4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

[MP] Katabasis

zeko

13 minutes ago, ThatDYOMdude1 said:

I was gonna play Katabasis bruh.

Don't worry though, the missions already posted will still be counted as the story (from mid chapter 2 onwards) but I'm enhancing the first parts such as in chapter 1 and beginning of 2

Spoilers ahead

Spoiler

i feel like the relationship between  lawrence and addilyn are pretty much unexplored and letting het drive away from the plot isn't a good start

Edited by zeko

ThatDYOMdude1
5 minutes ago, zeko said:

Don't worry though, the missions already posted will still be counted as the story but I'm enhancing the first parts such as in chapter 1 and 2

Spoilers ahead

Reveal hidden contents

i feel like the relationship between  lawrence and addilyn are pretty much unexplored and letting het drive away from the plot isn't a good start

Nice

1 hour ago, zeko said:
Spoiler

letting het drive away from the plot isn't a good start

Spoiler

No Addilyn stop, you should be relevant to the story, you should be dying slowly meanwhile Lawrence is doing everything he can to save you, then you suddenly became unrelevant when Lawrence is in prison and now Lawrence like this "Adaline" girl more than you :p

Since you are gonna rewrite the entire MP from the beginning, I decided to drop the WIP review that I made some time ago - and didn't complete unfortunately - in hopes you'll get a different prespective.

Warning: This is regarding the old Katabasis, obviously. 

Spoiler

- pros are cutscenes, effective stealth mechanic, object are used to their maximum potential
- cons are mostly dialogue, plots and characters.
ep1
- Cool first cutscene with a quite believable first person prespective. The rest of the cutscenes are moslty average.
- The gameplay wasn't much, but i do like how you made the building occupied by people in the ground floor. Also some angles you used in the gameplay segment gave a very claustrophobic feeling, which is great!
- The Dialogue is clear for the most part. It had a few spelling/grammar mistakes but nothing that made it incomprehensible. As for the dynamics of the dialogue, I like the first part where they say " you aint getting away this time", I think it's a forshadowing. But the rest of the dialogue have some issues. I don't know if that's intentonal or not, but the dialogue between Lawrence and Addylin sounded like they have not much feelings/emotions for each other, and that they only hook up from time to time. Most of the time it sounds like Lawrence tries to avoid her by any means. Like, after ther had their "fun", he quickly tells her to go home as he doesn't wat to be seen by the neighbours. Also, when he's checking her voicemail and expresses his regret of "accepting her offer".  Lawrence in general strikes me as a cold blooded  schizophrenic sociopath who doesn't have any motives or emotions. I can't say that this can make for a terrible protagonist, but it can affect the choices he will face later, and as a result the direction the plot's gonna take moving forward. So far the first episode indicates that the goal of our "hero" is to meet his lost girlfriend. The problem is that our hero doesn't seem to give a f*ck about her anyways.
Btw i noticed that you reused the line "to the left where nothing is right, or to the right where nothing is left" from Silcence Scream ;)

ep2

- The face to face cutscene was great it really sold the intensity of the situation.
-The dialogue wasn't good. It was clear from the gist of it that they were in conflict, but the vocabulary and lines they used were all over the place and hard to follow. All this talk about the "atmosphere", I just couldn't understand. Also when Lawrence said " well his genitals must be made of bats" ,and then bill said " sorry I dont like blind jokes. I just can't see the point", I mean, I'm glad me and my boy Bill here are sharing the same opinion. Also, the fact that Lawrence told him that he and addilyn are not in a relationship, I think that proves that he doesn't care about her after all. And finally after the last dialogue between bill and lawrence, lawrence mentions that bill will never find addylin and that she's a "goner". And that's just confusing. Maybe addylin and lawrence have plans in store, I think we'll find out later, hopefully.

Good luck on this one

Edited by Aymunz

I played Episode 1, the newest version, and it is hard to overstate how impressed I am. The use of mods, camera angles, sounds and creative gameplay choices make this mission really stand out. Looking forward to playing the rest of the mission-pack. Keep up the good work!

• Like 6

On 3/24/2021 at 11:54 PM, Aymunz said:

"sorry I dont like blind jokes. I just can't see the point"

is the "i can't see the point" a reference to the blind joke thing?

19 minutes ago, Axoez said:

is the "i can't see the point" a reference to the blind joke thing?

You tell me, King of puns 

• 2 weeks later...

The fourth episode has been re-worked into the new storyline.

QUICK LINK

(will add logo later)

ADDITIONS:

- New collectibles, skin and special moves would be unlocked. Video proof is a must.

Potential spoiler? zeko didn't write Lawrence's full name, so I'm just playing it safe, open this box below on your own risk, pretty minor "spoiler" if you ask me, but yeah.

Spoiler

Lawrence's secret nephew
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Lee_Corwin
(Yes, Lawrence's full name is Lawrence Lee Corwin)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The eighth episode has been re-worked into the new storyline.

(Chapter I will be fully released when Episode II and VI are remade)

QUICK LINK

• Like 3

after getting to read through the mission files, i have decided that the entire chapter would be remade except episode 1 and 3.

by that, fixing issues on the story and gameplay; new puzzles to be considered, you get the idea.

