3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

CJ is a good character but I wish he was more consistent

FanEu7

Overall CJ is iconic but sometimes in the story I just don't get him. Like in the Catalina missions, she treats him like sh*t and he just takes it. Sure he needs money but what about dignity?

And then he randomly buries some construction worker alive because he insulted his sister, that seems really extreme for him.

Also I don't get why he does those crazy missions for the Truth in the desert, he doesn't get anything out of it. With Toreno it makes sense since he wants to save his brother but here the motivation was weak

• Like 1
muvdafucupouttahere

Agreed. I think the problem with CJ's character is that he was the first ever protagonist to show "depth" yet R* just never got to figure out how to keep him balanced. His character is just all over the place. He's said to be the more nonviolent type yet buries a foreman in sh*t for such a weak ass reason. Then he kills a manager of a famous rapper all because some wannabe bitch said so. He then gets pissed off at Toreno and says he "risked his life out there for him" even though what Toreno sent him to do was hardly any more extreme than breaking into Area 69 to steal an expensive jetpack. All this and he keeps complaining about how hard he has it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Roboticist

The problem with CJ that he doesn't have an actual personality or even have something remarkable and distinctive. He's just the type that goes with whatever people tells to him and that's what made him not very likeable for me.

Edited by Roboticist
Payne

He seemed too powerful to be f*cked with by the likes of CRASH. There are some crap missions but they still show him as an extremely dengerous person yet he doesn’t use his power to save his brother from Jail. When he does save him, he gets angry with Carl due to him ignoring the hood. I could say Carl actually didn’t care about his brother? I guess not. There are the Catalina missions, f*ck her and f*ck them.

• Like 1
DR:BUSTA
1 hour ago, Payne said:

with by the likes of CRASH.

CRASH are above everyone 

They can ruin the greatest at anytime

Algonquin Assassin

Lets also remember at one time San Andreas was meant to have multiple protagonists so the times where he comes across as a bit inconsistent are probably where R* overstretched things somewhat by placing him into situations intended for another character possibly and altering things to suit CJ. Then again that's purely speculation of course, but it does have some merit IMO.

When I played San Andreas last year I really warmed to CJ more than I had before. He's definitely no Niko, but I understood him finally I think. Like for example I always used to think he was being a pussy around Catalina, but then I got to think he was pretty much fiddling her (when you look at it deeply) and using her so he could make some money to get back on his feet rather than being outright scared of her. It was pretty smart all things considered.

In saying that when he buries the foreman in concrete for cat calling Kendl is still a bit weird and out of character so I have no answer or that.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 4
  • YEE 3
GhettoJesus
1 hour ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

When I played San Andreas last year I really warmed to CJ more than I had before. He's definitely no Niko, but I understood him finally I think. Like for example I always used to think he was being a pussy around Catalina, but then I got to think he was pretty much fiddling her (when you look at it deeply) and using her so he could make some money to get back on his feet rather than being outright scared of her. It was pretty smart all things considered.

I'd say he was fiddling with her but he was also scared of her somewhat. Catalina doesn't have any problems with popping a partner or two as we have seen before so CJ was somewhat fearful of Catalina cutting his life short. He is trying to keep her under control by being submissive.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I always used to think he was being a pussy around Catalina, but then I got to think he was pretty much fiddling her (when you look at it deeply) and using her so he could make some money to get back on his feet rather than being outright scared of her. It was pretty smart all things considered.

That's the point most of the people never touched the game and only look for cutscenes on YouTube without context which makes them think that CJ always loved her and that's why he was working with her 

But he actually needed money to get on his feet again and that's why he abandoned her when Cesar told him about the street races where he can make profit without having to deal with that bitch ( also he couldn't kill her because she's Cesar's cousin)and if that reason isn't enough he's in debt to the truth and he has to pay ASAP

Or when someone plays a mission from the beginning on YouTube and then plays on at the end they always go how did this guy become this guy not realising that there's a huge time gap between the two Missions

7 minutes ago, GhettoJesus said:

I'd say he was fiddling with her but he was also scared of her somewhat. Catalina doesn't have any problems with popping a partner or two as we have seen before so CJ was somewhat fearful of Catalina cutting his life short. He is trying to keep her under control by being submissive.

