3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RO-86 Alkonost Buff

cheburek_1

The Cayo Perico Heist introduced some cool vehicles like the the RO-86 Alkonost which in my opinion is a great looking plane. After I bought the plane and played around with a bit it I just had a feeling that it was rushed and lacked some cool features. Here are some problems I had with the plane: The spawn locations for the plane were all pretty bad as it always had obstacles in its path before it could take off, one location near the wind turbines was so bad that the plane would explode instantly after spawning. You can enter the plane by teleporting into it as long as you are around it which is very unrealistic. It is a huge plane and yet it only carries 50 bombs which is a pity because its only weapon are bombs and volatol, a plane that is smaller, can carry 100 bombs. It does have stealth mode but you can still be obliterated by the orbital cannon when in stealth mode unlike other stealth mode vehicles. Rockstar could at least give this plane better armor or something as it is a big target and such a big vehicle should technically have a lot of armor to compensate for its lack of weapons. The plane also could have had moving/ slightly foldable wings or something which could solve some problems like these spawn locations + it would look cool. Rockstar could have also at least put a little bit attention to the interior of plane like on the volatol, but that is not as important as the other things listed above. All in all I think it is a missed opportunity for a really cool vehicle that looks really cool and I would be happy if at least one or two of the things listed above would be implemented into the game. 

• Like 2
  • YEE 1
  • 3 weeks later...
HorseVillain

This might be obvious to the Grand majority of us, but because the Alkonost is the largest plane in the game, and because of the way it stays mostly together when it explodes, you can abandon it in certain parts of the map like Davis, Mirror Park and Pillbox Hill (in and around down town). If you keep your eyes on the plane, it will stay in the map, and you can stand on top of the back tail or the wings in the various silly positions that it lands in. You can literally augment the map, especially if you have multiple people in the lobby who also have an alkonost who are doing the same thing. Because it's already exploded and because it's so huge, it acts like a new building. It's practically like plopping a strange twisted metal building in the middle of wherever you want. As long as other players keep their eyes on it, it won't disappear, and stays as a fixture as long as it is observed. Because of behaves like a building it can't be moved with the up and atomizer, or with bombs. For this reason it can also be used as cover, high ground, and even an easy access route to things like parking structures if landed correctly. The exciting thing about this is that it is one of the bigger sandbox elements added to the game. We can now trash these planes wherever we want, watch the cool explosion, and enjoy the aftermath by exploring with friends or trolling people, whatever you want...

Side note, I've tried this with the Volatol and the Bambooska, and not only is it not as awesome because they are not nearly as big, but they also blow up differently, and they fragment into a bunch of pieces that aren't easily traversable like the alkonost. If you want to have The high ground like Obi-Wan Kenobi troll a war zone lobby, or just build cool new map mods with your friends, the alkonost is the way to go!

• Like 2
Gaffa

The plane was such a letdown for me. I would've liked it to be more based off the B1 Lancer rather than the TU-160, but it's not like that makes any difference considering Rockstar's decisions with this thing... Some of my issues and suggestions echo what the OP has already stated, but here's my thoughts:-

1. The thrust is too high. Rockstar needs to experiment more with lower drag values and lower thrust "falloff" values, whilst keeping the thrust value itself relatively low. This allows for a slow accelerating but potentially high top speed aircraft, which kinda fits large bomber aircraft. Sure, the TU-160 can move at some impressive speeds, but it shouldn't really get there quite as quickly as a P996 Lazer... 

2. Flight physics are dodgy. Get the aircraft up to a decent speed (preferably over 900 ft ASL), particularly in a bit of a nose-down dive, and then do a 90 degree banked turn with full back elevator, and watch how the thing almost flips the air over to the other side of the aircraft as it defies physics. 
    Okay... these sort of dodgy flight physics can be replicated in the P996 Lazer and Pyro and several others, but when it's such a large aircraft it's just a bit TOO noticeable. 

3. On the subject of physics - ever tried to taxi this thing on the ground? It just doesn't turn "properly" - it seems to suffer from the same problem as the P-45 Nokota, where the tail wheel doesn't turn with the rudder, so results in some really dodgy ground handling physics. 
    It's quite possible to "stoppie" this plane to a halt by landing it and then pushing forward on the stick (elevator) whilst holding the brake. 
    It's also easy to reverse this at high speed and then flip the stick forwards or whatever it is, to 

4. Cargo ramp was used for the Cayo Perico heist... such a terrible decision. They should've modelled the cockpit and crew area like the real thing, or slightly changed the current Volatol's crew area, getting rid of the computers (which are used for the gun turrets on the Volatol) and just have a simplistic "face each other" setup or whatever. 
    Even though there is a cargo area in the back, attempting to access it is essentially impossible because Rockstar are obsessed with putting invisible barriers in the way to prevent these spaces actually being used. 

