4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

What is it With Griefers and Valentine?

Lady Petrichor

New player in RDR2 Online and new to the forum, so hello all! 

There seems to be an issue with grievers camping around Valentine. I had just saved up gold and purchased my Bounty Hunter license and was riding to Valentine to turn in my first bounty. Not one second after I entered the town was I shot off my horse by a griefer with a sniper rifle on one of the barns. Tried to go get my bounty back and he sniped me again. Just wth? 

Now this isn't my first experience with grievers, especially in Valentine, where they really seem to like to congregate and murder any player who rides in. For no reason! What is it with these people? As for the barn guy, I just went and joined a new session only to be attacked again. I reported the barn sniper, but does that do anything? Because 5 minutes later he was back in the session. 

What can be done about this? I don't attack anyone unless they attack me, I just want to play the flipping game and be left in peace. 

(Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong category! I'm trying to find my way around this place)

Edited by Lady Petrichor
7 hours ago, Lady Petrichor said:

There seems to be an issue with grievers camping around Valentine.

Its been dead there, whenever I get on; I'm off work at 5:30 AM, most kids probably asleep or going to school  ;)

My guess is it is the new $4.99 people. A lot of other people got it out of their system by the time Frontier Pursuits originally came out.

Or it is regular bored players, since you don't get XP to level the new content (bounty hunter beyond level 21, or wheeler rawson beyond level 1 or 2.)

Eventually, it clears up when people are more busy.

7 hours ago, Lady Petrichor said:

I reported the barn sniper, but does that do anything?

Only if there is hacking or something, like if he is a PC player using a forbidden mod (can't do that on consoles.)

So if he is just killing people, then no.

I heard there is a bug right now, where they can lock on to shoot you even if you are defensive? That is Rockstar's fault, of course.

I just got used to avoiding Valentine, back in the day for the reasons you mention. 

There are better areas to get the bounties from, such as Armadillo/Emerald Ranch posters.

Benedict is also good, anywhere with a bounty poster that is kind of out of the way gets fewer players.

They are in Valentine because they know more people go there; it would be boring for him to sit on the roof

of a railroad crossing/whatever,  where a bounty board is.

This is problematic for you, or more so, because you probably don't have the trader camp with the fast travel yet.

That is really the thing to get as fast as you can, for the convenience. Then that kind of becomes your "base." 

Edited by Krommer
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Krommer said:

Its been dead there, whenever I get on; I'm off work at 5:30 AM, most kids probably asleep or going to school  ;)

My guess is it is the new $4.99 people. A lot of other people got it out of their system by the time Frontier Pursuits originally came out.

Or it is regular bored players, since you don't get XP to level the new content (bounty hunter beyond level 21, or wheeler rawson beyond level 1 or 2.)

Eventually, it clears up when people are more busy.

Only if there is hacking or something, like if he is a PC player using a forbidden mod (can't do that on consoles.)

So if he is just killing people, then no.

I heard there is a bug right now, where they can lock on to shoot you even if you are defensive? That is Rockstar's fault, of course.

I just got used to avoiding Valentine, back in the day for the reasons you mention. 

There are better areas to get the bounties from, such as Armadillo/Emerald Ranch posters.

Benedict is also good, anywhere with a bounty poster that is kind of out of the way gets fewer players.

They are in Valentine because they know more people go there; it would be boring for him to sit on the roof

of a railroad crossing/whatever,  where a bounty board is.

This is problematic for you, or more so, because you probably don't have the trader camp with the fast travel yet.

That is really the thing to get as fast as you can, for the convenience. Then that kind of becomes your "base." 

Will do. Thanks for the tip! I'll work on unlocking and progressing in the trader role as soon as I can. 

Hello! 😁

Always stay wary when you see other players blips around you on the map as there are a lot of itchy trigger fingers out there right now, but it should slow down eventually.  @Krommer gave some really good advice.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The main problem right now is all these "4.99$"- kids roaming around in RDO, shooting anything that moves...

(probably due to Cyberpunk2077 server issues, and GTAV "Cayo Perico Heist" player disappointment is a fact.)

So we all have to live with it, and it's only a game...

Edited by roggek
  • Like 1

In the last 24hrs I’ve been shot at in both Valentine & Saint Dennis by an entire Posse and individuals alike, I was in defensive mode both times.

So, I activated Slow & Steady, loaded my explosive ammo and laid waist to the would-be attacking posses.

Edited by aaronBLUEeyes

Well .... Valentine, Blackwater And Tumbleweed are the place where hell can be raised, good rooftops, small alleys (rushers paradise), depending of the point like in Valentine And Tumbleweed, the well-known respawn pattern which are makes easier to grief people with snipers. 

I've fought against some griefers last week and it was a hell, Valentine is the easiest town to a griefer/griefers, a good team of griefers can cover both entrances to the Cumberland Forest side or the Heartlands/Train Station side if they are in the rooftops.

