4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

The end of GTA VI as we know it?

B165HOW

The Wolf Man

Asking DLCs for R* titles is honestly a little bit silly. RDR2 core campaign is more complete than many many other games that were updated over time with extra content.

I'd say the same about GTA 5. Even if it's slighty shorter than RDR2 the game still feels more rounded and polished than pretty much every other open-world game that came out after it (with the exception of RDR2 of course). 

If a game needs DLCs to be improved than it's not a great game in the first place. Extra content is supposed to be a "gift" and not a necessity.

• Like 4
FanEu7
1 hour ago, The Wolf Man said:

Asking DLCs for R* titles is honestly a little bit silly. RDR2 core campaign is more complete than many many other games that were updated over time with extra content.

I'd say the same about GTA 5. Even if it's slighty shorter than RDR2 the game still feels more rounded and polished than pretty much every other open-world game that came out after it (with the exception of RDR2 of course). 

If a game needs DLCs to be improved than it's not a great game in the first place. Extra content is supposed to be a "gift" and not a necessity.

Exactly, its weird how people used to complain about DLC but now they are somehow necessary and Rockstar is "greedy" for not doing any. While I would have liked DLC for GTA V and to a lesser extent RDR2 both games are already complete and offer tons of great content.

CoryLVV
2 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

This, RDR2 made it clear that Rockstar still cares about quality SP experiences so this circlejerk about Rockstar not caring about Singleplayer anymore is silly.  Its not like a game needs DLC to be good, RDR2 especially didn't need any.

2 hours ago, The Wolf Man said:

Literally no one said GTAVI needs DLC to be a good game. GTAIV didn't need DLC, the base game was amazing and Nike Bellic is my favorite character to date. But the DLCs expanded the world of LC and gave us more to do after we finished the base story.

FanEu7
6 minutes ago, CoryLVV said:

Literally no one said GTAVI needs DLC to be a good game. GTAIV didn't need DLC, the base game was amazing and Nike Bellic is my favorite character to date. But the DLCs expanded the world of LC and gave us more to do after we finished the base story.

Not GTA VI but plenty complained that GTA V didn't have DLC and how its lacking without them. Hell even with RDR2 (which has even more content than V) people wanted some DLC and acted like Rockstar was greedy to not do it

CoryLVV
1 minute ago, FanEu7 said:

Not GTA VI but plenty complained that GTA V didn't have DLC and how its lacking without them. Hell even with RDR2 (which has even more content than V) people wanted some DLC and acted like Rockstar was greedy to not do it

People complained about V's SP DLC because there was supposed to be SP DLC that was later cut and used in online instead.

FanEu7
34 minutes ago, CoryLVV said:

People complained about V's SP DLC because there was supposed to be SP DLC that was later cut and used in online instead.

That was a dick move no doubt but GTA V still didn't need DLC. It would have just been a nice extra 

TF141

I dont expect it to be like any of the classic GTA's. This is going to be shark card obsessed from the get go

The Wolf Man
2 hours ago, CoryLVV said:

I didn't notice anyone in this thread saying GTA VI needs DLCs to be good, but there's an important amount of people who critizices R* for not releasing single-player DLCs for GTA 5 or RDR2 and I think that's unreasonable.

GTA IV expansions were great but they were almost an entire new game. I think it will be difficult for R* to repeat those kinds of DLCs nowadays and I will fully understand them if they chose not to.

• Like 1
darkdayz
On 11/19/2020 at 5:36 PM, B165HOW said:

I'm not sure a new standalone game is in the making at all. 

We know it is though from the Jason Schreier article back in April.

billiejoearmstrong8
On 1/3/2021 at 5:48 PM, FanEu7 said:

Exactly, its weird how people used to complain about DLC but now they are somehow necessary and Rockstar is "greedy" for not doing any. While I would have liked DLC for GTA V and to a lesser extent RDR2 both games are already complete and offer tons of great content.

