1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

If you were to have any TV/Movie director/writer to write and direct a story for GTA VI, who would it be?

RenegadeAngel

Ok, let's get dreamy for a little bit. I personally have two contenders.(4 in actuality)

1. The Coen brothers. Needless to say, one of the best screenwriters to ever live. Absolute experts in all sorts of crime genre. They've done it all from noir to mob movie to western to neo-noir and done it all right. Fargo is my personal favorite movie of all time. 

2. The Safdie brothers. These guys are relatively new and have only done two serious projects, but man, are those projects! Both Good Time and Uncut Gems are the most GTA-like movies I've ever seen. Subject matter, aesthetics, characters; all of that is very reminiscent of our favorite game series or, rather, of what I would personally like to see in it. Look at this beautiful scene and tell me it's not something you would love to see in a GTA game. It's amazing!

Very interested to see your suggestions. 

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1

S. Craig Zahler. He's a great writer and director, his movies have a violent, gritty style with a bit of humor. I'm sure he'd write a serious and down to earth GTA set in a dark/gritty modern day city.

Safdie Bros, Quentin Tarantino, Michael Mann, David Simon, and Vince Gilligan.

David Simon's work on The wire is amazing. This right here looks like it's straight out of a GTA mission the way the camera moves around and Prop Joe telling Marlo to steal a camera. David Simon will not only write you a good crime story but would also be able to capture all the issues that are facing the city, it's institutions, and the people living in it. He'd also pull off multiple protagonists way better than Rockstar ever could The wire didn't have a central main character and yet you got attached to a lot of the characters on the show. If they can't get him George Pelecanos was also a part of The Wire's writing staff and would be a great replacement.

This is pretty much the diamonds story from IV.

Edited by Zello

Jonathan Tropper and David Schickler, the guys behind Banshee. That show did an amazing job of taking action movie cliches/tropes, a border line ridiculous plot, and dialing them up to 11. Then grounding them with characters that have strong internal conflicts and complicated, emotionally driven motivation.

I feel like those guys would be right at home in the GTA universe. Hell, Banshee almost kinda feels like it already does take place in the GTA Univere's version of Pennsylvania Amish Country.

Richard Price (The Deuce, The Wire, The Night Of) comes in mind. And this comment section already listed almost every obvious candidate honestly.

29 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

Hell, Banshee almost kinda feels like it already does take place in the GTA Univere's version of Pennsylvania Amish Country.

Banshee was ridiculously good. I'm glad Antony Starr is getting more recognition for The Boys.

Tarantino because GTA already feels like it was written by Tarantino lol, the humour and the way the things happen suddenly and in an unpredictable way, for example this scene.

Apart from that, if it's a movie set in Liberty City, than I can't think anyone other than Scorsese.

For some reason this feels like it would fit right into a GTA movie lmao.

• Like 5
  • 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

They need to hire whoever wrote for the Onion.

Edited by Zello
The Tracker
On 12/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, Orthur The Boah said:

Tarantino because GTA already feels like it was written by Tarantino lol, the humour and the way the things happen suddenly and in an unpredictable way, for example this scene.

I would say Rockstar is basically the Tarantino of videogames, I get Tarantino vibes from Red Dead and Max Payne games as well as GTA.

• YEE 1
  • KEKW 1
4 hours ago, Zello said:

They need to hire whoever wrote for the Onion.

If R* gives Onion the freedom to do their in-game TV content, then it will be absolute perfection.

I have many on my mind,David Cronenberg would be my first choice,Coen Brothers would kill it as well.Brian De Palma and Micheal Mann would be the choices for 70's/80's satire.RIP Curtis Hanson,he would be the best choice.Roman Polanski is a great candidate.Don't forget about Micheal Cimino(RIP).John McTiernan would be one of the best for V type scenarios.Tim Van Patten would be great.Imagine Orson Welles was our times' director,he would kill it as well.William Friedkin would be a proper choice as well.Guy Ritchie/Safdie Brothers/Steven Soderbergh would be my modern time period choices.I would love a Fernando Meirelles GTA also.Sergio Leone/Coppola/Scorsese would be everyone's choice,there are so many great directors for GTA esque stories.Vince Gilligan would be great also.

• KEKW 1
Adrenalist

Great director list so far. Nailed quite a few I thought of before reading the text. 

I think it should be one mission per director. Each mission should be loosely, yet succinctly written, then each mission should be given one per to chosen directors. Each director then can add set pieces, props, tweak dialogues, clothing, etc. Once everything gets agreed upon, a date is set for filming. This would allow for different dynamics and influences we, nor R*, has immersed into the storyline experience for the GTA franchise. 

