4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

The official GTA IV missions appreciation thread

Algonquin Assassin

Algonquin Assassin

I love just about all of the missions in GTA IV. Of course some are better than others, but even still I love how R* managed to make some of the shorter and structurally simpler missions still feel memorable in their own way through great cutscenes and dialogue.

Overall I love how the missions put Niko's role as a hired gun/assassin to great use and the freedom to do most of these missions in different ways. Wow. Love it man.

So what are some of your absolute favourites?

In no particular order.

Three Leaf Clover. It's just a classic, balls to the wall heist with some of the most intense gunplay segments I've ever experienced in a GTA game. I love how the haphazard planning almost makes it seem real when the McRearies trip over themselves and the whole thing goes down the sh*t shoot rather quick.

Museum Piece. I've said this before , but I love this mission because it's the only mission throughout GTA IV/EFLC that binds Niko, Johhny and Luis together and we get to see it from all of their perspectives. I've always imagined it as something Tarantino would put in one of his movies or something.

Call & Collect. On paper this just sounds like a "go  here, kill this guy" type mission. but I think it's creative how you have call the blackmailer first to extort information and pay attention in a crowd of people looking for someone answering a phone to figure out who it is. It's just a nice little touch if you ask me.

Roman's Sorrow. This is the first time we hit rock bottom after Dimitri's betrayal. The apartment's burnt down, the taxi depot's burnt down and we have to flee to Bohan. The way Niko and Roman converse in this mission is simply incredibly and feels so natural as Niko's trying to keep Roman holding it together.

Truck Hustle.  If nothing more this is an excellent example of a one off mechanic done well. It's so fun trying to steal the truck as Niko's climbing over it.

I'll Take Her . I find this mission oddly hilarious for some reason. It's probably because I find Gracie to be an insufferable bitch so I was rooting for Niko when he knocked her out cold during their struggle.

There are many others obviously, but I could write a novel on this stuff lol. I'll let you guys discuss now.:p

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 9
DR:BUSTA

Hey this looks very familiar

Anyway my favorites are

_Three Leaf Clover: I don't think I have to explain why this is the best mission in the game the rampage is huge and challenging and the cutscenes are both halirious and serious  and we see the criminals of the McReary family in this mission

_Tunnel of Death : Similar reasons to the one above it in this game the more harder the survival is the better since the gunplay is better than the others so I have no problem repeating them

_The snow storm: I can't count how many times I have repeated this one it was hard asf but you can go stealthy using the ladder which makes it more interesting 

_Museum Piece : it's hard to turn it into story appreciation thread since I want to talk about the cutscenes and the story since these are one of the reasons that makes the gunplay much more fun and interesting 

Truck Hustle: it was a fun and unique  and shows  what Niko is capable of doing reminds me that one time Cesar Vialpando Hijacked a truck

_Rigged to blow : I love these missions in every game in the series driving a rigged vehicle into a place and watch it go kaboom

Edit : How did I forget about hostile negotiation it's one of my favorites killing these people and trying to survive while Niko is screaming I AM LEAVING HERE WITH ROMAN when I was playing for the first time I wasn't ready for the mission and went with only one gun and no armor 

After the mission Niko was literally full of blood there was no clean area left in his body

Looked very badass BTW

My only complain is that I wished the game had more stealth mechanics or stealth themed missions since Niko was a soldier and it would work with him and make it more engaging  and SA and VCS already had stealth mechanics so why not I will search for a mod for that one when I replay the game

Edited by DR:BUSTA
  • Like 2
Americana

I love missions in Grand Theft Auto IV. Almost every mission there is. For me the best missions are the ones that are simple. I love how I can play them however I want to, at least most of them. 

I don't need crap like in other Grand Theft Auto games where every second missions breaks the immersion or is simply stupid.

Oh, many people don't like missions in Grand Theft Auto IV because they are... umm... boring...? But... I guess I'm the person who doesn't like crap like we've seen so many times in Grand Theft Auto V, or other Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. For me it's better to have a simple shootout with goons, than... stealing a jet... or jetpack from the military base. What the...

