Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. Los Santos Tuners
      2. Updates
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Blood Money
      2. Frontier Pursuits
      3. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      4. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. GTA San Andreas

      1. Classic GTA SA
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    2. GTA Vice City

      1. Classic GTA VC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    3. GTA III

      1. Classic GTA III
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    6. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

      1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Are you worried about GTA VI's story and characters now that Dan Houser has left Rockstar Games?


FanEu7
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Huffin-Puffin said:

Not a fan of the stories of IV or V so I’m hoping that whoever takes over is a bit less fond of ripping off whatever the most popular TV series of the moment is. I much preferred the more restrained story style of 3 and VC, but from SA onward and especially in the HD era games there’s been more and more cutscenes that I found more and more boring. Hopefully some new writers will be more interested in writing cutscenes that work well with gameplay and less interested in writing bad movies that I have to watch instead of playing a game. 

It's your right to do not like something but boring and bad? Get some taste man. Cutscenes are huge part of story and storytelling. Not to even mention, that cutscenes in RDRII are better directed than many movies.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have waiting this long for GTA VI, Rockstar must have spend a good amount of time to flesh-out a good story, even after Dan's departure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hardly.. if anything, I'm sick of his formula. He's not the only brain behind open world crime stories.. itll be just fine.. the rest of the Devs have made enough of these to know how to pull it off without daddy Houser there to guide them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

worried? i don't know really.

 

sure dan wrote IV, TLAD, and RDR1. but he also wrote V. then he went out with a swan song with RDR2.

 

i know good writers make mistakes sometimes, but V's story was so bad it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. i am conflicted. VI's story could be bad with or without dan.

Edited by Niobium
Link to comment
Share on other sites

billiejoearmstrong8
On 1/5/2021 at 10:31 PM, Huffin-Puffin said:

Not a fan of the stories of IV or V so I’m hoping that whoever takes over is a bit less fond of ripping off whatever the most popular TV series of the moment is. I much preferred the more restrained story style of 3 and VC, but from SA onward and especially in the HD era games there’s been more and more cutscenes that I found more and more boring. Hopefully some new writers will be more interested in writing cutscenes that work well with gameplay and less interested in writing bad movies that I have to watch instead of playing a game. 


To your first point I think it's the opposite. III, VC and SA are literally movie pastiches. It's not a knock on them, they bring their own spin and creativity as well and it's not a "rip off" it's an open homage. But that's essentially what they are, parodies/pastiches of various movies and tv shows. HD era GTA stories still take influence from movies and tv but not nearly to the same extent, they're much more original. 

 

To the second point I guess that's just a matter of preference. I enjoy the heavier focus on cutscenes and storytelling so I hope that continues (and I think it will) but I also don't like to see gameplay suffer (eg missions where it's basically one big cutscene and you just push a couple of buttons). Imo they should be able to deliver both, no need to sacrifice quality story writing for good gameplay with plenty of freedom once you take back control and do the mission to be possible or vice versa, at their level they should be able to manage this. I hope they put effort into both areas. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2021 at 4:07 AM, Thelema93 said:

Hardly.. if anything, I'm sick of his formula. He's not the only brain behind open world crime stories.. itll be just fine.. the rest of the Devs have made enough of these to know how to pull it off without daddy Houser there to guide them

 

He doesn't have a formula..I mean GTA IV and V are as different as it gets. Then we got RDR2 which was again very different. Also who else can write open world crime stories so well? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

 

He doesn't have a formula..I mean GTA IV and V are as different as it gets. Then we got RDR2 which was again very different. Also who else can write open world crime stories so well? 

Oh he definitely has a formula.. it's that sweet, bitter taste we've all been sipping on since GTA 3.. he may change up a few of the steps in the recipe between games but it's all in all the same product.. you can see it from a mile away.. don't tell me you'd confuse a GTA story with... say, a saints row, sleeping dogs, mafia or perhaps a Kane n Lynch story...GTA is GTA.. a few too many "69" jokes later.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, Thelema93 said:

Oh he definitely has a formula.. it's that sweet, bitter taste we've all been sipping on since GTA 3.. he may change up a few of the steps in the recipe between games but it's all in all the same product.. you can see it from a mile away.. don't tell me you'd confuse a GTA story with... say, a saints row, sleeping dogs, mafia or perhaps a Kane n Lynch story...GTA is GTA.. a few too many "69" jokes later.. 