Giving Hideo a torture scene would be fantastic. 

Giving Jim Jarmusch a cultures in collision mission would be perfect. 

Mann a fight scene epic. 

Kevin Smith a character fleshing out scene, sublime. 

The list could go on... and on....

CynicalMexican

RL Stine.

Imagine what cool ass myths and legends we could get if he wrote for the game, or a Bully 2.

DownInThePMs
Posted (edited)

Other than obvious answers like the Coen brothers, Vince GIlligan, Michael Mann and Tarantino, I'd say either Nic Pizzolatto, the Safdie Brothers, John Singleton (RIP) or Jonathan Tropper.

Nic Pizza was the main writer for True Detective, which is a show that I highly recommend, and while the seasons did get progressively weaker I think his work can be easily translated into video games, and in doing so I'm confident he is able to convincingly bring GTA back to its darker roots in VI, especially in a potential Miami setting.

The Safdie Brothers have been making a lot of really good crime films lately, like Good Time and Uncut Gems, and they have a knack for writing tough guy type protagonists with lots of vulnerability, which honestly, fits right at home in a series like GTA.

John Singleton's repertoire is mostly in the crime action genres, and I think he could have been of the best candidates for lead writer in a potential GTA 6. He's written and directed cheesy films like 2 Fast 2 Furious and Shaft and has directed serious stuff like Boyz N The Hood and the Snowfall TV show, but I don't see why he can't do a crime drama/action story in Miami. In short, he would have been the perfect writer for GTA.

Jonathan Tropper is a little edgy, but I think his writing could fit in a GTA game as well. He's written shows like Banshee and Warrior and while I think his fight scenes are exceptionally well-directed and I find it cool that he explores lots of different crime factions and their relationships with one another as well as cast unlikely character archetypes as protagonists, he has a tendency to put a lot of meaningless sex scenes in his shows, which kinda puts me off. Otherwise, his stuff would be right at home in GTA.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1
Bloodytears1666
Posted (edited)
On 12/20/2020 at 2:59 AM, Zello said:

Quentin Tarantino

This guy should be there.

Guy Ritchie recent movies felt very weak, and I didn't heard anything good from Luc Besson for a while, but those were great back in the day.

Edited by Bloodytears1666
Posted (edited)

Michael Mann.

He is the director of crime drama films like Heat and Collateral, and I just recently discovered that he was an executive producer of the '80s Miami Vice TV series. The perfect man for the job.

Edited by Wolfman_
  • Best Bru 1
Isaac Netero

Michael Man who wrote and directed Heat (1995)

https://youtu.be/409IGgu-Utw

Rockstar got some heavy influences from this movie to their games.

He would write on hell of a game for sure.

• Like 2

I don't like the idea of people who come from a non-interactive medium trying to come into a medium where gameplay matters more than story.

Just seems like it's dooming the game to have more of what made GTA5 intolerable for me: Too much time being spent watching people complain and be miserable about things with no way to kick their asses for being obnoxious.

As much as I like Tarantino (for, heh, reasons), #1 I can't trust him anymore considering how deep he's worked with Mr. Weinstein over the years (because Hollywood is such a lovely place filled with the best and brightest of American society) ... but more relevant, #2, he's a filmmaker, not a game designer. It's pretty much like carpentry versus metal work. They're both very similar professions in some respects. They both require using layouts and dimensions to make precise cuts in order to construct things with those materials; but despite being closely related, a carpenter isn't a metal worker the same way a metal worker is no carpenter. It's two related but totally different kinds of work, and requires familiarity with the caveats, "tricks of the trade" and appropriate applications of the different types of materials they deal with (i.e. Steel vs Aluminum). You may be able to switch two professionals in those fields without too much initial pain, but their lack of hands-on experience with it will shine through soon enough.

TL;DR Filmmakers are not game designers. That doesn't mean they can't adapt to the game design process, can't understand the difference between games or movies, or produce a good game using their movie production experience - it just means treat them like an expert in one field going into a field they're not anywhere nearly as experienced with or "expert" at.

Edited by SM-W
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, SM-W said:

I don't like the idea of people who come from a non-interactive medium trying to come into a medium where gameplay matters more than story.

Just seems like it's dooming the game to have more of what made GTA5 intolerable for me: Too much time being spent watching people complain and be miserable about things with no way to kick their asses for being obnoxious.

