3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

What are your thoughts on Ray Boccino?

FanEu7

I think he is a memorable and likable character, I really don't get why Niko hated him so much.  He helped him with Florian and paid him pretty well.

He was better than his actual boss, Jimmy who seemed more insecure and whiny

• Like 1

Ray Boccino is one of my favorite characters in Grand Theft Auto IV.

• Like 3
Algonquin Assassin

I don't really see how Niko hated Ray.

He was only annoyed at Ray's handling of the diamond deal and given how that turns out I really don't blame him. It's not like he went on some spiteful vengeance quest after him.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I don't really see how Niko hated Ray.

He was only annoyed at Ray's handling of the diamond deal and given how that turns out I really don't blame him. It's not like he went on some spiteful vengeance quest after him.

When he talks with Phil and Roman about Ray its clear he really dislikes him for some reason. He calls him a "pest, cockroach, snake etc." & I don't really get why

Edited by FanEu7
  • Like 3

Loved him.. I consider him one of Niko's greatest adversary's.. it was clear from the beginning that Niko didn't like Ray.. don't think it was necessarily business oriented but more his personal ethics.. his character.. Niko likes straightforward, honest people with integrity.. something Ray does not have.. I really wish Rockstar had kept the choice in pest control.. I would of loved to be able to play through a spare Ray angle.. 

Edited by Thelema93
  • Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
3 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

When he talks with Phil and Roman about Ray its clear he really dislikes him for some reason. He calls him a "pest, cockroach, snake etc." & I don't really get why

Even still I think it’s unfair to suggest that Niko dislikes him for no reason. The diamond deal mess is a perfectly valid reason why Niko may have ill feelings towards him.

To me Niko’s attitude to him isn’t that much different to Vlad, Francis etc and other shady, non-forthcoming people he comes across.

14 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Even still I think it’s unfair to suggest that Niko dislikes him for no reason. The diamond deal mess is a perfectly valid reason why Niko may have ill feelings towards him.

To me Niko’s attitude to him isn’t that much different to Vlad, Francis etc and other shady, non-forthcoming people he comes across.

Yeah but that's the problem. Ray isn't nearly as bad as Francis and Vlad who threaten Niko multiple times and try to screw him over & force him to do certain jobs.

Ray was greedy but pretty loyal. The diamond deal becoming a mess wasn't even his fault. 

Algonquin Assassin
17 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

Yeah but that's the problem. Ray isn't nearly as bad as Francis and Vlad who threaten Niko multiple times and try to screw him over & force him to do certain jobs.

Ray was greedy but pretty loyal. The diamond deal becoming a mess wasn't even his fault. 

Sure, but remember Ray fed one of his water management owners to a garbage truck. Loyal to who? 

I’m not saying he’s worse than Vlad or Francis, but maybe Niko’s experience with those type of people was wearing thin and his intolerance became more apparent as the story wore on.

I get the diamond deal mess wasn’t entirely Ray’s fault, but he was still enough of a reason to get under Niko’s skin.

3 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Sure, but remember Ray fed one of his water management owners to a garbage truck. Loyal to who? 

I’m not saying he’s worse than Vlad or Francis, but maybe Niko’s experience with those type of people was wearing thin and his intolerance became more apparent as the story wore on.

I get the diamond deal mess wasn’t entirely Ray’s fault, but he was still enough of a reason to get under Niko’s skin.

Wasn't that because he betrayed him?  Harsh punishment but still

Could be but it seemed a bit extreme. Either way I wish they kept the original choice (you could decide who to kill Ray or Phil). That would have been a more difficult decision than the Francis/Derrick or Playboy/Dwayne one for me

Algonquin Assassin
12 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

Wasn't that because he betrayed him?  Harsh punishment but still

He was holding out on profits apparently. Not really a betrayal. Ray’s obviously not as bad as some of the slimeballs Niko encounters, but I still wouldn’t trust him.

12 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

Could be but it seemed a bit extreme. Either way I wish they kept the original choice (you could decide who to kill Ray or Phil). That would have been a more difficult decision than the Francis/Derrick or Playboy/Dwayne one for me

Yes.

It would’ve been a difficult choice as Phil never really wronged Niko either.

If it was a choice on my first play through I probably would’ve chosen Ray for the reasons stated. It would’ve been a conundrum, but that’s what my gut would’ve eventually went with.

• 2 months later...

Guy had a ego and was a serious prick. I didn't mind the fact Niko whacked him.

• Like 2
On 1/8/2021 at 9:03 PM, FanEu7 said:

I think he is a memorable and likable character, I really don't get why Niko hated him so much.  He helped him with Florian and paid him pretty well.

Not likable at all as he treated his employees like dirt (waiter scene). Phil told Niko about Ray's political moves within mafia and it was apparent he was ass kisser and influence peddling rat when he wanted cut from Niko for introduction to Pegorino. There are clues in the game that Ray was closeted gay.

RenegadeAngel

I had thought he is a total douchebag up until the moment I finished the game again a year ago. He turned out to be one of the nicest, most straightforward(in a good way) dudes in the entire game. Kinda sad he was pushed around the whole game + dlc and a pretty anti-climactic death on top of that too. Good guy!

• Like 1