3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Pavel Appreciation Thread

White Shark

I guess Im alone because imo he talks too much.  Very annoying.  R* shouldve done a better job at trimming his dialog once we heard it.  Most of it we dont need to hear again.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, BumpyJohnson said:

I guess Im alone because imo he talks too much.  Very annoying.  R* shouldve done a better job at trimming his dialog once we heard it.  Most of it we dont need to hear again.

Understandable that a guy who lives alone in a submarine gets a little talkative once he has company.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
5 hours ago, BumpyJohnson said:

This is the same with all the NPCs. They all repeat the same dialogue over and over when repeating their heists or missions. So that's nothing new.

Paval is 100% less annoying.

Buddy Hightower

I guess I'm in the minority. I think he is annoying as f*ck! I find Lester to be annoying too.

I have no idea why we need either of them. 

• Like 2
On 12/27/2020 at 3:56 PM, SummerFreeze said:

Pavel is a good NPC but I also don't understand why Lester is so hated. Is it because so many gamers see themselves in Lester --fat, balding, socially awkward-- and hate that the game puts up this mirror to them?

lol Could very well be. 🤣

I personally really like Lester. He is just the right combination of annoying, elitism, on the spectrum, intellectual snob, and brilliant geek. Reminds me of a Big Bang character with a criminal edge.

On topic, I really like Pavel, though. He may in fact be my favorite side character offered up in GTAO to date. I love how he is a criminal at heart, but has that good-natured Russian personality and Slavic charm, but the more laid back kind of Russian, not that stereotypical crazy, NY Russian gangster types. For my tastes, he is definitely the most likeable of the side characters. I like how he tells stories, offers insights, reacts appropriately to things we do, like bringing my Phantom Wedge to the Longfin Prep mission.

Edited by ChiroVette
17 hours ago, White Shark said:

This is the same with all the NPCs. They all repeat the same dialogue over and over when repeating their heists or missions. So that's nothing new.

Paval is 100% less annoying.

He "talks too much" is not the same as "he keeps repeating himself".  I think he says waaay more than he needs to.  Repeated dialog just makes it worse.  You like hearing him talk?  Cool but he is annoying to me.

Edited by BumpyJohnson
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BumpyJohnson said:

He "talks too much" is not the same as "he keeps repeating himself".  I think he says waaay more than he needs to.  Repeated dialog just makes it worse.  You like hearing him talk?  Cool but he is annoying to me.

Lol LJT must make you want to gouge your brains out with a wooden spoon then. 

Edited by White Shark
  • Like 1

Pavel is actually written with awareness that he may be repeating himself, but he comments on repetitive tasks with different lines. That's a good job from Rockstar.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Gridl0k said:

Is it racist to say I'm disappointed I haven't seen him squatting somewhere?

It's not racist, but not really discriminatory, either.

1 hour ago, Gridl0k said:

Is it racist to say I'm disappointed I haven't seen him squatting somewhere?

It does amuse me to see the number of people that post pictures of him smoking in the munitions room and make a bog show about how dangerous it is. As people have said, you could smash them with a sledgehammer and nothing will happen if they are not primed.

I did find it interesting that they make him spawn in different places when you enter your sub instead of being static like all the other NPC's. I think he stays on the bridge if you are on a Prep mission which is good attention to detail.

• Like 2
Merlin851626
On 1/4/2021 at 4:54 PM, BumpyJohnson said:

Couldn't agree more. I want to scream every time I hear his voice. Droning on and on🤬🤬

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

It does amuse me to see the number of people that post pictures of him smoking in the munitions room and make a bog show about how dangerous it is. As people have said, you could smash them with a sledgehammer and nothing will happen if they are not primed.

Were these people aware of the kursk tho

the official story, anyway

Edited by Gridl0k
oleg_aka_djmeg

Did you know that he's the caviar in the tin, which is why his late 20s were a turbulent time? God rest his soul. So! Clothes are in back of plane, you'll know them and they will know you are not one of them.