agreed I think imo Dan houser and Leslie benzies leaving rockstar is a good thing. Gta 5 felt like they had no idea where to go. I feel like rockstar need new blood even though Dan Leslie and lazlow are talented people

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2021 at 1:50 AM, SwishiestRock29 said:

agreed I think imo Dan houser and Leslie benzies leaving rockstar is a good thing. Gta 5 felt like they had no idea where to go. I feel like rockstar need new blood even though Dan Leslie and lazlow are talented people

 

Meanwhile RDR2 was a masterpiece..GTA V was still great too and better than any other open world crime game 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

 

Meanwhile RDR2 was a masterpiece..GTA V was still great too and better than any other open world crime game 

Yeah but you could see the repetitive writing style Dan had it kinda off put me for a second play through. I felt like I experienced this in another rockstar game. Again I’m glad some of the rockstar old heads are leaving whether sometime it’s time for new blood

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, SwishiestRock29 said:

Yeah but you could see the repetitive writing style Dan had it kinda off put me for a second play through. I felt like I experienced this in another rockstar game. Again I’m glad some of the rockstar old heads are leaving whether sometime it’s time for new blood

 

New blood doesn't mean things will improve, look at Bioware after many important left

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GTA V story sucked with Micheal dragging the rest of the crew a long. I mean it was his ideal that end him in debt.

 

GTA VI story will allow for multiple playthroughs, especially since we aren't getting GTA VII in our primes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

 

New blood doesn't mean things will improve, look at Bioware after many important left

What BioWare always had terrible management even in their prime BioWare ruined BioWare not ea. Ofc new blood don’t mean things will be better but we seen what rockstar can do without of the older employees who left with benzies so Imma at least be optimistic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LCS, VCS, and CTW were made without Rockstar North as lead developers and VCS added a lot of new things to the series that were unfortunately never seen again with empire building which was the assets and gang wars from previous games but combined and expanded upon and CTW introduced drug dealing these were groundbreaking new ideas that haven't been touched since.

 

I think having new eyes working on the series is good and we'd be able to get new things instead of the same old same old. We need to see them think outside of the box. Now there could also be the possibility of this not working out and being a bad game but we'll see.

 

Dan Houser wrote GTA IV which in my opinion was a great story. The same Dan Houser Also wrote GTA V which was not a good story soo....

Edited by Zello
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not really? I'm thinking about the story of GTA V and man, i wouldn't mind it one bit if someone different came in to write the sequel to this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not really.

 

A) He's likely been the main writer for VI before he left. I'd be pretty certain the story was finished a few years ago (the major part of it).

B) There are other talents at Rockstar that will take over. RDR2 was fantastic but V as well know was a mess. Dan himself was not flawless as a writer and maybe he had ran out of steam a bit with regards to GTA writing?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Zello said:

LCS, VCS, and CTW were made without Rockstar North as lead developers and VCS added a lot of new things to the series that were unfortunately never seen again with empire building which was the assets and gang wars from previous games but combined and expanded upon and CTW introduced drug dealing these were groundbreaking new ideas that haven't been touched since.

 

I think having new eyes working on the series is good and we'd be able to get new things instead of the same old same old. We need to see them think outside of the box. Now there could also be the possibility of this not working out and being a bad game but we'll see.

 

Dan Houser wrote GTA IV which in my opinion was a great story. The same Dan Houser Also wrote GTA V which was not a good story soo....

 

Dan Houser wrote all the GTA's..including VCS. So even if you dislike GTA V's story (I think it was a good story) most of the stories he wrote are good unless you don't like the 3D Era plots

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
Quote

Its just given at this point ; Rockstar is dead because of normies who sh*t on the quality content and crave on silly Saint Rowish stuff. I bet Dan Houser just had it enough and walk away from the critic of RDR II being " too slow "  "too realistic"  etc. 10 years from now they will regret it like they did with GTA IV. I bet GTA V story was a direct respond of GTA IV critics or more like a gamble to see if the audience was intelligent enough to appreciate a mature story. He finish is experience with RDR II and made is decision of quiting the game. What the point any way to try to put out engaging master piece when people think about it as just a hooker killing simulator...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always wondered how they looked lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dan Houser, isn't he bald? I've learnt never to trust bald men in a corporate setting. I blame Jeff Bezos for giving them a bad reputation. 

  • KEKW 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It can only improve.

Edited by Americana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope at least GTA VI to be their last masterpiece like RDR2, no need to worry about GTA VII cos that will come out in 2049 :kekw:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Americana said:

It can only improve.

