1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Unpopular opinion: The "bad" ending is the correct one (Spoilers)

Accuracy_challenges

Accuracy_challenges

Most people, as it seems, decided to go with Jonh. Meanwhile, i decided to go back for the money. I stand by my choice.

1. By going back for the money, you stand a chance to turn attention away from Jonh. This might actually be more helpful than going with him. 

2. Arthur is dying, but the money could potentially be used by him to go west to a warm state like California and live for a couple of months more.

3. It's natural that before his death, Arhur would want to take revenge on people who betrayed him. 

4. It's 40 f*cking thousand dollars. Even nowadays, that's a lot of money, but 122 years ago it was probably enough to last you a very long time (https://www.officialdata.org/inflation/red-dead-redemption "For example, if you started with $1, you would need to end with $31.35 in order to "adjust" for inflation (sometimes refered to as "beating inflation")).

5. I know it's silly to think that way, but we know that Red Dead Redemption 1 is a thing, and we know that Jonh, Jack, Abigail are all alive at the beginning of it. Therefore, it makes logical sense to go back for the money, since you know that whether you go with Jonh or not, they are going to be fine.

6. If you don't go back for the money, Hosea, Lenny, Sean, Grimshaw will all have died needlessly.

• Like 1
TheJesus1996

I just did that choice last time but with honorable Arthur.

I never got the impression he wants the money for himself but to lure Dutch & Micah away from John, plus the knife fight with Micah is more satisfying since we get his eye. I also think it makes more sense for Charles to find his body in the old camp rather than a random mountain.

But I get we all want to see our favourite character die peacefully looking at the sunset.

Cutter De Blanc

40,000 in 1899 is about 1,143,000 dollars today

Why exactly didnt we sail to tahiti,  I'll never know

Dying of tuberculosis is anything but peaceful, you drown to death in your own blood

A quick death was probably more merciful

Edited by Cutter De Blanc
  • Like 1
darkdayz
3 hours ago, Accuracy_challenges said:

1. By going back for the money, you stand a chance to turn attention away from Jonh. This might actually be more helpful than going with him. 

2. Arthur is dying, but the money could potentially be used by him to go west to a warm state like California and live for a couple of months more.

3. It's natural that before his death, Arhur would want to take revenge on people who betrayed him. 

4. It's 40 f*cking thousand dollars. Even nowadays, that's a lot of money, but 122 years ago it was probably enough to last you a very long time (https://www.officialdata.org/inflation/red-dead-redemption "For example, if you started with $1, you would need to end with $31.35 in order to "adjust" for inflation (sometimes refered to as "beating inflation")).

5. I know it's silly to think that way, but we know that Red Dead Redemption 1 is a thing, and we know that Jonh, Jack, Abigail are all alive at the beginning of it. Therefore, it makes logical sense to go back for the money, since you know that whether you go with Jonh or not, they are going to be fine.

6. If you don't go back for the money, Hosea, Lenny, Sean, Grimshaw will all have died needlessly.

1. We know that John gets away absolutely fine when you help him instead of going for the money. So it's irrelevant really how much more helpful it is.

2. If you get the money he still dies, so no that's not possible.

3. Not really, the game pretty much pushes you to do good in the time you have left, telling you many times revenge is a fools game.

4. It's a lot of money, but it is absolutely pointless to go back for the money because Arthur is an inch from death. John would only gain from the money and he didn't want to go for the money.

5. True, but I think I want my John to remember Arthur for his compassion in the final moments of his life and take those lessons forward.

6. You get the money from Dutch at the end of the epilogue anyway, so not really.

Alexlecj

Hosea would definitely have wanted Arthur to ensure John's safety away from the gang. That's the whole point of his numerous conversations with John.

I feel like going for the money was pointless for Arthur since John shows himself alive in the final confrontation, meaning that Arthur still had something to live for the short time he had left.

The Wolf Man

I think the game is open to interpretation. Rockstar encourages you to play as an honourable outlaw and to get the most rewarding ending, but there are no canon paths in the story.

Arthur himself is a very ambivalent character. He's capable of doing both good and bad deeds and it's up to you to decide what his true nature is.