As much as I like Tarantino (for, heh, reasons), #1 I can't trust him anymore considering how deep he's worked with Mr. Weinstein over the years (because Hollywood is such a lovely place filled with the best and brightest of American society) ... but more relevant, #2, he's a filmmaker, not a game designer. It's pretty much like carpentry versus metal work. They're both very similar professions in some respects. They both require using layouts and dimensions to make precise cuts in order to construct things with those materials; but despite being closely related, a carpenter isn't a metal worker the same way a metal worker is no carpenter. It's two related but totally different kinds of work, and requires familiarity with the caveats, "tricks of the trade" and appropriate applications of the different types of materials they deal with (i.e. Steel vs Aluminum). You may be able to switch two professionals in those fields without too much initial pain, but their lack of hands-on experience with it will shine through soon enough.

TL;DR Filmmakers are not game designers. That doesn't mean they can't adapt to the game design process, can't understand the difference between games or movies, or produce a good game using their movie production experience - it just means treat them like an expert in one field going into a field they're not anywhere nearly as experienced with or "expert" at.

Paul Dini was brought in to work on the Arkham games. He wrote both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and he doesn't have a background at all in video games he comes from television and animated cartoons and those two games were great.

Rocksteady decided not to bring him back for Arkham Knight and without him that story ended up being terrible 😂

Edited by Zello
13 minutes ago, Zello said:

Paul Dini was brought in to work on the Arkham games. He wrote both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and he doesn't have a background at all in video games and those two games were great.

I never played the Arkham games, so that would probably explain why I wasn't aware of that. In fact, I don't even know who Paul Dini is. (I pretty much just stopped enjoying the act of watching movies years ago.) Like I said, doesn't mean a filmmaker can't make a good game - just don't expect a filmmaker to automatically know how to handle constructing a game, because movies and games require two completely different "structures" to provide entertainment to its audience.

Besides, while you may reference the Arkham games, when I think "filmmaker trying to make a game" I think stuff like David Cage games, or the Quantum Leap game, or The Order 1886, or the slog of TellTale garbage they flung out in their last couple years of life: Games where the gameplay is treated as something to lead you to the scripted story moments, rather than the scripted story moments leading you to more gameplay opportunities.

Edited by SM-W
7 minutes ago, SM-W said:

I never played the Arkham games, so that would probably explain why I wasn't aware of that. In fact, I don't even know who Paul Dini is. (I pretty much just stopped enjoying the act of watching movies years ago.) Like I said, doesn't mean a filmmaker can't make a good game - just don't expect a filmmaker to automatically know how to handle constructing a game, because movies and games require two completely different "structures" to provide entertainment to its audience.

He worked on Batman the animated series and helped create the character of Harley Quinn he's also done some comic book work too. 

I think he's a different case because many comic book writers have written video games before it's pretty common like Haden Blackman who has worked on Star Wars games, written a few comic books, and is the boss of Hangar 13 and is in charge of the Mafia series now.

Edited by Zello
1 hour ago, SM-W said:

Great point there. Yeah there's definitely a disconnect between a really great story and mostly terrible and repetitive gameplay. Take a couple of examples. Mafia 3, which was written by Haden Blackman who's done comics for Star Wars and Marvel and stuff, had an amazing storyline but really boring gameplay, I reckon it's due to time constraints but I'm guessing it's also due to overestimating the scope which most writers unfamiliar with story-driven narrative games (especially open world ones) may tend to overshoot in. There's also FEAR 3, which had John Carpenter as a consultant that ended up being somewhat mediocre in the gaming department.

That said, it's definitely possible to have really good writing and still tie it in well to game mechanics for people unfamiliar with the industry. A possibly unintentional example is San Andreas, which was partially written by DJ Pooh, whose background lies completely in the music industry, and look how that game turned out.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 3

Quentin "Royale With Cheese" Tarantino. But there's one more person, and I think some of you might be wary of choosing him, but I have my reasons.

Paul Verhoeven. Director of Robocop and Starship Troopers. Starship Troopers was a hyper violent parody of a fascist government intended to show the ridiculousness of the book it's based on. Robocop, meanwhile, is a hyperviolent parody of capitalism and one of the most beloved 80's movies of all time. Seriously, I want you guys to think about all of the individual elements of Robocop. Ultraviolence? Definitely part of gta. Media parodies? I'd buy that for a dollar! How about indirect but biting criticism of mega corporations and capitalism? Well, Paul's main target was private policing and technology companies, hence OCP. Kind of like how one of GTA 5's big enemy organizations was Merryweather, but even if there isn't a private security corporation in the next GTA game, I still think Paul Verhoeven could do an excellent job with GTA as a series, because he's willing to do unusual things and not afraid to get a bit cheesy. He also directed Total Recall and Basic Instinct, so you know he's comfortable with sex and violence.

Paul is not just great with ultraviolence, he's also an excellent satirist, a perfect person to help make a series like GTA.