1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Why does many people here in GTAForums hated GTA 5?

JaeDan 101

Lower replayability compared to other titles. Story is about the protagonists being forced to work for the feds for an unknown reason. Missions like Scouting the port or whatever make it even harder to play. The last title in the series which finished single player and rockstar keeps adding rocket cars to Online.

Edited by Payne
On 1/13/2021 at 2:05 AM, JaeDan 101 said:

damn, Rockstar's hardwork is hated by many people

Its complex and has been said many times on here but I'll try.

We had III, VC and SA in five year period (hard to believe now). Each felt like a progression on the other - each game felt an improvement as it added more layers and new features. This was expected to continue with IV.  We then had to wait four years for IV (which seemed a long, unusual length at the time). IV took the series in a dramatically different direction. In a lot of ways, where it had to go. It massively improved graphics, core mechanics and story telling. It merged features with the story and made it more grounded and less cartoonish. However, it divided the fanbase hugely and led to a lot of soul searching of what a "GTA should be". Many hoped V would fix or reintroduce the features people felt missing from V - planes, countryside, customization etc - which in fairness, it added. The problem of course is V came out five years after IV, which again, seemed a bloody long wait at the time. V came out and basically failed to please a large amount of the fanbase:

• Countryside and planes... but one city. Doesn't fulfil the depth that we had in San Andreas
  • So much effort into gangs, with LA being infamous for its gangs, but with EVEN LESS gang involved than IV
  • Customization - but not to the extent of SA and limited to each character
  • Three protagonists did not work and made people realise how important one central protagonist was
  • The improved physics from IV were removed - not developed. This felt like regression. The famous lighter and gasoline mechanic was removed.

Ultimately V felt more regression than progression. This has left a bitter taste especially with such increases in gaps between games. If VI fails to feel like progression then the series will begina steady decline as that will then be three games, over a 15 year period (2008-2023) that felt like regression for large chunks of the fanbase, many of who are approaching or over 30 and grew with feeling of a new GTA as progressive.

This is why GTA V gets such hate. Its more frustration than hate, I would say.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:04 PM, Patrizio said:

Its complex and has been said many times on here but I'll try.

We had III, VC and SA in five year period (hard to believe now). Each felt like a progression on the other - each game felt an improvement as it added more layers and new features. This was expected to continue with IV.  We then had to wait four years for IV (which seemed a long, unusual length at the time). IV took the series in a dramatically different direction. In a lot of ways, where it had to go. It massively improved graphics, core mechanics and story telling. It merged features with the story and made it more grounded and less cartoonish. However, it divided the fanbase hugely and led to a lot of soul searching of what a "GTA should be". Many hoped V would fix or reintroduce the features people felt missing from V - planes, countryside, customization etc - which in fairness, it added. The problem of course is V came out five years after IV, which again, seemed a bloody long wait at the time. V came out and basically failed to please a large amount of the fanbase:

• Countryside and planes... but one city. Doesn't fulfil the depth that we had in San Andreas
  • So much effort into gangs, with LA being infamous for its gangs, but with EVEN LESS gang involved than IV
  • Customization - but not to the extent of SA and limited to each character
  • Three protagonists did not work and made people realise how important one central protagonist was
  • The improved physics from IV were removed - not developed. This felt like regression. The famous lighter and gasoline mechanic was removed.

Ultimately V felt more regression than progression. This has left a bitter taste especially with such increases in gaps between games. If VI fails to feel like progression then the series will begina steady decline as that will then be three games, over a 15 year period (2008-2023) that felt like regression for large chunks of the fanbase, many of who are approaching or over 30 and grew with feeling of a new GTA as progressive.

This is why GTA V gets such hate. Its more frustration than hate, I would say.

I think its likely that the next GTA game is divisive too because gaming & Rockstar have changed. The 3D Era was different, GTA 3, VC and SA all came out within four years and Rockstar used the same engine & expanded on the formula. Back then games were easier to make and had a short development cycle. Rockstar also had a different style back then, the games were more gameplay focused and cartoony. The story was based on popular movies and kept simple.

That won't be replicated. GTA IV was very different from the 3D Era, it didn't build on SA but instead made its own thing. The focus was on the story, the unrealistic gameplay elements were removed, the tone was dark etc. it was basically a reboot. And then GTA V didn't build on GTA IV (because of the backlash I assume) and was instead a mix of the 3D Era/GTA IV in terms of gameplay with a completely different type of story. The next GTA will again do its own thing imho, I doubt it will be this perfect mix of all the GTA's that will satisfy everyone.

