1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

What's so wrong with GTA V's story/How would you fix it?

RobeX

cp1dell

I'm still baffled how Rockstar did multiple endings fine in IV, sh*t the bed with V, and then did it fine again with RDR2.

Clearly the best way to go about it is having whatever choice presented just change a few things in the big finale mission, and then the outcome. Like in IV, you get a different mission depending on what you choose, different effects of that choice, and the finale stays the same but with some minor changes.

And what did they do in V? You have three options, one that gives you a big classic GTA finale. The other two are short five minute chase missions with no build up whatsoever, and the loose ends from not choosing the other option are barely addressed. It's borderline lazy, and seemingly rushed. Everything about V's story is a disaster. People were worried before release that you wouldn't get to know the characters very well since there were two others, but people figured we would get what we did with IV and EFLC, but in one game, like I talked about earlier. Turns out those people were right.

• Like 5
FanEu7
9 hours ago, cp1dell said:

I'm still baffled how Rockstar did multiple endings fine in IV, sh*t the bed with V, and then did it fine again with RDR2.

Clearly the best way to go about it is having whatever choice presented just change a few things in the big finale mission, and then the outcome. Like in IV, you get a different mission depending on what you choose, different effects of that choice, and the finale stays the same but with some minor changes.

And what did they do in V? You have three options, one that gives you a big classic GTA finale. The other two are short five minute chase missions with no build up whatsoever, and the loose ends from not choosing the other option are barely addressed. It's borderline lazy, and seemingly rushed. Everything about V's story is a disaster. People were worried before release that you wouldn't get to know the characters very well since there were two others, but people figured we would get what we did with IV and EFLC, but in one game, like I talked about earlier. Turns out those people were right.

While I disagree that V's story is a "disaster", Ending A and B definitely suck and don't fit the game at all. It feels more like they were included for people who hate Michael and Trevor, they don't resolve anything and have Franklin (especially) and the others acting OOC.

But I don't think the IV and Episodes formula would fit GTA V, it worked there because it was basically 3 different games and stories with just some connections. With GTA V the whole appeal was that there are 3 protagonists in one game so they had one main story  (so they actually interact all the time, their relationship is what matters) with some subplots

Edited by FanEu7
FanEu7
16 hours ago, Ryo256 said:

At the end of the game, as Franklin you will live. You can kill off either Michael or Trevor. That is, IMO, a far better argument. But that's just saying.

You say that GTA SA has Photo Opportunity mission where I'm arguing that GTA V had plenty of Photo Opportunity. How you feel about it is a different thing. Plenty of missions I highlighted aren't classic GTA and far from fine IMO.

Except he didn't made it, he just cut a deal with FIB. It's not all him. For a character who made it, he is disappointing but that's not just my opinion, most people here do feel the same.

And pretty pathetic moments too. Actually Michael rarely does much badassery on his own accord except for when he is working for Solomon Richards. Trevor is showcased to be more of a maniac than a glorious killer like previous games have done.

Lincoln Clay was a fleshed out character and far more compelling than any GTA V protagonist can hope to be and yet you have a problem with him. It's almost as if characters being fleshed out isn't enough to make them compelling or good? 

Sweet is talking about when CJ was out of city before game started. When he had to go and steal just to feed the family. Sweet kept his mother and sister alive in a difficult time when CJ wasn't there. 

That's because Badman didn't drag it out like Catalina did. Also CJ needed Catalina and knew how to charm her, that was not the case of Niko but your example is more of a general reaction. It is not example of one being a push over.

Because Tenpenny has his brother in jail and threatens to get him killed if CJ even approaches him. CJ being able to infiltrate miliary can't change that. That's why CJ goes after Smoke when Sweet is out thanks to Toreno and isn't afraid to go after Tenpenny either afterwards.

First main boss you kill is Vlad in an optional execution sequence. In fact Niko gets paid by top criminals, as he commits crimes and gets to kill every single antagonist. The guy later has Darko gifted him across the country just so he can get his revenge. And has an option to blast through the boat just to kill Dimitri as he wish.

That doesn't take away the fact that Niko accomplishes a lot at the end. It is just a bittersweet take on "the victory we longed for" in GTA games in general. But a victory is a victory. A power fantasy is a power fantasy.

