1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Why do many GTA fans hate Online?

FanEu7

Its overall pretty fun and Rockstar has regulary delivered good DLC over the years. I doubt GTA VI would come sooner even without Online, games these days just take more development time

Gettin up

I think the reasons are that they scrapped GTA V SP DLC and some people just don't like Online as much as SP.

And we might had heard something from GTA 6 already, if GTAO wasn't so successful.

• Like 10
TheJesus1996

I casually play Online and when I do I mostly hop in solo and try to simulate a single player experience, but it is an Online mode after all and public lobbies are a must in order to play some content. That's were my main problem is... the player base is unnecessarily aggressive, just last night I was minding my own business and accidentally crashed with another player lol no harm done until I realized he started to chase me all across the map just to get the satisfaction of killing me, say what you want about Red Dead but players there are pretty chill.

Another thing is the constantly spamming phone calls smh so freaking annoying.

I guess in the end players are tired of R* only giving attention to this mode for 7 years now...

• Like 8
HamwithCheese

Because it's a terrible game. A great service, but awful game.

Edited by HamwithCheese
  • Like 4
ilovefreebird

MKII Oppressor.

/thread

Edited by ilovefreebird
  • Like 13
Shadowfennekin

"bEcAuSe It DeLaYeD gTa  VI"

• Like 7
  • KEKW 3
NULL AND VOID

The overall experience is a very negative one. I'm lucky enough to have the time to play GTA Online far more than anyone should.. I often think about the players who only get to play for 1 to 2 hours at a time. You can literally get sh*t on the entire time.

There wouldnt be as much criticism but Rockstar decided to limit much of their features to PUBLIC sessions. And they are so toxic you can literally develop cancer playing this sh*t for real for real. 

Invite and Solo public session can feel like heaven sometimes. It's incredibly smooth. And it's like a Single Player expansion... But sometimes you yearn for the company of others for the spontaneity..even if the majority are thoughtless and uncreative teens or just Unchill douchebags. I'm equally disappointed with the playerbase as I am with how Rockstar handled GTAO... But alas it's just a business about money.

The gta classics still go hard to this day though.. I still play gta3 on my mobile 😛

• Like 8
LodwigRedemption

It's just not a good experience. It's the law of the jungle - you either adapt to the bs that sometimes this game puts you through, or you give up and go back to singleplayer GTA experiences. The game itself is not bad and has many very interesting and fun ideas and elements to it, but it lacks cohesion imo. Personally, I only play GTA Online because the new content from Rockstar is there, but if I had to choose between a singleplayer DLC and an Online DLC I would choose the first in a heartbeat

• Like 12
CarimboHanky

mmm what can i say, while gtao online has delivered thousands of hours of fun, i think it has run it course.

for the past 3 years or so the game have been more of an annoyance than fun, it has focused on adding nothing but over priced stuff, 99% of the businesses are a reskin of the other, it lacks balance, it lacks creativity, it lacks freedom, everything good has to be purchased, etc etc

dont get me wrong, the game can be fun at times but overall its a broken mess of a game.

and while current games do take more time to develop, theres no doubt that the success gtao has pushed gta 6, from a business point of view, i cant say i blame them, why bother releasing a new game when you have a money printer in gta v/gtao(911 million in revenue in 2020).

• Like 5
ddarko12

The only reason I ever got involved with GTA:Online was because they stopped adding content, and eventually cars, to SP mode. That is literally the only reason. I now play a modded version of V in SP only.

Why don't I like GTA:Online? Because it just feels like a milked game that is kind of a watered down version of SP. I mean think about it. The graphics are sh*ttier. Theres less peds, less cars, less props, it's still running off of 2013's traffic popgroups.ymt. It runs like sh*t. The missions and activities are generic. The characters don't talk. All of the storylines are full of unlikeable and annoying characters and simple, cliché goals. And the "economy" is so unbalanced and bizarre.

And yet this is the mode that gets all of the updates. Why? It never does, never will (and certainly doesn't look like) be the complete version of the game. The only reason it's the focus is because it makes money.

Why else don't I like it. Because mediocrity is acceptable. We live in an age where people are content with paying for/investing time into sh*t that was made badly because "I take whatever I can get" "it's not that bad" "I don't like to complain or those who do" "I'm not entitled" etc. And because toxic positivity and "good vibes only" is in and if you have any complaints, you're the problem.