5. Bomb capacity. 50 is stupid; cargo area is irrelevant. This is a long range, high speed, strategic nuclear bomber. Well it's supposed to be - but the "Large" Volatol has a 100 bomb capacity but the "Extra Large" RO-86 Alkonost only stores 50. 
    I wouldn't even mind that decision if the plane could drop bombs without any delay (instead of just 5, holding the bomb drop button drops bombs continuously until the button is released) - or just kept it simple and used the same system as what's in the Doomsday Scenario Air Defences mission - where the Volatol can drop 10 bombs at once instead of 5. 

6. The aircraft has been physically modelled to look like the wings operate like the real life counterpart - being variable geometry, they have at least 2 positions - forward like we get in the game, and "swept back" for higher speed flight. Unfortunately there's no "swing-wing" operation in the game. 
    Thinking about it from a logical standpoint, perhaps Rockstar intended the wings to move, but wanted it to be controllable by the pilot / whatever by pressing some button or holding it down - but then realised that pretty much all the buttons are already used. 
    So why then didn't they just make it like the active spoilers on cars, which pop up out of the vehicle once you surpass a certain speed? They could've made this thing have the wings normal in their forward position for any flying below 130mph or whatever, and then anything over that and put the wings in the "swept back" position. 

7. Lack of proper animation for getting in and out of the aircraft whilst it's on the ground. The entrance animation works during the heist prep mission, but that's the only time it works. 
    On the note of animations... the TU-160 has four ejector seats for the four crew it carries, so why does the player model jump out of the plane through the door as usual during flight, rather than ejecting out? Probably a limitation of the animations or how the game's made up currently, but it's another unfortunate thing.

8. Spawn locations could perhaps do with a rework. This isn't a "large" plane, Rockstar, it's an "Extra Large" and some accommodation is required for this factor. 

9. Why is it that other aircraft COULD physically fit in the hangar, whilst the RO-86 Alkonost is on the Hangar Floor, but that's not currently possible? You could easily fit a couple of aircraft near the main Hangar door just to the front-right of the plane, but alas that's not possible. 

10. Stealth mode is a nice idea but an unfortunate introduction when considering that a) there's no bombing reticle or aiming marker or anything and, b) high altitude bombing doesn't really work due to how the bomb models de-spawn from the game world, or end up dropping through the ground without exploding at all.

11. Needs more armour. It's an extra large, flying swan - easily targetable, easily found in the sky on radar or off... So a bit more resistance to explosives and gunfire would've been ideal. 

12. Missed opportunity with the ability to launch player-controller cruise missiles from the aircraft or alternatively, some very long range lock-on missile considering that the TU-160 would've often utilised some sort of long range cruise missile or something if it wasn't loaded with bombs. 
  • Like 4
Gridl0k

I was expecting more munitions too, in terms of cruise missiles or wotnot. Oh well.

I think Gaffa's 2 and 6 might be connected, if you tried to pull that sort of maneuvre in this airframe it would just snap the wings off and disintegrate, unless they were swept. The wings look like they should swing, the joins line up and everything, I'm hoping it's a bug. But not too hard.

• Like 2
flybar
16 hours ago, Gaffa said:

The plane was such a letdown for me. I would've liked it to be more based off the B1 Lancer rather than the TU-160, but it's not like that makes any difference considering Rockstar's decisions with this thing... Some of my issues and suggestions echo what the OP has already stated, but here's my thoughts:-

1. The thrust is too high. Rockstar needs to experiment more with lower drag values and lower thrust "falloff" values, whilst keeping the thrust value itself relatively low. This allows for a slow accelerating but potentially high top speed aircraft, which kinda fits large bomber aircraft. Sure, the TU-160 can move at some impressive speeds, but it shouldn't really get there quite as quickly as a P996 Lazer... 

2. Flight physics are dodgy. Get the aircraft up to a decent speed (preferably over 900 ft ASL), particularly in a bit of a nose-down dive, and then do a 90 degree banked turn with full back elevator, and watch how the thing almost flips the air over to the other side of the aircraft as it defies physics. 
    Okay... these sort of dodgy flight physics can be replicated in the P996 Lazer and Pyro and several others, but when it's such a large aircraft it's just a bit TOO noticeable. 

