean two decades, First half of the game set in the 80s, and then a time jump to 2020s where the rest of the game takes place. Things get even more complex and ridiculously huge if we are talking about multiple decades as in ; 80s - 90s - 2000s - 2010s - 2020s, now that's 5 decades, five times more resources than they would need for one single decade.

Was someone really asking for 5 decades? Like 5 versions of literally everything?

11 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

Was someone really asking for 5 decades? Like 5 versions of literally everything?

Apparently gta is civilization and tropico now

41 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

You'd be surprised man...

By the way, why would we even need to visit 2000s and 2010s? We visited both of these decades in HD era already. To be honest, gap between 2000s and 2020s is not that big so I don't really understand why would we need all three of them, there is much bigger gap between 1970s - 1990s than between 2000s - 2020s.

25 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

By the way, why would we even need to visit 2000s and 2010s? We visited both of these decades in HD era already. 

2020 as well, bcz of gta online's storyline 

1 hour ago, Thelema93 said:

Eh it'll be fine.. you're overthinking and underestimating the power of technology. 

Technology won't write you script for 5 decades, technology won't write you dialogues for 5 decades and it won't record them. What about characters? It's like making 5 in 1 GTA games.

Edited by Kris194

Still possible IMO - I've noticed with this subject a lot of people underestimate Rockstar and what they're capable of. They're one of the leading game developers (maybe even THE leading game developer) and have the talent and resources to set a GTA game in two different time frames - Not to mention it's likely GTA VI would have been in development for around 8 years by the time it gets released.

I'm not saying they will set the game in two different decades but completely dismissing that possibility based on the idea of them not being capable is utterly ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, Zello said:

Also the age of the protagonist especially if they focus on one protagonist. Depending on their age like if they were in their 20s or 30s in the 80s they'd be like 60 now or 70 and playing as an old man would be terrible. The youngest would be 18 years old in 1989 which would make them like 49 or 50 now and that doesn't seem as fun either.

This is true, it's easy to forget that 1980 is 40 years ago. But it is still within the realm of possibility given the age of Trevor and Michael in the last game. They aren't afraid to give us 50 year olds. Irrespective of wether you think they're sh*t or not.

Secondly, didn't the person who 'leaked' the multiple protagonist information say that there will be multiple but not in the way you think. I kind of took that as one dies and you continue on as another. I think narratively what would be really interesting is if we built and empire through the 80's - city and character would not need to change. They die, his/her kid lives a somewhat normal life until something happens and they are forced to resurrect a lost drug empire in the modern day.

They don't even need to die, the switch could happen when they become to old and the kid is given the keys so to speak. A true crime family story.

It's interesting because tonally you could explore the vibe of different decades through the different characters because generationally they would be massively different - in appearence, accent and interests. So you could portray different themes in the different era's through the characters.

Edited by darkdayz

I don't think the multiple time periods idea is impossible, it just doesn't make any sense. As has already been pointed out, that would require a lot of work. Basically making two of damn near everything in the game. It's literally making a game, then making its sequel and cramming them together into one package. 

What would be the upside of that? A sudden shift in the "vibe"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darkdayz said:

Secondly, didn't the person who 'leaked' the multiple protagonist information say that there will be multiple but not in the way you think. I kind of took that as one dies and you continue on as another. I think narratively what would be really interesting is if we built and empire through the 80's - city and character would not need to change. They die, his/her kid lives a somewhat normal life until something happens and they are forced to resurrect a lost drug empire in the modern day.

Agree. Maybe like chapter in RDR2.

I think is also nice if some point in the game we have to go back in time to finish a business or a problem

Always thought that was a ridiculous idea. It would take too much effort and just isn't worth it. Stick to one time period 

9 hours ago, Kris194 said:

Technology won't write you script for 5 decades, technology won't write you dialogues for 5 decades and it won't record them. What about characters? It's like making 5 in 1 GTA games.

Bigger badder and better is a motto for these things.. it's an ambitious undertaking but far from impossible.. there's a reason this games taken over 10 years... And that's without a reveal.. trust in the process

I mean, lame decisions concerning Grand Theft Auto V make me doubt they would want to create something as ambitious as this. 

Prepare yourselves for 1980's Vice City drug story, nothing else.

Edited by Americana

56 minutes ago, Thelema93 said:

Bigger badder and better is a motto for these things.. it's an ambitious undertaking but far from impossible.. there's a reason this games taken over 10 years... And that's without a reveal.. trust in the process

The game's taken over 10 years (which it hasn't even yet but, it probably will) because they developed another game before it (RDR2)

I swear with some of you guys it's just a struggle sometimes

4 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

The game's taken over 10 years (which it hasn't even yet but, it probably will) because they developed another game before it (RDR2)

I swear with some of you guys it's just a struggle sometimes

Don't struggle. You'll get there.. just need some practice. I believe in you. Decade this decade that. Who cares.. It's just speculation. Gta 6 could take place in the year 3000 for all I care. 

Yeah driving crappy old cars doesn't seem cool to me.

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Thelema93 said:

Don't struggle. You'll get there.. just need some practice. I believe in you. Decade this decade that. Who cares.. It's just speculation. Gta 6 could take place in the year 3000 for all I care. 

What the actual f*ck are you even talking about?

2 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

What the actual f*ck are you even talking about?

The f*ck my soggy friend. And watch your language 

12 minutes ago, Thelema93 said:

The f*ck my soggy friend. And watch your language 

Look, I don't know if you think you're being cool with all that edge, but you're not. Half the sh*t you're saying doesn't even make sense and the other half is just cringy, whiny bullsh*t, the kind somebody might've written as a 14 year old in 2009, when forums were still the hot sh*t on the internet. But it's really just embarassing for you and kinda funny for the rest of us. So please don't ever stop.

6 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

Look, I don't know if you think you're being cool with all that edge, but you're not. Half the sh*t you're saying doesn't even make sense and the other half is just cringy, whiny bullsh*t, the kind somebody might've written as a 14 year old in 2009, when forums were still the hot sh*t on the internet. But it's really just embarassing for you and kinda funny for the rest of us. So please don't ever stop.

Looks like someone got his feelings hurt...