And ...

Never thought i would complain but .... some of/the majority of new players in RDRO are being a nuisance/problem and some of them are like griefers but with less tactic, very annoying and also very persistent.

Saw a posse of 3 Level 13-18 fellas with basic repeaters and shotguns, couldn't care less ... got out of the clothing store, fellas were selling a animal carcass, got in my horse and one of them shot me to the death with the Shotgun.

Respawned and they came after me ... managed to get my Mausers, my Pump-Action and my Lancaster.

Killed them in the back alley in Blackwater, they kept coming in the same place, killed them twice each.

Got to the fast travel post and went to Rhodes to do a daily challenge, did two bounties, saw the notifications of people killing each other.

They went in Rhodes and man ... they got a fight with someone which was pissed enough to spam explosives, fire bottles on them.

In the last 4 days, i was attacked every single day while in missions/hunting and worse, attacked by low level players which can't aim sh*t or shoot anyone which passes close to them, i mean ... they still griefers after all. (One of them put a effort in his character and spent some RL money, fully gold-plated Bolt-Action and Rolling Block, 2 Navy Revolvers and i think i saw a recent jacket which costs gold, yet this fella was in level 19).

I can hold my ground against a posse of them, can and will kill them, but man ... their persistence is so annoying that make the ol' time griefers a more desirable and reasonable fight.

- To the Question:

Do what those guys said above:

- Occasionally check the player's tab to see player blips/names, if a player is pink/dark red and in another part of the map, this can be useful before making some moves or teleporting, also useful to identify griefer posses.

- Always play on Defensive (even with exploits, you will still have a good chance to avoid some non-tryhard griefers and this will be crucial to buy you some time to counter or flee from them).

- Avoid the said cities and play on other part of the map.

- Change the Session.

(Be careful if you fight against NPC's by accident, if you get in trouble, your bounty will rise up and people which are looking for a excuse to kill someone will go after you).

A headache stills a headache.

Edited by DuduLima
3 hours ago, DuduLima said:

- Occasionally check the player's tab to see player blips/names, if a player is pink/dark red and in another part of the map, this can be useful before making some moves or teleporting, also useful to identify griefer posses.

Yep, do you know what I think is real weird?:

The only way to see that when fishing, or even player blips coming near you on the mini map (in lower left hand corner, on Xbox One at least), is to stop fishing/in between casts.

I've always thought that was weird; I mean, if there was any time to see blips coming near you on the mini-map it would be while doing something like fishing.

I've thought that since the beta of online, when of course people would jump you a lot more since they could tell you were just standing there from anywhere on the entire map.

On 12/17/2020 at 2:45 AM, DuduLima said:

- To the Question:

Do what those guys said above:

- Always play on Defensive (even with exploits, you will still have a good chance to avoid some non-tryhard griefers and this will be crucial to buy you some time to counter or flee from them).

- Avoid the said cities and play on other part of the map.

- Change the Session.

(Be careful if you fight against NPC's by accident, if you get in trouble, your bounty will rise up and people which are looking for a excuse to kill someone will go after you).

A headache stills a headache.

I would add to set your online status to offline on XBox/PS (i don't know if it is poosible on PC?), otherwise the griefers can "follow" you even if you change sessions...

Go to the menu (L on PC), scroll down to see the two additional lines and you will notice you are in Offensive mode.   Change it to Defensive.  It will get rid of most of the griefing.

Another option is to use the main menu (P on PC), Online, Free Roam to get a new session/server (over and over if necessary until you no longer get the scumbag).  If you are fast enough you might be able to do it before they kill you, spoiling their griefing.

Note that Defensive mode is very BUGGED:

- If memory serves every time you start the game you will be placed on Offensive.  Manually set it back to Defensive.

- Most stranger missions will set you back to Offensive.   Manually set it back to Defensive.

- Some role missions will set you back to Offensive.  Bounties are safe for this.  Set it back to Defensive.

- There are some ways that the griefers can still mess with you even in efensive.   Keep reporting those Sobs.  It may do nothing, but maybe it does.   At the very least it must be getting logged and giving R* a sense of the problem.  Also, on occasion (unfortunately not always) the game gives you the abilty to file charges with the sherif, which puts a bounty on them and it is satisfying to see them getting hunted and killed over and over.

I do wish R* put their big boy pants on and fixed Defensive mode already.  Besides being annoying these Defensive mode bugs that don't get fixed make their developers and managers look quite incompetent.

Edited by zPhoenix
  • 1 month later...
On 12/22/2020 at 1:25 AM, zPhoenix said:

Go to the menu (L on PC), scroll down to see the two additional lines and you will notice you are in Offensive mode.   Change it to Defensive.  It will get rid of most of the griefing.

Another option is to use the main menu (P on PC), Online, Free Roam to get a new session/server (over and over if necessary until you no longer get the scumbag).  If you are fast enough you might be able to do it before they kill you, spoiling their griefing.

