1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Do you think there will ever be a GTA with a better story than GTA IV?

FanEu7

FanEu7

Or at least as great?

I doubt it. I really like VC, SA and V's stories and characters too but they really lack the depth of GTA IV.

I think after people whined about GTA IV's tone Rockstar just moved the serious storytelling to RDR. RDR2 showed how they can still deliver darker and more serious stories like GTA IV.

Algonquin Assassin

For me what makes GTA IV’s story so great isn’t so much the tone, but the way it captures “The American Dream”.

Niko was the first foreigner in the series  and being able to experience this new place through his perspective and experience his post war trauma and seeing him adapt to American society, survive with Roman etc is so special and unique it’s something akin to lighting being captured in a bottle. It happened at the right place during the right time.

As much as I love RDR2’s story even that falls just short of the throne GTA IV’s story comfortably sits on.

Anyway GTA VI’s story would have to be some serious cinematic work to knock off GTA IV. If it can be just as great (which would be no easy feat) I’ll accept that.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 7
Americana

Yes, the story Grand Theft Auto IV was good, it was emotional and interesting. But what is the most important is that essence of "The American Dream". Also, I just love New York City and the atmosphere.

It's the only game, which could be used as an example in the academic writing about the portrayal of "The American Dream" in media. 

Actually, I've used this game as an example in my MA thesis about this very concept. 

To answer the question... well, maybe. But... I seriously doubt it. However, I really hope that the series is not lost and that writers at Rockstar will create something ambitious.  

Edited by Americana
  • Like 1
kubon352

Topics like this... Jesus, how could we know that? Sometimes we cannot even predict correct weather.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
FanEu7
5 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

For me what makes GTA IV’s story so great isn’t so much the tone, but the way it captures “The American Dream”.

Niko was the first foreigner in the series  and being able to experience this new place through his perspective and experience his post war trauma and seeing him adapt to American society, survive with Roman etc is so special and unique it’s something akin to lighting being captured in a bottle. It happened at the right place during the right time.

As much as I love RDR2’s story even that falls just short of the throne GTA IV’s story comfortably sits on.

Anyway GTA VI’s story would have to be some serious cinematic work to knock off GTA IV. If it can be just as great (which would be no easy feat) I’ll accept that.

Yeah but the tone adds to that, imagine if it was like the other GTA's with more cartoony characters and over the top missions for the sake of it..it wouldn't be nearly as great. Niko and the other characters just feel more human and his story feels believable in comparison to the rest imho.

I agree the foreigner angle was really well done too.

For me GTA IV's story is still overall better and more fun too (prefer the setting and Niko) but RDR2 definitely feels more focused and the writing for Arthur and Dutch is just amazing. I think in some ways Rockstar perfected the serious storytelling style they started with GTA IV with RDR2

• Like 1
Lemoyne outlaw

of course. gta 4 had a great story no doubt about it. but its not the only game that has one. im willing to say that red dead redemption 2 has an equal or better story than 4. rockstar are masters at making good stories. so im sure they are cooking some good stuff for us.

Americana

I would never say that Rockstar is master at making good stories. No way. Three games have good stories - Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, and Grand Theft Auto IV. 

Damien Scott

Maybe but I don't think I'll ever like other GTA title as much as IV.

• Like 1
Bigglo145

Wow i just turned on my ps3 and started playing again after years and just told my girlfriend that this was the best gta ever. My favorite game ever tbh. I seriously hope gta 6 is more realistic and serious with things. 5 makes me sick

FanEu7
8 hours ago, Americana said:

I would never say that Rockstar is master at making good stories. No way. Three games have good stories - Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, and Grand Theft Auto IV. 

Well compared to other games (especially open world) other Rockstar games have good stories too but GTA IV and RDR2 are special and peak Rockstar (in terms of writing). RDR1 was good but not as compelling either imho

• Like 1
Zello

Sure eventually a new GTA will come along and may have a better story than IV and thats fine. I just hope we get to see it soon and not 20 years from now.

Wayne Kerr

I think its very possible. IV's story is good, widely acknowledged as the best in the series but I don't think its that good that it's untouchable, I can see it being outdone and besides these things are subjective anyway

It would be nice if the next GTA manages to convince even the diehard IV fans that its story is superior, that can only be a good thing cause that means we'll have quite the crime saga on our hands. 

Algonquin Assassin
1 hour ago, Utopianthumbs said:

I think its very possible. IV's story is good, widely acknowledged as the best in the series but I don't think its that good that it's untouchable, I can see it being outdone and besides these things are subjective anyway

It would be nice if the next GTA manages to convince even the diehard IV fans that its story is superior, that can only be a good thing cause that means we'll have quite the crime saga on our hands. 

lol. That’s the thing though. It’s subjective.

There are many movies with great stories I like, but when a new one comes along it doesn’t mean the previous one is inferior or something.

Where the GTA series is concerned I’ve never really felt the stories have been that great with GTA IV and TLAD to a lesser extent being the exceptions. They’re seviceable, but nothing special like GTA IV.

In saying that we have to remember something. Outside of the diehard GTA IV fanbase it’s still a pretty divisive game including the story and R* seem to care to cater for mainstream/casual audiences that are only interested in mindless action with no substance. GTA IV was one a off unfortunately.

The next Red Dead game probably won’t happen for a bloody long time and that’s likely where the next Mecca of storytelling will come from rather than the GTA series. 

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 3
Zello

Best we can hope for is a diehard fan of GTA IV starts his own game company and makes a GTA like game with a deep story.

• fir thi bairns 3
Algonquin Assassin
12 hours ago, Zello said:

Best we can hope for is a diehard fan of GTA IV starts his own game company and makes a GTA like game with a deep story.

Would you guys buy it if I started my own game company? I do have some experience in game development.:p

• Like 1
  • fir thi bairns 1
  • KEKW 1
ThatBenGuy
34 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Would you guys buy it if I started my own game company? I do have some experience in game development.:p

Heck yeah man! You know I'd buy any game you make! ;) 

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
TWIST_OF_HATE

I'm somewhat lost my hope in GTA games with GTA V release

And yes, IV story is the best in series

I'm have no hope on VI, I'm just waiting to see how it will be, nothing more

You see, with a big "success" of GTA Online, will R* return to serious, deep GTA games like IV ?

I'm highly doubt it

And each time, we should wait more and more until a new GTA game release, so I'm just hope that I will live up to the next GTA game release, that's it

Edited by TWIST_OF_HATE
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
afxtwin

The sheer depth of the characters was something unprecedented for a Rockstar game at the time. I feel it was the first and only GTA game to really take itself seriously, something not only seen in the story and characters, but also is something reflected in the game's atmosphere and soundtrack. The only mature GTA game. Really disappointing to go from a character like Niko to someone like Trevor - but it apparently is what the majority of people want.

I find it impressive how there's still stuff I hadn't picked up on still after 10 or so years of playing - like only on my last playthrough (my fith or sixth one?) I started noticing how Niko gradually starts understanding the language better. You notice him speaking a lot in his native language at the start, forming really basic sentences - or remarking a lot about not being able to understand other characters. As the story passes he forms more complex sentences, starts using quite "out-there"analogies to summarize events and such, and even starts losing his accent a bit. You can really tell effort was spent into developing his character, and I do really appreciate those subtle details.

• Like 1