1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why does Rockstar hate Max Payne 3 so much......

Retro_Causality

Retro_Causality

they never put it on xbox one BC, which they did for virtually all there other games

and they never gave us a remaster, it honestly seems like they dont want nothing to do with it anymore

Algonquin Assassin

I wouldn’t say they hate it, but it seems like it’s something they quickly lost interest in. Well more than other IPs.

I’ve always thought it was strange that it was basically the only 7th gen R* game that wasn’t made BC (lol even Table Tennis beat it to the punch), but the more I think of it there could be other reasons like licensing and things like that rather than them simply not wanting it to be BC. Who knows.

It’s a shame because I’ve been playing it on my 360 again and it’s still as amazing as it was 8 years ago. People often criticise the R.A.G.E R* titles for being “heavy”, “clunky” which to me is simply a design choice, but Max Payne 3 blows that notion out of the water with its silky smooth movement and of course satisfying as hell gunplay.

I don’t expect another Max Payne game, but unfortunately it seems to have gone the way of Manhunt, Midnight Club and so many former R* franchises that have been lost over time. It’s hard to think that this game came out right in the middle of GTA V’s hype yet barely bats an eyelid now despite that it’s an absolutely fantastic game.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
cp1dell
On 12/9/2020 at 7:24 AM, Algonquin Assassin said:

but the more I think of it there could be other reasons like licensing and things like that rather than them simply not wanting it to be BC. Who knows.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rockstar's games, but damn would it be a nice surprise if Remedy got ahold of the IP again just like how they recently reacquired the publishing rights for Alan Wake.

As much as I love Max Payne 3, I'd love even more a version that's more in-line with what Remedy seemed to be leaning towards with "Alex Casey: The Sudden Stop." I've been keeping my fingers crossed that Remedy would release a tongue-in-cheek "Alex Casey 3" game for years.

It seems Max Payne 3 isn't really popular for some reason, especially when it comes to modding. Most of Rockstar's post-Renderware games seem to fall into this description. I know modding for RAGE is different and often difficult, while also waiting for OpenIV support, but it seems like Max Payne 3 especially never really gained any interest. Which sucks, because that's the only route I think we'd have ever seen Max Payne 1 and 2 done in the MP3 engine.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Bob Loblaw

Their hate for Max Payne 3 is only second to VCS. (The only 3D game era to not get a mobile release, the only 3D era game without an official soundtrack release, the only 3D era game to not be remembered in GTA Online, etc).

ChengizVlad09

Tbh, MP3 gets all the hate from the community as well, whic is more defeating in a sense. Undeservingly, needless to say. It cannot be said that R* exactly "hate" it, but it's undoubtedly their most unprofitable product, hence T2 doesn't see much interest there. It's somewhat sad, because in terms of raw gameplay it is their best product of this decade. For what it offers, MP3 is one helluva game; awesome shooting mechanics with bunch of replayability. It is ironic, that linear game beats the living s#it out of their "open world" games in terms of the mentioned replayability. Payne's greatest 'weakness' in the final act is the fact that the game itself is not set in an open world, more specifically, not in the snow covered New York. Not even the great narration and story telling with bunch of twists and turns managed to elevate it higher, since nowadays everybody is crazy about watching - literally watching - long a$$ cutcsenes, rather than playing the game, especially the critics and the quintessence of games became the story aspect. Probably because it is being simple and straight forward and mainly secondary. People and critics expect a f'cking Tolstoy in a game and anything less than that is lame.

Basically, the majority of weaknesses MP3 have as a game is the compilation of not having trivial open world fetch quests, grindy mechanics, dozens of ' interesting characters ' and tiring cutscenes and in the end, the fact you actually have something meaningful to do; despite the fact it's nothing more than shooting and killing enemies in one of the most satisfying ways 3rd or 1st person shooters can offer.

Edited by ChengizVlad09
  • excuseme 2

Rockstar didn’t know how to make a linear game so they f*cked up. It’s not that bad but the complaints people do are pretty visible through the entire game. Unlike Gta V, you can’t ignore the story here and just play. It may be really tedious for some people. I played Max Payne 3 a bit again lately and it’s not that bad but the scripted gameplay and dumbass cutscenes are still there so...

• Like 1
ChengizVlad09

@Payne In the sense of linearity, it's perfectly fine; don't know what's there to be f%cked up? It's a linear game. As I've said, it is not supposed to be anything other than exactly that, and how do you mean they don't know how to make a linear game? More like, they don't know how to make a proper open world game, but that's another pair of shoes. The only thing worth complaining about Max Payne 3 is that hideous "drunk" effect during cutscenes, if that's what you mean by " dumbas$ cutscenes". I would still love to see comic book styled cutscenes, but I bet R* was "afraid" to implement it. It seemed like small time thing to them, so they went with that movie alike bs. If you don't like the story, that's fine and you can totally ignore it, really have no idea why you need to know anything about it when pumping guys full of lead. Scripted gameplay, what scripted gameplay? If you talk about couple of short gimmicky animations, then that's funny, "scripted" gameplay..

Edited by ChengizVlad09
  • KEKW 1
2 hours ago, ChengizVlad09 said:

@Payne In the sense of linearity, it's perfectly fine; don't know what's there to be f%cked up? It's a linear game. As I've said, it not supposed to be anything other than exactly that, and how do you mean they don't know how to make a linear game? More like, they don't know how to make a proper open world game, but that's another pair of shoes. The only thing worth complaining about Max Payne 3 is that hideous "drunk" effect during cutscenes, if that's what you mean by " dumbas$ cutscenes". I would still love to see comic book styled cutscenes, but I bet R* was "afraid" to implement it. It seemed like small time thing to them, so they went with that movie alike bs. If you don't like the story, that's fine and you can totally ignore it, really have no idea why you need to know anything about it when pumping guys full of lead. Scripted gameplay, what scripted gameplay? If you talk about couple of short gimmicky animations, then that's funny, "scripted" gameplay..

Lol Rockstar makes the best open world games, its the reason for their popularity. MP3 was fine but I think the other user is talking about the unskippable cutscenes which get tedious in later playthroughs. 

Also gamers and critics caring more about the story and characters in games now is a good thing 

ChengizVlad09

Oh, yeah. He supposed to put it like that then. That thing is lame indeed. Even if it had the best story ever, we should have the option to skip it, regardless, I agree.

Rockstar arguably creates the best stories inside the open world games, but not the best open world games, per se. Or not anymore. Actually, there's really no good open world games nowdays. I won't go far in to explaining why. Just because IGN or some other mainstream game reviewer said they are are masterpieces, doesn't necessarily means it's the case, I would say far f*cking from it. Imho, gameplay wise, GTA V, just like RDR2 or GTA IV for the most part are nothing but perfectly wrapped up pieces of unreplyable s#it, that could easily be made just like Max Payne; inside some "linear world" with scripted missions, but they would still be missing huge chunk of great and dynamic gameplay Max has. Open worlds Rockstar is making are nothing but one giant, empty, unnecessary gimmick with bunch of demeaning fetch quests and no real enemies or threats. A top of it all no real mechanics or systems that could ever provide something meaningful or challenging. Boring at best.

Edited by ChengizVlad09
  • Like 1
Payne

Gunplay is crazy but it’s Max doing stuff like dropping his rifle in cutscenes. A lot of cutscenes appear for no reason, like opening doors or walking downstairs. There is not much exploration because a cutscene appears and the player gets to the next part.