4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Lucasfilm games

Zello

Jason

EA got the license in 2013 and have done absolutely f*ck all with it, so it's no surprise Disney are looking else where, the exclusive deal with EA has been an absolute disaster for them. All the interesting projects got canned, the Battlefront games were heavily criticised for a whole variety of things including the lootbox drama that got Disney's attention, they only really put out some decent titles in the last two years with Jedi Fallen Order and Squadrons.

It sounds like they're taking the same approach as they're now taking with the Marvel games, finding studios that (on paper) are a good fit and going with them. Hasn't worked well for Marvel so far but it's still early days there too. Massive making an open world game could be good though, hopefully it's not a looter shooter cause lord knows we don't need another one of them, but their open worlds in The Division games are incredibly well done and detailed, so they could be a good fit. An open world single player game set in some Star Wars city where you play as a bounty hunter... oof baby.

• Like 2
Chuck

Mandalorian game, here we f*cking go

a Chuck Kojima post.

• Like 2
RARusk

Should find a way to revive Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, and Monkey Island. The fact that MachineGames is doing an Indiana Jones game is a good start. Fun fact: I did a four month temporary gig as a gametester with LucasFilm Games thirty years ago when I was living in San Francisco.

Zello

I hope they give Hangar 13 a call and let them finish Star Wars 1313.

• Like 1
LittleBlueTroll
13 hours ago, Jason said:

An open world single player game set in some Star Wars city where you play as a bounty hunter... oof baby.

Even reading these gives me a tingling feeling in my pants 🥳

There are literally so many options for story and setting, the Star Wars universe is so vast. 

A new, modern RPG is where its at for me. One where I can pick the dark side and be a savage Sith without a care in the world. 

None of this "ohhhh lets turn to the light" bullsh*t. I know KOTOR exists, but I'm not in to MMO titles. 

I want a single player RPG, where I can live out my dark side fetish in peace. 

• Like 2
Cameron Star

Yes! EA did so little with Star Wars and what they did do was lukewarm garbage. I hate EA so much. I'd love to see an open world singleplayer Star Wars rpg but I'm not sure I trust Ubisoft to do so well with it either so... if Bethesda or Obisidian did it that would be amazing!

trip

I'm convinced there is no way to capture Star Wars in a video game.   The closest thing I accept as capturing the essence of Star Wars is Battlefront...and that only captures the battle action sequences.

The core of Star Wars is the space opera.  The interactions between unique personality and characters.  The romantic side of living in a universe far far away.

Star Wars has that charm that great movies do, and that charm is near impossibility to translate to a game.   How many movie IPs turned into good games?  Not many...  the reverse actually happens...we now see 'decent' movies based on game IP.

I do trust Ubi though for open world.  Over 90% of Star Wars is the environment and architecture.  Nail the atmosphere and make a small story...I'll play.

Anyway, I actually came in here because coincidently enough I stumbled on this crazy sealed copy of "Day of the Tentacle" while cleaning up some stuff the other day.

*still sealed.

Uf5ZJD7.jpg

RARusk

Still need to buy that on my PS4. However, I will be using my leftover gift card money after purchasing Hitman 3 to acquiring both Monkey Island games on my PS3. Played both MI games on the X360 and still have my Commodore Amiga disks.

• Like 1
TheMadHammer
7 hours ago, trip said:

I'm convinced there is no way to capture Star Wars in a video game.   The closest thing I accept as capturing the essence of Star Wars is Battlefront...and that only captures the battle action sequences.

You never played KoTOR? I'm convinced that KoTOR is so close to being what Star Wars is really about under the hood that KoTOR, the OT, and now The Mandalorian are the only three things I consider as part of my personal canon. edit: well those and Jedi Fallen Order. That game was beautifully made and really captured the sense of fun and adventure that's been missing for so long.

Everyone here seems to be hating on EA, which is fine, but don't act like it was EA that didn't fulfill Disney's desires for a new Star Wars game empire. It was Disney that put the kabosh 1313 before they made their deal with EA. I'm certain EA had an endless stream of good ideas flowing in from all the studios it has contracts with, but Disney was being stingy. It was a miracle that Fallen Order was even made, if I'm understanding the subtext of how that came to be developed.

