4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Beginner questions

zPhoenix

zPhoenix

I have been playing RDO and recently started with story mode, completed Chapter 1 and I am doing some free roaming to get some basics going before I proceed with the Chapter 2 missions.  Yes, I did view a ton of videos so I have some idea of important things to do.

There are many things that puzzle me, so I'll probably add to this thread over time, but for now:

1) I seem to die a lot.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or should I just save often... and in that case, is there a quicksave button?

2) What is the best way to get more ammo?  In RDO you did missions, earned money, then bought it.  But in Story it seems (at least at first) a lot harder to earn money.

3) How do I unlock the Hosea early mission that unlocks a bunch of critical stuff (like stables, fence, etc), the one that you hunt a bear?  I talked to him, but no mission.

4) The following bugs me in RDO too.  Horse movement (left/right turning) seems to respond to both <a-d> keys as well as the mouse, leading to some very unpredictable horse behavior at times.  Is there a way to disable the mouse for horse turning, so that it just remains for which way you look?

5) Early hunting... no matter what I do the things that I hunt seem to always lose quality (I still have only the original weapons).   Is there anything I can do at this stage besides getting the Bolt Action (Chapter 3) and Varmint rifle (no idea how/when to get)?

6) Eagle Eye's slow-motion in story mode drives me nuts.  Is there a way (now or later) to get rid of the slow-motion behavior?

7) More than once an NPC attacked me, I defended myself and still get treated as the assailant.  Then have to go after witnesses or pay the bounty.   Is there a way to avoid being accused of the assault when defending myself short of killing all the withnesses?

8 ) The game is constantly removing my weapons from the weapon slots, having to reset them in the horse constantly.  Is there a way to avoid this?

Edited by zPhoenix
zPhoenix

I am starting to suspect that Story mode is nearly dead.  Not a single reply so far.

Anyway, I *suspect* that I found some answers and have more questions:

2) I did the Polite Society, Valentine Style mission and it unlocked the gunsmith at Valentine (even though it does not show in the map even when I fully zoom in).  I should now be able to buy ammo and weapon upgrades.  It also unlocked the Valentine Butcher.  At the gunsmith I got the Varmint rifle... now I should be able to get small animal pelts that don't lose quality.

3) I found the Hosea mission after finishing Polite Society.  That unlocked the horse barn and trapper and even though it far out there by the VE of Hanover, I should be able to kill a bunch of animals and sell the pelts for cash.  I assume the Trapper pays more than the Butcher.  In any case... it is a renewable source of cash.

GinsengElixir

Not a PC player on this game and also not as detailed a player as many are here, but my advice is just play the game as it comes. Mechanically it is far from a perfect experience but overall it is more rewarding when you play naturally - doing missions and free roaming - you will find alot of stuff. It's not like in online when it comes to grinding etc, because it's not really an RPG in that sense.

If you're dying alot remember to take cover.in good positions. It's easy to get swarmed by enemies and Arthur is not a bullet sponge. You will never run out of ammo in this game, just remember to loot enemies and locations. 

I think a better hunting rifle becomes available if you help the guy who gets bitten by a snake. He is usually near Flatlake station. When you go back into Valentine a day later he is outside the gunsmith. Speak to him.

One of the most annoying things in game is the weapon reset. Unfortunately, atleast on console, the game has a bad habit of forcing weapons on you before missions. I just do a quick change on my horse.

Early on the best way of killing animals for me was with the bow. It requires patience because they spook if you get too near them.

The wanted system is also kindof of off. If I ever got in that situation I would go off and hide.

• Like 1
Montana Actual
On 1/9/2021 at 7:25 AM, zPhoenix said:

I have been playing RDO and recently started with story mode, completed Chapter 1 and I am doing some free roaming to get some basics going before I proceed with the Chapter 2 missions.  Yes, I did view a ton of videos so I have some idea of important things to do.

There are many things that puzzle me, so I'll probably add to this thread over time, but for now:

1) I seem to die a lot.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or should I just save often... and in that case, is there a quicksave button?

2) What is the best way to get more ammo?  In RDO you did missions, earned money, then bought it.  But in Story it seems (at least at first) a lot harder to earn money.

3) How do I unlock the Hosea early mission that unlocks a bunch of critical stuff (like stables, fence, etc), the one that you hunt a bear?  I talked to him, but no mission.

4) The following bugs me in RDO too.  Horse movement (left/right turning) seems to respond to both <a-d> keys as well as the mouse, leading to some very unpredictable horse behavior at times.  Is there a way to disable the mouse for horse turning, so that it just remains for which way you look?

5) Early hunting... no matter what I do the things that I hunt seem to always lose quality (I still have only the original weapons).   Is there anything I can do at this stage besides getting the Bolt Action (Chapter 3) and Varmint rifle (no idea how/when to get)?

6) Eagle Eye's slow-motion in story mode drives me nuts.  Is there a way (now or later) to get rid of the slow-motion behavior?

7) More than once an NPC attacked me, I defended myself and still get treated as the assailant.  Then have to go after witnesses or pay the bounty.   Is there a way to avoid being accused of the assault when defending myself short of killing all the withnesses?

8 ) The game is constantly removing my weapons from the weapon slots, having to reset them in the horse constantly.  Is there a way to avoid this?

1. Stop dying, lol. I don't know of a quick save, but saving frequently will help, also, autosave. I've never had a problem with this so I suspect it's your play style. In fact, I don't ever die. It's too easy to use dead eye in combat even at the lowest level that won't allow you to tag targets. Get proficient.

2. Loot bodies. Earning money is easy, you just have to plan accordingly. You can be rich before chapter 2 even ends. I suggest multiple playthroughs to perfect this. Also, follow the guides and don't miss the missable stuff as Arthur. It's a huge story with a lot of missable things. Your first playthrough won't be optimal, but your second might be and your 3rd should be.

3. You have to progress a little through chapter 2 to get the full benefit of being able to free roam and obtain an upgraded camp/satchel and become rich. Unfortunately, this also involves debt collection through hitler... I mean strauss... Do his chapter two missions then redeem yourself by forgiving debts later in the game. You should only have to focus on a couple missions to do all this.

4. I gave up on keyboard/mouse controls for this game. It's terrible. Maybe for aiming in RDO - which I don't play and this is the somewhat incorrect location to post on for it - it's beneficial, but for this game, a controller works best. It's weird b/c ever other game I will play using keyboard/mouse, but horse controls are terrible in this game with the pcmr perks.

5. Find the legendary buck and get the trinket. It provides a better chance of getting better pelts. And of course, shot placement. Good luck on snakes!

6. Slow motion? That's eagle eye. It's perfect. Increase your sensitivity?

7. If someone attacks you it's because of something you did. Anyone who deserves shooting will never raise the eyebrows of passer by's - like the O'driscolls. Sheriff's and police witnessing might still draw attention, obviously. Don't antagonize. Don't instigate. Words to live real life by.

8. Use the weapons locker. This game is the same as GTA V in that aspect. It's terrible. At least they offer a way to stash unused weapons in RDR2. Remove any you don't use. Personally, I only keep the minimum I need. A repeater, the rifle, the .22 (awesome weapon btw), bow - which you really don't need aside from some story missions, and your sidearms. Other than that, if you have too many weapons, prepare to cycle.