Yeah probably especially that if he died his whole family would die ( sweet in jail and Kendl has a price on her head alongside with Cesar) and he would be the reason for this to happen if he didn't act right

• Like 1
4nsmiley
21 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Lets also remember at one time San Andreas was meant to have multiple protagonists so the times where he comes across as a bit inconsistent are probably where R* overstretched things somewhat by placing him into situations intended for another character possibly and altering things to suit CJ. Then again that's purely speculation of course, but it does have some merit IMO.

In saying that when he buries the foreman in concrete for cat calling Kendl is still a bit weird and out of character so I have no answer or that.

now that what I call growth. 

On 1/20/2021 at 7:28 PM, Roboticist said:

The problem with CJ that he doesn't have an actual personality or even have something remarkable and distinctive. He's just the type that goes with whatever people tells to him and that's what made him not very likeable for me.

this same statement can be say about any GTA character ( maybe not Tommy)  what do mean you by personality?  

Roboticist
50 minutes ago, 4nsmiley said:

now that what I call growth. 

this same statement can be say about any GTA character ( maybe not Tommy)  what do mean you by personality?  

I may have phrased it in a wrong way-- I mean he's not strong-willed Tommy or Niko, y'know? He just takes it whenever people sh*t on him.

12 minutes ago, Roboticist said:

I may have phrased it in a wrong way-- I mean he's not strong-willed Tommy or Niko, y'know? He just takes it whenever people sh*t on him.

He's a normal person

And most of the early missions were played as "hanging out with friends" 

Edited by DR:BUSTA
  • Like 1
KingAJ032304
1 hour ago, DR:BUSTA said:

He's a normal person

And most of the early missions were played as "hanging out with friends" 

no normal sane human being will rush a military base because a high ass hippie conspirest told him to.

1 minute ago, KingAJ032304 said:

no normal sane human being will rush a military base because a high ass hippie conspirest told him to.

I meant the first arc 

• KEKW 1
KingAJ032304
7 minutes ago, DR:BUSTA said:

I meant the first arc 

I find it so funny how you didn't even try to argue for it like it's something everyone agrees with 

Anyways I'll say CJ becomes pretty hard towards the middle of LV and the progression of CJ (outside the out of character moments) is surprising gradual yet apparent.

LV CJ and The Introduction CJ are my favorite "renditions" of him personally. 

Edited by KingAJ032304
2 hours ago, KingAJ032304 said:

I find it so funny how you didn't even try to argue for it like it's something everyone agrees with

No I mean that I was talking about the first arc where he was a normal street thug in the beginning and the missions felt like hanging out with your homies and if you mean the desert arc.

2 hours ago, KingAJ032304 said:

Anyway I'll say CJ becomes pretty hard towards the middle of LV and the progression of CJ (outside the out of character moments) is surprising gradual yet apparent.

Most people don't like how CJ developed his personality but still working for Tenpenny . I kinda like it that way it's like a reminder that Tenpenny will be always on your ass since he's the only thing left from your horrible past at the moment.

And also during that time Toreno abandoned CJ and the game never told you that be would return I thought that he betrayed us and made us do the craziest sh*t for him and disappeared which is a detail that some people seem to forget

GroveStGTAV

Also CJ killed an innocent tourist for just take his camera. In the one of the bank missions

In the japan version, game says he is "Ballas Tourist" :D

Also he killed an innocent valet guy to take his clothes

Edited by GroveStGTAV
2 hours ago, GroveStGTAV said:

Also CJ killed an innocent tourist for just take his camera. In the one of the bank missions

In the japan version, game says he is "Ballas Tourist" :D

Also he killed an innocent valet guy to take his clothes

I don't think CJ has problems with Killing innocent people . He was a thug after all and this was his way of getting money in LC.