Rockstar themselves set the precedent by releasing not one but two extensive DLCs for GTA IV and another for Red Dead Redemption. And then literally said there would be DLC for GTA V but scrapped it/reused it for online once online was so successful. Can't blame anyone for complaining. 

22 hours ago, The Wolf Man said:

I didn't notice anyone in this thread saying GTA VI needs DLCs to be good, but there's an important amount of people who critizices R* for not releasing single-player DLCs for GTA 5 or RDR2 and I think that's unreasonable.

GTA IV expansions were great but they were almost an entire new game. I think it will be difficult for R* to repeat those kinds of DLCs nowadays and I will fully understand them if they chose not to.

Maybe not the exact same type of thing as EFLC but how would it have been difficult to simply release the DLC they'd already planned for GTA V (some of which they recycled for online instead)? If they can create new content (missions, activities etc) for online they could have for SP as well. It wouldn't have made them as much money as the online content but it wouldn't have lost them money either, they still would've made the same big profit from whatever online stuff they released just with a little extra from the SP DLC sales. Not unreasonable to expect a company to still have some level of artistic integrity and thought for their fanbase alongside profit making. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 2
FanEu7
7 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Rockstar themselves set the precedent by releasing not one but two extensive DLCs for GTA IV and another for Red Dead Redemption. And then literally said there would be DLC for GTA V but scrapped it/reused it for online once online was so successful. Can't blame anyone for complaining. 

Maybe not the exact same type of thing as EFLC but how would it have been difficult to simply release the DLC they'd already planned for GTA V (some of which they recycled for online instead)? If they can create new content (missions, activities etc) for online they could have for SP as well. It wouldn't have made them as much money as the online content but it wouldn't have lost them money either, they would've made the same big profit from whatever online stuff they released just with a little extra from the SP DLC sales. Not unreasonable to expect a company to still have some level of artistic merit and thought for their fanbase alongside profit making. 

Yeah and those DLC's didn't sell that well despite being so good and extensive. Can't really blame Rockstar for focusing more on Online instead which makes them a lot more money. But like I said, still a dick move to announce DLC for GTA V and then quietly scrap them.

Overall I think Rockstar still has some level of "artistic merit" and thought for their fanbase, look at RDR2. But they are simply done with SP DLCs now

The Wolf Man
23 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Maybe not the exact same type of thing as EFLC but how would it have been difficult to simply release the DLC they'd already planned for GTA V (some of which they recycled for online instead)? If they can create new content (missions, activities etc) for online they could have for SP as well. It wouldn't have made them as much money as the online content but it wouldn't have lost them money either, they still would've made the same big profit from whatever online stuff they released just with a little extra from the SP DLC sales. Not unreasonable to expect a company to still have some level of artistic integrity and thought for their fanbase alongside profit making. 

So if they released the DLCs on the online mode for free why do people are so frustrated? I had to buy the Complete Edition in 2010 so I could be able to play the expansions for GTA IV.

The thing is, no one out there is taking care of SP as they once used to. I know that companies like CDPR will release free DLCs for for their games, but those DLCs were pretty much finished content that they didn't bother to release on day one. R* will release the game with 100% completion on day one and I think it's better this way.

Edited by The Wolf Man
testarossa 86
1 hour ago, The Wolf Man said:

So if they released the DLCs on the online mode for free why do people are so frustrated? I had to buy the Complete Edition in 2010 so I could be able to play the expansions for GTA IV.

The thing is, no one out there is taking care of SP as they once used to. I know that companies like CDPR will release free DLCs for for their games, but those DLCs were pretty much finished content that they didn't bother to release on day one. R* will release the game with 100% completion on day one and I think it's better this way.