Chasing people is classic GTA, as is lots of driving around. Photo Opportunity was just one example, the other GTA's have plenty of missions that are not that exciting and frustrating. Remember Demolition Man? 

Most people here hate GTA V but they don't represent the majority..

What about all the heists? Michael is a badass in all of them and shows why he was so successful as a bank robber before. The whole point of Trevor is that he is a maniac and not a badass killer like Tommy for an example. I think you are too focused on the power fantasy aspect and don't like more flawed characters.

Well that's your opinion, I think Lincoln sucked. He was only interesting in the prologue, after that he is a boring mindless killer with no interesting relationships or character moments. Like all he does is kill one dude after the other.. Give me Michael and Trevor any day over that dude lol. The other two Mafia protagonists were far superior too.

Sweet has a point there but after he is released he talks more about how CJ abandoned the hood and never did anything..acting as if nothing has happened since the first arc of the game. Hell CJ even talks about how the hood didn't do anything for him but he quickly drops that.

So CJ acting like that with Catalina (random criminal bitch who he really doesn't need) is him not being a push over but Michael who is clearly not a good father and husband taking back his family and improving himself is weak? I don't get it. 

None of that is a power fantasy, in fact Niko feels empty after he kills Darko. Even killing Dimitri leads to Kate dying. Hell when Roman says that they won at the end Niko doesn't even answer? GTA IV is nothing like the other GTA games. Saying its a power fantasy is ridiculous. At the end you just have more money and killed a lot of criminals (you say like that's a good thing but again Niko is pretty sick of it as well, just listen to his phone call with Roman after he kills Ray) but its very bittersweet. The others end with the protagonists achieving everything they wanted with zero consequences (including V here) and are straight from some fairy tale.

The only other story like that is TLAD

Edited by FanEu7
  • Like 1
Ryo256
58 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

Chasing people is classic GTA, as is lots of driving around. 

Classic GTA involves chasing and mostly shooting. You can't kill more than half of the people you chase in GTA V.

Remember Demolition Man? 

That is technically difficult because of the limited controls of previous games, that's what makes it frustrating. In today's mechanics, it would have been fine.

Most people here hate GTA V but they don't represent the majority..

They are enough to show that a certain opinion isn't that rare.

What about all the heists? Michael is a badass in all of them and shows why he was so successful as a bank robber before.

He is about as badass in them as any protagonist that ever committed a heist.

The whole point of Trevor is that he is a maniac and not a badass killer like Tommy for an example. I think you are too focused on the power fantasy aspect and don't like more flawed characters.

Power fantasy is always part of GTA series, the whole idea that you can jack a car and take it as your own is part of it. And I'm quite fine with characters like CJ, Niko and Johnny that do have their flaws. Trevor and Michaels have way more negatives than positives.

no interesting relationships 

Father James, John Donovan, Nicki Burke and Vito have interesting relationships with Lincoln and he has many humanizing moments especially if you do the side missions. There are more things I would like to say about Lincoln but this isn't a Mafia 3 thread so I don't need to dive much into it.

Well that's your opinion, I think Lincoln sucked.

Yes, it's my opinion. As is your opinion that Michael and Trevor are better. Which is my opinion that they are not. But Lincoln is fleshed out and is more of a badass than GTA V characters. That is also my opinion. BTW did I mention that it was my opinion?

The other two Mafia protagonists were far superior too.

They are effective for what the story demanded as is Lincoln for what his story demanded which is my opinion. GTA V protagonists pale so much in comparison to Mafia protagonists which is my opinion. Yes it is my opinion. This is my opinion BTW in case you wanna know.

Sweet has a point there.

That is the entire point.

Hell CJ even talks about how the hood didn't do anything for him but he quickly drops that.

The hood did enough for CJ. Even let him roll with them after CJ ran off in a crucial time and gave him a second chance. Everything was great for CJ in the hood until Smoke betrayed them. That scene is not about Sweet dropping the topic, it is that CJ was quick to ignore where he came from. The message is important because even in GTA V, it was repeated in Franklin's arc of how he needs to grow up and remember where he came from. Though unlike GTA SA, it was never really resolved in V.

So CJ acting like that with Catalina (random criminal bitch who he really doesn't need) is him not being a push over

He does need her. He needs the money to pay off Truth that Tenpenny forced on him.

