1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Which character is better? Arthur or John?

Which character is better? Arthur or John?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Arthur or John?

3 hours ago, DeltaV20 said:

John was badass on rdr1 but in rdr2 rockstar reskinned John's skin on Arthur, and i don't like ranchers

Whoa do you think so, i thought John was a t w a t in both games. Each too their own i suppose. 

It's an easy Arthur for me.

• Like 1
Big Molio

Hard to choose. I think that they both bring something great to the overall story arc of RDR2 (and then) RDR

TexasOdysseus

I want to play RDR1 again, because now I think it would add more depth to John's character.

But Arthur is so masterfully crafted, his character arc is long, nuanced, and complicated. His redemption comes through his sacrifice to John, and that makes both of them so much deeper characters. I continue to be amazed at the little things Arthur does/says/acts early in the game that reveal his character and evolve. 

• Like 3
Uncle-John

I like both Characters but I feel more emotionally invested in Arthur compared to John even though I think they are both pretty bad ass.

• KEKW 1

Arthur and its not even close. Arthur is overall the most compelling video game protagonist ever for me. He felt like a real person, the VA performance was on another level too

• Like 1

It's obvious that most players will prefer Arthur, because Rockstar purposefully made John unlikable in the sequel, so he wouldn't overshadow the new protagonist.

But I'd bet that most people would change their answers after replaying the first RDR. John's demise felt much more tragic and sudden.

At the end of the original RDR, John was not able to escape his past. He lost his chance of redeeming himself by being a proper family man and securing a good future for Jack. He failed at that because his redemption was cut short and, as a consequence, Jack was doomed to replicate the sins of his father.

Arthur had plenty of opportunities to redeem himself at the end of his life (and he did). He also had plenty of time to come to terms with his own mortality due to his illness.

They're both great, well written, characters, but I really think John's character arc was much more meaningful.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
Algonquin Assassin

Arthur. He’s the only R* protagonist worthy to be sitting on Niko’s insanely high bar alongside him and that’s saying something coming from me.

I like John in both games, but Arthur is something else. During my first play through after Arthur died it felt like losing a close friend or a relative. I was actually depressed, hollow, lost etc to be playing as John. That’s how much Arthur meant to me as silly as that may sound since we’re only talking about a video game.

They’re both great characters with tragic fates, but Arthur simply means more to me on a personal and emotional level.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 6
FanEu7
On 12/22/2020 at 11:14 PM, reeversky said:

It's obvious that most players will prefer Arthur, because Rockstar purposefully made John unlikable in the sequel, so he wouldn't overshadow the new protagonist.

But I'd bet that most people would change their answers after replaying the first RDR. John's demise felt much more tragic and sudden.

At the end of the original RDR, John was not able to escape his past. He lost his chance of redeeming himself by being a proper family man and securing a good future for Jack. He failed at that because his redemption was cut short and, as a consequence, Jack was doomed to replicate the sins of his father.

Arthur had plenty of opportunities to redeem himself at the end of his life (and he did). He also had plenty of time to come to terms with his own mortality due to his illness.

They're both great, well written, characters, but I really think John's character arc was much more meaningful.

Disagree, I replayed the original and still vastly prefer Arthur. John's story was good but most of the game was just him running around doing favours for wacky characters, we only got to know his family in the last arc.

With Arthur its all about the gang since the beginning and his relationship with Dutch is so well done that when it declines it feels really impact. The fall of the gang, Arthur getting sick and finally redeeming himself etc. all that was just better than any arc in RDR1

• Like 1
FortifiedGooner86

Arthur. 

I don't think you can say a bad word about Arthur. I mean, he's got all the attributes you would want in a main character. He's extremely loyal, remorseful, honest, helpful, brave and caring. There's nothing bad to say about him. He's just the perfect R* character and arguably the best ever character in gaming history. I can't say no more. 

John on the other hand. Well, I have mixed feelings about him. In RDR2, John was portrayed as stupid. I mean, some of the decisions he made nearly cost him his life and the gang's life. I get the fact that R* are trying to show us the cycle of how he develops into a man but it went a bit too far in my opinion. The Epilogue and RDR1 John was a lot better though. He matured and took more responsibility for his actions. Don't get me wrong, he still made stupid decisions like that weird stand-off with Bill at the fort but he did man-up a lot. 

Both deaths were tragic. Arthur achieved everything he could in his life and died peacefully on top of a cliff whilst John got betrayed by the Bureau and ultimately died from his gun-shot wounds on the ranch he built. 

Again, I pick Arthur but John is still a great character.

• Like 2
DarkDayz

Both are really great characters. But I feel like the ultra-peak storytelling of RDR2 makes me prefer Arthur tenfold.

• 2 weeks later...
IllregentHUN

I prefer Arthur probably because of the better and more detailed story in the second game. We didn't get to know too much about John in the first one.

• Like 1
Jutland

Arthur Morgan.

Once I’m in the epilogue it feels like I’m back in modern time, full of greyness and compromise. Arthur has already passed into legend.

When I explore the map in the epilogue I continually find the place where I remember Arthur in the story did something, or the shack where Arthur shot so-and-so, or the river where Arthur did whatever; and it feels like the entire goddam map is filled with the ghost of Arthur. 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
guerilla_man

Arthur is funnier then John.

John is funny . But not as funny as Arthur.

Edited by guerilla_man
arthur not John. :(