3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Who's your favorite GTA SA Character?

Danesz

While listening to music, it's just came to my mind to speedthink GTA SA's storyline, and I'm actualy curious about who's your favorit GTA SA Character that you can know from missions except CJ? I'm gonna start off.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20131019114732&path-prefix=hu

My first favorite character is Truth.

I don't know why, but when I first played the game, that hippie, badlands local, narcotic crazy bum feeling and style got me. I like how little we know about him, and his life. All of his missions are mysterious, and his lines and everything always gives me goosebumps.

When he was handstanding, and praying in "Are You Going to San Fierro?" mission's cutscene, I was like "What the actual frick?"

Spoiler

183535-frank_tenpenny.jpg

My second one is Frank Tenpenny. A fine man, I might add. I love movies about cops, so I think this is why I love Tenpenny too. I like his whole character, and I think Rockstar did a very great job on him. I like that he's doing his best to don't let the Police Department know about his corruption, and about Carl Johnson's gang, and rivals. He's that busta that controls Carl to do things, and showing him that he's the boss in the streets. I loved that ending about Frank, it was good to get revenge on him at the very end of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite Character as a kid was Ryder, was a little saddened by what happens in the game, not sure if he was meant to be a traitor like some theory's suggest but I always thought he was the coolest character in the game despite what happens.

• Like 2

TheGodDamnMaster

The Truth by far.

gFNsyFepSNK2dgwT5xpc_nintendo-games-gif_

Intel Core i9-9900k | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
MSI GeForce RTX2070 | WD Blue 1TB HDD | Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower | MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

All fine choices from the poasters above but you have all forgotten the true best character in the game....

Darius Fontaine 

Big Smoke,his ambition to be in control and able to manipulate people to do what he needs them to do while using one of the laws of power of never out shining your leader, with a plan in the back of his mind of how something is gonna benefit him in the long run makes him my favorite gta character.

We thought that big smoke was just a delusional fool but the whole time he was able to use three gangs and LSPD as pawns and made him untouchable for the longest. He played his role and never made CJ too suspicious of anything to make him not trust smoke until CJ saw for himself 

Edited by KingD19

Big Smoke and Tenpenny are the best characters of the game (and my favourite antagonists of the series). Big Smoke is interesting, you don't really expect him to be the bad guy since he is pretty nice to CJ and not a dick like Ryder (his betrayal was more predictable). And even after the betrayal its not really about him hating on CJ, he just wants to be powerful and have a legacy.

Tenpenny is threatening and evil, feel like you never know what will happen when he is around. Having Samuel L. Jackson's badass voice certainly helps

I think it would be better if I make a list, because there are so many of them I like. I won't include CJ on this list, because he's the protagonist and I want to give the side characters some room too. So here are my top 10 characters in the game:

1. Big Smoke: Definitely my favorite character of the whole game. He was a very tragic character with so much depth and was actually nice to CJ, unlike Ryder. He truly did care about CJ and the gang. He was just manipulated by Tenpenny. He's also very funny and has a lovable personality. It was so sad he had to turn on CJ. He could have worked together with CJ and Sweet to take out their rival gangs.
  2. Cesar: He was a great friend to CJ and very loyal to him and his family. Plus he was actually friendly to CJ from start to finish, unlike Ryder.
  3. Catalina: I'm very upset she didn't appear in more missions. She's such an awesome character who's very badass and has such hilarious chemistry with CJ. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think she and CJ should have gotten together. There could have been so much more development from her. Great character who should have appeared more often in the game.
  4. Toreno: Great lines, and an excellent performance from James Woods.
  5. Woozie: The nicest character of the whole game. I like how even though he's blind, he can still show he can fight for his gang when he has to. I love his moments with CJ.
  6. Tenpenny: Best antagonist ever. Also, Samuel L Jackson!
  7. The Truth: Even though he's a stoner, he said the most profound things that were also very funny.
  8. Sweet: I know he gets sh*tted on for his behavior, but I disagree. Sweet's just having a hard time dealing with the loss of two of his family members. Is all. He still loves his brother and sister and does give CJ his respect, unlike Ryder. Plus Sweet has a lot of heart. I respect him for that.
  9. Maccer: I thought he was so hilarious with his boob fetish. lol
  10. OG Loc: I still don't see why so many people hate him. I thought he was the funniest character on the game. His raps suck, but he's definitely a funny entertainer and had the best lines. Plus at least he doesn't talk a bunch of sh*t to CJ, unlike Ryder.