Michael who is clearly not a good father and husband taking back his family and improving himself is weak? I don't get it. 

Michael is a far older and experienced criminal, supposedly, and him being a pushover is a bigger issue than you think. At least CJ is young and small time at the time so admitting he is a pushover isn't a big deal as it is for Michael who is supposed to have "made it". GTA V also does no justice for Michael either, Madrazo's girl spits on his face while he's on the ground and he just takes it. A supposedly successful criminal like Michael should have planned to kill Madrazo rather than planned to get him the money. 

And also you changed the comparison to suit your argument here. Michael isn't weak for being a good family man, he is weak for not putting Jimmy in his place for straight out druggin him, leaving him on the side of the road and stealing his car. That is pathetic. Also quite pathetic that he just accepts his wife being a whore. Sure, he cheated once with a stripper but try to work that out rather than just bending over? The Yoga instructor is messing with his wife and he isn't even allowed to kill him like most GTA characters would have? Like CJ burying a guy alive for calling his sister a hooker or Niko killing Vlad for messing with Malorie. If you ignore these examples, of course you won't get it.

None of that is a power fantasy, in fact Niko feels empty after he kills Darko. Even killing Dimitri leads to Kate dying. Hell when Roman says that they won at the end Niko doesn't even answer? GTA IV is nothing like the other GTA games. Saying its a power fantasy is ridiculous. At the end you just have more money and killed a lot of criminals (you say like that's a good thing but again Niko is pretty sick of it as well, just listen to his phone call with Roman after he kills Ray) but its very bittersweet. The others end with the protagonists achieving everything they wanted with zero consequences (including V here) and are straight from some fairy tale.

A few sad moments and a bittersweet ending doesn't take away power fantasy. In fact let's talk about what power fantasy really is:

Pg84bMN.png

Is the player character, Niko a badass that shows dominance? Yes.
Can you indulge in wish fulfillment and escapism like committing crime and hijacking cars? Yes.

GTA series will always be about power fantasy, how it shows can differ like either you can be a heroic good figure that saves the day with great power or a dark protagonist in a grimdark story where odds are against you and still survive with battle scars. Difference between GTA 3 and GTA 4 at this point, is simply how humane GTA IV is, but like any GTA game, it will always be a power fantasy.

Not having a fairy tale ending or other sh*t doesn't take that from it.

Edited by Ryo256
  • Like 4
Thelema93

Too much satire with cliche cheesy character’s. all gta have that of course but V tripled it 10 fold. All the right ingredients are there. Give Franklin less screentime is my first suggestion. He never should of been the first free roam character. Start the game from Michael’s point of view with Franklin being introduced later on after Michael needs a lackey for the heist. The whole meeting in the actual came was awkward af.. hell they could scrap frank as a protagonist and make him a recruitable heist driver. Trevor is his Blaine county self for the entire game. He loses his edge once he gets to LS. Scrap Haines and Weston as main antagonists. They can be side bosses you work for and enventually kill for their double crossing nature. Condense fib into an arc instead of the whole second half of the story. Dave Norton being dirtier and bit more antagonistic. Madrazo being the main big bad of the game. Keep the samortha job.. M and T tension builds for the entire game before coming to a head at north Yankton. Where in a split second you must choose which one to switch too while the other one loses the dual and gets killed off.. really play up their rivalry and polar opposite personalities instead of the jilted lover bs in the main game. Keep the exile part but instead of Trevor turning Patricia back to Martin he kills her. I’d make him less comic evil and more of a sadistic brutaliser. But keep his integrity and make him loyal to a fault. Whilst Michael is far less brutal in his methods and has a moral conscience but is extremely greedy and treacherous. I’m no writer but this storyboard is greatly preferred 👍🏽

Algonquin Assassin
On 1/3/2021 at 2:11 AM, Ryo256 said:

GTA V is probably the only exception where most of your crimes are you being forced by FIB rather than you doing something on your own terms.

I still remember before release how they kept pushing the idea that most of the story would be us working for ourselves. Infact looking back in hindsight it's funny how they used Blitz Play in the gameplay trailer to promote the heists yet it's one of the heists the FIB order us to do. Most of the heists are controlled by the FIB rather than something we do on our own terms.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was false advertising, but it was definitely misleading.

