1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Your thoughts on the corrupt government angle in the GTA series?

FanEu7

Not talking about the corrupt cops but the focus on agencies. SA, IV and V are the ones that focused on this part. GTA IV's missions with ULP contact were still pretty grounded although you were hunting down terrorists. SA and V's missions were pretty over the top and some people say that part doesn't feel like GTA

I think they add variety and fit GTA, especially with its focus on satizing America.

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin

With GTA IV it felt like a smooth transition since Niko was already doing a lot of assassination/hired gun type work so none of the missions felt that out of place.

In San Andreas and GTA V yeah they tend to lean more on the over the top side of things. I don't have a problem with these missions necessarily, but in GTA V in particular I'm not a fan of the FIB stranglehold. At the very least in San Andreas and GTA IV Toreno and ULP step aside after some time and don't overstay their welcome. Plus CJ and Niko get something out of it. Sweet gets released from jail and ULP agrees to track down Darko. In GTA V Michael is the only one to have a reason to be working with the FIB since he already cut a deal. I'm not sure why Trevor and Franklin agree to work with them though as they don't get anything in return other than I guess not being thrown in prison or something.  It just seems bogus to me.

Anyway in GTA V as soon as the FIB become involved it feels like it takes up way too much of the rest of the story.  Missions about personal means/independence are put on the backburner (they're still there, but not in the same quantities as the start) and we become the FIB lapdogs for what feels like the rest of the game. It's just too much IMO. 

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 6
DR:BUSTA
40 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I'm not sure why Trevor and Franklin agree to work with them though as they don't get anything in return other than I guess not being thrown in prison or something.  It just seems bogus to me.

If what I remember is correct Trevor thought that Brad was in jail and they would free him if Trevor worked for them

And Franklin worked with them because he is Michael's sla... partner

• Like 7
Algonquin Assassin
2 hours ago, DR:BUSTA said:

If what I remember is correct Trevor thought that Brad was in jail and they would free him if Trevor worked for them

And Franklin worked with them because he is Michael's sla... partner

Ah yes I forgot about the Brad thing. My bad.

• Like 1
wise_man

R* should make government agencies presence to be more intimidating, and actually become a serious threat. Think about it, how do you react when the FBI/CIA suddenly burst into your house for no reason? of course it's terrifying. Same for criminals, they also afraid of them. In GTA games, government presence is barely a threat, they just appear as mission bosses with no consequences for disobeying them.

Yes, corrupt agents like Toreno, ULP guy, and Steve Haines are still threaten you, but there's nothing to be worried as long as you follow their order. Instead of simple "oh, now i have to work for this government guy", I want "oh sh*t, it's that government guy, what will he do?!" or "i have to follow this guy or else i'll be dead".

For example, I will have Niko refuses to follow ULP orders when he realizes that ULP just used him as a puppet. Shortly after, Niko finds that Karen/Michelle have kidnapped Mallorie and put her in gunpoint. Roman calls him, asking Mallorie's whereabouts. Niko gets confused and trying to call Jacob, but he doesn't reply and Real Badman doesn't know where he is. With no other choice, Niko agrees to kill the terrorist. After that, Jacob and Mallorie are released and Niko have to explain things to them.

GTA needs more agent Milton and less agent Ross.

Edited by wise_man
  • Like 4
iiCriminnaaL

San Andreas: It was over the top, but fortunately some of the missions are pretty entertaining. It didn't take a significant part of the story, so that's great. While still not a big fan of it (the part itself, not the relationship), I must say that the relationship between CJ and Toreno and how it evolved was really interesting, and getting Sweet out of prison was a pretty justified motivation that was very satisfying.

GTA IV: Just perfect. Most of the missions were actually directly connected to the criminal underworld (through a Russian mob faction, which is usually forgotten when people discuss the Russian mob theme in the game), and it was even a smaller part than that of San Andreas. The motivation and reward were excellently justified too, to finally find the traitor Niko was looking for.

