1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Performance problems in populated sessions.

Banshstar

I made a post earlier in december about this but feel I didnt explain the problem good enough.

I have bad performance when playing online. The game dont like to go over 40 fps in populated sessions. So it will lower gpu usage and cpu usage. If I turn down graphical settings it will only lower GPU usage and keep the same fps.

I use the same windows, same connection, same everything I used when I last played regularly back when the summer dlc came. I have used newest nvidia drivers and older drivers. The problem persists. 

This is not a CPU bottleneck. I dont use an 2.2 ghz amd athlon. 

I will link 3 short recordings of SP, Private Session, and Populated session.

Online Private Session:

Single Player:

Online Populated session:

What you see on my MSI Afterburner info in the upper left corner. 

GPU: Fanspeed percentage, GPU Temperature, GPU Usage percentage, GPU power consumption percentage, GPU clock Speed

CPU: CPU Temperature, CPU Usage, CPU clock speed

Any help is appreciated. 

I also made a support ticket to rockstar about this today. 

AirWolf359

That is not how CPU bottlenecks work in GTA V. GTA V is not properly multithreaded and can not use more than 4 cores at 100%. Your CPU probably has more cores, but the game just can't use them.

CPU bottleneck is not necessarily 100% CPU usage, only has to be one thread.

In GTA V, if you are not at 100% GPU usage, you have a CPU bottleneck (in the case of a Ryzen processor, the bottleneck can also be your Ram speed, which explains you don't even get 100% on one thread but still constantly very high)

GTA V has a CPU bottleneck as soon as 1 core is at constant high load, which comes from the main thread.

Things like extended view distance and other players also go on the main thread, which causes your FPS loss and lower GPU usage in full sessions.

Only thing you can do about it, is lowering Extended Distance Scaling in your Advanced Graphics settings. The rest is bad optimization on Rockstar's part

Edited by AirWolf359
Banshstar

I had good performance online some months ago. Now suddenly its a cpu bottleneck? Hell the pc I had before ran this game just fine in populated sessions. I refuse to belive its a cpu bottleneck out of the blue. 

• Like 1
AirWolf359

Must be the Cayo Perico update then. Multiple people have reported performance drops since that update. I guess we have to wait for a patch.

Also, could you record your CPU usage for all threads? It sure looks like something is bottlenecking to me, even if I can't see what is causing it.

Oh, and Ram speed is not an issue on Intel CPUs, no worries about that. Only Ryzen CPUs can be bottlenecked by Ram speed.

Edited by AirWolf359
  • Like 1
Banshstar

Appreciate your help very much. I will make a recording of private session and populated session with all 12 threads and temps in the msia osd.

Banshstar

2 hours ago, AirWolf359 said:

Must be the Cayo Perico update then. Multiple people have reported performance drops since that update. I guess we have to wait for a patch.

Also, could you record your CPU usage for all threads? It sure looks like something is bottlenecking to me, even if I can't see what is causing it.

Oh, and Ram speed is not an issue on Intel CPUs, no worries about that. Only Ryzen CPUs can be bottlenecked by Ram speed.

Hey I did the recordings.

Populated session:

Singleplayer:

AirWolf359

Does your FPS go down from recording? Or are you using Vsync? The one in singleplayer appears to be locked at 60.

Also, be careful playing radio songs in your videos. You might get copyright claimed and your video taken down. Record with radio/music off if you can.

Also, why are you recording with Fraps? MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner has its own recording function, no watermark and no 30 second limit.

• Like 1
Banshstar
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, AirWolf359 said:

Does your FPS go down from recording? Or are you using Vsync? The one in singleplayer appears to be locked at 60.

Also, be careful playing radio songs in your videos. You might get copyright claimed and your video taken down. Record with radio/music off if you can.

Also, why are you recording with Fraps? MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner has its own recording function, no watermark and no 30 second limit.

Yeah the 60 fps is because of fraps records in 60 fps and will lock the framerate. Thank you for the tip of recording with msia. I have actually never recorded any of my gameplay before and this was my first time. I had fraps and knew that could record my gameplay. 

My support ticket to rockstar was replied and they told me to uninstall and reinstall .NET framework 3.5, Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, DirectX12, and the game and social club launcher. I use Steam version but social club launcher is required now. 

I have done all this now and also reinstalled steam at the same time. Im currently downloading the game again. It will take all night. 

I think maybe you are interested in the results so Ill post it here when its done. 

Edit: Dont worry my recordings are unlisted and unpublished. I will delete them to be safe. 

Thanks again. 

Edited by Banshstar