1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Stealing a top 3 free horses still possible?

zPhoenix

I spent about two hours trying to spawn a good horse at the location north of Saint Denis.   I used both method (save and exit, and walk away and come back)  but all I saw was Tennessee Walkers, Kentucky Saddlers and Morgans.  This method seems to be broken.

Before I waste any more time, do any of the other methods still work? 

zPhoenix

Tried 2 more methods... both a bust:

- Lassoed an NPC off a horse,  it did not spawn a new random horse as the method indicates.  Instead he went off walking.

- Went into a barn with a cart.  The cart disappeared the moment I got off.  Tried it again to see if I could fire the gun from the cart to get a disturbing the peace wanted before getting off... no gun available.

Is there ANY other way to get a decent horse in chapter 2?

DarkDayz
5 minutes ago, zPhoenix said:

Tried 2 more methods... both a bust:

- Lassoed an NPC off a horse,  it did not spawn a new random horse as the method indicates.  Instead he went off walking.

- Went into a barn with a cart.  The cart disappeared the moment I got off.  Tried it again to see if I could fire the gun from the cart to get a disturbing the peace wanted before getting off... no gun available.

Is there ANY other way to get a decent horse in chapter 2?

All of these methods were patched out years ago dude.

Best horse in game until Saint Denis is reached is the White Arabian.

• Like 3
zPhoenix
19 minutes ago, darkdayz said:

All of these methods were patched out years ago dude.

Best horse in game until Saint Denis is reached is the White Arabian.

That one is way up in the mountains somewhere, right?  Can can be tamed?

Also, how decent is a Thoroughbred?  (I occasionally see them in the field lose, but I was never able to catch one)

Edited by zPhoenix
DarkDayz
3 hours ago, zPhoenix said:

That one is way up in the mountains somewhere, right?  Can can be tamed?

Also, how decent is a Thoroughbred?  (I occasionally see them in the field lose, but I was never able to catch one)

The white Arabian is a really fast horse, but despite it's superior class, it is known to be very skittish, which is why people avoid it. You can find it at Lake Isabella, just north west of the 'I' on the map in 'Isabella'. In the bit of land where you are stood opposite the island. There are often predators there which will cause the horse not to spawn. Just camp near by - but out of sight - and it will appear eventually.

If you are early in the game you won't be able to get anything better until you advance enough in the game to unlock the Turkoman and Missouri Fox Trotter breeds. There are versions of these horses available early, but they are the common coat variants with significantly lowered stats.

The arabian is the best early horse. But a good saddle and tack will make most horses really good anyway, so I'd advise to just choose what you like until the Multi class breeds unlock (chapter 4 I think)

Edit* - You can also get mustangs in the wild, which are very good. Can find them at any point in the story between Emerald Ranch and the stables just south of it. All around that area they roam free.

Edited by darkdayz
  • Like 1
zPhoenix

@darkdayz Thanks for the advice.  I tamed me a Mustang and I am loving it.  Got attacked by wolves and she didn't even flinch.

I like it better than the Turkoman, Foxtrotter and Arabian I have in Online.

Edited by zPhoenix
DarkDayz
13 hours ago, zPhoenix said:

@darkdayz Thanks for the advice.  I tamed me a Mustang and I am loving it.  Got attacked by wolves and she didn't even flinch.

I like it better than the Turkoman, Foxtrotter and Arabian I have in Online.

No problem dude. The Dark Turkoman is my favourite. I was lucky enough to play the game early and obtain one via the glitch before it was patched.

I have recently gone online and seen they have a variety of new coats for the Turkoman which are all very nice, so I might have to jump back in at some point and make some money to buy a couple.

Edited by darkdayz
  • Like 1
Dan_1983

Through patience and a lot of reloading you can get a SDP Missouri Fox Trotter (best breed in game IMO) in Chapter 2 at Moonstone Pond from a random encounter where a woman's horse has died.

Sometimes the horse is alive and not dead, so just feed it as it's health is low and saddle up. Best time for it to spawn alive is dawn.

Edited by Dan_1983
  • Like 1
zPhoenix
8 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

Through patience and a lot of reloading you can get a SDP Missouri Fox Trotter (best breed in game IMO) in Chapter 2 at Moonstone Pond from a random encounter where a woman's horse has died.

Sometimes the horse is alive and not dead, so just feed it as it's health is low and saddle up. Best time for it to spawn alive is dawn.

I tamed a mustang and it is excellent but will definitely do this.  I love my foxtrotter from the online moonshiner.

Edit:  First try the woman was leaving and the horse was dead, would not accept reviver.  Second try attacked by a pack of wolves before I could even approach it... died.  Third try... no woman.  Many tries later... never saw the random event again, gave up.

Edited by zPhoenix
  • Like 1
DarkDayz
On 1/13/2021 at 6:27 PM, Dan_1983 said:

Great to know. I'll definitely be doing this on my inevitable next gen playthrough if and when it is released. Any YouTube links of the encounter you can share so that's it an easy spot when I get to it?

Edited by darkdayz
Dan_1983
21 hours ago, darkdayz said:

Great to know. I'll definitely be doing this on my inevitable next gen playthrough if and when it is released. Any YouTube links of the encounter you can share so that's it an easy spot when I get to it?

Buddy Hightower

You should get the horse you like the looks of and ignore the stats. In Story-Mode with Arthur I only use 1 horse, the free pre-order war horse.

Spoiler

Once I get to end game I mostly use the horse you can get from the vet with 1/2 a leg. I save that mission for John.

Montana Actual

So... No sh*t here I am in my new bear hat trying to figure out how to get a Missouri Foxtrotter... 

zPhoenix

I tried to get the Foxtrotter for hours, could never get it to spawn still alive and eventually gave up.  It was the best thing that could have happened to me since I tamed a Mustang as a compromise since it was much easier to find. 

That was the best thing that could happen to me.  It is not as fast but the Mustang is so steady around dangerous wildlife that I am very glad I was forced to use it in Story mode. 

I might even get one for Online if I find a reason to keep playing Online after the current challenge streak ends in a few days.

• Like 1
Dan_1983
On 1/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, darkdayz said:

Appreciate that, thanks mate!

You're welcome