People just need to accept the games as they are now, I don't think GTA IV or V were a "regression" just because they aren't exactly like the 3D Era games. 3D Era fans just seem to want a remake of SA at this point lol

Edited by FanEu7
  • Like 2

In terms of gameplay and graphics, absolutely it's my favorite GTA, The story though I couldn't quite get into. The missions were fine, I just couldn't connect with any of the 3 protagonists which is probably what my biggest issue was with V. 

• Like 2

-Poorly written storyline with too many protagonists that just make it extremely unfocused, considering how short it is for them, along with nothing but a cast of tryhard and hatable side-characters that are just there to make a shallow attempt at satire

-Big, cluttered and empty map, with no depth, no density or any reason to explore it as everything is so close to either roads, filler buildings and multiple useless mountains and hills that take way too much space, and the lack of enterable buildings or meaningful interactivity don't help either.

-Downgraded physics, that were mastered by its 5 years older predecessor, ended up in them being even dumber than a simple but effective pre-animated reaction from a lower budget game.

-Downgraded AI, that went from being functional, balanced and impressive (for its time) to irrational, robotic and agressive as Terminator.

-Almost no interesting side content or in-depth activities to take part in as you'd expect from a GTA game, there are no criminal side activities, no deep systems to make you interested in, you can't even touch your own bussinesses. This is a GTA game right? you would expect to have a reason to shot a criminal, to drive around the city, sell drugs, steal cars, do drive-bys, you know, live like a criminal, well, GTA V, doesn't have any of this, no purpose, no incentive, no "Pursuit Of The Almighty Dollar", but hey!, you can do yoga.

We all expected a mix between GTA SA and GTA IV on steroids, but we got a Saints Row game with a Just Cause map that happens to be directed by Rockstar instead.

NikoLiberty2008

1- GTA 5 was the only GTA I had to wait years to play because there was this Enhanced Version B.S for PC. (I bet many people had this problem as well).

2- Better graphics doesn't mean nothing. That's the reason why many people today still plays Vice City and San Andreas.

3- Weak storyline. Compared with previous titles like San Andreas and 4 is much much weaker.

4- Not impressing. Let's be honest, GTA 5 was just really impressive for the people that didn't played 4 or even San Andreas before.

5- Overrated. That's the worst problem in my opinion.

Don't misunderstand me. I really like GTA 5, I ain't saying that I hate the game. But it's far from the best. And after all, this is just my opinion, on the end of the day the only thing that matters is having fun playing it.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:48 AM, JaeDan 101 said:

I can't understand it, GTA 5 got the best graphics among all GTA's, and many people here in GTAForums hated it or voted it as their least favorite.

GTA 5 got the best vehicles, and the best weapons. And people still prefer GTA IV or GTA: San Andreas, why?

It's the cool thing to do.

I think it's a very good game, it has its flaws but it is very good still, is it the all time best one in the series? to me GTA Vice City Stories takes that spot, for people who dislike this game, I can understand when people discuss the story or characters, I have my own issues with it as well, but there are some things that are just whining for the sake of doing so, like the other day someone complained about how GTAV has a lot of light glare and light effects and blamed it on how it apparently attracts the young audience to the game, like what? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Now, I know it's a matter of opinions at the end of the day, but what I find stupid is when people group up to hate on this game but don't stop there, they also bash others for liking it, that is just stupid, hate it all you want (which I think is still weird if you are doing it every day like some sort of a routine, and I see that a lot in here lol) but let people enjoy it or express that they like it, that's all I am saying.

Speaking of this game, I was debating whether or not I should finish it again, but I think I might just wait until the new version is released; and getting a PS5 too which is a struggle at the moment, I want to replay this and RDR2.

Edited by MaddenedGhost

I don't hate it, but it's not one of my top favorites. Plus it was overhyped, it's overmilked, and C*'s primary focus. Plus, it's been re-released for the third time.

Edited by gtafaninwest

I don't know if this was actually the case around here, but the the way I see it...

