3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

How many missions should GTA VI have?

FanEu7

People complained that GTA V was too short but then I saw lots of whining about RDR2 being too "dragged out" and long. Seems like people will complain either way.

EliteGamer_6

Depends how many protagonists there are. If there's one, V's length is good enough tbh. If there's multiple, then there needs to be significantly more missions. 

Edit: I will never understand people complaining about a long story. Seriously, I love them cuz it means I can spend so much time on the game and not have that emptiness in me for a while. 

Edited by EliteGamer_6
  • Like 2
Jason

Mission count is really meaningless as missions can be 2 minutes long or 2 hours, but anyway, I often find that people think games back in the day were longer than they actually were for the most part. GTA V for example is seemingly pretty much identical in terms of length to San Andreas according to howlongtobeat.com, which despite the sample sizes not being huge is otherwise typically pretty reliable when it comes to getting these times in my experience.

GTA 3: ~16 hours on average

Vice City: ~19 hours on average

SA: ~31 hours on average

IV: ~27 hours on average

V: ~32 hours on average

RDR: ~17 hours on average

RDR2: ~48 hours on average

Personally I think the sweet spot for GTA is V/SA length, I don't think it needs to be longer and if they do make it longer then make that content side stuff. RDR2 could have shaved probably 10 hours off it's main story path and be no worse off for it, so the 30-40 sweet spot I think is about right IMO.

• Like 2
DexMacLeod

I was pretty happy with GTA V's length. Wouldn't mind if they did that again, but I'd take more. Whatever works best for the story being told.

• Like 1
Thejeffster

Around V's but maybe about ten or fifteenish more of them, more actual missions and not "Get this for the heist" like some of them were.

Edited by Thejeffster
  • Like 1
CoryLVV

I think between V and RDR2's length is the best spot. But there needs to be more character development than V had. It felt like V just had a bunch of filler missions and only a few missions with real character development. I want a reason for the protagonist(s) to progress, might be an unpopular opinion but GTAV had the least character development out of GTAIV, GTA3,VC, and SA.

Edited by CoryLVV
  • Like 2
DexMacLeod
2 hours ago, CoryLVV said:

I think between V and RDR2's length is the best spot. But there needs to be more character development than V had. It felt like V just had a bunch of filler missions and only a few missions with real character development. I want a reason for the protagonist(s) to progress, might be an unpopular opinion but GTAV had the least character development out of GTAIV, GTA3,VC, and SA.

I don't think GTA protagonists ever really have character development. They generally end the game pretty much the same as they started it, just with more money and stuff. I think GTA V was the closest they've come to actual character development.

• KEKW 3
GinsengElixir

I'm more interested in side missions being expanded. By this I mean ways of making cash and expanding our criminal enterprise, which become more complex the higher up we get, and to be able to initiate these ourselves rather than 'go do a favour for this person'.

• Like 3
CoryLVV

What about ways to continue interacting with characters from the story after the initial ending?

Ex: You can arrange store/small bank robberies with the other protagonists/story characters. Maybe one of the main characters from the story is a drug lord and you can sell drugs for them. Maybe occasionally one of your friend gets arrested and they contact you to break them out of prison transport or cop cars.

A big thing I hate about finishing the main story is there's not really any more interacting with the characters besides hanging out.

• Like 2
Kris194
9 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

People complained that GTA V was too short but then I saw lots of whining about RDR2 being too "dragged out" and long. Seems like people will complain either way.

I would say, don't look at people who say, that either story is too long or map is too big. As long as those two things are interesting (like in RDRII) there is no such thing like too big/too long. Most people who complain about too big size/length don't complete game even if it's much shorter/smaller. Why sacrifice incredible development of your story for sake of people who may not complete the game even if it will be much shorter? I would like to remind everyone, that we'll be playing this game for many years and if it's possible then it should be very long.

• Like 2
  • fir thi bairns 1
DeltaV20
9 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

V's story was suppose to be built more through Story dlc's but after heist dlc for gta online R*/T2 changed there plans , or maybe Mr Benz and Houser brothers problem disturbed the SP content (2014-16) (i can be wrong) 

testarossa 86

I think with Red Dead Redemption 2's story being "dragged out" and long solely comes from the fact that the game itself is very slow-paced most likely due to the time period. the characters walk and use horses to get to their destination making for extra long and deep conversations for the trip. the map feels bigger due to this. (even though it is a big map)

I personally do not mind how long and dragged out the story was in RDR2 and would love to see the same effort in GTA VI.

roughly 70-80 main story missions would be ideal.

• Like 3
Kris194
14 hours ago, EliteGamer_6 said:

Edit: I will never understand people complaining about a long story. Seriously, I love them cuz it means I can spend so much time on the game and not have that emptiness in me for a while. 

Like I said, many people will not complete it even if it will be much much shorter. Take a look at The Last of Us for example. Only about 50-60% people completed this game and it's very linear and only ~15 hours long. Making the story shorter because some people complain, that it's long is like making map smaller because some people complain, that it's big...