3. On the subject of physics - ever tried to taxi this thing on the ground? It just doesn't turn "properly" - it seems to suffer from the same problem as the P-45 Nokota, where the tail wheel doesn't turn with the rudder, so results in some really dodgy ground handling physics. 
    It's quite possible to "stoppie" this plane to a halt by landing it and then pushing forward on the stick (elevator) whilst holding the brake. 
    It's also easy to reverse this at high speed and then flip the stick forwards or whatever it is, to 

4. Cargo ramp was used for the Cayo Perico heist... such a terrible decision. They should've modelled the cockpit and crew area like the real thing, or slightly changed the current Volatol's crew area, getting rid of the computers (which are used for the gun turrets on the Volatol) and just have a simplistic "face each other" setup or whatever. 
    Even though there is a cargo area in the back, attempting to access it is essentially impossible because Rockstar are obsessed with putting invisible barriers in the way to prevent these spaces actually being used. 

5. Bomb capacity. 50 is stupid; cargo area is irrelevant. This is a long range, high speed, strategic nuclear bomber. Well it's supposed to be - but the "Large" Volatol has a 100 bomb capacity but the "Extra Large" RO-86 Alkonost only stores 50. 
    I wouldn't even mind that decision if the plane could drop bombs without any delay (instead of just 5, holding the bomb drop button drops bombs continuously until the button is released) - or just kept it simple and used the same system as what's in the Doomsday Scenario Air Defences mission - where the Volatol can drop 10 bombs at once instead of 5. 

6. The aircraft has been physically modelled to look like the wings operate like the real life counterpart - being variable geometry, they have at least 2 positions - forward like we get in the game, and "swept back" for higher speed flight. Unfortunately there's no "swing-wing" operation in the game. 
    Thinking about it from a logical standpoint, perhaps Rockstar intended the wings to move, but wanted it to be controllable by the pilot / whatever by pressing some button or holding it down - but then realised that pretty much all the buttons are already used. 
    So why then didn't they just make it like the active spoilers on cars, which pop up out of the vehicle once you surpass a certain speed? They could've made this thing have the wings normal in their forward position for any flying below 130mph or whatever, and then anything over that and put the wings in the "swept back" position. 

7. Lack of proper animation for getting in and out of the aircraft whilst it's on the ground. The entrance animation works during the heist prep mission, but that's the only time it works. 
    On the note of animations... the TU-160 has four ejector seats for the four crew it carries, so why does the player model jump out of the plane through the door as usual during flight, rather than ejecting out? Probably a limitation of the animations or how the game's made up currently, but it's another unfortunate thing.

8. Spawn locations could perhaps do with a rework. This isn't a "large" plane, Rockstar, it's an "Extra Large" and some accommodation is required for this factor. 

9. Why is it that other aircraft COULD physically fit in the hangar, whilst the RO-86 Alkonost is on the Hangar Floor, but that's not currently possible? You could easily fit a couple of aircraft near the main Hangar door just to the front-right of the plane, but alas that's not possible. 

10. Stealth mode is a nice idea but an unfortunate introduction when considering that a) there's no bombing reticle or aiming marker or anything and, b) high altitude bombing doesn't really work due to how the bomb models de-spawn from the game world, or end up dropping through the ground without exploding at all.

11. Needs more armour. It's an extra large, flying swan - easily targetable, easily found in the sky on radar or off... So a bit more resistance to explosives and gunfire would've been ideal. 

12. Missed opportunity with the ability to launch player-controller cruise missiles from the aircraft or alternatively, some very long range lock-on missile considering that the TU-160 would've often utilised some sort of long range cruise missile or something if it wasn't loaded with bombs. 

Well summarized, I hope Rockstar will read it and rework Alkonost, it such a promising plane executed poorly. Maybe also it would have been a good idea to introduce additional aircraft storage with Alkonost.

• Like 3
Gridl0k

Adding, an Osprey is 17m long. A tu-160 is 54m. In terms of what it should contain, or do.

• Like 2
NULL AND VOID

After several hundred purchases the Alkonost became the first thing I actually want a refund for. And then Rockstar slaps me in the face again by discounting the thing just 2 or 3 weeks after they release it? 

This bomber plane is something else 😆

RyuNova

Immune to lock-on while in Stealth including the Orbital Cannon
Buffed armour
The Starlings boost that sweeps the wings back. (Don't bullsh*t me that the game cannot handle faster speeds, glitched vehicles have been breaking the speed barrier for years and nothing happened)
"Smart Bombs" which are just the Kosatka's Guided Missiles fired down

That's what a four million GTADollar plane should be. This would shake up the games meta very well but R* won't.

Edited by RyuNova
  • Like 1
cybapete

if it costs more than the avenger and takes up AN ENTIRE HANGER it should do way more than the avenger but it does way less

no missiles is a huge downer but the real dealbreaker for me is this massive plane can only carry 50 bombs??

how many bombs can the (thimble sized by comparison) akula carry i tried to look it up but couldn't find anything is it limitless?

