3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA 3 vs GTA 5 in terms of gameplay

Jade95

Hi. I want to know what you guys think of gameplay in GTA 3 and GTA 5. Especially missions.

GTA 3 let players to choose their own ways to accomplish their mission. From which cars to use, weapons, pathes, priority of multiple targets. There was some creative ways to complete a mission, such as drop the target off at the dock with a taxi instead of following him because he's doesn't know Claude's face and he's going to take a taxi to the dock.

On the other hand, GTA 5 has more linear missions. The system tells you what to do, which car to use, and etc. It's more comfortable to some players as they don't have to think about strategy, which can be annoying in some cases.

I've played both game and had fun, but I personally love GTA 3's mission better since it feels more like GTA.

Let me know your thought on these two game design style.

Edited by Jade95
  • Like 3

I thought that this will be a dumb Topic comparing the mechanics between the two games but you actually brought a good point

GTA 5 by offering you more than one strategy actually takes from you the freedom and gives you another kind of freedom which is choosing the mission itself and how it will look like 

Which isn't really a problem IMO

• Like 1

GTA V and III has their pros and cons but GTA V is the first GTA game to have missions that I genuinely hate (e.g Scouting the Port). And that alone puts it below other GTAs IMO.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, DR:BUSTA said:

I thought that this will be a dumb Topic comparing the mechanics between the two games but you actually brought a good point

GTA 5 by offering you more than one strategy actually takes from you the freedom and gives you another kind of freedom which is choosing the mission itself and how it will look like 

Which isn't really a problem IMO

Thank you! multiple mission plans system was a really good idea too.

17 hours ago, Ryo256 said:

GTA V and III has their pros and cons but GTA V is the first GTA game to have missions that I genuinely hate (e.g Scouting the Port). And that alone puts it below other GTAs IMO.

Yeah I remember that mission too. There was some really fun mission in V but some other missions like port scouting mission were not for me

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin

There are some missions in GTA V I like, but honestly most of them are quite overrated IMO. People always gush that it has "variety", but when these missions feel like a slog/chore to get through that doesn't really matter. It offers a false sense of "freedom", but kicks you in the balls too often for trying something off the beaten path. Sadly this approach carried over into RDR2 and as much as I love that game it makes repeat playthroughs a hard swallow.

In regards to GTA III I guess by today's standards most of the missions would fall under the typical cookie cutter open world design, but its simplicity is still rather charming. It's the same reason why I love the missions in GTA IV. Not just the freedom of which they have, but the missions are rooted "GTA" missions. Stealing cars, gunfights, beating people up. That's what GTA is to me. Not flying jets, parachutes, jetpacks etc. That stuff has its appeal in small doses, but when I play GTA I want to feel like criminal living it rough than a superhero (lol if you get me).

I love how in GTA III Claude (Just like Niko) is a hired gun and it encourages us to use our heads without relying on action heavy, on rails set pieces.  

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 7
6 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

There are some missions in GTA V I like, but honestly most of them are quite overrated IMO. People always gush that it has "variety", but when these missions feel like a slog/chore to get through that doesn't really matter. It offers a false sense of "freedom", but kicks you in the balls too often for trying something off the beaten path. Sadly this approach carried over into RDR2 and as much as I love that game it makes repeat playthroughs a hard swallow.

In regards to GTA III I guess by today's standards most of the missions would fall under the typical cookie cutter open world design, but its simplicity is still rather charming. It's the same reason why I love the missions in GTA IV. Not just the freedom of which they have, but the missions are rooted "GTA" missions. Stealing cars, gunfights, beating people up. That's what GTA is to me. Not flying jets, parachutes, jetpacks etc. That stuff has its appeal in small doses, but when I play GTA I want to feel like criminal living it rough than a superhero (lol if you get me).

I love how in GTA III Claude (Just like Niko) is a hired gun and it encourages us to use our heads without relying on action heavy, on rails set pieces.  

Thanks for your opinion! I just found out why I always had fun when I play repeat playthroughs in GTA 3.