• Like 4
FortifiedGooner86

What's wrong with GTA V's story? Well, everybody has said it but I'll add a few things.

Franklin's introduction was rushed. He could've had a few more missions with Lamar and Simeon before he met Michael. Also, it would've been a great time to give us more of a insight into his life. Cos let's face it, Franklin was underdeveloped. He had potential but R* chose to ignore it.

Another character that was underdeveloped is Trevor. I mean, what the hell happened to TPI? His so-called "criminal empire" that never actually got running? Those introduction missions for his business were a total waste of time as it serves no real purpose in the story whatsoever. 

The antagonists are sh*t. I've never seen a group of villains so bad in my life. Not really scary or likable at all. Stretch/Wei Cheng hardly had any screen time, Martin was a total disappointment, Steve was a d*ck and Devin was just pathetic. Steve is probably the best villain of GTA V but even his storyline was dragged out. R* could've done a bit more with some of these characters + Don Percival. He could've been a good antagonist for the story. 

Here's what I would add/fix:

• Franklin Getting Involved In Gang Activity (e.g. fighting against the Ballas & other gangs)
  • Franklin & Simeon Working Together (e.g. importing/exporting cars)
  • Not Letting The FIB Take Over Half Of The Story
  • Making Use Of Other Characters (e.g. Chef, Don Percival, Stretch, Tanisha Jackson, Wei Cheng) 
  • Trevor Utilising His Business Properly (e.g. stealing/selling product from gangs in Blaine County & LS)
  • Turning Martin Madrazo Into A Proper Antagonist Of The Game
Edited by FortifiedGooner86
  • Like 4
PhantomJawn

The story of V satisfied me however the content after you finished the main story is somewhat hollow and doesn't get anymore replay value compared to the rest of the series for me.

Ryo256
11 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was false advertising, but it was definitely misleading.

I agree, most of the trailers (except for Franklin one having a gangbanger theme) simply have scenes cut involving FIB so that's not like the story wasn't what we got but these two points in official gameplay video (0:56) and (3:37) that really grinds my gear.

0:56 involves Ending C animation (and Trevor asking, "Now what?") in the Blitz Heist, It's not a big deal but it gave me a sort of.....fun vibe you know, like you doing one of the many heists you set up and one of them goes wrong like van blowing up and Trevor goes, "Now what?" similar to how Niko and Packie lose the diamonds to a trash truck and they have funny conversation of where did the diamonds even come from? It's a great moment IMO but Blitz heist turned out to be just work work work like most FIB heists.

3:37 talks about how we are "criminals" 656135804678045718.png whose entire lifestyle in the game involves committing big heists willingly for money so we can spend it on luxury. Instead, we are barely surviving with FIB up our ass let alone have time for luxury.

• Like 6

I think GTA V's story is meant to be taken as a character study, rather than the sequence of events happening.

• Like 1
The Wolf Man

I don't think the story is that broken. There are issues for sure but it's also a much smarter narrative than many give it credit for. Plus the dialogues are top level IMO.

• Like 2
FanEu7
5 minutes ago, The Wolf Man said:

I don't think the story is that broken. There are issues for sure but it's also a much smarter narrative than many give it credit for. Plus the dialogues are top level IMO.

Exactly..GTA V's story is underrated. It has some flaws (weak antagonists are the biggest one in my opinion) but overall it was very engaging. The dialogue was great, I could listen to the main characters talking for hours

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
3 hours ago, The Wolf Man said:

The dialogue is top notch in basically every R* game so I don’t see how this makes GTA V stand out.

Also if you’re going to claim the story’s smarter than many give it credit for you should back it up as I see a lot more valid points in this thread that say the complete opposite.

• Like 4
DR:BUSTA
On 1/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, FanEu7 said:

Honestly I don't think GTA V's story is worse than 3D Era GTA stories. It just pales in comparison with GTA IV. GTA SA's story had its own problems after the first arc. Vice City was a bit too simple and just doing property missions in the second half and the others (GTA 3, LCS, VCS) were forgettable.