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1

Anybody want to take a guess why Pavel has an American special forces patch tattooed on his arm?

qIP9YP8.png

Specifically, the same unit insignia that Trevor has hanging on his wall.

orYysj8.jpg

Either Rockstar got lazy, or there is far more backstory here than what appears.

touchedmysoul09

I do like Pavel and his lines are funny, but I kind of miss Bogdan. Pavel feels like a 2.0 version of him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pavel is annoying AF and he's a cowardly wino slob.   If you don't think he's annoying then you haven't run Cayo Perico back to back to back like some other ppl have.  I'm telling you, the 100th time you run it and Pavel says some dumb Sh*t again like needing the right tool for the display case bc the wrong tool will destroy the treasure and he'll do some research, it's really annoying. You'll want to slap that stupid wino and ask him if he really doesn't remember telling you about him overheating a freezing plasma torch like 50 times or cutting into an undersea pipeline with one or the story about his uncle losing more than a finger due to a slip with one. Then you go to the safehouse and Pavel says 'I got a tip of where their safehouse is'  then when they're not there he says 'must be pulling a the heist ahead of schedule.'  He goes from only knowing where the safehouse is to knowing their heist schedule and knowing that if they're not in the safehouse then they MUST be pulling the heist, but he doesn't know where it is??  It doesn't make sense.  None of Pavel's bullsh*t makes sense if you think about it and you will if you run Cayo Perico enough. 

I'm so tired of hearing him talk about how scared he is of Mr Rubio and telling me why we need to destroy all of our equipment. He sucks. Not to mention the voice acting is cartoonishly bad and the actor didn't know how to deliver a lot of the lines.  "Police?  Forgot about them ... best to lose them .. I think?"  what???  You don't know?  He phrased it as a question rather than a suggestion.  Pavel should be saying 'Best to lose them, I think' like he's saying 'Bro, I think you should lose the cops.'  Fine, noted, Pavel, thanks for the genius suggestion, but no, he phrases it like Pavel is saying 'I think you should lose the cops?  I mean, idk, maybe it's better if you let them shoot you and impound your car.'  It's seriously awful.  I could go on for hours about it bc I've listened to that garbage voice acting over and over and over for days on end.  It's rough as hell.  'I am only the grease in the wheel, the elastic in the underwear, the caviar in the tin."  Grease and wheel, ok, but the underwear and the caviar tin are literally garbage without the elastic and the caviar.  Doesn't make sense.  His writing is as sloppy and lazy as his voice acting, which is as sloppy and lazy as the character himself.  Very poorly done and there is no excuse that it's not skippable dialogue in 2021.  Also no excuse that he acknowledges the many times we've done the heist sometimes and most of the time he acts like it's our first time.

If you think he's not annoying, try grinding that heist for a while and see what you think then.

Edited by Creepyb4by
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Creepyb4by said:

Pavel is annoying AF and he's a cowardly wino slob.   If you don't think he's annoying then you haven't run Cayo Perico back to back to back like some other ppl have.  I'm telling you, the 100th time you run it and Pavel says some dumb Sh*t again like needing the right tool for the display case bc the wrong tool will destroy the treasure and he'll do some research, it's really annoying. You'll want to slap that stupid wino and ask him if he really doesn't remember telling you about him overheating a freezing plasma torch like 50 times or cutting into an undersea pipeline with one or the story about his uncle losing more than a finger due to a slip with one. Then you go to the safehouse and Pavel says 'I got a tip of where their safehouse is'  then when they're not there he says 'must be pulling a the heist ahead of schedule.'  He goes from only knowing where the safehouse is to knowing their heist schedule and knowing that if they're not in the safehouse then they MUST be pulling the heist, but he doesn't know where it is??  It doesn't make sense.  None of Pavel's bullsh*t makes sense if you think about it and you will if you run Cayo Perico enough. 

