2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Are you worried about GTA VI's story and characters now that Dan Houser has left Rockstar Games?

FanEu7

Dan Houser always had a very unique style that gave the series a real identity. Without him (and also Lazlow) I'm worried GTA will become generic.

Pretty much every main GTA game since VC has had a memorable story and characters in my opinion, far superior to almost all other open world games. I mean just look at the "competition" like Watch Dogs

I'm worried about the "lore" of GTA and what they're gonna do with it, will they exploit and dilute it by doing punch of lame fan service etc. all the time? I'm also worried about the how much there going to be "attention to detail" and things left unanswered for fans to speculate and investigate for years to come or will everything in the story and especially in the map "feel" shallow and definitive (you know like in every other game). GTA:SA had cool mysterious references to an in-game cult Epsilon Program, references I only learned about years after the games release. Somehow I don't think I will be discovering new things about GTA 6, several years after it's release... I personally think the mysterious nature of the Epsilon Program was kinda already "exploited" in GTA V with it's prominent presence and Michael's involvement in it. 

So I guess I'm worried that the Houser's successors don't understand GTA and it's lore, only what's on the surface.

Backpacker | GTA Myths Wiki | Fandom

Edited by Collibosher
  • Like 2
42 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

I mean just look at the "competition" like Watch Dogs

gta V vs watch dogs 1 
gta V vs watch dogs 2 
gta V vs watch dogs legion
(gta v won everytime)

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Collibosher said:

So I guess I'm worried that the Houser's successors don't understand GTA and it's lore, only what's on the surface.

Dan houser wrote gta vi's story and bully 2's aswell imo 

Not worried for GTA 6 since it has already some time in development and probably Dan and Lazlow already wrote the story/lines. I am worried for the games after GTA 6 since so many central figures of Rockstar are gone. Usually when so many veterans leave things change and not in the good way.

Edited by aad9091
53 minutes ago, aad9091 said:

Not worried for GTA 6 since it has already some time in development and probably Dan and Lazlow already wrote the story/lines. I am worried for the games after GTA 6 since so many central figures of Rockstar are gone. Usually when so many veterans leave things change and not in the good way.

Agreed, this reminds me of Bioware. They went downhill once the founders & other important people left

20 hours ago, aad9091 said:

>implying that GTA 6 script wouldn't be rewritten at Zelnick order to remove Dan's work

6 minutes ago, kris_1313 said:

>implying that GTA 6 script wouldn't be rewritten at Zelnick order to remove Dan's work

I don't think Zelnick cares that much tbh. I mean he is known as a CEO who doesn't interfere in studios work, he just want the constant cash flow.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:52 PM, aad9091 said:

maybe leslie touched gta 6 a little , maybe just wrote a letter A 

As long as but a single aged Gothlike Scotsman remains in thi building,

Never will they oan any conditions be brought under thi Septic's rules.

It is in truth no' for glory,

Nor riches,

Nor honours,

That they are fighting,

But fir freedom - fir that alone,

Which nae honest man gies up but whae life itself

Edited by gonnaenodaethat
12 minutes ago, gonnaenodaethat said:

As long as but a single aged Gothlike Scotsman remains in thi building,

Never will they oan any conditions be brought under thi Septic's rules.

It is in truth no' for glory,

Nor riches,

Nor honours,

That they are fighting,

But fir freedom - fir that alone,

Which nae honest man gies up but whae life itself

Mate no offence but from i understand you claim that as long as Sam is in the house we don't have anything to fear.

Yet in one of your past posts a couple of days ago you said that he is starting to lose control and a small group of developers are in charge.

Which ones right?

Yes.

58 minutes ago, Dourvas said:

Mate no offence but from i understand you claim that as long as Sam is in the house we don't have anything to fear.

Yet in one of your past posts a couple of days ago you said that he is starting to lose control and a small group of developers are in charge.

Which ones right?

Sam will always be in the house. He’s a Houser.

59 minutes ago, Dourvas said:

Which ones right?

Sam isn't Scottish... 

• Best Bru 1
  • KEKW 2

I didn't even know anybody left Rockstar.

I would certainly guess the new game will be out in two or three years time.

there's other writers at Rockstar other than Dan Houser, even still he's not the only one who can write a story about crime, Rockstar could very well outsource that to a f*cking screenwriter if they really needed to 

No, I'm sure the games are going to get very interesting from now. Perhaps a new Grand Theft Auto is going to have a good and proper story. Maybe normal characters? 