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 2
Willman249

I'd say about 75-95, ideally around 85

When a GTA game has too many missions (San Andreas with 104, it feels stretched out and kind of padded)

When a GTA game has too few missions (GTA III with 51, it feels sort of lackluster and single plot focused)

Ideally the HD universe IV and V had the right number of missions with 79 and 90, especially GTA IV which had the best story campaign in terms of gameplay and quality.  

• Like 1
Len Lfc
16 hours ago, Jason said:

Mission count is really meaningless as missions can be 2 minutes long or 2 hours, but anyway, I often find that people think games back in the day were longer than they actually were for the most part. GTA V for example is seemingly pretty much identical in terms of length to San Andreas according to howlongtobeat.com, which despite the sample sizes not being huge is otherwise typically pretty reliable when it comes to getting these times in my experience.

GTA 3: ~16 hours on average

Vice City: ~19 hours on average

SA: ~31 hours on average

IV: ~27 hours on average

V: ~32 hours on average

RDR: ~17 hours on average

RDR2: ~48 hours on average

Personally I think the sweet spot for GTA is V/SA length, I don't think it needs to be longer and if they do make it longer then make that content side stuff. RDR2 could have shaved probably 10 hours off it's main story path and be no worse off for it, so the 30-40 sweet spot I think is about right IMO.

For me, it's less about number of missions and more about mission diversity, quality and how replayable they are. If the missions are all liner, then I'll still enjoy them. But having freedom to approach them all in unique ways would make all the difference. 

Having said that, numbers to still matter, to an extent. A game with 10 highly replayable missions would still feel disappointing, compared to 20 or 30 linear ones.

I'd just like a good balance of freedom, fun and great story writing. Honestly, for as much criticism that GTA V gets, I felt it was a very good overall balance. It just lacked a bit of freedom.

• Like 2
vcfan1991

For me, they can't make the story missions long enough. 

I want missions upon missions. 

Like GTA 4 and the two expansion packs: Roll em out roll em out.

I could think of 100 mission ideas. Rockstar can too. And more! 

Oh and R* if you're reading this... Don't, I mean don't even think to repeat the same pattern as GTA 5 and only give us one story mode. We need at least one main story mode and TWO alternative story modes to match GTA 4... At least!

Edited by vcfan1991
  • Like 1
Schwartzxz

as much as possible. if Im waiting for an epic game like GTA and in this case will have to wait for the game for a full decade I want it to be f*cking long. to me there is nothing worse than when I finally get a game that I was really excited about and I finish the game in 2-3 weeks because its short. I played RDR2 slowly and it took me 3 months to finish it. then I played again slightly different and got another 2 months out of it. I would like to see the same with GTA or any game for that matter.

• Like 1
  • fir thi bairns 1
Collibosher

The main story; about the length of GTA V. And then a never ending amount of side missions from long planned heists etc. to random taxi driver type jobs, I want the 100% completion to be INSANE. The story can be longer with several protagonists or by having that "episodic/chapter" approach. RDR2 was long, but the more cinematic story, experienced in chapters kinda required that (Tho I would've still added a third playable character or given the second more presence thru out the game)

I like GTA:SA so much, because the story and map is so diverse, that even tho the story is long, you never have time to get bored with the characters or the environment, because you'll be already traveling to another place... ghetto->forests->city of psychedelic wonders->desert->Vegas ... all the while building that main story to the finale. Hopefully the VI will have more than one city, because spending a RDR2 amount of time in a single city, surroundedby swamps sounds depressing.

• Like 1
Copcaller

I'm thinking around SA length personally I didn't see anything wrong with rdr 2s length I know some people hate lengthy stories I saw a lot of complaining about uncharted 4 too. The missions need to be both fun and flesh the characters out V had too few missions for 3 playable characters imo. 

• Like 1
GinsengElixir

For me RDR2 only started dragging in chapter 5 but that's mostly down to the missions becoming huge gallery shooters. I got bored of shooting 100's of people. Mission variety is more important than any mumber.

• Like 3
Gettin up

The more the better. I would like it to have around 100 missions plus side missions, but idk how they are gonna play it out.

• Like 1
ThirstyHyena

I'd like it to be a mixture of a 3D era and HD era campaign. A 100 missions like San Andreas, some heists, some big shootouts and some shorter "filler" missions that GTA V missed imo. I liked say being security to Phil Collins, Monster and even some harder ones like Espresso 2 Go, Demolition Man, Vertical Bird etc... 

• Bruh 1
GTA-Biker

I think if there's one protagonist then around 70 missions would be enough,but if they plan to make multiple protagonists there should be around 100 missions,maybe even 120 seeing as GTA SA and GTA 4 had around 100 missions with one protagonist and they didn't feel too long.

Also,if there's gonna be some short simple tasks like some of those heist preps in GTA 5 (getting masks, getting boiler suits, getting a four door car, etc.),they should put several tasks in one mission.Having the whole mission be just getting to the store and buying a mask was stupid,it felt like they were just splitting what should be one mission into several short missions to make the story seem longer.

• Like 3