4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Will GTA VI have single player at all?

Dan50

18 minutes ago, The Wolf Man said:

People think GTA IV is the standard but it's the other way around actually. My advice: Forget about GTA IV, R* took that idea and transformed it into Red Dead Redemption.

About GTA 6. I'm not sure about anything anymore. Rockstar change a lot recently and we can't say anything for sure. I think the game will have a single player mode and it's going to be great, but the online mode will be a huge part of the experience as well. "Live service" they call it, like in the Avengers game, maybe not as extreme, but I think it is going to happen.

Yeah after the backlash Rockstar just went with RDR for more serious & darker stories while keeping GTA lighthearted and OTT. I don't think that will change.

GTA:O will be a big part of the next GTA but I don't think that means the SP will be half assed, RDR2 showed that they still care about quality SP games

• Like 2

Personally, I never really thought GTA IV was all that serious. It was still so full of ridiculously over the top characters played as overly bombastic caricatures that it sort of undercut any attempts at seriousness. The times it did try to get "deep" often just came across as melodramatic at best for me.

12 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

GTA V's tone is really not that different from the 3D Era though, GTA was always more cartoony until IV. GTA IV's tone is my favourite but its the exception.

I get what you're saying, but I don't agree. The 3D Era took itself seriously in a sense, but was full of colorful characters so to say. GTA V is more "in your face" with the satire, parodies, and characters to the point where it makes everything and everyone shallow.

Like, instead of Jimmy being a lazy rich kid who just plays video games and smokes, he is the lazy rich kid who plays video games and smokes all day. An absolute caricature that you can't help roll your eyes at. Like the mission where Merryweather raids Michael's house. Even in the 3D Era that would have been a somewhat serious moment, comparable to Sonny's raid on Tommy's mansion. I mean, you're dealing with criminals. Instead, you have the part where Michael is at gunpoint, the lights go out...

And Jimmy is now in full gear, teabagging one of the mercs. Like c'mon.

Anyways, I've always been interested in how they're going to approach the gameplay and content in GTA VI. Every GTA game has always had its' own pros. Something in it that you couldn't get from another title. This was always Rockstar's MO mind you. I remember Dan Houser in an interview concerning GTA III how they try to make each game unique, it's own thing. Each one isn't just "another sequel" in a way that adds a couple new things that the last didn't have. It's a totally different experience.

But with GTAO, anything that could have ended up in another game, they threw in there (although, pretty shallow designs). You have the ability to run a biker gang. Run a business. Sell weapons etc. All these big content/features are things that probably could have been a huge, or somewhat huge part in another title--just like how GTA V's thing was having heists you could plan. But it feels like Rockstar just blew load after load into GTAO. So now what? What happens when GTA VI doesn't have the ability to run businesses? To run guns? And all the other features that GTAO introduced?

Edited by cp1dell
  • Like 6

More like "will there be a GTA VI"? And if yes, will it be... open-world?

What GTA Online has become (yes, Cayo Perico worries me) is a drastically different game. The mindset behind it seems closer to the top-down games than anything after them and with the money it's bringing in, I don't see what could possibly be convincing enough for R* to release what would now be considered an old-school game.

They've abandoned everything that made GTA (2001-2013) what it was, and their playerbase has changed a lot too - which is natural. A solid SP campaign is a boomer demand now, so I think it's about time we move on and leave it to the ones who pay for the game through microtransactions. Cayo Perico is being casually called "single player content" and I guess that answers everything, unless they suddenly move in the total opposite direction. I'd love to see GTA stop evolving into a mix of Fortnite, Farcry and Just Cause but it doesn't seem very likely right now.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, The Wolf Man said:

Not many people are giving enough importance to this question.

Does Rockstar want to make more money? The answer to that question answers the other one.

It occurs to me SP and Online might be merged.

Cayo Perico is 100% completable alone, but is Online.

I don’t mind something like this as long as they don’t reduce the focus on story. It opens for example where you had character switching between M, F and T, you can have AI control or other players taking on additional roles if they join in.

9 hours ago, Chrome Zentorno said:

Does Rockstar want to make more money? The answer to that question answers the other one.

They are already earning tons of money without making much effort.