Unless Grand Theft Auto VI is written by somebody who comes up with ideas for new Grand Theft Auto: Online DLCs, then... goodbye.

Edited by Americana
On 12/29/2020 at 2:08 PM, FanEu7 said:

Dan Houser always had a very unique style that gave the series a real identity. Without him (and also Lazlow) I'm worried GTA will become generic.

Pretty much every main GTA game since VC has had a memorable story and characters in my opinion, far superior to almost all other open world games. I mean just look at the "competition" like Watch Dogs

It's hard to say for certain whether the writing of the games will get worse. But I have faith in Michael Unsworth and Rupert Humphries that they can do a good job going forward without any contribution from Dan and Lazlow.

You must remember that this company probably means everything for these two guys, there's nothing to say they won't consult on future projects. We have no knowledge of the terms of their departure.

I am more worried for the quality of the audio now Lazlow is not there. If you were to list the top 3 things Rockstar do, audio is in that list without fail in every game. There is no apparent replacement for him reported as of yet. We know there are guys who can do the job in writing in Dan's absence, but we don't know if anyone can perform to Lazlow's standard for the audio. So that worries me more.

All we can do is hope that these losses were planned for many years and ample time was aligned to instil the work ethic, talent and drive that those guys have into their replacements.

Who knows, Dan's contribution might have been vastly scaled back for RDR2 with Michael and Rupert taking more of a lead approach. The quality in writing skyrocketed for RDR2 and there has to be a reason for that.

It's also worth noting that before Benzies left, he said that there were hundreds of years worth of ideas they had for games banked. How fleshed out those ideas are is anyone's guess.

Edited by darkdayz
  • Like 3
Huffin-Puffin

Not a fan of the stories of IV or V so I’m hoping that whoever takes over is a bit less fond of ripping off whatever the most popular TV series of the moment is. I much preferred the more restrained story style of 3 and VC, but from SA onward and especially in the HD era games there’s been more and more cutscenes that I found more and more boring. Hopefully some new writers will be more interested in writing cutscenes that work well with gameplay and less interested in writing bad movies that I have to watch instead of playing a game. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Huffin-Puffin said:

Not a fan of the stories of IV or V so I’m hoping that whoever takes over is a bit less fond of ripping off whatever the most popular TV series of the moment is. I much preferred the more restrained story style of 3 and VC, but from SA onward and especially in the HD era games there’s been more and more cutscenes that I found more and more boring. Hopefully some new writers will be more interested in writing cutscenes that work well with gameplay and less interested in writing bad movies that I have to watch instead of playing a game. 

I mean to each their own but VC literally ripped off Scarface...in comparison GTA IV had a more original story

I doubt that the cutscenes will decrease, if anything story focused games are more popular than ever before  now

Edited by FanEu7
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

I mean to each their own but VC literally ripped off Scarface...in comparison GTA IV had a more original story

Not really. Tommy isn't an immigrant from Cuba who works as a dishwasher, he hardly if ever touches drugs, he doesn't bang a rival drug lords wife. He also isn't rivals with a drug lord from a different country.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, Zello said:

Not really. Tommy isn't an immigrant from Cuba who works as a dishwasher, he hardly if ever touches drugs, he doesn't bang a rival drug lords wife. He also isn't rivals with a drug lord from a different country.

Obviously the character is different..Rockstar isn't lazy. But with that logic no GTA has ripped off any movie/series since Rockstar always adds their own stuff even if they get inspired by some iconic movies/series.

I mentioned it because it seems weird to complain about GTA SA, IV and V "ripping off" popular tv shows but then ignore how much Scarface (and Miami Vice) influenced VC. 

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
7 hours ago, Huffin-Puffin said:

So I take it you missed the plethora of references to The Godfather, Scarface, Miami Vice etc in GTA III and Vice City respectively? 

Your argument doesn’t make any sense. You’re hoping for new writers that aren’t as fond of “ripping off” popular TV shows or whatever yet since the dawn of the HD era that has been reduced dramatically especially since R* stopped casting big name celebrities and letting lesser known talent shine. Influences and references are still there, but they don’t stick out like a sore thumb like the 3D era.

Of course you don’t have to like the stories of GTA IV and GTA V, but it seems quite ridiculous that you’re giving a free pass to GTA III and Vice City for the things they technically “rip off”, but anything else is a no, no.🙄

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
SwishiestRock29

No this world isn’t lacking talented people. Plus you guys are forgetting there literally 2 other writers. Remember when everyone was worried when Leslie left rdr2 was gonna suck, now I don’t like rdr2 but the game came out pretty fine