My favorite missions are the ones that are very simple and realistic. So... most of them, if not all. I don't like missions for Bernie because this dude breaks my immersion.  Nevermind, though. I think that every mission in Broker is my favorite one. I can really feel like an out of the boat gangster.

Edited by Americana
  • Like 2
Wayne Kerr

Packie and Ray have the best missions in the game imo,  Packie's missions are generally intense shootout type missions and IV does this type very well, Three Leaf Clover is awesome and there's even Waste Not Want Knots which is another great robbery mission except here you are robbing from the mob which has its own excitement. And I like the missions relating to the diamond subplot. 

IV's missions have the best gunfights in the series I really like them

I also like missions where you have to blast your way from level to level to get at an objective and then make your way back fighting through the cops. Hostile Negotiation(except for cops part) and Holland Nights are examples of these and I guess Snow Storm too.

Also like that some missions give you choices like whom to kill and whether you can spare certain characters, thats interesting

and theres the Youtube series by whatever5710(?) that shows you the various options you have to complete several missions in IV, theres nothing else like it in the series.

Edited by Utopianthumbs
  • Like 3
Thelema93

Meltdown.. feel like the f*cking terminator.. mowing down the lackeys than hunting down Luca in the toilet while he cowers.. love scenes/missions that display just how cold and deadly Niko really is.. 

Late check-out.. the freedom in this mission is amazing.. real hitman Esque vibe.. great shootout, great cutscene at the beginning where Ray loses his sh*t.. Niko's a consummate professional..

Bleed out.. always loved this one.. real pinnacle in the story.. love the melee system and the Krav Maga counters.. great dialogue at the end of the mission about Bulgarian..

Blow your cover.. unlocking the big Apple.. meeting playboy ( one of my favourite characters) Johnny cross over.. great vibes in this mission.. 

Dish served cold... Poetic way for Dimitri/Niko hate affair to end.. where it began... Would of been a great finale.. 

Weekend at Florians.. any story mission with Roman is the tits.. including Roman's sorrow and hostile negotiation. 

Deconstruction for beginners.. playing as a soilder of fortune has never been so fun.. 

• Like 2
FanEu7
17 hours ago, Americana said:

I love missions in Grand Theft Auto IV. Almost every mission there is. For me the best missions are the ones that are simple. I love how I can play them however I want to, at least most of them. 

I don't need crap like in other Grand Theft Auto games where every second missions breaks the immersion or is simply stupid.

Oh, many people don't like missions in Grand Theft Auto IV because they are... umm... boring...? But... I guess I'm the person who doesn't like crap like we've seen so many times in Grand Theft Auto V, or other Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. For me it's better to have a simple shootout with goons, than... stealing a jet... or jetpack from the military base. What the...

My favorite missions are the ones that are very simple and realistic. So... most of them, if not all. I don't like missions for Bernie because this dude breaks my immersion.  Nevermind, though. I think that every mission in Broker is my favorite one. I can really feel like an out of the boat gangster.

Yeah I appreciate how grounded GTA IV's missions are, really glad they didn't go with the over the top stuff there. It wouldn't fit at all, GTA IV is more of a gritty crime drama while SA and V are more like some comedies

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
5 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

Yeah I appreciate how grounded GTA IV's missions are, really glad they didn't go with the over the top stuff there. It wouldn't fit at all, GTA IV is more of a gritty crime drama while SA and V are more like some comedies

That's what I love about the missions too. I wouldn't necessarily call them "realistic", but none of them feel out of place. Although I do agree above some more emphasis on stealth would've been great. It's always puzzled me why the suppressor didn't make its way into the game.

Combined with GTA IV's relatively un-restrictive nature of the missions that would've been awesome. Flatline and Final Interview get very close, but I would've liked to have seen some more missions like them.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 3
FanEu7
21 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

That's what I love about the missions too. I wouldn't necessarily call them "realistic", but none of them feel out of place. Although I do agree above some more emphasis on stealth would've been great. It's always puzzled me why the suppressor didn't make its way into the game.