Someone : who's the most evil villian of all time

Friends: Joker , Thanos , Hannibal 

Me:

Edited by DR:BUSTA
  • KEKW 1
FanEu7
8 minutes ago, DR:BUSTA said:

Someone : who's you favorite villian of all time

Friends: Joker , Thanos , Hannibal 

Me:

Don't get me wrong, I love SA and VC (don't care much about the other 3D era GTA's though) but I just feel like GTA V is also really good and kind of underrated on this forum

On 1/2/2021 at 2:40 PM, Algonquin Assassin said:

IMO much of the story’s flaws come from break neck pace and barely developing arcs before moving onto the next making them feel insanely rushed.

I agree . when I was speaking with a GTA 5 fan And told him this he replied saying that the game wants to put you always in action so you won't get bored and I actually see his point and kinda agree with what he said 

The game doesn't want you to take the story seriously and the story doesn't take the narration seriously .

But I won't forgive trailers for hyping me for 4 full stories

I mean CJ alone hade 104 missions

Niko alone had  99 missions

But the three protagonists had 69 missions ?

I mean Toni f*cking Cipriani had 71 missions  and we still don't understand sh*t about his character so how is 69 missions enough to develop three protagonists characters ?

But atleast in Toni's case rockstar threw the 2 million dollars thing during the last minute as an answer to all of our questions about Toni's character (which is lazy IMO)

Edited by DR:BUSTA
I he wrong bruh there are a lot of missing words where da f*ck did they go?
  • Like 2
FanEu7
45 minutes ago, DR:BUSTA said:

I agree . when I was speaking with a GTA 5 fan And told him this he replied saying that the game wants to put you always in action so you won't get bored and I actually see his point and kinda agree with what he said 

The game doesn't want you to take the story seriously and the story doesn't take the narration seriously .

But I won't forgive trailers for hyping me for 4 full stories

I mean CJ alone hade 104 missions

Niko alone had  99 missions

But the three protagonists had 69 missions ?

I mean Toni f*cking Cipriani had 71 missions  and we still don't understand sh*t about his character so how is 69 missions enough to develop three protagonists characters ?

But atleast in Toni's case rockstar threw the 2 million dollars thing during the last minute as an answer to all of our questions about Toni's character (which is lazy IMO)

While I agree that more missions were needed, plenty of GTA V missions are way longer than the missions in previous games so its not like GTA V is short. Still for 3 Protagonists more were needed, as it stands Michael feels like the main MC and is fleshed out but the other two are more side characters turned into main characters (Franklin especially)

1 minute ago, FanEu7 said:

GTA V missions are way longer than the missions in previous games

But they're still doing one mission ,one  quest

Gameplay wise that's good

Story wise it won't make a difference if missions  were longer 

Longer missions   help a bit with the three protagonists but it's still doing one quest

2 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

stands Michael feels like the main MC and is fleshed out

I agree

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
22 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

While I agree that more missions were needed, plenty of GTA V missions are way longer than the missions in previous games so its not like GTA V is short. Still for 3 Protagonists more were needed, as it stands Michael feels like the main MC and is fleshed out but the other two are more side characters turned into main characters (Franklin especially)

I think this contributes to most of GTA V’s pacing issues though. If we take Scouting The Port for example which most people abhor that mission is insanely drawn out and not because it’s interesting. It’s just padded out for the sake of being padded.

The way I see it long missions are welcome as long as the content is interesting. Most of the “long” missions in GTA V felt like unnecessarily extrapolated driving sequences to get from point A to B without much going on in between. Infact I would’ve preferred some more, if not shorter missions in duration if it meant for tighter and more focused situations than a bunch of 15+ minute missions that feel like a grind and chore to get through.

RDR1 only had about 55 missions which is far less GTA V yet I never felt like it was that short.

• Like 5
FanEu7
51 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I think this contributes to most of GTA V’s pacing issues though. If we take Scouting The Port for example which most people abhor that mission is insanely drawn out and not because it’s interesting. It’s just padded out for the sake of being padded.

The way I see it long missions are welcome as long as the content is interesting. Most of the “long” missions in GTA V felt like unnecessarily extrapolated driving sequences to get from point A to B without much going on in between. Infact I would’ve preferred some more, if not shorter missions in duration if it meant for tighter and more focused situations than a bunch of 15+ minute missions that feel like a grind and chore to get through.