Edited by The Wolf Man
English
  • Like 3
AgroDaCheese

The last choice between choosing to go for the money or get John to safety was a really weak choice. R* really only put it there just so there would be multiple endings, but it could've been better.

What if instead of the "Return for the money" option, there was a "Get Revenge" option that would more sense for Arthur? Arthur always talks about revenge being a fool's game, but what if Low Honor Arthur was the opposite of that, and would instead be driven by revenge at that last moment. I think this option would have incentivized more people to pick it, and doing it would have different consequences (Cut Micah's eye, probably burn the money so that Dutch and Micah don't get it).

So as it stand right now, what motivation does Arthur really have to return for the money if you have High Honor, and what motivation does he have for helping John with Low Honor? (although Low Honor, Help John ending does make more sense for the Redemption part of the game (and is also my favorite ending)).

Cutter De Blanc

I feel like we're all glossing over the fact that drowning to death in your own blood and liquified remains of your lungs is a horrible way to die

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1
Ryo256
1 hour ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I feel like we're all glossing over the fact that drowning to death in your own blood and liquified remains of your lungs is a horrible way to die

B-But what about the pretty sunset?!

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1
JB1982

Technically they are all the correct ending. For me, that's the whole point of having the multiple endings and the low honour and high honour. It allows you to play the game your way, make choices as you see fit. Therefore whatever ending you get is true to your version of Arthur and how you have read and interpreted the game.

• Like 3
billiejoearmstrong8

I think it's incorrect to categorise them as a "good" and "bad" ending. That's already covered with the high honour/low honour versions of each. One does have a slightly more pleasant outcome than the other but there's plenty of reasons to justify Arthur going back for the money rather than going with John that aren't just being bad or selfish. I don't think it's intended that the choice is quite as black and white as one is good and one is bad.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
The Wolf Man
3 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

But the two other options are:

B) Getting shot in the head by Micah.

C) Being stabbed three times by Micah (two in the back and one in the chest).

At least with option A he dies of a natural cause and facing a beautiful sunrise.

• Like 2
  • Bruh 1
Cutter De Blanc

Micah kills Arthur quickly instead of a slow painful death

I fail to see your point.

Maybe its more artistic looking but its a horrible way to die

Edited by Cutter De Blanc
The Wolf Man
1 hour ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Micah kills Arthur quickly instead of a slow painful death

I fail to see your point.

Maybe its more artistic looking but its a horrible way to die

All three are horrible ways to die. And it's not like Arthur kept agonizing for hours in the sunrise ending, he seemed to be in peace and died rather quickly.

Maybe it was an unrealistic portrait of it but I gurantee you that being stabbed in the back and bleed to death ain't much better.

Edited by The Wolf Man
English.
rml_gta

I don´t think so, because it wouldn´t fit with  Arthur´s character moral evolution clues given by the game with the characters and other things IMO, I mean, the game is about "Redemption" as the title says and as happened with the first game, the protagonist has to try to do better things or try to fix bad choices made in the past, Arthur is presented as a bad gang bully dude but you start realizing that he is not like that when you do the Mary missions, when you talk to Rains Fall(my favourite character of the game apart from Arthur of course) and you see he is not a bad person, he is just a broken man who thought being that tough guy could make him better but in the end he realizes that´s not like that, and he must help the people who loves and cares of. Also when you do the last mission with bad honor you are still helping your "brother" (John Marston) and when you talk with Rains Fall in Annersburg in 1907 with John, John says "Arthur saved my life, he gave his" and Rains Fall says "That doesn´t surprise me one bit" like saying, "I am not surprised because he was a good person who could sacrifice himself to save his "family" ", his "real family", the ones who not betrayed him at the end of the story, the ones that he loved and take care of, that´s why I think the canon ending is helping John to get safe with good honor(the sunrise ending in the mountain, like, "I can rest in peace now, I have tried to make my redemption for all my bad choices made in the past, dying knowing my "brother" can get a new life with his family because I helped him")

Edited by rml_gta
Cutter De Blanc

See I dont get it because I spend the entire game antagonizing John.

I only chose "Go with John" the first time because I thought doing the good thing might save Arthur