Note that Defensive mode is very BUGGED:

- If memory serves every time you start the game you will be placed on Offensive.  Manually set it back to Defensive.

- Most stranger missions will set you back to Offensive.   Manually set it back to Defensive.

- Some role missions will set you back to Offensive.  Bounties are safe for this.  Set it back to Defensive.

- There are some ways that the griefers can still mess with you even in efensive.   Keep reporting those Sobs.  It may do nothing, but maybe it does.   At the very least it must be getting logged and giving R* a sense of the problem.  Also, on occasion (unfortunately not always) the game gives you the abilty to file charges with the sherif, which puts a bounty on them and it is satisfying to see them getting hunted and killed over and over.

I do wish R* put their big boy pants on and fixed Defensive mode already.  Besides being annoying these Defensive mode bugs that don't get fixed make their developers and managers look quite incompetent.

New RDO player over here, I thought that "Defensive" mode was something like Passive mode in GTA Online, were you display to others like a "Ghost" so no one can harm you. Yesterday some dude in valentine killed me with explosive ammo while I was selling some thing to the butcher, I thought I was safe because as usual, there was a pretty heave battle in the town involving 6 or 7 players, I walked right through the action without a Scratch, but when everyone was respawning that dude shot a nearby player and then it started to shoot at me, I took 3 bullets before dying, but when I tried to retaliate I found that i couldn0t fire back ._.' It was a modder or something? I mean coming from GTA O Im pretty used to hackers and modders, but I thought RDO was "clear" in that aspect. 

53 minutes ago, LunaStrky :3 said:

New RDO player over here, I thought that "Defensive" mode was something like Passive mode in GTA Online, were you display to others like a "Ghost" so no one can harm you. Yesterday some dude in valentine killed me with explosive ammo while I was selling some thing to the butcher, I thought I was safe because as usual, there was a pretty heave battle in the town involving 6 or 7 players, I walked right through the action without a Scratch, but when everyone was respawning that dude shot a nearby player and then it started to shoot at me, I took 3 bullets before dying, but when I tried to retaliate I found that i couldn0t fire back ._.' It was a modder or something? I mean coming from GTA O Im pretty used to hackers and modders, but I thought RDO was "clear" in that aspect. 

Defensive is *intended* to be how you describe it, but as many things from R* it is flawed. 

Dynamite bypasses it.  People can also ram your horse, and I've seen them kill my horse.  Also, the moment you fire back even your flawed protections fall apart.

Basically we can only hope that when they patch the game next they will fix it, but we can't count on it... they don't seem to care much about the quality control of their game.

56 minutes ago, zPhoenix said:

Defensive is *intended* to be how you describe it, but as many things from R* it is flawed.

As usual 🙄

57 minutes ago, zPhoenix said:

Basically we can only hope that when they patch the game next they will fix it, but we can't count on it... they don't seem to care much about the quality control of their game.

Like in GTA, great. Well, at least I know that in Defensive mode I'm not completely safe. Quite good game, just a pitty that flaws like that ruin it a bit.

3 hours ago, LunaStrky :3 said:

As usual 🙄

Like in GTA, great. Well, at least I know that in Defensive mode I'm not completely safe. Quite good game, just a pitty that flaws like that ruin it a bit.

Also, you can be sniped while in your camp, which is supposed to be a safe haven. The only place you're truly safe anymore is the moonshine shack. But even with those sometimes assholes hang out outside the shack waiting for people to show up.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:59 PM, Krommer said:

Yep, do you know what I think is real weird?:

The only way to see that when fishing, or even player blips coming near you on the mini map (in lower left hand corner, on Xbox One at least), is to stop fishing/in between casts.

I've always thought that was weird; I mean, if there was any time to see blips coming near you on the mini-map it would be while doing something like fishing.

I've thought that since the beta of online, when of course people would jump you a lot more since they could tell you were just standing there from anywhere on the entire map.

I hate that, especially since they added Harriet and put her right next to my former favorite fishing spot.  I have been lucky so far, nobody has bothered me yet other than the people by Harriet.

Edited by 4eyedcoupe
15 hours ago, 4eyedcoupe said:

I hate that, especially since they added Harriet and put her right next to my former favorite fishing spot.

Ah yeah, steelhead trout Hennington's stead? ;)

Rock bass is pretty fast there too.

What can be done is realizing PvP is part of the game and learning to deal with it and turning on Defensive mode to at least somewhat alleviate the problem. The game is EXTREMELY lenient on player death though, so it really shouldn't matter if you run across a couple of griefers from time to time. Parley, respawn and walk the 20 feet the game spawned you away. Nothing they can do after that. 

The best thing Rockstar could do would be to increase the penalties of not only death (to make PvP less pointless), but also of killing other players. Killing someone should be an automatic $5 if they press charges, not a measly .50c. Problem is there is zero impact to PvP apart from people just getting bored.