GTA V was one of the most hyped games ever. People had all kinds of expectations about it. At the end of the day GTA V wasn't groundbreaking and neither revolutionary in any aspect. The three main characters feature was a thing, but it's nothing when compared to what GTA III did in the early 2000s (3D open-world) or even to what GTA IV did in 2008 (RAGE).

The game was "just" great. It was fun, rounded and polished like very few other games out there. Perhaps this wasn't enough for some people, but then they were setting the bar way too high. It's very difficult for a game to be really groundbreaking nowadays and it's even harder to determine when it is actually going to happen.

Edited by The Wolf Man
On 1/13/2021 at 1:48 AM, JaeDan 101 said:

I can't understand it, GTA 5 got the best graphics among all GTA's, and many people here in GTAForums hated it or voted it as their least favorite.

GTA 5 got the best vehicles, and the best weapons. And people still prefer GTA IV or GTA: San Andreas, why?

V has graphics with more fidelity, not the best though. It’s got more vehicles and more weapons...

Are you seeing the pattern? 

Considering the AI, physics and storyline, GTA V was a way down the hill compared to GTA IV, and didn't deliver as much content as SA did.

• Like 5
On 1/12/2021 at 8:48 PM, JaeDan 101 said:

I think that a lot of people in this particular forum are disappointed because what they wanted was for V to be more like IV. Some people also prefer the 3D Era GTA games over IV or V, but by and large, in my experience in this forum there is a lot of ongoing angst at V being, by and large, the antithesis of IV in a great many ways. 

On 2/9/2021 at 1:38 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Because of sh*t taste. Trevor's ballsacks alone were more interesting that IV's entire story.

Then again, so is a root canal. (lol just kidding)

• Like 3
hulkbuster098

Gonna reiterate here that V feels like the best in the series with how much has been improved. 

Story wise, I quite liked the story, it doesn't do anything to degrade itself or feel out of place in the GTA universe.

SA was, and still is, an incredible game. The fact that people continue to support and mod it even today should be an indicator to that. V is a reminder to that for me (besides location lol), because of how much stuff you can do in it.

IV...well, it's still a good game, but I personally didn't see it as strong as other entries in the series, personally. It kinda looks bland, and its biggest thing going for it is that it was a new entry to a new era of consoles. Clarifying, not dissing anyone who enjoys it, I'm just sharing my thoughts.

At the end of the day, I think it's simply a matter of taste. Here's how I see it:

GTA V = quantity
GTA IV = quality
GTA SA = quantity + quality

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Americana said:

No way. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is just quantity, no quality in that game.

What is V then lol?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Americana said:

No way. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is just quantity, no quality in that game.

I have to disagree with this. San Andreas had plenty of quality, but you have to really grade the game on a curve in a sense, because it was a PS2 game from almost 17 years ago. Rockstar had limited system resources to work with, and they still managed to maintain the same basic GTA formula that made III and VC so successful. Of course, San Andreas seems superficial and "quantity over quality" now, decades later. Just as I'm sure that as classic as it was, Tetris from the mid 80's seemed insubstantial compare to even GTA III in 2001. We take for granted today what devs can do with the PS4/XBone, and even both of them are at the end of their lifespan, only extended because of the shortages of PS5/Series-X consoles right now.

But I honestly think that, for its time, San Andreas was an incredible game with a f**k ton of quality, not just quantity. Of course, compared to today's modern games, with much more powerful consoles, not to mention developer budgets ten and twenty times what Rockstar was able to spend on SA, it's a no brainer. Rockstar spent I think $265 Million to create GTA V, and I could be wrong about this, but if I remember correctly, San Andreas cost only about $5 Million to create. I remember when San Andreas came out, being completely blown away by not only the huge map size, for its time, and the incredible depth of content quantity, but the sheer variety of and the quality of the missions and gameplay. Sure, by today's standards in gaming, San Andreas seems like typical, antiquated sandbox fare. So does Vice City and III, by the way. But for their times, they were all groundbreaking and of the highest quality.

As many have already said, its mostly a disappointment. Especially when I look at it now after all those years and compare it to my expectations (and the greatness of other R* titles)

Basically one could put it like this: many of us expected GTA 5 to improve on GTA 4 in a way like RDR2 did on RDR1. 

In the end we got a game that was obviously rushed and developed on an outdated platform. If they had developed it for the PS4/Xbox One and released it somewhat in 2014/15, things could have looked waay different (the "upgrade" that we then received was just a rather minor facelift that doesn't compare to the lost potential- so please, hands down).