GTA V: One of the story's biggest downfalls. It just felt like an excuse to tie the trio's destinies altogether and limit Trevor's plot invincibility, but it just made them feel like lapdogs. The game's supposedly heist theme was really overshadowed by the government angle, and literally half of the game's heists were a part of it.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49
  • Like 6
Thelema93

They like it so much they should make an entire splinter cell esque like franchise and keep that sh*t outta GTA.. its grand theft Auto not the government bitch chronicles

• Like 3
KingAJ032304

unpopular opinion: nothing is wrong with a government heavy focus shift, gta v was just weird with it.

• Like 4
Copcaller

I don't mind dealing with corrupt fib and iaa agents but it's annoying how it took over most of the story in V. It should be a quick mission strand you help them out and they give you a favor and you never see them again. 

• Like 4
DR:BUSTA

There's also Wade Heston from GTA CTW

Who was a pretty decent character

• Like 4
Algonquin Assassin
On 1/20/2021 at 1:26 AM, Copcaller said:

I don't mind dealing with corrupt fib and iaa agents but it's annoying how it took over most of the story in V. It should be a quick mission strand you help them out and they give you a favor and you never see them again. 

Yeah. It goes completely against the idea that we were going to be working for ourselves as R* promoted and ultimately that's why people don't like this part of GTA V's story. I wanted more independent missions for Michael, Trevor and Franklin and less of this sh*t.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 4
ThatBenGuy

I don’t mind FBI and CIA agents being characters in GTA games. What I have a problem with is when they tend to take over a storyline in a GTA game. GTA V was by far the worst when it came to this. You barely had any missions you went on for organized crime syndicates. Martin Madrazo had enough missions to count on one hand and the Triads really had none. Just missions featuring them. So yeah, the mob angle in GTA V as well as Online is just too heavily downplayed IMO. There’s just something about a Bond-esque GTA that doesn’t make me feel too awful comfortable. That’s kind of exactly what GTA V and Online are. GTA IV did the government angle perfectly IMO. SA went a bit over the top with it but I don’t think they went NEAR the same levels of it as V and Online. At least there was still a fair amount of mobsters in SA as well, such as the Russian Mafia (you can never go wrong there, ;)), Triads, and even Italian Mafia. Plus, there were also street gangs taking major precedence so yeah. Also, this is a bit off topic but I personally don’t mind playing as law enforcement officials just as long as it’s a different game than GTA. I also like the first two Max Payne games better than the third as they dealt quite a bit more with the Italian and Russian Mafias. Max Payne 3 is still good too but I don’t think it has quite as much of the magic touch if you know what I mean. LA Noire is a great game too but I feel like it could use a little more mobsters than it already has.

• Like 2
  • Bruh 1
The Notorious MOB
On 08/01/2021 at 12:26 PM, Thelema93 said:

They like it so much they should make an entire splinter cell esque like franchise and keep that sh*t outta GTA.. its grand theft Auto not the government bitch chronicles

A game about a secret agent yeah, why haven't they thought of that before? It could probably be set during the Cold War or something filled with counter-intelligence, espionage and political assassinations. JK

I never really minded the whole government angle in any of the games and in GTA V there wasn't really much of a story outside of that save for the relationship between Trevor and Micheal, which was also part of that overarching plot point. Franklin was basically just in there for the CJ fanboys and the decision to make him the 'main' protagonist in the end was probably just an attempt at justifying his place in the story up until then. No way they could've had it be a total whitewash by not including him, but they could have tried to make him a little bit more integral at least. 

Had the game been set 20 years earlier they could've easily made him a Freeway Ricky type character and had his involvement with the government be just as heavy as Trevor and Mike. Perhaps even working against the FIB in that versus angle between the two agencies they tried to spin.

I think the corruption angle in GTA games has always been there - with Samuel Deever in GTA 1 and Mackowski in GTA III etc. A corrupt cop was also a feature in VCS and CTW but I'm not sure if they count. Either way a corrupt official of some kind has always been one of the integral tropes.

Edited by Money Over Bullshit