Missions in RDR2 being similar to GTA 5 was a bit sad to me too. It's a great game, but It's not fun as much as prior rockstar's games.

Thx!

• Like 3
Algonquin Assassin
42 minutes ago, Jade95 said:

Thanks for your opinion! I just found out why I always had fun when I play repeat playthroughs in GTA 3.

Missions in RDR2 being similar to GTA 5 was a bit sad to me too. It's a great game, but It's not fun as much as prior rockstar's games.

Thx!

No problemo dude.🤙

• Like 1
SonofLosSantos

I still play gta 3 every day. Even though it’s the most primitive of the mainline gta’s, I enjoy everything about it still. and most importantly, it’s still FUN to play. In all honestly I rarely ever feel like I’m having “fun” in gta v. I often feel like I put myself on autopilot and do things to progress the story so I can get to the next section ect ect. It’s not a problem that even IV had. Sometimes less is more and V overdosed on the over the top cinematic bullsh*t and lost its core. Even with all the pitfalls that gta 3 has, if I had to pick one to play all the way through in the timespan of a week, I’d still pick it over V every time.

• Like 4
On 12/18/2020 at 6:38 AM, SonofLosSantos said:

I still play gta 3 every day. Even though it’s the most primitive of the mainline gta’s, I enjoy everything about it still. and most importantly, it’s still FUN to play. In all honestly I rarely ever feel like I’m having “fun” in gta v. I often feel like I put myself on autopilot and do things to progress the story so I can get to the next section ect ect. It’s not a problem that even IV had. Sometimes less is more and V overdosed on the over the top cinematic bullsh*t and lost its core. Even with all the pitfalls that gta 3 has, if I had to pick one to play all the way through in the timespan of a week, I’d still pick it over V every time.

I can't agree more. Everytime I play GTA 5 or GTA Online, It's just boring. So I return to play GTA 3 everytime and it's actually more fun.

I would also choose GTA 3 if I have to play for a week, or even for my lifetime, gladly.

• Like 1
SonofLosSantos
27 minutes ago, Jade95 said:

I can't agree more. Everytime I play GTA 5 or GTA Online, It's just boring. So I return to play GTA 3 everytime and it's actually more fun.

I would also choose GTA 3 if I have to play for a week, or even for my lifetime, gladly.

gta online is crafted to be a chore. It’s actually kinda f*cked up that I used to not want to 100% the old gta’s because I felt like THAT was a boring chore, but now, from the conditioning I’ve had from gta online, 100%’ing gta 3 is a f*cking BREEZE. Even some of the things I HATED when I originally played it are much more tolerable. Even with the clunky controls and not being able to swim, I don’t feel like it’s unfair, especially not compared to flying bikes and aimbots. Who would’ve thought that when V/Online came in the scene people would legitimately say “nah, I’d rather play gta 3”??? You can’t even change clothes!😂

• Like 2

GTA 3 hasn't aged well, it was a groundbreaking game but even back when VC+SA came out there was really no reason to return to it. Obviously GTA V's missions are better and more memorable, I don't mind that they are more scripted

14 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

GTA 3 hasn't aged well, it was a groundbreaking game but even back when VC+SA came out there was really no reason to return to it. Obviously GTA V's missions are better and more memorable, I don't mind that they are more scripted

I agree. I love GTA 3's missions but they are really raw, and GTA 5's missions are (to me) not really fun, but very polished and well-made.

However, there's unaccountable charm in it which makes me return to GTA 3 although I've played almost every GTA games from GTA 2 to VC, SA, CTW, to GTA 5 and Online

13 hours ago, Payne said:

Gta III’s missions are obviously better but when it comes to open world outside of storyline, Gta V is very advanced.

I agree. I often drive my car to the highway in GTA Online with my friend. Turn on Blonded Radio and drive slowly along the seaside highway watching the beautiful sunset of Los Santos. Missions were disappoint to me, but game itself outside those missions are fascinating as much as GTA 3.

but I also love driving LC in GTA 3 xd

Edited by Jade95
  • Like 1