3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

PC/PvE: Looking for large active group of older players (40+) to posse with

zPhoenix

I am a pretty active, playing RDO for relaxation.  I am fine doing it solo, or on the rare occasions when I play with my son's posse, but I'd like a relaxed group of like-minded players to hang with as a posse.

Of course, with the active schedules that we often have, it is only possible to find a running posse "at any time" if the RDO group if fairly large. I am assuming the group would be using Discord, but any other equivalent voice tool is fine (I will install it if I don't already have it).

Is there a group like this already?

3 minutes ago, zPhoenix said:

I am a pretty active, playing RDO for relaxation.  I am fine doing it solo, or on the rare occasions when I play with my son's posse, but I'd like a relaxed group of like-minded players to hang with as a posse.

Of course, with the active schedules that we often have, it is only possible to find a running posse "at any time" if the RDO group if fairly large. I am assuming the group would be using Discord, but any other equivalent voice tool is fine (I will install it if I don't already have it).

Check your mail. I sent you something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I'm not ready as of yet to join up, but I will be very soon, and am bringing three people with me. My wife, daughter and myself will ALL be online within the next week or so. We have all been playing on my PC for the last month or so, lol. We are currently upgrading two pcs in my house so we can all play online together. I'm actually downloading the game on my daughter's pc as I type this. 

All three of us LOVE the single player mode, and want to enjoy this world with our own character, and together next. So we will be noobs to online, but we know how to play the game. 

I've heard some horror stories from people on youtube (griefing on pc), so I'm hoping there is strength in numbers. We are all peaceful players (although my daughter and I enjoy a good shoot out), so we are interested in other like minded players on pc. 

Edited by Iron Mikey

1 hour ago, Iron Mikey said:

Hello, 

I'm not ready as of yet to join up, but I will be very soon, and am bringing three people with me. My wife, daughter and myself will ALL be online within the next week or so. We have all been playing on my PC for the last month or so, lol. We are currently upgrading two pcs in my house so we can all play online together. I'm actually downloading the game on my daughter's pc as I type this. 

All three of us LOVE the single player mode, and want to enjoy this world with our own character, and together next. So we will be noobs to online, but we know how to play the game. 

I've heard some horror stories from people on youtube (briefing on pc), so I'm hoping there is strength in numbers. We are all peaceful players (although my daughter and I enjoy a good shoot out), so we are interested in other like minded players on pc. 

I joined a posse with so many members they had 9 sub posses when I was rank 11 back when I played on PS4. I learned a lot from them. The good thing was the posse members were from all around the world so there were at least 2 posses active at any given time. I was grateful they accepted me even at the low rank.

My experience was that even with 7 members active, being the low rank I was the target. I had people actually ride up and kill me when I was standing there among the other members. The good thing was the other 6 members made quick work of them. Players assume noobs don't know how to play and definitely don't have all the advantages of better weapons that players who have been around a while have. Some noobs are pretty darn good even with the worse weapons though. The posse I was in taught me some tricks and strategies.

On PC low ranks can mean something else as well. They could be people who were banned because of modding who came back after the first ban, that's for a month I think if it hasn't changed, and have to restart their character since they got stripped of everything they "accomplished" before the ban. Others may have just created new accounts. To be honest, when I play I am more concerned about the low ranks than the high ones. Every time I've had to deal with a modder in the past 5 months there were no players that had reached rank 100 on that server.

As far as non-modder griefers, I've had very few run ins with them on PC. If I had to put a ratio on it I'd say my ratio of modders to griefers is about 10-1 but I don't run into too many modders as long as I don't play too much during the hours that the primary modders tend to be on. They are the ones in Russia and China so they are from 9-12 hours ahead of me.

I can't speak for Xbox or PS players but on PC low ranks don't necessarily equal noob.

Generally speaking though there is more safety in numbers.

Edited by StyxTx

29 minutes ago, StyxTx said:

I joined a posse with so many members they had 9 sub posses when I was rank 11 back when I played on PS4. I learned a lot from them. The good thing was the posse members were from all around the world so there were at least 2 posses active at any given time. I was grateful they accepted me even at the low rank.

My experience was that even with 7 members active, being the low rank I was the target. I had people actually ride up and kill me when I was standing there among the other members. The good thing was the other 6 members made quick work of them. Players assume noobs don't know how to play and definitely don't have all the advantages of better weapons that players who have been around a while have. Some noobs are pretty darn good even with the worse weapons though. The posse I was in taught me some tricks and strategies.

On PC low ranks can mean something else as well. They could be people who were banned because of modding who came back after the first ban, that's for a month I think if it hasn't changed, and have to restart their character since they got stripped of everything they "accomplished" before the ban. Others may have just created new accounts. To be honest, when I play I am more concerned about the low ranks than the high ones. Every time I've had to deal with a modder in the past 5 months there were no players that had reached rank 100 on that server.

As far as non-modder griefers, I've had very few run ins with them on PC. If I had to put a ratio on it I'd say my ratio of modders to griefers is about 10-1 but I don't run into too many modders as long as I don't play too much during the hours that the primary modders tend to be on. They are the ones in Russia and China so they are from 9-12 hours ahead of me.