Banshstar
1 hour ago, cybapete said:

if it costs more than the avenger and takes up AN ENTIRE HANGER it should do way more than the avenger but it does way less

no missiles is a huge downer but the real dealbreaker for me is this massive plane can only carry 50 bombs??

how many bombs can the (thimble sized by comparison) akula carry i tried to look it up but couldn't find anything is it limitless?

All vehicles with bombs carry 50 bombs or 100 bombs. The alkonost has the same bomb capacity as the tiny starling at 50 bombs. It should be given 100 as it is a pure bomber and its huge. I think we will see a change in the future. 

OzakiLeona

All big planes are crap for some reason. I certainly don't expect they will change anything about them though. Keep dreaming.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1
Hazzardtohimself
3 hours ago, Banshstar said:

The alkonost has the same bomb capacity as the tiny starling at 50 bombs. It should be given 100 as it is a pure bomber and its huge. I think we will see a change in the future. 

The issue with most bombers is the effective range of their bombs, and with the Alkonost that raises a bigger issue. 

Ignoring the impossibility of accurately dropping bombs on a target without a suitable dynamic targeting reticule (which is a whole other complaint!), if an aircraft is flying 'too high' then many of its bombs won't reach the ground - instead they will fall through without collision and de-spawn. This means that bombers... be they nimble Starlings or Rogues, or whacking behemoths like the Bombushka or Volatol... have to fly low to the ground for the greatest chance of landing their ordinance. 

The bigger issue with the Alkonost is its stealth gimmick ability. You have to fly above a certain altitude to enable its laughably limited off-radar capability. And that altitude, you've guessed it... is too high for bombing (unless you're taking out targets on mountains or skyscrapers). Even with unlimited bombs, unless you dip far below the 'stealth height', you won't be able to destroy targets without the bombs vanishing off to Narnia. 

Like @OzakiLeona said, I don't imagine we'll see a change with the Alkonost's capacity (be that quantity or type of bomb - a shame, as an aircraft of this size deserves better). Maybe in the dim and distant future, or with the 'Expanded & Enhanced' version, Rockstar might tweak the bombs so they don't de-spawn... but I'd be surprised. 

• Like 1
cybapete
14 hours ago, Banshstar said:

The alkonost has the same bomb capacity as the tiny starling at 50 bombs. It should be given 100 as it is a pure bomber and its huge. 

give it 1000 bombs it has the space for them

• Like 1
Gridl0k

It could drop 50 starlings which could drop 50 bombs each.

• KEKW 1
Black-Dragon96

Yeah it needs a significant buff. Or better a complete rework/remake from scratch.

Its seriously like every big bomber they added has been worse than the previous one.

The bombushka was slow but it had the option to fit explo turrets. As long as no mk2s or explo snipers are around a fully manned one is a pretty decent gunship imo. The bomb capacity was however not that great. 

The volatol was faster and had more bombs but it only had the regular machineguns wich were about as usefull as babyteeth but still better than nothing. Thing is it was an even bigger target than the bombushka.

And now the alkonost.

No guns, laughable armor, laughable bombcapacity, no countermeasures as far as I am aware and a stealth mode that only works at an altitude that you cant really use the bombs on.

That thing does not even have the babyteeth the volatol has. Its a toothless granny in a wheelchair with no arms and legs who will die the second a light wind touches her.

Unlike the stealth annihilator that is at least usefull to transport people or fly your happy arse around the map undetect (even if the guns it has are babyteeth), this thing is completly useless. Depending on the spawnlocation you cant even get it of the ground.

Edited by Black-Dragon96
  • Like 3
Cutter De Blanc

Seems like the Avenger pretty much outclasses this in every way except speed?

It looks pretty on the website, maybe I'll try doing the prep for it if you get to fly it

Snipingsolo
9 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

It looks pretty on the website, maybe I'll try doing the prep for it if you get to fly it

You do not get to fly it to Cayo perico your pilot does the prep is a 2 part even doing it the trade price is still expensive 

Edited by Snipingsolo
Gaffa
19 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Yeah doing the prep for it, you get to fly it to the LSIA Hangar but that's all. 

The Avenger is definitely better for sure and actually because you can use the VTOL - abuse trick, that can actually be a fair bit faster than the Alkonost. 

• Like 2
RyuNova

I still think that this should have had the Guided Missiles from Sub as "Smart Bombs". Just have them fire down, the plane go into Autopilot or if the passenger fires them then the pilot can still fly the plane.

Imagine being able to actually long range strategically bomb a target while you fly above the clouds OTR.

• Like 1