Edited by TheMadHammer
Cameron Star

They probably cancelled 1313 because it didn't fit into their new "canon" world.

trip
9 hours ago, TheMadHammer said:

You never played KoTOR

I did.  People love KoTOR but for some reason it just didn't do the same for me as it did others.  

There is a mighty high bar for me and Star Wars games.  I was one of those kids who's introduction to Star Wars was when a New Hope hit theaters in 1977.   Like most of the world - I was blown away.

• Like 2
Matrelith

I could do with another Jedi Knight video game. Playing as Kyle Katarn was awesome. 

• Like 2
Zello
On 1/14/2021 at 11:06 PM, TheMadHammer said:

Everyone here seems to be hating on EA, which is fine, but don't act like it was EA that didn't fulfill Disney's desires for a new Star Wars game empire. It was Disney that put the kabosh 1313 before they made their deal with EA. I'm certain EA had an endless stream of good ideas flowing in from all the studios it has contracts with, but Disney was being stingy. It was a miracle that Fallen Order was even made, if I'm understanding the subtext of how that came to be developed.

I'm pissed that this Darth Maul game was cancelled and 1313 was cancelled.

Lucasarts was also not pushing out many games at the end. They released the Force unleashed games and those games in my opinion were terrible.  I think they also shot themselves in the foot by not making their version of Battlefront III and instead making those PSP battlefront games Renegade Squadron and Elite Squadron decent games that should not have been limited to the PSP. Apparently Battlefront III had a lot of issues in development and delays and ended up getting cancelled and that was before Disney.

EA is stupid for cancelling Amy Hennigs Star Wars game too.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 1
TheMadHammer
17 hours ago, Zello said:

I'm pissed that this Darth Maul game was cancelled and 1313 was cancelled.

Lucasarts was also not pushing out many games at the end. They released the Force unleashed games and those games in my opinion were terrible.  I think they also shot themselves in the foot by not making their version of Battlefront III and instead making those PSP battlefront games Renegade Squadron and Elite Squadron decent games that should not have been limited to the PSP. Apparently Battlefront III had a lot of issues in development and delays and ended up getting cancelled and that was before Disney.

EA is stupid for cancelling Amy Hennigs Star Wars game too.

IIRC, the studio that was developing BF3 came up on hard times during a downturn in the industry. They tried to shop around to get bigger studios or a publisher to pick them up so they could keep going, but Haze tarnished their reputation. The worst part is that the version of Haze that was released was not the version the studio put together. Rather, Ubisoft stepped in because they were publishing, and changed a bunch of stuff around. The final product was essentially Ubisoft's doing. So it's even more of a sting to see "LucasFilm Games" throw them the publishing rights for an open-world Star Wars game when none of their open world games have been any good in recent years, AND their actions arguably sunk a well-liked studio that was making a genuinely promising sequel to a beloved Star Wars game series.

RARusk

Well, this sucks. Went to purchase the MI games on my PS3 but can no longer acquire them. The info is still up but there is no way to buy the games as the purchase button is no longer there. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I went to see how much they would cost and you could still buy them then. Haven't seen any info on why they stopped selling them.

Zello
8 hours ago, TheMadHammer said:

IIRC, the studio that was developing BF3 came up on hard times during a downturn in the industry. They tried to shop around to get bigger studios or a publisher to pick them up so they could keep going, but Haze tarnished their reputation. The worst part is that the version of Haze that was released was not the version the studio put together. Rather, Ubisoft stepped in because they were publishing, and changed a bunch of stuff around. The final product was essentially Ubisoft's doing. So it's even more of a sting to see "LucasFilm Games" throw them the publishing rights for an open-world Star Wars game when none of their open world games have been any good in recent years, AND their actions arguably sunk a well-liked studio that was making a genuinely promising sequel to a beloved Star Wars game series.

That studio just had a lot of issues. I don't think it was Ubisoft's fault completely.

• Like 1