Combined with GTA IV's relatively un-restrictive nature of the missions that would've been awesome. Flatline and Final Interview get very close, but I would've liked to have seen some more missions like them.

Yeah its weird how a game focused on the protagonist being a Hitman didn't have more stealth options (like the suppressor should have definitely be here + SA esque stealth system but improved). 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FanEu7 said:

Yeah its weird how a game focused on the protagonist being a Hitman didn't have more stealth options (like the suppressor should have definitely be here + SA esque stealth system but improved). 

It's really weird since SA and VCS already had stealth mechanics and SA had this unique idea where you can go stealthy or start a gunfight 

Which makes most of the Missions more worth it to replay and it was well done 

But the game with a hitman protagonist doesn't have real stealth mechanics 

I remember playing GTA 4 for the first it always bothered me how Niko always entered the place where the target is at and  then a cutscene pops or suddenly everyone points a gun at him and there's no real real choice her 

I wish if Niko could knock his enemies out by Hitting them on their head or stabbing them with a knife from their back like CJ or even break their necks like Vic Vance

I will just search for a mod I guess 

• Like 4
Algonquin Assassin

Yeah. Some of R*’s decision are odd. In San Andreas and GTA V for that matter I hardly use stealth because it feels like a lot of missions don’t really cater for it even though the mechanic is there.

In GTA IV I can think of a heap of missions where using stealth would be an ideal means of completing them, but there’s no mechanic.

It’s like they go from game to the next, gut a mechanic that would’ve been ideal and/or place it another have that doesn’t really take full advantage of it. Can anyone honestly say they use “stealth” in GTA V for the missions?

• Like 3
Thelema93

Let's not forget the random encounter missions.. I remember my first playthrough being so excited whenever I'd see a blue blip appear on the radar.  Ecstatic to find out what kind of freak I'd be meeting next.. Eddie Low, Jeff and Sara being my favourites.  Great, fun little subplots to distract you from the gritty main story.. V didn't even come close to replicating the epicness of the random encounters.  Mary Ann and Barry suck in comparison.. the only decent ones were the Nigel and Thornhill series . 

• Like 5
billiejoearmstrong8
8 hours ago, Thelema93 said:

Let's not forget the random encounter missions.. I remember my first playthrough being so excited whenever I'd see a blue blip appear on the radar.  Ecstatic to find out what kind of freak I'd be meeting next.. Eddie Low, Jeff and Sara being my favourites.  Great, fun little subplots to distract you from the gritty main story.. V didn't even come close to replicating the epicness of the random encounters.  Mary Ann and Barry suck in comparison.. the only decent ones were the Nigel and Thornhill series . 

I also like how the random characters are a mix of brand new strangers and characters you've already previously met in main missions (it's about half of each). Blending together main and side missions like that really adds to the feeling of the city being real/believeable and everything being connected, and it's cool to catch up with characters you thought you were done with in a different setting like that. I actually do like the strangers and freaks and random events in V (I guess IV's random characters are somewhere between the two) quite a bit, but it kind of sucks that they're all completely separate from the main story. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1
Algonquin Assassin

With regards to the random characters I guess most of the missions aren’t that great. Pretty simple quests for the most part, but the encounters themselves are fantastic.

For example I thought it was cool how Brian had his own mini story. We first meet him and he’s all doped out of his mind, then we see him and see him again and again when he’s cleaned up. Plays out like an unofficial subplot to the story.

I also like the mixture of completely new characters and the ones from the story. Like if you spare Ivan, Cherise and Clarence you get to see them again. 

• Like 2
FanEu7
On 1/13/2021 at 5:08 AM, Thelema93 said:

GTA IV's random encounters are better because they feel like real characters, V's just feel wacky and obnoxious (see Mary Ann, Beverly, Dom, Josh etc.). Not to mention often they basically become repetitive collectibles type of missions which are always lazy

Edited by FanEu7
  • Like 1
Americana

Not to mention that in Grand Theft Auto V the radar and map is cluttered with when you don't do these lame side-missions.

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
2 hours ago, Americana said:

Not to mention that in Grand Theft Auto V the radar and map is cluttered with when you don't do these lame side-missions.