RDR1 only had about 55 missions which is far less GTA V yet I never felt like it was that short.

Yeah that mission sucks but it (and did somebody say yoga) are the exception. I don't think most GTA V missions are like that at all. Lots of driving is not a problem for me, that's classic GTA.

RDR1 had real different arcs which helped. In GTA V after Trevor arrives in LS everything just kind of blends together. 

To be honest for me RDR1 felt a bit tedious at times as well, like the Mexico arc. It was too focused on Marston doing favours for random characters to get some info. 

Edited by FanEu7
  • Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
1 hour ago, FanEu7 said:

Yeah that mission sucks but it (and did somebody say yoga) are the exception. I don't think most GTA V missions are like that at all. Lots of driving is not a problem for me, that's classic GTA.

I probably should’ve explained myself a little better.

It’s not that I have a problem with lots of driving. I wouldn’t be into the GTA series if I didn’t like driving all the time. It’s just with GTA V there are some segments that are so painful like when you’re asked to drive from the city to somewhere out in the desert and back again or something.

I can’t help, but feel how long some of these missions are they could’ve been cut down to allow for a couple more bite sized missions not making it such a drag. Then are we cases like the infamous boiler suits, masks etc that literally a few seconds to complete. Quite often it goes from one extreme to another. I guess I just would’ve liked more of a middle ground is all.

• Like 3
Thelema93
Spoiler

More Trevor would of made everything better. An entire Ursula arc where they go on a Catalina CJ like spree.. just more subplots in general. Ones that aren’t cheesey strangers and freaks missions. I mean really? Triathlons with a midlife crisis housewife? 

• Like 1
Bigglo145

Why are characters in V so damn gullible? Especially franklin. For one, he believes michael actually wanted to take him out for a drink and wasnt being sarcastic? And then he is in between wanting to be in a gang and not being a gang is annoying, he tells stretch him and lamar are starting their own gang but then hes all like “im tryna get away from all this petty bullsh*t.”

And then michael is just okay with killing people after being retired for years. Atleast the first time niko killed someone, sad music played and he said something about how he promised himself things would be different here.

trevor shouldve been a side character. A powerful cannibal meth smoking redneck? Who thought of this in the writing room?

imo, to make the game better id give each character more missions that are seperate from the other protagonist to show their arc and growth. The game moves too fast for 3 characters

• Like 4
Ryo256
2 hours ago, Bigglo145 said:

Why are characters in V so damn gullible? Especially franklin. For one, he believes michael actually wanted to take him out for a drink and wasnt being sarcastic?

This is definitely the stupidest and forced plot point in GTA V. The guy put a gun to your head, forced you to smash your car into your boss' shop and got you fired. Yeah, let's go to his house again for a drink he sarcastically offered.....

FanEu7
3 hours ago, Bigglo145 said:

Why are characters in V so damn gullible? Especially franklin. For one, he believes michael actually wanted to take him out for a drink and wasnt being sarcastic? And then he is in between wanting to be in a gang and not being a gang is annoying, he tells stretch him and lamar are starting their own gang but then hes all like “im tryna get away from all this petty bullsh*t.”

And then michael is just okay with killing people after being retired for years. Atleast the first time niko killed someone, sad music played and he said something about how he promised himself things would be different here.

trevor shouldve been a side character. A powerful cannibal meth smoking redneck? Who thought of this in the writing room?

imo, to make the game better id give each character more missions that are seperate from the other protagonist to show their arc and growth. The game moves too fast for 3 characters

Michael already made it clear that he didn't have any problem with Franklin in particular, otherwise he would have beat him up when he broke into his house, his beef was with Simeon who he dealt with. Also Franklin was desperate anyway.

And what Lamar and Franklin wanted to started is not a typical gang, more like something to move away from the hood bs and gang wars and do something different.

Michael unlike Niko never had any remorse about killing people..he didn't retire because of that either. Also Niko was a bit sad for like a second and had no problems after that. GTA protagonists are ruthless.  I don't see how he expected to not kill anyone and still find Darko /Florian anyway.

