Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

GTA 3 is the one good game not to be skipped.


Saad31

Recommended Posts

My first gta game on pc, played on Windows XP without mods (didn't know about those).

After few years played on Windows 7 and 8.1 with and without mods.

My third gta game on ps2 as well after gta vc and sa.

I threw the ps2 disc in the trash because I thought It was a lame game.

But then played on pc in 2007, loved it to bits.

Fast forward today, I don't love it because GTA IV has taken over my soul.

But I hate it and love it, just like GTA V.

If there is anything I want to say its this that I am glad I ever played this game.

Just that it was and maybe is the one of the golden games on any platforms it released.

If you haven't played it, try it, Its just something you don't want to miss.

Your opinions please.

  • KEKW 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, GTA III is the grandfather of the greatest GTA games, however it isnt perfect as alot of people (including me) has problems with the story, main character and the game itself (it has alot of bugs)

For anyone planning to install GTA III, beware of the bugs that might happen if you have Frame Limiter off, The missions are barebones too so they might be a tad hard, still a great play nonetheless

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
gtafaninwest

When I first got it in Xmas 2001, it blew my mind. Before that, I longed to play games like this. I didn't know anything about GTA or that it even came out until Xmas of that year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell? You threw a PS2 copy in the bin?? 

Please slap yourself for that pal. 

 

When I first played GTA 3 on PS2 many a year ago I was speechless. I don't think I could even function as a human at that moment - frozen in a state of awe. 

To miss GTA 3, you would have to really be what the kids call a "lamer" or have been living under a rock in a state of ignorant inertia. 

GTA 3 is classic and revolutionary. True gamers understand its grand significance. 

 

Edited by vcfan1991
  • Like 3
  • KEKW 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
RenegadeAngel

The more I play it, the more I love it. It has that... magic. On the surface, it's inferior to any other GTA in almost every way and it might be, but it still offers a unique experience. The atmosphere and nonchalant nature of its story is what does it for me. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had a choice between GTA 3 and GTA V, I would pick the former any time, any day.

Also, do you think something will happen in October 2021?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Saad31 said:

If I had a choice between GTA 3 and GTA V, I would pick the former any time, any day.

Also, do you think something will happen in October 2021?

I hope so, though I'm not sure what.

maybe they'll do something on GTA Online, how riveting would that be... :/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Algonquin Assassin

I still think GTA III has an unrivalled atmosphere and tone that yes even GTA IV doesn’t quite have (Almost, but not quite).

 

Sure some of GTA III’s primitive nature pisses me off after playing new games, but pushing that aside it’s still an amazing experience IMO. 

  • Like 3
  • YEE 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
StuntMaster100
13 hours ago, Saad31 said:

If I had a choice between GTA 3 and GTA V, I would pick the former any time, any day.

Also, do you think something will happen in October 2021?

lol gta 3 better than gta 5 really?

 

GTA 3 was good when it came out but can't compare to the other gtas. It has aged badly. The mute protagonist and terrible mechanics don't make it a great game. 

  • Like 2
  • YEE 1
  • KEKW 3
  • excuseme 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
D9fred95

I feel like some players can't get into GTA3 due to it's aged mechanics if they didn't grow up with them. I've played GTA V to death along with other wide open sandbox games, but I can easily go back to GTA 3 and it's like riding a bicycle. 

 

It's a shame because GTA 3 has that same tone of game that many 2000-01 games had where they're kinda finding their footing in a way and it's charming. Games being both pretty simple yet also really grand in scale. You don't really get that tone with a later game like San Andreas. Maybe a bit with Vice City but not San Andreas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
StuntMaster100
31 minutes ago, D9fred95 said:

I feel like some players can't get into GTA3 due to it's aged mechanics if they didn't grow up with them. I've played GTA V to death along with other wide open sandbox games, but I can easily go back to GTA 3 and it's like riding a bicycle. 

 

It's a shame because GTA 3 has that same tone of game that many 2000-01 games had where they're kinda finding their footing in a way and it's charming. Games being both pretty simple yet also really grand in scale. You don't really get that tone with a later game like San Andreas. Maybe a bit with Vice City but not San Andreas.

i grew up with gta 3 but can't get into it these days. Last time i tried playing it was in 2012

 

Let go of nostalgia and see that the game has aged badly. Mechanics don't hold up today. Story is simple and nothing special. 