Edited by The Wolf Man
3 hours ago, The Wolf Man said:

They are already earning tons of money without making much effort.

there is no such thing as "we're already making enough money" within companies

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jimbatron said:

I don’t mind something like this as long as they don’t reduce the focus on story. It opens for example where you had character switching between M, F and T, you can have AI control or other players taking on additional roles if they join in.

I think we'll definitely see them blend the single and multiplayer more and more in Online going forward but I'd be pretty surprised if they ever fully committed to it.  In the next version of Online I think they'll do more stuff like the Cayo Perico Heist. Things you can complete alone or with a group, but I don't think we'll ever get to a point where Online can be completed completely solo. I don't think we'll even get solo/invite only session options in the next version. 

It was pretty clear in the misleading advertising for RDO that Rockstar is aware of the large player base interested in single player content and they'd love to get some of that player base into the online ecosystem. Going forward I think they'll keep doing things to convince those people that maybe there's some fun to be had for them in GTA Online but it'll always be a PVP hell hole at heart.

That said, I don't think they'll ever completely merge the two. I think the more likely scenario is the expandable game theory. I could see Online getting map expansions with new cities and with those new cities comes a 5-10 hour single player story they can use to justify charging money for it. 

1 hour ago, CheesyWalnuts said:

there is no such thing as "we're already making enough money" within companies

But they need to spend more money and take risks if they want to make even more money. Some choose to play a safer path.

Edited by The Wolf Man
Just now, The Wolf Man said:

But you got spend money and take risks to make more money. Some choose to play a safer path.

there's 0 risk to releasing a GTA, Cyberpunk 2077 was a much worse launch than most Rockstar launches and it still made an insane amount of money, you can only imagine how GTA 6 will be

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CheesyWalnuts said:

there's 0 risk to releasing a GTA, Cyberpunk 2077 was a much worse launch than most Rockstar launches and it still made an insane amount of money, you can only imagine how GTA 6 will be

It's not that simple. CDPR founders lost 1 billion after the game's release. They devalued as a company and lost the trust of consumers. Plus Cyberpunk 2077 might have paid itself already but it's surely not as profitable as they tought it would be. Releasing AAA games is an enourmous headeach nowadays.

Edited by The Wolf Man
6 minutes ago, The Wolf Man said:

It's not that simple. CDPR founders lost 1 billion after the game's release. They devalued as a company and lost the trust of consumers. Plus Cyberpunk 2077 might have paid itself already but it's surely not as profitable as they tought it would be. Releasing AAA games is an enourmous headeach nowadays.

I think the main difference though is that Rockstar will never feel pressured into releasing a game that's not ready to be released. They're not likely to find themselves in a position where they have a strong opening week of sales followed by nothing but bad press about how broken their game is. Rockstar backlash generally takes a few months and has very little effect on sales. It's much easier for them to minimize the risks than it is for most other developers.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

I think the main difference though is that Rockstar will never feel pressured into releasing a game that's not ready to be released. They're not likely to find themselves in a position where they have a strong opening week of sales followed by nothing but bad press about how broken their game is. Rockstar backlash generally takes a few months and has very little effect on sales. It's much easier for them to minimize the risks than it is for most other developers.

But remember that GTA VI will be the sequel to the best-selling game of all time. There will be eyes everywhere, even more than Cyberpunk.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, The Wolf Man said:

But remember that GTA VI will be the sequel to the best-selling game of all time. There will be eyes everywhere, even more than Cyberpunk.

That doesn't really change anything. You're right that releasing any AAA game is a risk but a new GTA is probably the least risky release there is. GTA VI would have to release unbelievably broken to damage Rockstar in any meaningful way and, like I said, Rockstar is in a position to minimize those risks. They can take all the time they need to ensure they deliver a good product.

In short, the potential risks are incredibly low and the potential rewards are astronomically high.

And, honestly, I don't know that pumping out GTA and Red Dead Online content is significantly cheaper than making a new game. As far as I know there haven't been any massive layoffs at Rockstar, which means they're still likely paying AAA production costs. It might even be riskier not to be working on something new.