Yeah. I hate that. Maybe it’s an OCD, but it’s distracting having question marks dotted all over the map. Makes every look messy and unorganised  IMO.

I like in GTA IV that you get a little green figure on the mini map only when you’re close to them.

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8

I don't have many complaints about the Strangers and Freaks and Random Event missions in V, I like them. But one thing that really annoys me is how buggy and inconsistent the random events are, it can be a nightmare getting them to show up/trigger (it can be very fussy about the time of day and the direction you come from and sometimes they just don't want to appear), if one shows up and you don't do it you'll be waiting ages before it'll show up again, and they can often go wrong (for example if you do so much as enter a gun store while giving one of them a lift it'll instantly end). Strangers and Freaks have worked ok for me but I've heard of people having trouble with some of them showing up too. 

In IV I've never had a glitch in any of them and the markers show up when and where they're supposed to without fail every time and you can drive and away and come back or start and fail as many times as you want and it still shows again right away no problem. I like to keep a save with all the side missions unlocked but not completed just so I can replay them when I want and it's much more convenient and problem free doing this in IV than in V.

afxtwin

The greatest mission ever conceived in the history of video games undoubtedly is Escuela Of The Streets. Starting with arguably the most well-written and likeable character in the whole story, Manuel Escuela. We get to listen to him talk about introspective topics whilst you have to tail a guy (which, tailing missions are just a staple of great game design) by suspiciously and abnormally driving 2 car spaces behind him for 2 minutes, instead of driving like a sane human being (which makes a awful lot of sense, because when you are closer = suspicious, but when you drive like you suffer from schizophrenia  = not suspicious) - which then erupts into the most glorious and standout shoot-out of all time. 

It really does further develop the story, and Niko as a character, and its inclusion definitely was a necessary one. Simply brilliant.

Edited by afxtwin
  • Like 2
  • KEKW 2
13 minutes ago, afxtwin said:

The greatest mission ever conceived in the history of video games undoubtedly is Escuela Of The Streets. Starting with arguably the most well-written and likeable character in the whole story, Manuel Escuela. We get to listen to him talk about introspective topics whilst you have to tail a guy by suspiciously and abnormally driving 2 car spaces behind him for 2 minutes, instead of driving like a sane human being (which makes a awful lot of sense, because when you are closer = suspicious, but when you drive like you suffer from schizophrenia  = not suspicious) - which then erupts in the most glorious and standout shoot-out of all time. 

It really does further develop the story, and Niko as a character, and its inclusion definitely was a necessary one. Simply brilliant.

Life just doesn't want to help me Forgetting

Cheatz/Trickz

Hostile Negotiation is one of my highlights. Just the pure rage of Niko is captivating. The location, the level design, the atmosphere, all fantastic. Niko is a terminator in this mission. One of the best shootouts in the series. 

I also really like the Marnie encounters. They cemented Niko as one of the greatest characters ever created.  

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
13 hours ago, afxtwin said:

The greatest mission ever conceived in the history of video games undoubtedly is Escuela Of The Streets. Starting with arguably the most well-written and likeable character in the whole story, Manuel Escuela. We get to listen to him talk about introspective topics whilst you have to tail a guy (which, tailing missions are just a staple of great game design) by suspiciously and abnormally driving 2 car spaces behind him for 2 minutes, instead of driving like a sane human being (which makes a awful lot of sense, because when you are closer = suspicious, but when you drive like you suffer from schizophrenia  = not suspicious) - which then erupts into the most glorious and standout shoot-out of all time. 

This is hilarious but I do genuinely enjoy this mission a lot once it's the shootout part. You can choose to just shoot the door and walk right in as suggested, or you can climb up to the roof, grab the smg up there, and drop in through an open roof window, or you can break the window to the left of the door and climb in to enter via the office. And then it's just a nice classic shootout with the added highlights of seeing the Sprunk spill when you shoot the boxes and a well placed forklift that you can choose to shoot at to kill one of the enemies with the explosion. Plus although the tailing is a bit tedious and Manny is annoying, the conversation is funny ("It's these streets man, I feel them running through my veins", "You sound like you've got something else in your veins" lol). Even "bad" GTA IV missions are good 😛  

DownInThePMs

Was playing bleed out and while i was chasing dardan and cry by godley and creme was playing on the radio. It was pretty unnerving to listen to considering the fact that the song was still playing even after i threw a visibly afraid dardan out of the window into the humboldt.