But honestly, I actually thought all the characters in the game were good (except Ryder) and that's one of the main reasons why this game is the best of the franchise IMO. Oh yeah, and CJ is my top 5 favorite protagonist of the series, only being behind Niko in my list.

Lioshenka

My favourite is Toreno. He's got a great personality, he's actually fairly honest for someone who works for that kind of an organisation and willing to do a lot of dirty (literally and figuratively) work himself. Personally, he's also witty and funny, and has some great lines. Mission-wise - his missions are some of my most favourite in the game. I re-played "Monster" a countless number of time. James Woods is also is one of the few sane celebrities in the real life.

Then there's Truth. Largely for the same reasons as Toreno, but he's too much focused on drugs, so I am not very keen on that part of his personality, though R* made it work fairly well within the story and keep in below the appropriate level before it became annoying. But also the conspiracy theories, they are amazing.

Also an honourable mention to Lazlow and Chris Formage. They are likable and funny in this game, and have completely degraded as characters by the time GTA 5 came out.

Edited by Lioshenka
  • Like 3

muvdafucupouttahere

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I always thought Ryder was the best character of the whole game. Because his personality actually blended well with the game's theme. People say he's an asshole. Well no f*cking sh*t! What you expect from a gangbanger from the early '90s? Ryder being an asshole works, because he was a realistic portrayal of the early '90s gangbanger with the charisma that was complementary to the game's theme. He's also very complex and provides a lot of humor. I just wish he was written well in the second act. At least the rewrite version of the storyline fixed his role and made him an even more interesting character.

A close second would be Cesar Vialpando due to his loyalty and dependence to others around him.

Lioshenka
20 hours ago, muvdafucupouttahere said:

Well no f*cking sh*t! What you expect from a gangbanger from the early '90s?

LOL reminded me of this

• Like 4

21 hours ago, muvdafucupouttahere said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I always thought Ryder was the best character of the whole game. Because his personality actually blended well with the game's theme. People say he's an asshole. Well no f*cking sh*t! What you expect from a gangbanger from the early '90s? Ryder being an asshole works, because he was a realistic portrayal of the early '90s gangbanger with the charisma that was complementary to the game's theme. He's also very complex and provides a lot of humor. I just wish he was written well in the second act. At least the rewrite version of the storyline fixed his role and made him an even more interesting character.

A close second would be Cesar Vialpando due to his loyalty and dependence to others around him.

Ryder is great but like you said once the Green Saber mission starts his character becomes lackluster. I mean no one cares that he betrayed CJ and Sweet. He doesn't have any reasons to do that and in general just becomes very one note. His death scene is a joke

• Like 2

Minalessa

Mrs. Philips from I Say You Say. Her lines really remind you of what counts as civilized discussion in the greatest country on earth.

Dr Busta

All of them are great but this guy is my favorite995868e60cd88bd4cca5c74c0c18f463.jpg

• Like 2

There are so many characters that are likeable in this game. My favorite is Big Smoke.

His lines are so funny and does his antagonistic role so well, and he was actually memorable. Wish we had more time with him in the game.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
cardoni

Top 20 my favorite characters

20.OG Loc

19.Jimmy Hernandez

18.Claude

17.Catalina

16.Big Smoke

15.Grove members

14.Little Weasel

13.T-bone mendez