• Bruh 1

I don’t think Gta Next is gonna come out. If it does, Rockstar can just make a cheap ass single player and go straight to Online because I’m sure there’ll be people who would buy Shark Cards.

• excuseme 1
1 hour ago, Payne said:

I don’t think Gta Next is gonna come out. If it does, Rockstar can just make a cheap ass single player and go straight to Online because I’m sure there’ll be people who would buy Shark Cards.

This is honestly an answer I’d consider a bit foolish. Rockstar simply can’t/won’t sit on the same single-player campaign and online world for another console cycle. It’ll be over a decade old and very dated by the end of it. They even have the watered-down physics and damage engines from the PS3/360 (and who knows if they’ll ramp them up for the new gen). Plus, GTA Online will slow down eventually.

GTA 5 is legitimately the 2nd best selling video game of all time. Over 100 million copies sold. Of course, a few of those people bought it for the online component only and never touched single-player, but how many people do you think that is? Rockstar is known first and foremost for single-player campaigns, not online modes. GTA 5 wouldn’t have sold as many copies as it did without that single-player campaign, and that’s a fact. RDR2 sold moderately less than GTA 5 (34 million) but it’s still the 13th best selling game of all time. Nobody is buying RDR2 for its online mode, and it shows because Rockstar neglects it. People bought it to play as a single-player game.

TL;DR: Of course GTA 6 is going to have a single-player campaign!

Edited by Chrome Zentorno
2 hours ago, cp1dell said:

How the hell are people here trying to compare Rockstar to CDPR and their disaster of a launch is my question.

Rockstar is a much bigger (and better) company than CDPR but no one is free from failures. I think the Cyberpunk situation is just an example of how hard these companies can fall if they play the wrong cards.

21 minutes ago, The Wolf Man said:

Rockstar is a much bigger (and better) company than CDPR but no one is free from failures. I think the Cyberpunk situation is just an example of how hard these companies can fall if they play the wrong cards.

Thing is, CDPR has a history of bad launches, they had to overhaul The Witcher 3's UI entirely and change up the movement system post-launch and that was after a delay, while technically Rockstar can launch a buggy mess, I doubt they would especially when there is no pressure to release GTA 6 earlier than needed

35 minutes ago, CheesyWalnuts said:

Thing is, CDPR has a history of bad launches, they had to overhaul The Witcher 3's UI entirely and change up the movement system post-launch and that was after a delay, while technically Rockstar can launch a buggy mess, I doubt they would especially when there is no pressure to release GTA 6 earlier than needed

Like I said. It's just an example. The same fall from grace happened with BioWare and even EA.

Personally I never considered CDPR to be one of the top gaming developers out there. Like you said, they hit the nail with Witcher 3 but they never had a huge history of successful games.

People always need someone or something to be the savior of things and they picked CDPR for whatever reason.

• Like 3
On 12/5/2020 at 8:15 PM, Dan50 said:

Or will R* just make GTAO 2 and just give up on single player because no money can be made in it. 

No money can be made in single player?  Are you high?  The most hyped games in the past decade have been almost exclusively single player games (GTA, RDR, Zelda, Skyrim, Cyberpunk, etc).  The single player market is enormous, and it's not going anywhere just because multiplayer happens to be a cash cow as well.  They'll dump hundreds of millions into a phenomenal SP campaign like they've done with all of their recent games, and they'll make it back within 2-3 days of release just like they always do.  Once they've hooked people with an outstanding story-driven experience, they'll turn to multiplayer for the long-term profit goals with minimal additional investment.

• 4 months later...
On 12/24/2020 at 2:38 PM, Jimbatron said:

Like Destiny or The Division?

Posted (edited)

R* said they will want to keep SP, so I expect there to be some lame half arsed attempt at a single player to shut us up and then a massive on-line expansion with a 15 years worth of missions.

Edited by Lioshenka
  • KEKW 1

I think that single player should be anyway. It is one of the main features of this game

It'll have single player but considering how V was along with rdr 2 don't expect much content outside of the initial campagain. 

The Tracker
9 hours ago, Copcaller said:

It'll have single player but considering how V was along with rdr 2 don't expect much content outside of the initial campagain. 

What you mean with outside of the initial campaing? Single player DLC?