Theres just something about an unscripted track  that was fortunate enough to be playing in that exact situation that made dardans death feel more like a senseless cold blooded murder rather than a typical satisfying antagonist death that youd normally find in most games. I dont think ive felt this way in a gta game since.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 2
Americana

I'm doing another Far Cry 5 run, and I will use it as an example for one thing - I like that Rockstar didn't decide to include nothing over-the-top in Grand Theft Auto IV. Missions are simple and realistic, same could be said about characters in the game. In Far Cry 5 we have a very dark story surrounding the murderous cult, but Ubisoft decided to include a lot of stupid "funny" characters in the game, which ruins the immersion. Grand Theft Auto IV rules in every aspect.

That's why I don't like Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony because it has so many stupid-ass missions.

Strangers and Freaks have worked ok for me but I've heard of people having trouble with some of them showing up too.

Sadly, it's true. Whenever I do another run of Grand Theft Auto V I complete main missions, and then I go for side-missions. It's so stupid that sometimes I have to wait several days for them to spawn - especially that last stupid mission for Barry, or for that idiotic paparazzi. Just let me finish all of them in a row, thanks.

We get to listen to him talk about introspective topics whilst you have to tail a guy (which, tailing missions are just a staple of great game design) by suspiciously and abnormally driving 2 car spaces behind him for 2 minutes, instead of driving like a sane human being (which makes a awful lot of sense, because when you are closer = suspicious, but when you drive like you suffer from schizophrenia  = not suspicious).

Did Rockstar hurt your feelings when they didn't include amazing Spook-o-Meter from 3D Era Grand Theft Auto games? 

Also, to be honest, I'm pissed that Manny steals my car and never returns it back. What the hell, dude?

Edited by Americana
Niobium

GTA IV haters: I HaTe gTa iV'S MiSsIoNs tHeY'Re sO RePeTiTiVe!!!!

GTA IV:

it's their fault for doing the same thing every playthrough and not using their imagination.

they must enjoy getting "MISSION FAILED: so-and-so was abandoned" for stepping slightly out of bounds in GTA V🤷

Edited by Niobium
Americana

I don't even think that's the problem. I'm sure babies cry, because in Grand Theft Auto IV they have to shoot people and drive around instead of stealing a jet while wearing a clown costume, or doing some other stupid crap.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
Niobium
7 hours ago, Americana said:

I don't even think that's the problem. I'm sure babies cry, because in Grand Theft Auto IV they have to shoot people and drive around instead of stealing a jet while wearing a clown costume, or doing some other stupid crap.

"there's too much driving and shooting in my driving and shooting game!"

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Niobium said:

GTA Is more than a Driving and shooting game

For most people it's the open world experience where you can do different and unique things 

Some people actually are surprised why is the game called GTA and it's not only about being a criminal

Only huge GTA fans who played most of the games would get your point 

• Like 2
Jeansowaty
8 hours ago, Americana said:

1 hour ago, Niobium said:

A guy I know says he hates GTA IV because SA had planes and IV did not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, Jeansowaty said:

A guy I know says he hates GTA IV because SA had planes and IV did not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I see he's a man of culture 

• YEE 1
  • KEKW 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Liberty-TG

GTA IV has a lot of great missions. Three Leaf Clover for me is better than the majority of GTA V heists. Three Leaf Clover feels unique and satisfiyng. 

That Special Someone is the mission that questions Niko's past decisions and life in Liberty City. Darko wasn't worth killing in my opinion.

Museum Piece was very interesting. Also playing it from Johnny and Luis perspective was interesting. The whole diamonds chapter was very complex and well done, and like Niko said, too many people were involved.

I wish the next GTA gives the option of killing/sparing people and that having consequences to the story.

• Like 1