32 minutes ago, abdo mot34 said:

Nice Man but why named ''Katabasis''

because it's symbolic to the protagonist.

Just now, zeko said:

after getting to read through the mission files, i have decided that the entire chapter would be remade except episode 1 and 3.

by that, fixing issues on the story and gameplay; new puzzles to be considered, you get the idea.

because it's symbolic to the protagonist.

A'ight man

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
PunishedRaven

Sadly I can't play this, during the prologue after we escape through the window everyone just falls in the water and it gives me a 'mission failed'.

PunishedRaven

OK I was finally able to play it and I'm gonna leave a short review, this is my first time reviewing a DYOM story but since it intrigued me so much I have some (constructive) criticism. Spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

I wanna start off by saying Katabasis has a very unique approach to DYOM storytelling, I am of course talking about the camera angles, it gave me a mix of Resident Evil and Silent Hill with the music and atmosphere. I also noticed you used the TLOU Factions Menu theme which I'm not sure was intentional or not, but I personally loved that choice.

Unfortunately things kinda start to fall apart after a few episodes, this world felt like a more 'realistic' one compared to the usual chaotic-style GTA world, yet we're never given a motive or explanation for the heinous acts the main character commits. I was expecting some plot twist or hidden motive, the bio also said he is some sort of amnesiac/recovering drug addict yet none of this is ever mentioned in the story so the MC is just being an asshole for the sake of it.

Some of the dialogue is kinda awkward at times but I can let that slide since it's not everyone's job to know perfect English, a good story would be reflected in the script yet that's where the issue with the story lies. I don't know what's happening?

Somehow the MC manages to get 15 years in prison for an altercation in his office, this seemed stretched but the idea of going to prison to find someone seemed super interesting. (The MC is being told early in the story he has to go to a prison to find someone, again, no reason is given). However, the story starts to trip over itself as soon as the prison chapter begins. Not once does the MC or anyone else mention having to find this person so again, I have no idea what is going on around me. These random characters are introduced, everyone starts confessing random stuff to the MC for again, no apparent reason. I can't for the life of me think of one reason why that doctor would confess to killing his daughter to the MC, a prisoner, so this was either done to foreshadow a plot twist or for pure shock value.

Overall, it was a unique experience but one that could have been heavily improved upon. I'd personally focus on developing the closer characters a bit more, but this is your story so you should obviously do whatever you like with it. Hope this doesn't come off as harsh, I believe there's potential here.  3/5

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 8:23 PM, PunishedRaven said:

OK I was finally able to play it and I'm gonna leave a short review, this is my first time reviewing a DYOM story but since it intrigued me so much I have some (constructive) criticism. Spoilers ahead:

Reveal hidden contents

I wanna start off by saying Katabasis has a very unique approach to DYOM storytelling, I am of course talking about the camera angles, it gave me a mix of Resident Evil and Silent Hill with the music and atmosphere. I also noticed you used the TLOU Factions Menu theme which I'm not sure was intentional or not, but I personally loved that choice.

Unfortunately things kinda start to fall apart after a few episodes, this world felt like a more 'realistic' one compared to the usual chaotic-style GTA world, yet we're never given a motive or explanation for the heinous acts the main character commits. I was expecting some plot twist or hidden motive, the bio also said he is some sort of amnesiac/recovering drug addict yet none of this is ever mentioned in the story so the MC is just being an asshole for the sake of it.

Some of the dialogue is kinda awkward at times but I can let that slide since it's not everyone's job to know perfect English, a good story would be reflected in the script yet that's where the issue with the story lies. I don't know what's happening?

Somehow the MC manages to get 15 years in prison for an altercation in his office, this seemed stretched but the idea of going to prison to find someone seemed super interesting. (The MC is being told early in the story he has to go to a prison to find someone, again, no reason is given). However, the story starts to trip over itself as soon as the prison chapter begins. Not once does the MC or anyone else mention having to find this person so again, I have no idea what is going on around me. These random characters are introduced, everyone starts confessing random stuff to the MC for again, no apparent reason. I can't for the life of me think of one reason why that doctor would confess to killing his daughter to the MC, a prisoner, so this was either done to foreshadow a plot twist or for pure shock value.

Overall, it was a unique experience but one that could have been heavily improved upon. I'd personally focus on developing the closer characters a bit more, but this is your story so you should obviously do whatever you like with it. Hope this doesn't come off as harsh, I believe there's potential here.  3/5

By the way you're playing an old version of Katabasis, it has been revised for the second time, you played the original.

Edited by Axoez

PunishedRaven
40 minutes ago, Axoez said:

By the way you're playing an old version of Katabasis, it has been revised for the second time, you played the first revision.

Whichever one I played is the only one that worked. If you have a link to the most updated one I'll try but I'm pretty sure it's the one that kept bugging out for me.

• 2 weeks later...

chapter 2 is close to being completed - currently working on the 8th episode of the current chapter

stay tuned guys: 👍

• 2 months later...