Edited by StuntMaster100
Link to post
Share on other sites
D9fred95
32 minutes ago, StuntMaster100 said:

i grew up with gta 3 but can't get into it these days. Last time i tried playing it was in 2012

 

Let go of nostalgia and see that the game has aged badly. Mechanics don't hold up today. Story is simple and nothing special. 

I didn't say the game hasn't aged though, it obviously has. I fail to see how the game having aged makes it bad though. It just means other games built on top of the stuff it did right, is that not the natural evolution of game development? In 30 years, after R* finally moves on from GTAO and continues making games that build upon each other, will GTA V be a bad game because it aged alot?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is something about it though.

I do like GTA V but I hate the sounds of other cars, weapon sounds, plot or storyline, cartoonish look,

maybe I will play in the future, maybe I won't.

But to me GTA 3 is like a love letter to simple open world games except its outdated gameplay features,

otherwise its better, and at least small enough to download as well.

I have left it for GTA 4 though, last played in 2019 with mods.

Edited by Saad31
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the two games are really comparable; if you want to go that route on a solely rudimentary basis then V is the obvious choice in terms of what's technically "better", yet I still personally would rather play GTA3 than GTAV any day of the week and in my opinion that makes it the better game. I find it has a better atmosphere than V, and no matter how many vehicles or radio stations they throw into V, nothing will beat smashing the Capital Autos window, hopping in the Banshee and driving away into the dark gritty streets whilst MSX FM blares in the background. Top f*cking tier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JaeDan 101

GTA III sucks to me a bit

the map is too small and Claude doesn't speak

but still, i kept on watching GTA III videos in YouTube and im enjoying it

 

Note: I dont really hate GTA 3 im just saying that GTA 3 sucks a bit

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Paisan™

 

On 11/27/2020 at 4:15 PM, StuntMaster100 said:

GTA 3 was good when it came out but can't compare to the other gtas. It has aged badly. The mute protagonist and terrible mechanics don't make it a great game. 

Fair enough, if thats how you feel. After playing IV and V, I could pop the GTA 3 disc in the PS2 right now with its old and outdated mechanics and have more fun than I would in IV or V. With that being said, I never completed V's singleplayer, I just couldn't get into it, but Online is a bit of fun now and then. IV is a spectacular game that I've played through on PS3 multiple times and always had a blast. 

 

3 > IV > V

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As of today, I love GTA IV, GTA V, GTAVC. GTA 3 is good but has aged terribly in terms of gameplay and other details, otherwise the graphics are good, like GTA VC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The simple straight forward aspect of III makes it the best 3D one to me. Later games focused to much on vapid sh*t that distracts from the GTA-ness of the game. Ooh owning a car. Ooh owning an apartment. Ooh voiced middle-aged f*ckers bickering at each other. I don't need these to enjoy GTA.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Algonquin Assassin
1 hour ago, Yinepi said:

The simple straight forward aspect of III makes it the best 3D one to me. Later games focused to much on vapid sh*t that distracts from the GTA-ness of the game. Ooh owning a car. Ooh owning an apartment. Ooh voiced middle-aged f*ckers bickering at each other. I don't need these to enjoy GTA.

I think it would be a great game to give a Resident Evil 2 style remake to.

 

Its mechanics would need to be overhauled as I've always disliked the shooting, driving etc, but besides that I don't think anything else would need to be touched. There's definitely something appealing about GTA III's simplicity that sets it apart from other games. Not just in the GTA series, but other games of the time.

 

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Yinepi said:

The simple straight forward aspect of III makes it the best 3D one to me. Later games focused to much on vapid sh*t that distracts from the GTA-ness of the game. Ooh owning a car. Ooh owning an apartment. Ooh voiced middle-aged f*ckers bickering at each other. I don't need these to enjoy GTA.

I don't need Side missions to enjoy GTA

I don't need main missions to enjoy GTA

I don't need prober physics to enjoy GTA

I don't need fun to enjoy GTA 

I don't need GTA to enjoy GTA

Jokes aside I see your point GTA 3 was the actual criminal simulator no story no sh*t it's just you doing crimes to earn money to buy weapons to do more crimes to earn more money  to buy weapons to do more crimes

But if every gta  game was like this the series would suck so that's why you shouldn't expect that cuz we already got it and got something similar in GTA 4 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 8:32 AM, AIcatraz said:

Yes, GTA III is the grandfather of the greatest GTA games, however it isnt perfect as alot of people (including me) has problems with the story, main character and the game itself (it has alot of bugs)

For anyone planning to install GTA III, beware of the bugs that might happen if you have Frame Limiter off, The missions are barebones too so they might be a tad hard, still a great play nonetheless

what kind of story and characters were you expecting from game made in 2001?

