1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Why I really hate Trevor Phillips

JaeDan 101

Niobium
Just now, DR:BUSTA said:

You probably don't understand Trevor's character he is no way near Tommy or even similar a bit to him or you don't understand Tommy

trevor is a ruthless psychopath who shows no remorse for his actions. he "makes sense" to have rampages with in free roam.

tommy is a ruthless psychopath who shows no remorse for his actions. he "makes sense" to have rampages with in free roam.

the difference between tommy and trevor is that tommy isn't nearly as whiny, hypocritical, inconsistent, or plot armored as trevor and he never drags the story down like trevor does. trevor is an inferior version of tommy, you cannot deny this

• Like 5
DR:BUSTA
1 minute ago, Niobium said:

tommy is a ruthless psychopath who shows no remorse for his actions. he "makes sense" to have rampages with in free roam.

Tommy is a smart ruthless psycopath 

Who would do a rampage to just to show City that he owns it

Meanwhile Trevor is a just a psychopath and if he did a rampage it's because his mental health is not well or to have fun not to show the City that he owns it

And also probably every GTA protagonist is a psycopath except Vic Vance I guess

• Like 1

Trevor seems to suffer from some form of psychosis, he also displays several forms of neurosis, both of these things are not typically associated with aspd/psychopathy.

I guess you could call Tommy "superior" in the sense that he isn't "held back" by experiencing ethical/moral conflicts or being capable of reflecting about his behavior.

19 minutes ago, DR:BUSTA said:

And also probably every GTA protagonist is a psycopath except Vic Vance I guess

People tend to be overly "liberal" when it comes to labeling criminals as psychopaths (especially fictional ones), characters like Tommy, Claude, Trevor, fair enough... but the likes of Niko or Johnny seem to traverse in the PTSD/Depression cluster.

• Like 3
billiejoearmstrong8
19 hours ago, SonofLosSantos said:

franklin was a selfish self loathing asshole with no real goals, only a desire for wealth. Turned his back on his family and friends. He’s Michael 2.0 and nobody else ever says anything about it. 

I disagree with you on Trevor but damn this is true. Particularly holds true if you choose ending B, Franklin really becomes everything his "mentor" taught him by backstabbing/killing him. Such irony in that scene. Or in ending A where he's there encouraging Franklin to take Trevor out (happily stepping in to do the job himself if he hesitates) and giving him a bullsh*t life lesson speech to try and justify it afterwards. 

5 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Even though I like Trevor a lot more than I used to I wish R* emphasised some more of his darker and twisted side of his personality.

I’ve always felt he should’ve had more Jack Torrance from The Shining in his personality. A true terrifying psychopath.

He can be funny at times, but at other times it feels like the writing tries a bit “too” hard and it’s hard to take him seriously as a threat. That’s why I feel he should’ve been less comical (still have it of course as every protagonist has their humorous moments).

Look at James Earl Cash from Manhunt. That dude makes Trevor look like a clown by comparison. I think Trevor would’ve better if he was in his own game as ultimately GTA V is about Michael and Trevor is a past demon.

I actually think in concept Trevor’s character is brilliant when you’re not focusing on GTA V’s writing flaws, but that’s how I would’ve fine tuned him if it were up to me.

Agree 100%! My only problem with him is how they went too silly with the humour and wacky stuff and held back just when things were getting good and dark too often. It's really a problem of the tone they decided to go for with the game rather than the character. Besides that issue I think he's the most interesting and compelling character in GTA after Niko. 

