3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

RDR Undead Nightmare is the best horror game that i played

JaeDan 101

i hate horror games. Because they are so boring. They include scary faces, entities, scary SCP's, and scary mythical creatures. But RDR Undead Nightmare is the best. RDR Undead Nightmare is not just horror, its also comedy. There is one mission that a boy zombie liked a hot zombie girl, which is so funny. I havn't seen a scary creature before that fell in-love in a girl creature because she is hot.

I love how Mexico looks like. The plants rot, the sunny weather turns into foggy and rainy, the surfaces is full of zombie bacteria and blood, and the skies isn't normal. Mexico is really dead, and i love it.

How about you, you love RDR Undead Nightmare?

• Like 3

billiejoearmstrong8

I agree, it's awesome. I also really like the blend of horror and comedy, it was just the right way to approach making a zombie cowboy game! I love how you have the original game where the world is serious/realistic and very scenic looking and you get to know all these characters, and then they totally flipped it on its head and you experience the same world and characters with a totally different tone and atmosphere, as well as gameplay. Genius how they made two really different games out of the same basic things and they're both totally awesome. 

• Like 3

Horror "doesn't work on me", okay an occasional jump scare might but in general when i try play horror games or watch horror movies my brain just constantly goes 'lol dude, all this sh*t is so fake what are we even doing here', for that reason i have to agree that the only half decent horror games are those that go for the comedic value. And while Undead Nightmare was pretty great, the true king of comedy 'horror' (that in fairness is quite a stretch of 'horror', but you do constantly turn people into zombies lol) still is stubbs:

If we ever get a zombie DLC for RDR2, please let it be a mix of Undead Nightmare & Stubbs

Also while i doubt its true, i always felt like Michaels "why did i move here" in gta5 was a low key reference, because npc's would say that all the time 😛 

Spoiler

Edited by suicidal_banana
  • Like 1

I love it. While I still wish RDR1 also had a more grounded DLC to complement the relatively realistic game world I still enjoyed the surrealness of Undead Nightmare.

For a genre that’s been done to death (no pun intended) Undead Nightmare managed to freshen it up with a perfect setting for a zombie apocalypse.

I do wonder though why R* haven’t really tapped into horror. Sure there are the Manhunt games with are more psychological than straight horror and this, but with R*’s talent I’d love a full fledged horror game from them along the lines of classic Resident Evil, Silent Hill and so on.

• Like 2

GTA Vice City Signature+Avatar Combo Request | PlayStation Universe

• 1 month later...

also, the trailer is so funny. The voice over in the trailer is like a Haloween Party host in an elementary school

Edited by JaeDan 101
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

In my headcanon, this is the nightmare John had after he came back to Beecher's Hope. I love the dark atmosphere of this game.

• Like 3

billiejoearmstrong8
6 hours ago, Jeansowaty said:

In my headcanon, this is the nightmare John had after he came back to Beecher's Hope. I love the dark atmosphere of this game.

Same! I would even say it's more than just a headcanon and highly likely that they intended it to be seen that way. I like how they made it plausible like that instead of it just being a totally random, "it's RDR but with zombies now for no particular reason". 

It kind of wants me to plug-in the 360 just to finally finish it.

I got it as part of the GOTY edition but never finished it.

🤠🧟‍♂️

i just know I will have to endure the 360 noise for all that time...

Edited by seldo

On 2/12/2021 at 5:21 PM, seldo said:

I've heard that GOTY version has headless zombie glitch whiich makes game impossible to complete. Is that right? I completed my game, because I downloaded as a DLC, but I'm curious.

Edited by kubon352

billiejoearmstrong8
On 2/12/2021 at 4:21 PM, seldo said:

It kind of wants me to plug-in the 360 just to finally finish it.

🤠🧟‍♂️

i just know I will have to endure the 360 noise for all that time...

I had the same problem with the noise lmao, never heard anything like it and I thought the console was going to break. You should install the disc, I did that and it totally stopped the noise (it helps because then it's on the hard drive and isn't loading everything from the disc all the time). 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

billiejoearmstrong8
13 hours ago, kubon352 said:

I've heard that GOTY version has hedaless zombie glitch whiich makes game impossible to complete. Is that right? I completed my game, because I downloaded as a DLC, but I'm curious.

It has it and it's annoying but it doesn't make the game impossible to complete.  It makes saving towns/clearing graveyards impossible when it happens (headless zombies just keep spawning as it doesn't count the ones you killed when they don't have heads) so it's annoying that you have to restart those tasks if it happens while you're doing them. And it also prevents you from saving at a safehouse while it's happening (when you try the screen just goes black and you're stuck and have to turn the console off). 