I doubt that all things point to the countrary but that the thing these day : delusional brand loyalty over anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To quote something that was said even by devs of other game companies, once Jeff Kaplan recently left Blizzard:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

To quote something that was said even by devs of other game companies once Jeff Kaplan recently left Blizzard:

 

 

 

 

i agree with this but in this instance its not just one person that left the company and there is a shift in the company culture so in my sense its totally different.  Only thing i might have hope for is Rob Nelson still being there and is rise in the company since is masterful delivery on Max Payne 3. But other than that i feel like its gonna be pretty bleak for rockstar position as the best studio out there. 

Edited by N-F-C
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thomas Cavendish

I wonder how would be this totally brand new revolutionary story mode from these people who think III VC SA IV V have a formula.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm worried and excited. 

 

I'm dipping into GTA V again and I detest the constant bitch-fest between Trevor and Michael. It's really quite frustrating and rarely charming. If that constant bickering is Houser's work then, quite frankly, I'm kind of excited to see what other writers will do. Having said that, I think RDR2 has had some of the best writing and most mature and advanced writing we've seen from Rockstar/Houser. 

 

I happen to like VC/SA but those had writing partner James Worrall. After Worrall left, we got GTA IV, which I think took itself a bit too seriously. I mean, like a more serious TV crime drama or videogame but I felt some of the fun was taken out of the sails of GTA with that title. Don't get me wrong, GTA IV is brilliant and I think it's better than V's storytelling. V seem to go way over the top in the opposite direction of IV. I don't think it needed to do that in hindsight. I think it need more of IV but just refined better. Actually I think my criticisms of IV's story could easily be remedied by outside the story fun and rewards. The world was constructed and constricted to the story. Whereas San Andreas' ridiculously big map was reflected in a big, grand story. 

 

So what can we expect from GTA VI? I don't know. I can't detract from Houser's brilliance of brining us these mad experiences. I just don't know what are exactly his ideas and what isn't. If he's responsible for the setting, the time or that decided between more people then the story is made and refined a as team. It's hard to credit him or discredit with specific things because I think GTA is just a huge collaborative effort. Obviously he's was the top-brass there so..  games like Vice City really appealed to me by being heavily inspired by Scarface and Miami Vice. And SA with Boyz In Da Hood and Menace II society. You can say Heat and Thief inspired GTA V but then set it those times too. I

 

Anyway, if we can get some writing like RDR2 - characters with real arcs. Like Dutch going from inspiring lead to being this detested shell of man and a mutinous gang - to Morgan seeking redemption - being a baddie faced with mortality and trying to reconcile with himself and help others in his final weeks. 

 

I also hope that whoever we play as, they're an outlaw and they're broke. I don't want to be handed mansions like we were in GTA V from the start, Michael and Franklin. Like one guy has it all ready made. There's no sense of gameplay there. I want gameplay empire building. So make me broke and the start and make me want to succeed in the game. Succeeding is getting money and building an empire. I don't want mansions handed to me in the story for nothing. 

 

I can't stand playing the guy that gets roped into the life of crime. I want to play a Vercetti type. He was in the game, he's greedy and wants to make his living. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mister Pink said:

I'm worried and excited. 

 

I'm dipping into GTA V again and I detest the constant bitch-fest between Trevor and Michael. It's really quite frustrating and rarely charming. If that constant bickering is Houser's work then, quite frankly, I'm kind of excited to see what other writers will do. Having said that, I think RDR2 has had some of the best writing and most mature and advanced writing we've seen from Rockstar/Houser. 

I have been thinking about this too, and also the overly satirical theme that is present in V. If VI is just another game that is overly focused on satire, then I am not that excited for it. I would like if they really toned the satire down.

That said, I have no doubts that by the time Dan left, VI was already in full production, based on the concept that consisted mostly of his ideas. So we will have to wait a bit longer for a game that is truly without any touch from Dan/Lazlow. It's gonna be very interesting indeed, especially taking into account how much work has gone into RDR2 by Dan alone. He said he consumed hundreds of books and films for RDR2 alone, which is a lot. And I have a feeling Rockstar enjoyed making RDR2 (at least in the creative aspect) a lot more. To me the writing is miles better than what we have seen previously. And the rest of the game feels that it received a lot more love and care than V did to be honest.

I am optimistic though. A new creative force may bring fresh ideas and explore completely new concepts/games Dan didn't think about before. But it's gonna be a good while before we see if that's gonna come true because VI is surely still Dan's project by large.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.