4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Small heads-up about the banner-footer

suicidal_banana

suicidal_banana

Just a little heads-up, there's a small flaw in the CSS for the new footer, while the reactions html element ( .ipsReact ) has a z-index of 1900 defined in the stylesheet, the banner-footer ( the actual 'vm-footer' div, this is in a style tag and not in the CSS file ) has a z-index of only 998.

Result of that is the below, the reactions html elements go OVER the banner-footer, and banner-folk tend to not appreciate if there's possibility for content to cover their ad (and on some tablet resolutions etc, there is)

6dLZTef.png

To fix this easily and quickly, add this somewhere near the bottom of the stylesheet:

.vm-footer {
  z-index: 1901 !important;
}

Better fix would be to change whatever code is setting the actual style tag, but above should work just fine.

Edited by suicidal_banana
typo
Spider-Vice

We know about this, but unfortunately I don't think we can change the ads CSS without the ad network's permission, so we'll have to consult first. Cheers.

• Like 1
suicidal_banana

Fair enough, they might somehow take offense if you do that, alternatively just set the .ipsReact thing z-index to 997 then, seems to not cause any further depth-fighting 👍

Spider-Vice

Yup, that sounds like a plan, fixed. Also fixed the left-hand-side menu being on top of the ad footer.

• Like 1
Jimbatron
On 12/25/2020 at 11:31 PM, Spider-Vice said:

Yup, that sounds like a plan, fixed. Also fixed the left-hand-side menu being on top of the ad footer.

I realise this is going to sound like a whinge, but bear with me. The performance of this site has gone to absolute 5h1t on iOS, I'm assuming since/as of result of these ad banners being introduced. It's literally beyond awful. Takes ages to load (it's like being back on dial up, and that's not an exaggeration), web pages crashing, lagging when typing, virtually impossible to quote anyone. Not sure if staff are aware, but I think it will really damage the ability of the site to attract new members. Don't get me wrong, I've been around for over 10 years, not planning to clear off in a huff, because I get so much useful information and good conversation. If it had been this bad when I first found the site I might never have stayed long enough to find out. So thought I'd point it out in case the staff aren't aware, I'd really recommend looking into a fix for it.

Just to be clear

1) It's not a problem with the connection at my end, it's totally fine on the PC, on the same wi-fi as my tablet and smart phone.

2) It's not a browser issue. Chrome and Safari have the same problem.

3) It's not a device issue, as above the same problem is there on smart phone and tablet. It's the web version of the site.

Edited by Jimbatron
  • Like 1
Spider-Vice

We've been desperately trying to debug this with no success. We think it's caused by code from our ad provider, but iOS and OS X seem to be the only OS's with these issues. We have a staff member on Big Sur that had similar issues, but another one on Catalina didn't. Another staff member on an even older version of OS X also had no issues.

We have a staff member on an iPhone 12, he has no issues either. Yet... some members like you and that other staff member do. We're at a loss atm, sorry for any inconvenience. :/ 

Edit: That said, what version of iOS are you using?

Edited by Spider-Vice
Flachbau

I’m running iOS 14.2.1 on an iPhone 12 Pro and I concur with everything Jimbatron has said.

Jimbatron
21 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

We've been desperately trying to debug this with no success. We think it's caused by code from our ad provider, but iOS and OS X seem to be the only OS's with these issues. We have a staff member on Big Sur that had similar issues, but another one on Catalina didn't. Another staff member on an even older version of OS X also had no issues.

We have a staff member on an iPhone 12, he has no issues either. Yet... some members like you and that other staff member do. We're at a loss atm, sorry for any inconvenience. :/ 

Edit: That said, what version of iOS are you using?

I’m on 14.2

good to know you are aware and looking into it.

ps as hinted above it’s not really inconveniencing me, I can use the computer. My bigger concern is it’d put new users off the site completely

Edited by Jimbatron