3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Tommy Vercetti is the most badass GTA protagonist

FanEu7

I prefer Niko as a character and some of the others feel more human and fleshed out but Tommy is just a 100% badass throughout the story which has its own appeal.

With his boss personality it really felt like he was taking over the city and a real leader of a criminal organization. With CJ I never got the same feeling even though he also has lots of stuff at the end.

Ray Liotta gave a great performance as well, easily his best role after Goodfellas

Edited by FanEu7
  • Like 2
Algonquin Assassin

Tommy's take no sh*t, cutthroat style is what makes him so awesome. I mean yeah in most ways he's pretty one dimensional, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing for the type of game Vice City is.

He's the perfect "boss" archetype to be leading his own organisation because he lets nothing stand in his way.

• Like 3
FanEu7
Just now, Algonquin Assassin said:

Tommy's take no sh*t, cutthroat style is what makes him so awesome. I mean yeah in most ways he's pretty one dimensional, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing for the type of game Vice City is.

He's the perfect "boss" archetype to be leading his own organisation because he lets nothing stand in his way.

Yeah its not a bad thing at all since after Tommy Rockstar always tried to make the protagonists more human (didn't always succeed, I still prefer Tommy over most protagonists) so he is pretty unique for the series. I think a lot of the charm also comes from Ray Liotta's performance, with a more generic  voice he wouldn't be so badass

• Like 2

Yeah. He is a badass.

We at least get a protagonist that takes no sh*t from anyone.

• Like 4
DR:BUSTA

Yes 

I had this thought for a bit that he never had a real threat that can show how badass he is  but then realized that he is too badass to have a threat literally the other day after killing Diaz he destroyed the mall with his face so he can show the City that he can't be f*cked with

• Like 1
Wayne Kerr

busta Niko: runs away from their home Roman built with his blood and sweat because they were scared of some Russians

based Tommy: Doesnt give a f*ck that Diaz is coming after him but instead teams up with Lance and obliterates his ass outta this sweet earth and gets himself a new home, better than anything the depressed Slav got.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1
Algonquin Assassin
24 minutes ago, Utopianthumbs said:

busta Niko: runs away from their home Roman built with his blood and sweat because they were scared of some Russians

based Tommy: Doesnt give a f*ck that Diaz is coming after him but instead teams up with Lance and obliterates his ass outta this sweet earth and gets himself a new home, better than anything the depressed Slav got.

Busta Tommy. Drowns in a few feet of water.

Based Niko. Swimming? Hold my beer.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • KEKW 1
Wayne Kerr
11 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Busta Tommy. Drowns in a few feet of water.

Based Niko. Swimming? Hold my beer.

Its better to drown than wade in the filth that you call the ocean in Liberty City, Niko is guaranteed gonna get cholera in future and GTA paramedics cant heal that like they can heal drowning

But yeah Tommy worked really well as the protagonist of Vice Citys power fantasy story not many other protagonists could have made taking over a city feel as satisfying. He is badass but he also has a human side as seen with his interactions with Earnest and how he felt pained by Lance's betrayal. These moments are somewhat few yes but then again he lost 15 years of his life in prison and was thrown in an unfamiliar environment soon as he got out so he didnt have time to take any nonsense from anybody and was a man on a mission to build his own empire. So yeah he may have been one dimensional but I like to think it was cause his  focus was making up for lost time and making his own empire, can respect that and makes him a badass to me

• Like 1
  • fir thi bairns 2
testarossa 86

out of all the protagonist, you do feel powerful with Tommy.

you essentially take out many gangs and eventually take over everything where in the end you don't work for anyone, you own everything.

even though some argue he's just a "ripoff Tony Montana", I still feel as if he's the best protagonist in all the games, mostly due to the story overall.

• Like 2
Phil McCrevis

Yes I agree. Does anybody know how to play as younger version of Tommy before events of Vice City? Like unofficial back story in the 70's. I asked in the mod section but still waiting on an answer. Would love to play also through GTA III Story instead of Claud speed so he can tel Salvatore f*ck of and run away with Maria like mercedies in the start of the party mission with old clothes and loafers. Who would like this?

Press thumbs up if you do. And if you don't know say nothing or if you don't. I think it would be great.

I saw in GTA 4 section members can do great things and this is older so hopefully this is possible with old codes. Maybe cheat codes to change the models or something? Even on video. Let me know.

• Like 1
FanEu7
2 hours ago, Phil McCrevis said:

Yes I agree. Does anybody know how to play as younger version of Tommy before events of Vice City? Like unofficial back story in the 70's. I asked in the mod section but still waiting on an answer. Would love to play also through GTA III Story instead of Claud speed so he can tel Salvatore f*ck of and run away with Maria like mercedies in the start of the party mission with old clothes and loafers. Who would like this?

Press thumbs up if you do. And if you don't know say nothing or if you don't. I think it would be great.

I saw in GTA 4 section members can do great things and this is older so hopefully this is possible with old codes. Maybe cheat codes to change the models or something? Even on video. Let me know.

Never seen a mod like that but it would be interesting. I always wanted to see a younger Tommy working for the mob in LC. 

• YEE 1
Roboticist

He and Niko are the good ones. As much as I grew up with San Andreas, CJ felt kind of generic to me? Like pretty average but that's just my opinion.

FanEu7
11 hours ago, Roboticist said:

He and Niko are the good ones. As much as I grew up with San Andreas, CJ felt kind of generic to me? Like pretty average but that's just my opinion.

I like CJ a lot but he doesn't compare with Tommy and Niko, too much of a pushover at times (like with Sweet) and despite owning so much later on in the game never felt like a "boss" like Tommy did.

Roboticist
6 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

I like CJ a lot but he doesn't compare with Tommy and Niko, too much of a pushover at times (like with Sweet) and despite owning so much later on in the game never felt like a "boss" like Tommy did.

The main issue that he doesn't have a personality like he's never consistent or speak up. He's basically a drone that does whatever people tells him to do but yeah, he's pretty memorable.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
PsyWarVeteran

He sure is.

"I'll be back here in 5 minutes!"

And he really does, 5 minutes make 5 hours in game but still, pretty badass to me!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even think there's a possible universe where he isn't the dudes based on the f*cking idea Scarface But He Lives An idea so good it was reused by an official scarface game on the same exact systemmaxresdefault.jpg

BrainDeadRaven
On 1/12/2021 at 4:49 AM, Wayne Kerr said:

CJ: Gets sent by Gov to handle Russians, Triad to handle Vietnamese gangs, stole a hydra, AND a $60 million jepack, and not only didn't drown in a pond, but used to deep see dive for oysters. Seriously, the American 007.

The ONLY thing that made Tommy such a badass was Ray Liotta, because having him from Goodfellas gave you that automatic connection to his character, it rode off Goodfellas entirely in that respect.

Still, can't deny you always enjoy being Tommy when its time for him to react to something lol.

In regards to CJ though, I think he was someone taking whatever road was put in front of him to keep things moving, because he had alot of huge problems and no clear action plan, which I'll give Tommy, that boy ALWAYS had a plan. The first real time CJ really does what he wants to is the Heist, that was the first all him thing that Wuzi just road along with. It would have been nice to have him pull a Tommy and just come into a town with full plans to take that bastard over.

Edited by BrainDeadRaven
  • Like 1
  • YEE 1