• Like 3
billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, Niobium said:

trevor is a ruthless psychopath who shows no remorse for his actions. he "makes sense" to have rampages with in free roam.

the difference between tommy and trevor is that tommy isn't nearly as whiny, hypocritical, inconsistent, or plot armored as trevor and he never drags the story down like trevor does. trevor is an inferior version of tommy, you cannot deny this

I think Trevor does show a form of remorse though, or at least he's emotionally affected and troubled by things. Tommy just has no depth or reaction to anything. But Trevor while claiming to just be living a hedonistic life doing what he wants in fact suffers from severe emotional trauma and toils over things. We see for example that killing Debra and Floyd takes a big toll on him, it's plain to see that all the bad acts he commits affect him badly. Nothing like that with Tommy, he's cool and calm whatever horrible thing he does. Trevor is also neurotic and toils over doing the right things according to his chosen set of morals (not the same as most people's morals of course but morals none the less), staying loyal to Michael despite everything, taking pity on Mr K and letting him live despite having been obliged to torture him etc. Tommy has no morals, only some mafia rules and a remorseless pursuit of money and power. Yes Trevor's a very bad person but I don't think he really fits the cold calculated psychopath description in the same way as Tommy or Toni, his personality and motivations are totally different. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, AmigaMix said:

Trevor seems to suffer from some form of psychosis, he also displays several forms of neurosis, both of these things are not typically associated with aspd/psychopathy.

I guess you could call Tommy "superior" in the sense that he isn't "held back" by experiencing ethical/moral conflicts or being capable of reflecting about his behavior.

People tend to be overly "liberal" when it comes to labeling criminals as psychopaths (especially fictional ones), characters like Tommy, Claude, Trevor, fair enough... but the likes of Niko or Johnny seem to traverse in the PTSD/Depression cluster.

I'd say Trevor also has some PTSD going on. Literally all his rampages are caused by being called insults that trigger past traumas.

Edit: Apologies for multiple posts, hoped they'd merge.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
SonofLosSantos
Just now, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I'd say Trevor also has some PTSD going on. Literally all his rampages are caused by being called insults that trigger past traumas.

Michael literally wakes up from night terrors waving his gun around when his family isn’t home. He’s definitely losing it. And Franklin had to get high just to cope with... well... everything really. We see that from his dialogue whenever he smokes. 
I just feel like Trevor was a very disingenuous depiction of a “mental case”. Different strokes for different folks but ultimately the potential for all three characters were very underwhelming. They could have been so much more... oh well.

• Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8
13 minutes ago, SonofLosSantos said:

Michael literally wakes up from night terrors waving his gun around when his family isn’t home. He’s definitely losing it. And Franklin had to get high just to cope with... well... everything really. We see that from his dialogue whenever he smokes. 
I just feel like Trevor was a very disingenuous depiction of a “mental case”. Different strokes for different folks but ultimately the potential for all three characters were very underwhelming. They could have been so much more... oh well.

True but I think that's caused by the pressure/fear of his immediate situation knowing he could be targeted and how much is at stake. Same with Franklin, it's dealing with the stress of being a criminal. But they seem pretty emotionally stable besides that. Trevor on the other hand is deeply scarred by traumatic events from his childhood/past and appears to be suffering mental illnesses/trauma constantly. Like I said I do think they went over the top with the wackiness with Trevor sometimes and wish they'd gone further with the darker moments, but there's enough more serious stuff and backstory that a complex character (and not just a "funny crazy redneck" as he's often characterised) is there imo.

• Like 1
Americana

Not to mention he probably imagined his mom, of whom he was still afraid.

I just wish Trevor didn't rape people, that's all.

Edited by Americana
2 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

True but I think that's caused by the pressure/fear of his immediate situation knowing he could be targeted and how much is at stake. Same with Franklin, it's dealing with the stress of being a criminal. But they seem pretty emotionally stable besides that.

I probably wouldn't go as far as to call Michael emotionally stable, considering his history of emotional outbursts (e.g. pulling a house down, chasing after Molly Schultz), but I agree otherwise.

---

Regarding Trevor, there definitely is some underlying trauma there, but trauma is to be expected in a person who's "raised" to be a psychopath.

To my knowledge, childhood abuse, while not a guarantee for developing an anti social personality disorder, is a prerequisite for it.

For a defenseless child thrown into an abusive environment, trauma is an inevitability, leaving only the question how it copes with it. 