I would assume the frustration mainly comes from the prices and the resources needed to buy/use the content from the DLC itself.

despite the DLCs being free, they still have price tags; each DLC always requires a vehicle/building to start it which can be pricey.

take the Doomsday Heist for example, the apparent story DLC that was cut; it would cost $20 to buy the cheapest facility needed to start the heist.

that's not bad, but then you take all the other vehicles/content within the heist, it would turn out to be over a $100 worth of sharkcards to obtain all the content within the Doomsday Heist DLC.

now, obviously there are many many ways to make money in GTA Online without ever spending a penny; but some do not have the time or patience to grind Online all day, etc

there are many who also want to experience a story that revolves around the 3 main characters again.

even though there's still a decent story with some Online DLCs such as the Doomday Heist, our speechless Online character sort of makes it feel out of place.

those who only enjoy story level content are forced to play Online and worry about having the proper amount of resources needed to buy in each major content update.

then they are also likely to be losing their in-game money over time, between in-game daily services such as paying their utility bill/workers, getting raided by the LSPD, getting blown up by oppressors during supply runs, etc

yes at the end of the day it's all apart of the way Online is and set up to be, but I do understand the frustration of actually scrapping a actual story DLC that was somewhat "promised".

cp1dell
2 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

Yeah and those DLC's didn't sell that well despite being so good and extensive.

Did everyone just forget that they were Xbox exclusive for a while?

• Like 3
FanEu7
31 minutes ago, cp1dell said:

Did everyone just forget that they were Xbox exclusive for a while?

Yeah but they did come out for the PS3+ PC as well. Its weird how they sold poorly, considering GTA is one of the most popular franchises of all time. Rockstar put a lot of effort into them and got burned

billiejoearmstrong8
16 hours ago, The Wolf Man said:

Well I don't play online for one lol. Playing games online costs extra money as a paid subscription and GTA Online sucks. But also the recycled/mangled way it was used online, along with a main aim of just getting people to spend more money on extras to go with it, was surely a much lower quality product than what they would've done with it in SP.

If they'd said from the start the game was complete there'd be less annoyance (although it's sorely lacking in the number of missions and crime based side content which might've been planned to be supplemented by the DLC, so calling it complete as it is might be dubious), it's just the fact there was going to be DLC but it was used for online instead that gets peoples' goat. Nothing to be done now but it was a fair complaint. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
B165HOW
On 1/3/2021 at 10:22 PM, darkdayz said:

We know it is though from the Jason Schreier article back in April.

That article didn't confirm the release of a stand alone game. It stated that the next instalment would be a moderately sized release, with further expansions thereafter. It is possible that that release forms part of an expanded GTA Online universe, and not SP. 

EliteGamer_6
4 hours ago, B165HOW said:

That article didn't confirm the release of a stand alone game. It stated that the next instalment would be a moderately sized release, with further expansions thereafter. It is possible that that release forms part of an expanded GTA Online universe, and not SP. 

I mean he did talk about GTA VI in the podcast after the playstation event, in which he said he expects it to release in 2022-2023. The next instalment was GTA VI that he was referring to becuase in the podcast he said "many people were angry since I said the next GTA won't release for a while."

• Like 1
B165HOW
6 hours ago, EliteGamer_6 said:

I mean he did talk about GTA VI in the podcast after the playstation event, in which he said he expects it to release in 2022-2023. The next instalment was GTA VI that he was referring to becuase in the podcast he said "many people were angry since I said the next GTA won't release for a while."

I hope he's right. 

darkdayz
On 1/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, B165HOW said:

Yes it did though.

One plan that management has laid out for the next game, a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series, is to start out with a moderately sized release (which, by Rockstar’s standards, would still be a large game) that is then expanded with regular updates over time, which may help mitigate stress and crunch.

Edited by darkdayz
  • Like 1
xanoka

now that gta online will be a standalone game, i do see rockstar releasing dlcs/expansions for future installments on gta and red dead.

i believe that rockstar will probably alocate one of it's studios to keep gta online and red dead online up to date with new content and that leaves the other studios to focus on the next main entries on the series

Edited by xanoka