I can't speak for Xbox or PS players but on PC low ranks don't necessarily equal noob.

Generally speaking though there is more safety in numbers.

What kinds of things do the modders do? How do you get away/deal with them? How bad is it really? What hours are the worst (eastern standard time)?

PC online is not as horrible as it might sound.   You turn on defensive mode (and keep turning it on as there is a bug / design flaw that keeps throwing you back to offensive) and then the game is mostly (not perfectly) polite.

The main trick about online is gold and money management, especially starting out.   I will be happy to show you the best starting out tricks, and we have a Discord that we can use.   Send me a personal message so that I can give you the connection details.

I am away from computers but should be back by tomorrow (today) mid-afternoon EST.

8 hours ago, zPhoenix said:

PC online is not as horrible as it might sound.   You turn on defensive mode (and keep turning it on as there is a bug / design flaw that keeps throwing you back to offensive) and then the game is mostly (not perfectly) polite.

The main trick about online is gold and money management, especially starting out.   I will be happy to show you the best starting out tricks, and we have a Discord that we can use.   Send me a personal message so that I can give you the connection details.

I am away from computers but should be back by tomorrow (today) mid-afternoon EST.

I haven't been thrown out of defensive in quite a while unless I do some mission that throwms me out, but there has been a glitch in the past that did take you out at times so it may be glitched again.

Someone has given me a solo lobby things that I'm going to test. Anyone who has that file can join the same lobby. Let me test it first.

8 hours ago, Iron Mikey said:

What kinds of things do the modders do? How do you get away/deal with them? How bad is it really? What hours are the worst (eastern standard time)?

Modders can send everyone on a server to one location and blow them up or set them on fire. They can kill you and use another player's name to make it look like someone else did it. They can make themselves invincible so no matter what you do they don't get any damage. They can transport to one players location so they can attack them. They do that to me a lot and the reason I think is because I'm always the highest ranked player in the lobby so they target me.

There's quite a few things they can do. All you can do is change servers.

When PC first came out modders were running rampant. I couldn't play. Now they are more of an inconvenience since, contrary to what some players claim, R* has taken steps to combat them. They are not very common anymore.

Edited by StyxTx

2 hours ago, StyxTx said:

I haven't been thrown out of defensive in quite a while unless I do some mission that throwms me out, but there has been a glitch in the past that did take you out at times so it may be glitched again.

Someone has given me a solo lobby things that I'm going to test. Anyone who has that file can join the same lobby. Let me test it first.

A couple things seem to consistently throw me into Offensive after it is done:

- Starting a session.

- Running a stranger mission.

- I think that it also happens with distant deliveries but I am not certain.

2 hours ago, zPhoenix said:

A couple things seem to consistently throw me into Offensive after it is done:

- Starting a session.

- Running a stranger mission.

- I think that it also happens with distant deliveries but I am not certain.

Distant deliveries definitely put you in offensive. Some stranger missions do as well. If you leave a session in offensive you will come back on in offensive.

I tested the solo lobby for 3 hours today without a hitch. The person I got it from has been using it for months and months. I can't guarantee it will never result in a ban but I do know no one ever got banned for using solo lobby glitches/programs in the past. I really don't feel like playing alone anymore cuz I get bored. I have told a few friends of mine about it and I hope they'll come back. If you'd be interested in the file let me know and I'll send it to you along with instructions on where to put it.

So I have successfully gotten the game up and running on a second pc. I got the game running at average of 34 fps on a dell optiplex 7020 with an i5 4670, 16gb ram and a gt 1030. I had to put ALL the settings on low, but the game plays smooth. Looks like a Switch port of RD2 imo, lol. But I don't care, this was the cheapest way to get the three of us playing together (since the game doesn't have cross platform, which is lame in 2021). 

My main pc is a ryzen 7 2700, 16 GB ram, rx 580 and it runs the game like a champ, averages 59 fps. I plan on upgrading my gpu in the next year or so, and putting the rx 580 in my daughter's pc. 

My third pc is another dell optiplex that I'm putting another gt 1030 in (I'm still waiting for the additional ram i need to arrive). I'm actually going to play on this one, and let my wife play it on my rig. 

I'm just excited, to get the game running this smooth on a gpu below minimum specs is pretty sweet. Like I said, if they had cross play it would of been a lot simpliar, but I digress.

Edited by Iron Mikey

The only setting that needs to be up for pretty good graphics is texture. Set it on high or ultra. I have Tessellation set on high. The only other things I have set above low is the TAA (high) and water refraction and the other water setting (high), but the water physics is 2 notches above low. I do play with 2160 resolution though which in itself makes the graphics appear real good but makes for a serious strain on the card. If you use a smaller resolution like 1080 you should be able to set most to high or ultra.

I just noticed you said your GPU is below minimum specs so these settings may not be too good for you but no harm in testing, especially texture if nothing else.

Edited by StyxTx

• 5 months later...
On 12/22/2020 at 10:03 PM, zPhoenix said:

My id is lazers378 and looking for peaceful lobby :)