1 hour ago, DR:BUSTA said:

I don't think CJ has problems with Killing innocent people . He was a thug after all and this was his way of getting money in LC.

He doesn't have with Gangs either.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, OH76 said:

He doesn't have with Gangs either.

He doesn't always kill atleast not after the first arc if there's an easier way to get into someone like Pulaski who blindly trusted Tenpenny he won't kill him but he will try his luck if it didn't work f*ck him

Americana

I don't know, in my opinin he's just there. He has no personality. Sometimes he screams out of pain, and sometimes he shouts at people, but... that's it.

Edited by Americana
6 minutes ago, Americana said:

I don't know, in my opinin he's just there. He has no personality. Sometimes he screams out of pain, and sometimes he shouts at people, but... that's it.

I see that He does what the situation impose on him

Which is cool

GTAgangbanger

Is it confirmed that gta San Andreas is coming out for ps5 ?

On that Catalina mission you're saying, that's like 1 mission out of all of the others in the game. If you've played LCS, you see Toni just does anything people tell him to do and doesn't do what he likes, same goes for Claude as he doesn't have a voice and can't make any choices for himself. That construction mission, I agree, was a bit too harsh and CJ was kind of an degenerate. For the Truth missions, he was trying to help him, act like a human being. Truth is a cool guy, why would CJ not want to help him?

Comparing CJ to all the other protagonists, he would come 2nd for me, a rank lower than Niko.

• Like 1
watersgta3

If Osho read this, he'll call you an idiot and go on a verbose tirade on how you won't understand CJ like the annoyingly defensive CJ fanboy he is. Punk ass bitch! That's why that asshole got banned. Good f*cking riddance!

In all seriousness, I do think CJ should have finally stood up to Catalina after far too long of tolerance with her. As for that Deconstruction mission, it should have been the foreman sexually harassed Kendl so it would make CJ burying the foreman alive far more justified (and no, simply saying she looks like a hooker isn't sexual harassment! It would be considered harassment if he were to talk about how he wants to rape Kendl or bragging about her wanting his dick).

16 minutes ago, watersgta3 said:

If Osho read this, he'll call you an idiot and go on a verbose tirade on how you won't understand CJ like the annoyingly defensive CJ fanboy he is. Punk ass bitch! That's why that asshole got banned. Good f*cking riddance!

Everyone here even the newest members keep saying this but

Who da fok is Osho and how I've never heard of him?

Also I remember that he did stand against Catalina after the race mission

And I like the rewrite version of deconstruction I guess that was what the developers where wanted for but for some reasons they thought that calling Kendl a hooker is enough to make CJ bury someone alive

Big_Smiley
3 hours ago, DR:BUSTA said:

Everyone here even the newest members keep saying this but

Who da fok is Osho and how I've never heard of him?

The dude is the reason why the SA section doesn't have any fanboys left, lmao. How much of an ass he was when people shared their views on SA differently.

1 hour ago, Big_Smiley said:

The dude is the reason why the SA section doesn't have any fanboys left, lmao. How much of an ass he was when people shared their views on SA differently.

The SA section is probably the most Dead at the moment .

Even this thread stayed with one post for sometimes but now it started to be a bit alive now and it's the first time I have a discussion about SA in years

So what did he do exactly to make it like this?

Carl Theft Auto

I think Osho was the reason why people sh't on GTA SA, I would f'ck his ear if its true

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Carl Theft Auto said:

I think Osho was the reason why people sh't on GTA SA, I would f'ck his ear if its true

Nah the weird guy with GTA 4 PFP and his minis used to sh*t on it years before this Osho existed.

As @Algonquin Assassin said, San Andreas was originally going to have three protagonists, like V. But this was dropped in development so I guess they mixed their personalities and put it on CJ. That's the reason for his inconsistence.