Well... like it or not. Complaints invoke change. Well... to anyone worth their salt. Otherwise you just fix the sh*t yourself somehow or move on. People are so content with bullsh*t today and it shows all over the gaming industry and I've never been much of an actual gamer and yet I can see it. Any time there is complacency in the making of a product or if the "fans" are content with whatever they can get, you get mediocrity. If you wanna make money, then great. Well, if you're running a business (if you're the clientele and you agree with that I'd argue that's why your life is so bad and why you're so unhappy). But where is the passion? It has gone, and nobody can find it anymore.

So what do you get instead. Watered down content that isn't great, isn't terrible (most of the time, there are exceptions). It's just okay... and it costs a lot. Like... a lot. Stupidly expensive cars. Houses. And somehow the houses/penthouses are always done in the most cookie cutter fashion, with layouts that get old after a few visits. Tell me why I've downloaded user-created lore-friendly houses and penthouses that still amaze me after months of use? The same goes for cars. But Rockstar does worse, almost objectively, and everyone is okay with it. They're okay "working" on a game for hours or days to make a few mil to blow on one or two cars they'll drive maybe 5 times and be broke all over again. And thenyou also have a fanbase that is ready to come at you with pitch forks if you even so much as complain about one little thing. People are so obsessed with who is a "spoiled little brat" for their opinions that the completely disregard how much of an unlikeable and brainless consumer they are. They are what made things this way, and apparently they're happy about it and that's that.

Well guess what. It isn't for me. I see the content fans create and I'm like "why can't Rockstar do that?" And it's nothing over-the-top. It's just consistent. Something Rockstar lacks these days. The biggest problem though is this mode is the main reason SP died. And it makes me sick, honestly.

• Like 8
  • fir thi bairns 1

I much prefer SP as it feels much more alive. Online is like a stripped version of GTA 5 but with added ridiculous DLC that make most lobbies very unenjoyable because some f*cking kids on flying broomsticks feel the need to just kill everyone.
The DLC's they added are fun, sure. But they feel like they should've been in something like Saints Row, not a GTA game.
Would've much preferred more SP DLC.

• Like 4
SummerFreeze

GTA Online has very little to do with what made GTA such a successful video game series. But it makes more profit in its current iteration.

• Like 5
testarossa 86

many argue that the game lacks SP content, or just doesn't cater to people who play solo.

while, yes it doesn't have much solo content, GTA Online feels best when you play with your friends and do stuff with.

with the Cayo Perico Heist, it's good now they are starting to finally add SP type content, but that's stuff they should of done back when they added the Doomsday Heist since it was originally a SP DLC.

it seems when the game received the most hate when it added the Oppressor and recycled the business CEO supply stuff for Gunrunning & Smuggler's Run.

to me the core part of GTA Online such as having your own customized character with your own customized cars appeals to me still.

Edited by testarossa 86
  • Like 4
ilovefreebird
13 hours ago, ddarko12 said:

The missions and activities are generic.

Online can almost entirely be summed up as, "go over here, pick something up, and take it over there." If I wanted to be a delivery driver, I'd apply to UPS.

• Like 7
Lotte

Honestly i don't think i'd be complaining about the repetitive mission structure if the mechanics of the game were built to make this stuff a bit more fun. Like, if the gunplay was fun and maybe if our characters weren't made out of tissue paper and if the driving felt 25% better it'd still be a little plain, but it'd be less of a chore than it is currently. but also that's not the big problem i have with gta online

It's that at every opportunity rockstar is so obviously trying to wring money from it's players. Everything is so overpriced that the only ways of getting them are by grinding missions or businesses (which, even if they were a bit more mechanically sound, still would get pretty old pretty fast) or giving up and buying a cash card with your actual, real money. its so transparent and it sucks so bad that if we want anything at all we've got to jump through these stupid hoops over and over again for something that usually itself is such a slog that the effort to go through to get it is itself never worth the trouble

• Like 4
Gunbladelad

The popularity of GTA Online has put what appears to be a permanent hold onto the development of the next single-player GTA game.  A simple look at the history of GTA releases will show that longest delay between GTA releases was about 2 or 3 years - it's now been 6 years since the release of GTA V (and GTA Online was a month later) - meaning that there has now been more than double the usual time period between releases passed and there's no indication of any sign of the next single-player GTA anywhere in sight.