The game looks good (graphics, atmosphere, map) that's what was pushing a major part of the hype back then. But when we got our hands on it, it turned out that it doesn't necessarily feel good (I remember I was watching a short leaked gameplay of it the day before release and I immediately recognized that a lot of mechanics and physics were in fact degraded instead of upgraded.) 

I'm sorry but a few honorable mentions must be made (again) in that regard: 

- The sh*tty vehicle and AI damage/interaction
- The absolutely sh*tty combat in general (both melee and firearms- how could you even mess up so badly compared to IV, RDR1 and Max Payne 3!?). In fact, the movement is a complete mess (no crouching, that stupid jog when "in action", bad aiming on controllers etc.)
- The aimbotting AI. Talking about the AI: the police that spawns out of everywhere the second you fart in pure wilderness and always knows where you are. 
- The map (while still beautiful) is certainly quite empty. Lacking interiors or larger forests, deserts and towns (half the map are just naked mountains). 
- The sh'tty flying, facing extreme (and physically nonsensical) random turbulence even with max flying skill with Trevor. Don't mention the fact that there is no place you can actually fly to, you're only turning in circles. (Why should I buy and fly a gold-plated private jet only to land it on an abandoned air strip in the middle of f*cking nowhere!?)
- One does not need to like GTA IVs driving to criticize Vs driving and vehicle mechanics (why can't I decide whether to leave the engine running or not?)
- The ambient world doesn't really feel alive: boring and predictable peds (don't get me started on the wildlife!), random events and easter eggs. (Compare to RDR2 for a real masterpiece, but in that regard it was even a downgrade relative to RDR1 which came out in 2011!!)
- Lack of things to do after the main story (yes, that's even more true of GTA 4). Boring and highly scripted side events (that lack in numbers) that are very repetitive. 
- Bad cheat system. (Well, that continued on from RDR1 and into RDR2, director mode is somewhat of an alternative at least)
- The story is nothing special in general. Not bad, but certainly not one of the best out there. The story missions are highly restrictive and do not allow for much replay value. The heists were rather disappointing (Blitz Play is one of the most ridiculous and cheaply borrowed missions in younger R* history). 
- GTA Online and the way they dumped single player, nuff said. 

In the end, we could ask: what were the real improvements and novums of the game back then?
Only three things could come to mind:
- Graphics and the atmosphere of LS/Southern SA (I'm personally a huge fan of southern California and LA)
- Vehicle Customization (I certainly missed it in GTA IV)
- Three Protagonists (good or bad?)

Everywhere else the downgrades either out-weight the small improvements or nothing has changed much. 
Looking at it now just makes me see a lot of wasted potential in most areas. 

RighteousMind369

if we were stuck playing any other R* title for 7 fking years we'd grow annoyed with it too.

GTAV has long run its course. Its just not a game that we should still be playing 7 yrs down the road and it ages poorly by the year. 

Controls, AI (which was bad since launch) mission structure, activities, etc. Its honeymoon perioud has been over for years and isnt a special gem anymore

• Like 2
On 2/17/2021 at 11:40 AM, Americana said:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is  quantity and quality .

You're goddamn right

• Like 2
On 2/9/2021 at 6:38 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Because of sh*t taste. Trevor's ballsacks alone were more interesting that IV's entire story.

Whilst it does put a lot of what you say into perspective to learn that you have tasted Trevor’s ball sack, I don’t think anyone here truly hates GTA V. 

• Best Bru 1
  • KEKW 2
On 2/17/2021 at 9:20 AM, Carl Theft Auto said:

Trust me they'll praise GTA V and sh*t on GTA VI once it's released.

dude.... like, shut up already. i've heard this argument a trillion times and it's wearing me out

no one here is going to automatically start praising GTA V once GTA VI comes out.

and before you say, "but you hated GTA 4 when it came out and then praised it when GTA V came out!" i loved GTA IV the first day i played it.

Carl Theft Auto
25 minutes ago, Niobium said:

dude.... like, shut up already. i've heard this argument a trillion times and it's wearing me out

no one here is going to automatically start praising GTA V once GTA VI comes out.

and before you say, "but you hated GTA 4 when it came out and then praised it when GTA V came out!" i loved GTA IV the first day i played it.

Image result for trevor kills johnny gif

Just block me before I kill Johnny myself