But whenever it happens all you have to do is reload your save and it'll be back to normal. You can even save with autosave while it's happening (easiest way is by using a horse deed, but any task that causes autosaving will do) and it won't save the glitch or do anything bad to your save. So if the headless glitch happens you just stop what you're doing, autosave and reload. Personally I just never use safehouses to save and always use autosave instead - it means there's no chance of it happening right before you save without you realising and then losing progress when you get the black screen.

It sounds bad but it isn't THAT bad, once you get used to only autosaving and the possibility of sometimes having to restart saving a town or clearing a graveyard it's ok. I completed the game 3 times with the glitch. It just happens from time to time, how often seems to vary but it's generally not that often. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, kubon352 said:

Though it seems like a very serious issue, makes me wonder why they have never fixed this.

Yeah it's ridiculous that it's not fixed when it's an issue on multiple platforms and they certainly know about it. Still it doesn't break the game, it's just irritating when it happens and you have to autosave and reload. 

morestacks4me

Maybe not the best horror game, it's not really about that, but it's the best zombie game maybe

Had some horrible fps(Xbox 360) about a few days ago. Is it because of that freakin burning horse?

dantedenirodeniro

It's not a horror game, maybe it's a terror-like game in some aspects, but not horror. I highly recommend you the recent Resident Evils (RE7 and RE2 Remake), Pathologic 2 (which is one of the most amazing games ever made), and if you don't mind to play the old ones: Resident Evil Remake for the Game Cube (it have remasters for PS4, XONE and PC) and Silent Hill 2 which is probably the best of those. These are survival horrors actually, but they can be a good introduction to horror games that you can play later like Outlast 1 or 2, Cry Of Fear (which is a genius underrated gem), Amnesia The Dark Descent, and, if you manage to have the access, P.T.

• Like 2

Shockwave_NewOrder

I hate horror games. I hate Resident Evil. Tried both Code Veronica X and RE5. gave up on Prey 2017 too.

but i loved Undead nightmare. I wish they would make Undead Nightmare 2 for RDR2. they could have reused some assets from undead nightmare to speed up development. But I guess RDRO seemed more lucrative. After all, who buys singleplayer DLC? 

billiejoearmstrong8
13 hours ago, Shockwave_NewOrder said:

I hate horror games. I hate Resident Evil. Tried both Code Veronica X and RE5. gave up on Prey 2017 too.

but i loved Undead nightmare. I wish they would make Undead Nightmare 2 for RDR2. they could have reused some assets from undead nightmare to speed up development. But I guess RDRO seemed more lucrative. After all, who buys singleplayer DLC? 

Tons of people would buy it but even if every single person who bought RDR2 bought it that still wouldn't make them the profit that online stuff does. It would cost a lot to make and then each person only buys it once, vs online updates that cost virtually nothing to make but net them an unlimited number of microtransactions. It really sucks that this is the case, the single player DLC thing they had going with GTA IV and RDR was so good. 

Shockwave_NewOrder
1 hour ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Tons of people would buy it but even if every single person who bought RDR2 bought it that still wouldn't make them the profit that online stuff does. It would cost a lot to make and then each person only buys it once, vs online updates that cost virtually nothing to make but net them an unlimited number of microtransactions. It really sucks that this is the case, the single player DLC thing they had going with GTA IV and RDR was so good. 

they could add an online mode to Undead nightmare II. kill zombies with your friends. maybe even fight your friends as a zombie.

that cheap and lucrative online mode could have been used to fund the development of creative singleplayer dlc

Edited by Shockwave_NewOrder
  • Like 1

billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, Shockwave_NewOrder said:

they could add an online mode to Undead nightmare II. kill zombies with your friends. maybe even fight your friends as a zombie.

that cheap and lucrative online mode could have been used to fund the development of creative singleplayer dlc

That would be awesome, they should've done it for Halloween. It's annoying because they obviously do still care about single player being good, looking at the amount of care given to RDR2's single player. But I guess when it comes to after that they decided profit wins. It's a shame because there's so much potential for more creativity and to make more out of what they already created with single player DLC.

Shockwave_NewOrder
7 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

That would be awesome, they should've done it for Halloween. It's annoying because they obviously do still care about single player being good, looking at the amount of care given to RDR2's single player. But I guess when it comes to after that they decided profit wins. It's a shame because there's so much potential for more creativity and to make more out of what they already created with single player DLC.

based on notes I read, R* doesn't do single player DLC anymore for the following reasons

-gta EFLC not selling enough, due to being released long after gta4 + only on xbox360 + competition from COD MW2

-some big guy (Benzies) left and a lot of people (from both R* North and R* San Diego) left with in. Leaving them with less experienced personnel. And I guess less personel with intrest in SP dlc.

-a lot of work reworking gta online into something succesfull

-gta online dlc being easier to develop and making a lot of $ with shark cards. much more then an ambitious singleplayer DLC would make. 

-the personnel they had left were all to work on RDR2. and they put a lot of details in RDR2. (much more then a Ubisoft game)

• Like 1