3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Will GTA VI have single player at all?

Dan50

I imagine it'll work the same as GTA V and RDR2. A solid single player experience with an online mode that gets all of their attention post launch. I'd love to see them find a way to cater to both single player and multiplayer fanbases but it seems incredibly unlikely. 

Why would you think no money could be made in single player? 

I see this a lot, as well as people citing that The Benz is gone (even though he is to blame for GTA's movement and focus on multiplayer), as well as Dan Houser.

But we still have people like producer Rob Nelson, and writers Michael Unsworth, and Rupert Humphries working there. So I like to think that single player will still be alright, as well as the story. Maybe with Houser gone, the games might go back to having a somewhat serious tone with comedic relief here and there like GTA IV, RDR1, and RDR2--which some people might not like--but I expect to still get single player focused games from them. Even then, Dan Houser was around long enough to probably help write GTA VI, so no real effects will probably be seen until Rockstar's next game.

But regardless, with people like Nelson still there, I'm not too worried.

• Like 9
Dimitry Rascalov
1 minute ago, cp1dell said:

I see this a lot, as well as people citing that The Benz is gone (even though he is to blame for GTA's movement and focus on multiplayer), as well as Dan Houser.

But we still have people like producer Rob Nelson, and writers Michael Unsworth, and Rupert Humphries working there. So I like to think that single player will still be alright, as well as the story. Maybe with Houser gone, the games might go back to having a somewhat serious tone with comedic relief here and there like GTA IV, RDR1, and RDR2--which some people might not like--but I expect to still get single player focused games from them. Even then, Dan Houser was around long enough to probably help write GTA VI, so no real effects will probably be seen until Rockstar's next game.

But regardless, with people like Nelson still there, I'm not too worried.

Agreed, one of the few big companies that still have good creators. I hope they return to IV's tone, where you can connect with the characters. I think IV captured it perfectly, you had two serious characters then you got to experience the more cartoony side of it with TBOGT which was still an amazing experience. V in my opinion you didn't really have a connection with the characters, they just weren't very likeable. I mean trevor was funny at times but michael and franklin were just kind of boring. 

• Like 3

Not even TBoGT. Roman, Brucie, Little Jacob with his long unintelligible rants which confused Niko--there were plenty of comedic relief moments in GTA IV. Yes, the overall story and its' themes were more serious, but people acted like it was constant doom and gloom, which it wasn't. It's like people wanted a cartoon instead, and that's why we ended up with sh*t like GTA V.

Edited by cp1dell
  • Like 8
Dimitry Rascalov
11 minutes ago, cp1dell said:

Not even TBoGT. Roman, Brucie, Little Jacob with his long unintelligible rants which confused Niko--there were plenty of comedic relief moments in GTA IV. Yes, the overall story and its' themes were more serious, but people acted like it was constant doom and gloom, which it wasn't. It's like people wanted a cartoon instead, and that's why we ended up with sh*t like GTA V.

Yes, Niko still had plenty of humorous moments. I see that rockstar was trying to appease the kids as the content for V got really stupid, like fighting federal agencies, combating a paramilitary organization, stealing bio weapons.. like seriously that's just stupid, trying to recreate the old san andreas theme it seems. Some of the heists were fun but overall most of them were a bit too cartoony like fighting the army with military grade juggernaut armor lol.. that's why its hard to replay GTA V, GTA IV is so easy to replay cause you're engaged in the story.

• Like 2

I see GTAO being its own game this time as in not even needing GTA VI to play it. R* would have some serious screws loose to abandon single player outright though, but I'm not too worried as fans would riot. Remember when I think it was Black Ops 4 had no single player campaign and a lot of people were upset about it? And that was a COD game.

On 12/6/2020 at 1:43 AM, Dimitry Rascalov said:

Agreed, one of the few big companies that still have good creators. I hope they return to IV's tone, where you can connect with the characters. I think IV captured it perfectly, you had two serious characters then you got to experience the more cartoony side of it with TBOGT which was still an amazing experience. V in my opinion you didn't really have a connection with the characters, they just weren't very likeable. I mean trevor was funny at times but michael and franklin were just kind of boring. 

Having watched a few videos of IV recently, I hope they give a past (or present if they can pull it off) Vice City/Project Americas the "IV" treatment/RDR treatment. This time with two cities and a countryside but with a more serious and grounded story. I too feel there are enough talented people still at Rockstar to ensure it doesn't veer off the rails. Dan Houser will have likely had a major input in VI already anyhow. Regarding single player, Rockstar are frustrating (always have been) but they know not to abandon single player. 

Regarding V, I know its been done to death but its the first GTA where I don't want to see cameos from any character in VI. I don't feel a connection to any of them.

Edited by Patrizio
  • Like 2

I think it’s most likely that they will switch the focus around, with Online being the main focus. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there was no main protagonist but they expanded the single player content you could do with your created online character and called that single player mode. 

On 12/6/2020 at 2:38 AM, DexMacLeod said:

I imagine it'll work the same as GTA V and RDR2. A solid single player experience with an online mode that gets all of their attention post launch. I'd love to see them find a way to cater to both single player and multiplayer fanbases but it seems incredibly unlikely. 

Why would you think no money could be made in single player? 

If they pull off a quality single player mode like they did in RDR2, then I'd be fine - no problem for me if they want to focus on Online after the inital SP release. But I don't want to have another unfinished, rushed, half-assed mess like the SP mode of GTA V.

Due to RDR2 I haven't given up all hopes for GTA VI yet. Still worried, though.

Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 2
Dimitry Rascalov
8 hours ago, Patrizio said:

Having watched a few videos of IV recently, I hope they give a past (or present if they can pull it off) Vice City/Project Americas the "IV" treatment/RDR treatment. This time with two cities and a countryside but with a more serious and grounded story. I too feel there are enough talented people still at Rockstar to ensure it doesn't veer off the rails. Dan Houser will have likely had a major input in VI already anyhow. Regarding single player, Rockstar are frustrating (always have been) but they know not to abandon single player. 

Regarding V, I know its been done to death but its the first GTA where I don't want to see cameos from any character in VI. I don't feel a connection to any of them.

There really wasn't any connection to them, they were all kind of ridiculous, you can't connect to a gang banger as they have no depth, Trevor was a white trash insane meth addict no connection there, then Michael was a rat for the government, nothing to connect too. Then there wasn't any substance to the story just cartoon heists which you basically just move through the missions just to get to the next heist with no real connection to anything.

3 hours ago, Dimitry Rascalov said:

There really wasn't any connection to them, they were all kind of ridiculous, you can't connect to a gang banger as they have no depth, Trevor was a white trash insane meth addict no connection there, then Michael was a rat for the government, nothing to connect too. Then there wasn't any substance to the story just cartoon heists which you basically just move through the missions just to get to the next heist with no real connection to anything.

I could relate to Franklin's desire to improve his life. He's essentially anyone who's ever worked an entry level job, living paycheck to paycheck, and trying to prove they deserve a promotion.

With Michael I could relate to the desire to bond with family and feeling like you need to protect them even if they don't necessarily deserve your loyalty. I could also relate to the aspect of him having given up on his dreams and giving in to the monotony of daily life before getting that spark to go out and do stuff again.

Trevor, yeah, not so much. I could kind of relate to his whole thing with Brad. Having a friend you want to help but deep down you know it's probably a hopeless cause. I might be projecting a bit there but it's all subjective, either way.

In the end, I thought GTA V's characters had more relatable internal motivations than you generally get from action game characters.

• Like 1

Hah this is so ridiculous that some people even think VI is not gonna have SP. Remember that it's always the singleplayer game that gets all the awards and all the perfect scores, without it the Online counterpart wouldn't get even half as much attention. Rockstar has stated multiple times in recent years that they first and foremost enjoy making singleplayer games and that nothing can replace them. And RDR2 is a good example of a game that has a lot of heart and soul put into, with an overwhelming amount of details to explore and campaign that has more content than some games don't even have even after getting all the DLCs. They could have easily cut a lot of SP content back in 2014/2015 or even later when it was clear that Online is extremely profitable, but they chose not to. Sure, GTAO has indeed drastically change the way Rockstar manages all their studios, but they won't stop making singleplayer games.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t buy it without a single player mode. Story is most important and always will be. There’s no point creating a world without a story to accompany it. 

• Like 3
On 12/6/2020 at 1:59 PM, Dimitry Rascalov said:

Yes, Niko still had plenty of humorous moments.

And that's why he's so beloved. The best thing about Niko is he doesn't even try to be funny.

He just is because he usually makes a remark at the expense of irony unlike sometimes in GTA V where it felt like the "humour" was being forced to be edgy and hip. 

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, 0909090 said:

Hah this is so ridiculous that some people even think VI is not gonna have SP. Remember that it's always the singleplayer game that gets all the awards and all the perfect scores, without it the Online counterpart wouldn't get even half as much attention.

Yeah I’m sure an online only sequel to GTAO, the game that makes 500 million dollars a year, wouldn’t get very much attention 🤣

1 hour ago, Huffin-Puffin said:

Yeah I’m sure an online only sequel to GTAO, the game that makes 500 million dollars a year, wouldn’t get very much attention 🤣

I didn't mean it in this way. Sure a GTA online sequel without SP would be reasonably successful, but GTA Online wouldn't even be popular if it wasn't for the great singleplayer games Rockstar makes (used to make).

Don't take my word for it though, Take Two CEO spoke about the importance of singleplayer campaigns shortly before RDR2's release. Google it. If he acknowledges their importance then it really means something.

Legit question. 2013 I would have said you're nuts but after gtao's history and the changes at Rockstar I can't see how they come up with something new, something fresh for the single player

On 12/6/2020 at 1:38 AM, DexMacLeod said:

I'd love to see them find a way to cater to both single player and multiplayer fanbases but it seems incredibly unlikely. 

why though? what's stopping them from updating both Online and SP?

10 hours ago, Eternal Moonshine said:

why though? what's stopping them from updating both Online and SP?

I mean, there's nothing really stopping them. It's obviously possible for them to do both. I think it's purely a business decision. 

What made Rockstar great for me was always the single player so focusing for something other than that will cause a problem but I think there will be a single player mode and multi-player mode like GTA V and RDR 2

On 12/8/2020 at 11:10 AM, Fake Lilina said:

I really hope they keep singleplayer and have a more serious tone.

They won't go back to a more serious tone after people bitched about GTA IV being too "dark". It will be more like the other GTA's, lighthearted with fairy tale endings

On 12/6/2020 at 3:43 AM, cp1dell said:

GTA V's tone is really not that different from the 3D Era though, GTA was always more cartoony until IV. GTA IV's tone is my favourite but its the exception.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

GTA V's tone is really not that different from the 3D Era though, GTA was always more cartoony until IV. GTA IV's tone is my favourite but its the exception.

People think GTA IV is the standard but it's the other way around actually. My advice: Forget about GTA IV, R* took that idea and transformed it into Red Dead Redemption.

About GTA 6. I'm not sure about anything anymore. Rockstar change a lot recently and we can't say anything for sure. I think the game will have a single player mode and it's going to be great, but the online mode will be a huge part of the experience as well. "Live service" they call it, like in the Avengers game, maybe not as extreme, but I think it is going to happen.