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, mde3 said:

what kind of story and characters were you expecting from game made in 2001?

Well, lets see the releases in 2001

Conker's bad fur day
Devil May Cry
MAX PAYNE
Metal gear solid 2 
Animal crossing

those are some of the games, if youre asking.

  • KEKW 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AIcatraz said:

Well, lets see the releases in 2001

Conker's bad fur day
Devil May Cry
MAX PAYNE
Metal gear solid 2 
Animal crossing

those are some of the games, if youre asking.

Like what I pointed

GTA was just crimnal life simulator back then so the story of GTA 3 was just you simulating the life of a crimnal and Meeting the mafia, the Traids The Yakuza etc and work for some of them  So you feel like a real crimnal and GTA 3 did its job fine simulating the underworld  but the story itself isn't really there and we don't even know if Claude cares to get Catalina but Claude was just the guy you play as so he can be anyone you want

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, DR:BUSTA said:

but Claude was just the guy you play as so he can be anyone you want

This is what makes it unique of the 3D games. Claude isn't ever meant to have a personality, he's supposed to be a reflection of the player, allowing the player to project their criminal fantasies into an interactive world. Every game after has taken that freedom away from the player and forcing the player to play as a preset character to which the player may not always resonate with. Each passing iteration of the series has gotten more and more restrictive and changed focus from player perspective to the character perspective. This ultimately means we're forced to have to do things like yoga (V), or we have the tank removed because it doesn't fit the character (IV).

Edited by Yinepi
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yinepi said:

This is what makes it unique of the 3D games. Claude isn't ever meant to have a personality, he's supposed to be a reflection of the player, allowing the player to project their criminal fantasies into an interactive world. Every game after has taken that freedom away from the player and forcing the player to play as a preset character to which the player may not always resonate with. Each passing iteration of the series has gotten more and more restrictive and changed focus from player perspective to the character perspective. This ultimately means we're forced to have to do things like yoga (V), or we have the tank removed because it doesn't fit the character (IV).

Yeah that's what makes GTA 3 unique 

But also every game being different later is what made the series unique we played as our own criminal first then we play as all kinds of criminals out there Tommy is like the scarface kind of criminals CJ a chad one , Toni Cipriani the I dunno what the hell he supposed to be,Vic the good guy in a bad man's game and more 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 11:39 PM, OH76 said:

King of GTAs, but still hasn't aged well.

This, its a groundbreaking game but it has aged badly even compared to VC which came out like 1 year later. Its the only GTA game that I have completed just once

 

 

On 12/13/2020 at 4:21 AM, Yinepi said:

This is what makes it unique of the 3D games. Claude isn't ever meant to have a personality, he's supposed to be a reflection of the player, allowing the player to project their criminal fantasies into an interactive world. Every game after has taken that freedom away from the player and forcing the player to play as a preset character to which the player may not always resonate with. Each passing iteration of the series has gotten more and more restrictive and changed focus from player perspective to the character perspective. This ultimately means we're forced to have to do things like yoga (V), or we have the tank removed because it doesn't fit the character (IV).

 

I suppose it depends on what you prefer. I don't really care about the whole "reflection of the player" angle. I can't get invested in the story that way and think preset characters are better.

 

VC only came out one year after 3 and has aged way better and one of the main reasons is Tommy Vercetti who wouldn't be so great if he was a mute and had no real backstory

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Algonquin Assassin
13 hours ago, FanEu7 said:

 

I suppose it depends on what you prefer. I don't really care about the whole "reflection of the player" angle. I can't get invested in the story that way and think preset characters are better.

 

It certainly has its advantages, but I also see it being a product of the time. In 2001 it didn't bother me because I didn't know any better, but after playing games for years with characters that are more complex, have deep personalities etc going back to GTA III with a blank state protagonist who never talks can be jarring.

 

It's also one of the reasons I can't get into RPGs and other games where I'm forced to make my own character. I don't want to play as "me". I want to play as a preset character whether I end up liking them or not. Claude is a half exception because I feel R* tried making him a more definitive character when he showed up in San Andreas.

 

I don't know. I get how it's appealing for some to just be given a canvas and they can project any sort of personality they want, but for me it doesn't create the most compelling story telling. I used to do that when I was a boy playing with action figures, but as an adult? Not so much.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.