• Like 2
lol232

I have about total 2,500 hours in GTA Online, literally unlocked 90% of sh*t including awards and I just got f*cking tired of it. I want some singleplayer stuff. which GTA O cancelled.

• Like 3
MayoChiki
2 hours ago, ilovefreebird said:

Online can almost entirely be summed up as, "go over here, pick something up, and take it over there." If I wanted to be a delivery driver, I'd apply to UPS.

This is literally every GTA/RDR installment, let's not kid ourselves. The thing that disguises this in single player is the cutscenes, dialogue while driving and the scripted events during chases that turn the game into a playable cutscene. R*ckstar hasn't changed their game formula since III, except now there's even less freedom since they want missions to play only one way (RDR2/late GTAO), thus making the sandbox obsolete. What makes this more obvious in GTAO is that missions are gameplay only with barely any story or major narrative since all DLCs have to be treated like the player's first major operation to not throw new players off. Not only that makes the story impossible to get invested into but our characters don't even make any progress and are still treated as errand boys for whatever new sh*tter appears (they treat El Rubio as some kind of criminal deity for having a dozen blind guards and a few cars while the Gunrunning and Doomsday Heist updates make us international warlords above everything).

Also, the quipping over radio gets old really fast. Our characters really don't have any reason to do any of these things anymore, but they can't build upon that and has to be one-off character after another. Without story, GTA is just "go here for objective, whoops enemies are on the way, kill them. Oh, that one is escaping and has objective, kill them. We got the objective, let's go back, whoooooops, enemies are after us. Oh hey, we lost them, now let's end mission". I'd say different environments can shake the formula a bit, but movement in interiors is so sloppy it's more annoying than everything, and with all enemies having the same accuracy/RNG damage there's no reason to even consider different strategies for different missions

Edited by MayoChiki
  • Like 8
Kajjy

Because singleplayer suffered at the hands of the success of Online and the painful part is that it brings in so much money that this will be the new norm. Some people say "But RDR2 sp good!" and yes it is very good, but single player support post launch is no longer a thing with Rockstar. Sure you can turn to modding SP, but every update put out to cater to Online breaks mods and I don't even play Online so. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Online was actually fun to play, but everything costs so much money and I don't enjoy grinding heists to pay for one car. Of course, the reason for this is they want you to buy Shark Cards and I think that is a really dirty business practice that Rockstar gets away with because they are Rockstar. I mean, I know they need to make money, but they push it so far that the experience of the game suffers.

And also just that I don't like online games very much. It feels way more shallow compared to a single player experience. I don't find pvp very exciting (which I guess is just me considering how many companies are opting to make their games have more multiplayer elements and interactions) and Online actively encourages other players to kill you which has cultivated a very toxic player base. 

But really what stings the most is there is nothing I can do about it. They are going to keep releasing updates for Online that rake in millions of dollars, then do the same when the next installment of GTA releases. There's really no alternative game to turn to, Rockstar dominates the openworld sandbox market and I love the silly parody lore of GTA (perhaps less so post IV but I digress). It just saddens me to see the series take such a turn in the name of the almighty dollar.

• Like 5
Razgriz67

It started as a sh*t show (even excluding the character erasing bug from day 1) It was just one of the first battle royal games but without perma death. for the longest time the only reason to be in a lobby was to be a in a private one to chill with friends or a public one where it was get a tank and kill or be killed (keep in mind you had to be level 100? to get an RPG otherwise you had no way to fight a tank aside of one of your own) there was no other reason to be roaming the lobby aside from say clothes or tattoos or upgrading your car

then once the DLCs started dropping (VIP) it became a focused firefight going after anyone doing VIP Lobby Work (especially since only 1 VIP (and MC for that matter, yes you gotta share) can do lobby work at a time. which undenounced to us gave R* a great idea of how to make missions difficult without making it difficult.

And very quickly R* not only forced us to be in public lobbies to do anything, no more going to a private lobby to do some VIP work since I wonna say since MC Drugs we had to be public? anyways then they also actively started encouraging players to go after each other by rewarding trolls by giving them a few bucks (hell now you can steal half the sh*t others are doing) or actively discouraging you being a lobby by yourself (Looking at you vehicle warehouse with the BS NPCs shooting at you when in empty lobbies)

The Cayo is one of the first things in a VERY VERY VERY long time that we can actually do in a private lobby

Edited by Razgriz67
  • Like 7
nb2010

I love online. 