In a scenario where there are absolutely no positive role models or adults offering safety, I have a hard time imagining how a child wouldn't grow up to be a psychopath (or at least develop a major personality disorder).

Since the foundation for a profoundly sick person like Trevor is, in theory, laid very early on, PTSD shouldn't be able to "take a hold" due to a severely malaligned "psychological/neurological - makeup".

To put it another way: by the time PTSD would have manifested itself, Trevor's brain would've had shut down the major areas in his psyche commonly associated with it (if they developed in the first place).

Then again, I'm not a doctor, and the brain is more than a little complex, so... who knows?

Edited by AmigaMix
  • Like 2

I love Trevor, definitely one of the most interesting and most unique protagonists. He was funny, had depth and his relationship with Michael was the best part of GTA V.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:34 AM, Retro_Causality said:

Trevor is a terrible character, but Franklin is also pretty much useless and really had no "point" in the story

GTA V should of just been about Michael..I been saying that since release

Michael is my favourite GTA V protagonist and is clearly the main protagonist of the story (most of it revolves around him) so I would have liked it if he was the only MC. But Trevor still adds a lot, his missions are usually more action packed and provide variety. Franklin works better as a side character, he is only there for SA nostalgia. They should have fleshed out his relationship with Michael more

19 hours ago, Niobium said:

They are not comparable at all. Tommy is awesome but it would get pretty repetitive if every GTA protagonist was a 100% badass with no flaws and human moments.  Tommy is the perfect gangster but Rockstar prefers original characters.

CJ, Niko, Trevor etc. are all very different from Tommy. Trevor is mentally unstable and clearly has some problems, the dialogue hints at a darker past as well. He is his own character, not a "inferior" version of Tommy

• Like 1

I'd have to disagree too, I believe that Trevor's chaotic and psychopathic personality is what makes him one of the best in GTA V (maybe not the whole franchise). Trevor has had a rough upbringing since young, which leads to this deranged character that we see in the game.

Sure, he might be a sick and mentally unstable hillbilly, and his methods of interacting with people are definitely abnormal, but that's what makes him unique and endearing. He might be brash towards Franklin, but at the end of the game, if you had chosen the option to kill Trevor, you can definitely tell that he did not bear any ill intent towards Franklin, and being betrayed by him causes Trevor to be devastated and anguished.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
IllregentHUN

Those are probably the main reasons that he is my favourite character. You never really seen any character like him in GTA games, or like any games in general. The guy who plays him is also really cool and he has his own moments in the game that makes me like him more.

• Like 2
Americana

Oh yes, he's so epic - I hope Grand Theft Auto VI will have more characters whose personality is pee and poo.

Western Gunslinger

He's a f*cking rapist, that alone is enough for me to hate him

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1
Thelema93

Trevors more in the factor 2 psychopathy cluster.  Parasitic lifestyle, unlawful behaviour, thrill seeking.. early behaviour problems.. while Tommy would be more factor 1.. cool, calm calculating.. superficial charm, shallow affect.. no remorse etc.. On topic.. I think Trevors great. People take him too seriously. Lighten the f*ck up and enjoy the chaos you old farts 

• Like 1
Thelema93
On 12/22/2020 at 3:07 AM, Niobium said:

I can deny this. what a shorthanded way to compare two characters.  Rockstar DID not have Tommy in mind when creating Trevor.. they are nothing alike.. except for them both being ruthless killers.. different backgrounds, different demeanors different looks different motivations etc.. you think Trevor weighed the story down? I think the opposite.. Trevor is a superior version of himself.  There's no one like him.. never will be.. Tommy is an inferior version of scarface you cannot deny this

• YEE 1
IllregentHUN
11 hours ago, Americana said:

Oh yes, he's so epic - I hope Grand Theft Auto VI will have more characters whose personality is pee and poo.

Why is his personality bad? Have you ever completed the story mode? If so, please explain why is his personality so bad compared to the other characters. I'm not saying that he is the best GTA Protagonist, but definetly not the worst either.