I only agree on your last point, more missions would have been good

• Like 1
Niobium

well for starters, it had weak characters. it had the the most boring antagonists of any GTA game. madrazo had potential but trevor turned him into a complete joke. while i'm not too crazy about the idea of johnny being an antagonist, it still would have been better than that stupid f*cking cutscene we got. steve haines and devin weston were ehhh. stretch and wei cheng were completely forgettable. there were plenty of villains that were better than what we got in V. tempenny was threatening, dimitri was a snake, billy grey was kind of badass, but these guys are clowns.

the protagonists? franklin had his moments, but overall he was a bland character with no development who got completely overshadowed by his sidekick. michael is ok. at least his backstory is kind of interesting and i like his interactions with solomon richards, but his annoying family drags him down. don't even get me started on trevor, he's just awful.

the plot? well it was supposed to be about pursuing the almighty dollar, but instead you run around doing bitchwork for the FIB while doing boring things like doing yoga, driving towtrucks, and crane lifting. people criticize GTA IV for having repetitive missions, but i swear to god GTA V has some of the most boring missions in any GTA. you rarely even make money, and when you do make money it doesn't even matter because just most GTA games there is nothing to buy.

i swear to god if people are praising GTA V because it's nowhere near as half-baked and unpolished as cyberpunk, then this industry is f*cked.

• Like 4
cp1dell

Was going to post this in "What has this game become" since I was talking about Trevor, but it belongs here.

If they only left us with an alternate version of endings A and B, that would be better. I think the best idea would to still have some version of "The Third Way," but depending on if you're killing Michael or Trevor, you don't kill Haines or Weston. Then you have the short mission after where you kill Michael or Trevor. Or maybe kill them first, then the ambush. Or maybe just make it one mission. Who knows. But this way, all the loose ends are still wrapped up, you still get the classic GTA Finale, and with only two options you actually HAVE to make a choice. I'm sure both, or just the metal refinery ambush mission would be very different to accommodate for these changes, but something like that would have been better than choosing A or B and being left with a very lackluster final mission.

Then again, if we really were to be left with two endings, I wish they did more with the whole Michael vs Trevor aspect of the story. There's so much in the story that is just so half-assed. That's the best way to sum it up I guess. The character interactions and dialogue is good, especially during some of the more "serious" moments, and there are some hints of a much more ambitious story there, but overall it feels unfinished. Between Franklin's story, and the Michael/Trevor dynamic it just looks incomplete.

Edited by cp1dell
  • Like 4
FanEu7
14 hours ago, Niobium said:

well for starters, it had weak characters. it had the the most boring antagonists of any GTA game. madrazo had potential but trevor turned him into a complete joke. while i'm not too crazy about the idea of johnny being an antagonist, it still would have been better than that stupid f*cking cutscene we got. steve haines and devin weston were ehhh. stretch and wei cheng were completely forgettable. there were plenty of villains that were better than what we got in V. tempenny was threatening, dimitri was a snake, billy grey was kind of badass, but these guys are clowns.

the protagonists? franklin had his moments, but overall he was a bland character with no development who got completely overshadowed by his sidekick. michael is ok. at least his backstory is kind of interesting and i like his interactions with solomon richards, but his annoying family drags him down. don't even get me started on trevor, he's just awful.

the plot? well it was supposed to be about pursuing the almighty dollar, but instead you run around doing bitchwork for the FIB while doing boring things like doing yoga, driving towtrucks, and crane lifting. people criticize GTA IV for having repetitive missions, but i swear to god GTA V has some of the most boring missions in any GTA. you rarely even make money, and when you do make money it doesn't even matter because just most GTA games there is nothing to buy.

i swear to god if people are praising GTA V because it's nowhere near as half-baked and unpolished as cyberpunk, then this industry is f*cked.

People have been praising GTA V since it came out, its not like its only now getting appreciation. Its superior to every other similiar type of game so once they come out people see how much better V is. Be it the Watch Dogs games, Mafia 3 or now Cyberpunk

Ryo256

Watch_Dogs 1 and 2, Mafia 2 and 3, Just Cause 2,3 and 4, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3 and 4 are better than GTA V in my humble opinion.

GTA V is better than Cyberpunk 2077 which isn't saying much in my humble opinion.

I think the positive public opinion on GTA V was more related to hype and bandwagoning than it actually being good on its own in my humble opinion.

Spoiler

In My Humble Opinion

• Like 2