Has its faults, too many to mention but you all know what they are.

Important to remember its just a game and no one is forcing you to play it.

• Like 6
  • KEKW 1
BOOGIEMAN219

I have been playing GTA since vice city. Once online came about SP was dead for me. Not just in GTA but all games. 

• Like 1
Aquamaniac

I love and hate Online at the same time, I love it because of the opportunities, the beautiful landscape etc. I hate it because of the players, its waste of potential and repetitiveness. I used to play on 360 until recently and am I quite disappointed about Next Gen because it didn't meet my expectations. Having a MC is meaningless, owning expensive cars is pointless when you are easy target for flying idiots, so I stay with the Duke o'Death I got for free. I find even less players for doing races as on 360 (not talking about open wheel and stupid stunt races). Doing bussiness or mandatory heist preps on full lobbies is frustrating. Perico Heist earns a lot of money, but for what purpose? To become a griefer myself, to buy ridicilous expensive cars that are not even real? Why would I want to own a fake Ferrari in a game full of idiots which I cannot drive in public lobbies because the griefers and find no races to use it too and spend days of playing or even real money on it? For the price of some supercar in real money I could buy various Forza titles or The Crew 2.

In my vision of GTA there would be biker gangs of real people who do not mess with others for no reasons, there would be car guys showing of their low riders or supersports not being bombed by aircraft, maybe wannabe militias who pick up on bikers or on other militias, Online should be more co-op, players vs. AI, not flying idiots destroying everything that crosses their path, just because they can. You can avoid all this by doing the old heists and missions but this becomes very repetive and often I find no players too for older missions, so it's always the same Gerald and Solomon missions.

Maybe I should look for roleplaying people, but they seem to be another extreme, I am not playing GTA to keep speed limits and the like.

• Like 4
AirWolf359
On 1/11/2021 at 12:18 PM, Aquamaniac said:

Doing bussiness or mandatory heist preps on full lobbies is frustrating.

You can do Casino and Cayo Perico all in Invite-Only if you want. Only doomsday preps and business sales require public.

I play Invite most of the time, only go public when I need to sell bunker/nightclub. And if there's a lot of killing going on, I'll split into solo public.

Edited by AirWolf359
  • Like 1
poland stronk
On 1/9/2021 at 7:46 PM, FanEu7 said:

Its overall pretty fun and Rockstar has regulary delivered good DLC over the years. I doubt GTA VI would come sooner even without Online, games these days just take more development time

It is plagued by many issues from poor game design to technical aspects + the overall mediocrity compared to masterful single-player content. GTA Online feels like (or rather it is) an after-thought after Rockstar finalized GTA V development.

First are multiple long loading screens. Getting from start screen to a session with your friends can take 10-20 minutes regardless of your hardware.

The game tries to mesh together PvP with single-player/co-op activities but does that rather poorly. The PvP isn't exactly the strong aspect of this game.

Rockstar has also earned a reputation of predatory company due to GTA Online leaning into P2W MTX experience. They also tried to ban single-player modding.

I was warning everyone here about the direction of GTA Online back in 2015 when the game has received Ill-Gotten Gains Part 1 DLC (the first after The Heists update). I believe that update introduced Yachts costing whooping 10 million GTA$. It sounds like "I've told you" but what I mean to say is GTA Online was for majoriy of it's life-span like it is now. People who dislike it had many reasons too do so and during those 5 years the developers didn't fix core issues from player feedback. GTA Online also lacks a community manager who would step-up and say why new DLCs are the way they are and how company works on their products. 

• Like 4
AUScowboy

Well I think it all started with R* reneging on SP DLC. Then the price of shark cards and the in game economy in general. I don't hold a grudge as some of them do and I still play GTAO, but both of those still sting my ass to this day. I really wanted to play that Alien War DLC with Chiliad all opened up into an alien base..

• Like 3
Buddy Hightower
2 hours ago, AirWolf359 said:

You can do Casino and Cayo Perico all in Invite-Only if you want. Only doomsday prepsand business sales require public.

I play Invite most of the time, only go public when I need to sell bunker/nightclub. And if there's a lot of killing going on, I'll split into solo public.

Yep, but don't you see how "wrong" this is?

Simply put we should be able to choose FRIENDLY lobbies where players cannot kill each other.

Invite only is great if you have friends to invite, but you'll never get 30 people in an invite only lobby.

• Like 6