Algonquin Assassin
7 hours ago, Thelema93 said:

I can deny this. what a shorthanded way to compare two characters.  Rockstar DID not have Tommy in mind when creating Trevor.. they are nothing alike.. except for them both being ruthless killers.. different backgrounds, different demeanors different looks different motivations etc.. you think Trevor weighed the story down? I think the opposite.. Trevor is a superior version of himself.  There's no one like him.. never will be.. Tommy is an inferior version of scarface you cannot deny this

Hang on. Didn’t you say in another thread you’ve never played Vice City? If that’s so how can you possibly get a full gauge of Tommy?

And saying he’s an inferior of Scarface is complete bollocks. In Scarface Tony ends up becoming a junkie and gets killed for f*cking over Sosa. Tommy didn’t end up with such a fate.

It’s weird how you’re defending Trevor by saying him and Tommy have different backgrounds, different demeanours etc which is a fair point I guess, but that same logic can be applied to Tommy and Tony. Different backgrounds, demeanours and so on. Tommy isn’t a “Scarface ripoff” like people think he is. By in large he’s a completely different type of person who only wants to rise to power.

If that’s the standard he’s judged by then CJ and Vic are inferior versions of Scarface too, but that just sounds stupid.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 6
Americana

Had Trevor been a sane human being, he could have been a successful United States Air Force pilot.

• Like 1
Thelema93
4 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Hang on. Didn’t you say in another thread you’ve never played Vice City? If that’s so how can you possibly get a full gauge of Tommy?

And saying he’s an inferior of Scarface is complete bollocks. In Scarface Tony ends up becoming a junkie and gets killed for f*cking over Sosa. Tommy didn’t end up with such a fate.

It’s weird how you’re defending Trevor by saying him and Tommy have different backgrounds, different demeanours etc which is a fair point I guess, but that same logic can be applied to Tommy and Tony. Different backgrounds, demeanours and so on. Tommy isn’t a “Scarface ripoff” like people think he is. By in large he’s a completely different type of person who only wants to rise to power.

If that’s the standard he’s judged by then CJ and Vic are inferior versions of Scarface too, but that just sounds stupid.

Nope I've never played vice city.. but it doesn't take an expert to know Tommy isn't a superior version of Trevor..he's his own entity entirely.  That TLAD fanboy was trying to make it sound like they tried to base Trevor's likeness off Tommy which is ludicrous..

And yet, everyone knows Tommy is loosely based on scarface... Same way Niko is loosely based on Sasha.. not saying he's an exact ripoff.. they wear different colour shirts after all... I was just using colourful language as a way to gauge a reaction.. sure worked didn't it.. but there is definitely an inspiration there.. whether or not Tommy is inferior to scarface is up to interpretation..

I think he is.. for one reason and one reason only.. scarface is an iconic movie character who's played by a real life actor on the big screen. He has some of the most quoteble lines in cinema..Al Pacino FFS.. Tommy's a cartoon character in comparison.. he's not even rendered in HD.. I know ray Liotta is suppose to be good too but he's definitely no Al Pacino.. Tommy is probably ahead of his time.. but it's foolish to say he's a better character than Tony Montana.. Movie writing is far superior. 

• KEKW 2
Patrizio
On 12/19/2020 at 8:23 AM, Zello said:

I really hate how he's built up to be running a criminal empire that you don't actually run. Seriously the entire game he mentions TPI but then never does anything with it like at all. I would have enjoyed running Trevor's criminal empire out in Sandy Shores and Blaine county. Having wars with all the gangs that are out there and conducting business with other gangs and cartels would have been much better than what we got. Instead he's a joke and forced to be crazy for no reason. People say that Franklin needed a gang storyline but actually that would have fit Trevor more tbh.

So I just pick ending A everytime and let Michael shoot him.

