1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Are you worried about GTA VI's story and characters now that Dan Houser has left Rockstar Games?

FanEu7

10 hours ago, Huffin-Puffin said:

Not a fan of the stories of IV or V so I’m hoping that whoever takes over is a bit less fond of ripping off whatever the most popular TV series of the moment is. I much preferred the more restrained story style of 3 and VC, but from SA onward and especially in the HD era games there’s been more and more cutscenes that I found more and more boring. Hopefully some new writers will be more interested in writing cutscenes that work well with gameplay and less interested in writing bad movies that I have to watch instead of playing a game. 

It's your right to do not like something but boring and bad? Get some taste man. Cutscenes are huge part of story and storytelling. Not to even mention, that cutscenes in RDRII are better directed than many movies.

We have waiting this long for GTA VI, Rockstar must have spend a good amount of time to flesh-out a good story, even after Dan's departure.

Hardly.. if anything, I'm sick of his formula. He's not the only brain behind open world crime stories.. itll be just fine.. the rest of the Devs have made enough of these to know how to pull it off without daddy Houser there to guide them

worried? i don't know really.

sure dan wrote IV, TLAD, and RDR1. but he also wrote V. then he went out with a swan song with RDR2.

i know good writers make mistakes sometimes, but V's story was so bad it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. i am conflicted. VI's story could be bad with or without dan.

Edited by Niobium
billiejoearmstrong8
On 1/5/2021 at 10:31 PM, Huffin-Puffin said:

Not a fan of the stories of IV or V so I’m hoping that whoever takes over is a bit less fond of ripping off whatever the most popular TV series of the moment is. I much preferred the more restrained story style of 3 and VC, but from SA onward and especially in the HD era games there’s been more and more cutscenes that I found more and more boring. Hopefully some new writers will be more interested in writing cutscenes that work well with gameplay and less interested in writing bad movies that I have to watch instead of playing a game. 

To your first point I think it's the opposite. III, VC and SA are literally movie pastiches. It's not a knock on them, they bring their own spin and creativity as well and it's not a "rip off" it's an open homage. But that's essentially what they are, parodies/pastiches of various movies and tv shows. HD era GTA stories still take influence from movies and tv but not nearly to the same extent, they're much more original. 

To the second point I guess that's just a matter of preference. I enjoy the heavier focus on cutscenes and storytelling so I hope that continues (and I think it will) but I also don't like to see gameplay suffer (eg missions where it's basically one big cutscene and you just push a couple of buttons). Imo they should be able to deliver both, no need to sacrifice quality story writing for good gameplay with plenty of freedom once you take back control and do the mission to be possible or vice versa, at their level they should be able to manage this. I hope they put effort into both areas. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
On 1/8/2021 at 4:07 AM, Thelema93 said:

Hardly.. if anything, I'm sick of his formula. He's not the only brain behind open world crime stories.. itll be just fine.. the rest of the Devs have made enough of these to know how to pull it off without daddy Houser there to guide them

He doesn't have a formula..I mean GTA IV and V are as different as it gets. Then we got RDR2 which was again very different. Also who else can write open world crime stories so well? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

He doesn't have a formula..I mean GTA IV and V are as different as it gets. Then we got RDR2 which was again very different. Also who else can write open world crime stories so well? 

Oh he definitely has a formula.. it's that sweet, bitter taste we've all been sipping on since GTA 3.. he may change up a few of the steps in the recipe between games but it's all in all the same product.. you can see it from a mile away.. don't tell me you'd confuse a GTA story with... say, a saints row, sleeping dogs, mafia or perhaps a Kane n Lynch story...GTA is GTA.. a few too many "69" jokes later.. 

SwishiestRock29
On 1/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, Thelema93 said:

Oh he definitely has a formula.. it's that sweet, bitter taste we've all been sipping on since GTA 3.. he may change up a few of the steps in the recipe between games but it's all in all the same product.. you can see it from a mile away.. don't tell me you'd confuse a GTA story with... say, a saints row, sleeping dogs, mafia or perhaps a Kane n Lynch story...GTA is GTA.. a few too many "69" jokes later.. 

agreed I think imo Dan houser and Leslie benzies leaving rockstar is a good thing. Gta 5 felt like they had no idea where to go. I feel like rockstar need new blood even though Dan Leslie and lazlow are talented people

On 1/12/2021 at 1:50 AM, SwishiestRock29 said:

agreed I think imo Dan houser and Leslie benzies leaving rockstar is a good thing. Gta 5 felt like they had no idea where to go. I feel like rockstar need new blood even though Dan Leslie and lazlow are talented people

Meanwhile RDR2 was a masterpiece..GTA V was still great too and better than any other open world crime game 

SwishiestRock29
46 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

Meanwhile RDR2 was a masterpiece..GTA V was still great too and better than any other open world crime game 

Yeah but you could see the repetitive writing style Dan had it kinda off put me for a second play through. I felt like I experienced this in another rockstar game. Again I’m glad some of the rockstar old heads are leaving whether sometime it’s time for new blood

32 minutes ago, SwishiestRock29 said:

Yeah but you could see the repetitive writing style Dan had it kinda off put me for a second play through. I felt like I experienced this in another rockstar game. Again I’m glad some of the rockstar old heads are leaving whether sometime it’s time for new blood

New blood doesn't mean things will improve, look at Bioware after many important left

GTA V story sucked with Micheal dragging the rest of the crew a long. I mean it was his ideal that end him in debt.

GTA VI story will allow for multiple playthroughs, especially since we aren't getting GTA VII in our primes.

SwishiestRock29
3 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

New blood doesn't mean things will improve, look at Bioware after many important left

What BioWare always had terrible management even in their prime BioWare ruined BioWare not ea. Ofc new blood don’t mean things will be better but we seen what rockstar can do without of the older employees who left with benzies so Imma at least be optimistic 

LCS, VCS, and CTW were made without Rockstar North as lead developers and VCS added a lot of new things to the series that were unfortunately never seen again with empire building which was the assets and gang wars from previous games but combined and expanded upon and CTW introduced drug dealing these were groundbreaking new ideas that haven't been touched since.

I think having new eyes working on the series is good and we'd be able to get new things instead of the same old same old. We need to see them think outside of the box. Now there could also be the possibility of this not working out and being a bad game but we'll see.

Dan Houser wrote GTA IV which in my opinion was a great story. The same Dan Houser Also wrote GTA V which was not a good story soo....

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3

Not really? I'm thinking about the story of GTA V and man, i wouldn't mind it one bit if someone different came in to write the sequel to this

Not really.

A) He's likely been the main writer for VI before he left. I'd be pretty certain the story was finished a few years ago (the major part of it).

B) There are other talents at Rockstar that will take over. RDR2 was fantastic but V as well know was a mess. Dan himself was not flawless as a writer and maybe he had ran out of steam a bit with regards to GTA writing?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Zello said:

LCS, VCS, and CTW were made without Rockstar North as lead developers and VCS added a lot of new things to the series that were unfortunately never seen again with empire building which was the assets and gang wars from previous games but combined and expanded upon and CTW introduced drug dealing these were groundbreaking new ideas that haven't been touched since.

I think having new eyes working on the series is good and we'd be able to get new things instead of the same old same old. We need to see them think outside of the box. Now there could also be the possibility of this not working out and being a bad game but we'll see.

Dan Houser wrote GTA IV which in my opinion was a great story. The same Dan Houser Also wrote GTA V which was not a good story soo....

Dan Houser wrote all the GTA's..including VCS. So even if you dislike GTA V's story (I think it was a good story) most of the stories he wrote are good unless you don't like the 3D Era plots

• Like 1