I'm so tired of hearing him talk about how scared he is of Mr Rubio and telling me why we need to destroy all of our equipment. He sucks. Not to mention the voice acting is cartoonishly bad and the actor didn't know how to deliver a lot of the lines.  "Police?  Forgot about them ... best to lose them .. I think?"  what???  You don't know?  He phrased it as a question rather than a suggestion.  Pavel should be saying 'Best to lose them, I think' like he's saying 'Bro, I think you should lose the cops.'  Fine, noted, Pavel, thanks for the genius suggestion, but no, he phrases it like Pavel is saying 'I think you should lose the cops?  I mean, idk, maybe it's better if you let them shoot you and impound your car.'  It's seriously awful.  I could go on for hours about it bc I've listened to that garbage voice acting over and over and over for days on end.  It's rough as hell.  'I am only the grease in the wheel, the elastic in the underwear, the caviar in the tin."  Grease and wheel, ok, but the underwear and the caviar tin are literally garbage without the elastic and the caviar.  Doesn't make sense.  His writing is as sloppy and lazy as his voice acting, which is as sloppy and lazy as the character himself.  Very poorly done and there is no excuse that it's not skippable dialogue in 2021.  Also no excuse that he acknowledges the many times we've done the heist sometimes and most of the time he acts like it's our first time.

If you think he's not annoying, try grinding that heist for a while and see what you think then.

For a character that is bound to have a lot of interaction with the player, Pavel is actually decently written on Rockstar standards. His lines are aware that he is doing the heist for a x-th time, he is actually encouraging the player and is actually being nice to us, even if we fail. (on purpose, because Merryweather mission suck)

Yes, he is a chatterbox and his isolation inside the sub is the reason for this. He is actually a really relatable character to many of us that spend a lot of time in isolation.
He's locked inside his boat.

We're locked inside our apartments.

If you think, Pavel is annoying, imagine Lester would be our host. His constant hysteric screeching would make you want to smash the TV or the monitor.

But, as you said, you grinded the heist a lot. Understandable, if you're becoming unnerved by his repeating phrases.

Pavel can't do anything about that, it's his rigid programming.

And even so, he still suggest you some other fun, like shooting some Oppressors, if you're tired from heisting.

As for me, Pavel is still being one of the most nicest characters in GTA and i'm thankful for that.

• Like 1

^His lines are not annoying themselves, but when you are waiting for over a minute by the laptop while he's still explaining about security cameras outside, that's off. R* did poor job designing some checkpoints..

Yeah, to be fair, Pavel would be less annoying to me if I could skip his lines.  I've heard them too many times.  However, I blame Rockstar.  They know ppl like me will grind this heist and they encourage it by making it +50% payout all week last week and the Kosatka was on 25% discount for two weeks in a row.  If they didn't force his crappy dialogue down my throat then I wouldn't have to look in depth at the shallow character they created and be annoyed by all the flaws that are clearly visible.  They could have just made it better instead of spending the money and not putting the work into the voice acting, writing or character creation, but they didn't.  They did a mediocre job and then they forced me to listen to it over and over and over every single time I ran that heist.  Now I hate Pavel.

My unpopular opinion: I think Pavel is overrated. I mainly liked him because he was fresh and different than most well known characters, but the novelty has worn off.

The more I hear Pavel repeating the same lines, the less annoying I find Lester during the other heists.

Edited by AirWolf359
  • Like 2
  • KEKW 1
On 12/27/2020 at 4:47 AM, White Shark said:

I love this guy.  Not just because he's a bad ass Russian, but for the first time, he's a really great NPC companion.

Never rude.

ACTUALLY is helpful.

Takes a tiny percentage cut from the heists.

Always jovial and amusing.

Not annoying.

Encourages the hunting of MKII losers.

Calls you Kapitan and respects you.

Eats beans from a massive cooking pot.

Gives no fs when smoking in the Torpedo bay.

We salute you, Pavel!

Grand-Theft-Auto-V-2.png

Grand-Theft-Auto-V-3.png

Grand-Theft-Auto-V-5.png

Grand-Theft-Auto-V-7.png

You are russian of course you do:kekw:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...