I hate the way he's seemingly able to take on the Triads and the Aztecas with little real repercussion. The Triads are an international syndicate and some LA based street gangs are huge with connections to Mexican cartels. I know GTA isn't realistic but the story should be, within in reason. The TPI was never convincing with me.

Algonquin Assassin
5 hours ago, Thelema93 said:

Nope I've never played vice city.. but it doesn't take an expert to know Tommy isn't a superior version of Trevor..he's his own entity entirely.  That TLAD fanboy was trying to make it sound like they tried to base Trevor's likeness off Tommy which is ludicrous..

And yet, everyone knows Tommy is loosely based on scarface... Same way Niko is loosely based on Sasha.. not saying he's an exact ripoff.. they wear different colour shirts after all... I was just using colourful language as a way to gauge a reaction.. sure worked didn't it.. but there is definitely an inspiration there.. whether or not Tommy is inferior to scarface is up to interpretation..

I think he is.. for one reason and one reason only.. scarface is an iconic movie character who's played by a real life actor on the big screen. He has some of the most quoteble lines in cinema..Al Pacino FFS.. Tommy's a cartoon character in comparison.. he's not even rendered in HD.. I know ray Liotta is suppose to be good too but he's definitely no Al Pacino.. Tommy is probably ahead of his time.. but it's foolish to say he's a better character than Tony Montana.. Movie writing is far superior. 

*face palm*

Ok you don’t have to like Tommy, but I guess you’re not familiar with any of Ray Liotta’s work then?

I’m not going to get into a debate whether he’s better than Al Pacino, but Ray Liotta is pretty iconic and I guarantee more people were aware of Ray Liotta before Vice City than Steve Ogg before GTA V. For most people Ray Liotta is what makes Tommy a compelling character.

He is definitely not some cartoon character.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 2
  • KEKW 1
20 hours ago, Thelema93 said:

You know you were talking sense until you said  that Tommy is an inferior version of scarface which is literally doing what you're defending Trevor from

Edited by DR:BUSTA
Wrote said twice
  • Like 2
Fake Lilina

Did I just see a statement about Tommy being a ripoff of Scarface...?

Ok then...

Whatever floats your boat... 😒

Edited by Fake Lilina
  • Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
2 hours ago, DR:BUSTA said:

You know you were talking sense until you said you said that Tommy is an inferior version of scarface which is literally doing what you're defending Trevor from

Moreover it’s ridiculous how he thinks the only thing that makes Tommy and Tony different is the colour of Tommy’s shirt LMAO.

Talk about scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

• Like 4
  • KEKW 1
ddarko12

I don't like Trevor because he's just a very edgy character. He's not supposed to be a likeable personal, in reality, but I don't find his personality likeable for a game either. I thought one of the ways you could kill him in the storyline was pretty deplorable... but actually well deserving. I still never picked that ending though.

I don't know, there's many piece of sh*t horrible GTA characters but they tend to be likeable. Like Goodfellas. All of them really are just scum, but they have charisma. Trevor just doesn't.

And then his fanbase. Idk, but some of them (not all of them so don't come for me) seem to be the edgy or "IDGAF" type which to me is sort of exhausting.

Edited by ddarko12
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Moreover it’s ridiculous how he thinks the only thing that makes Tommy and Tony different is the colour of Tommy’s shirt LMAO.

Talk about scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

Unpopular opinion: I've never seen that much of similarities between Tommy and Tony 

Actually even though it's clear that VC is based of Scarface but I have never felt like if it's a straight rip off from the movie like a lot say (actually I can hardly see any Similarities except the beginning and the ending)

The only thing that looks as a straight rip off is the mansion but this was needed to give you the "world is yours " vibe

Edited by DR:BUSTA
  • Like 1
Zello
8 hours ago, Thelema93 said:

He's not though.

Since when was Tommy an immigrant from Cuba who works as a dishwasher? When does Tommy bang a drug lords wife, has a weird obsession over his sister, and makes enemies with a drug lord from a different country?

Tommy also isn't addicted to Cocaine like Tony.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 2