Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Made with TAA in mind?


cp1dell

Recommended Posts

cp1dell

Anyone else think RDR2 was made with TAA in mind?

 

I'm noticing bugs with the shadows for example. How grainy they are at certain times, or on certain angled objects, even with Soft Shadows maxed out, or repeating shadows reminiscent of that old Windows bug where a window would create copies of itself as you dragged it around. Soft Shadows are terrible looking in this game.

 

But when you enable TAA it fixes all these issues with shadows for some reason, when strangely enough, it should only affect the edges of objects. Soft Shadows will actually become soft, and not be grainy or have banding issues. The only downside is that if you're enabling TAA just to fix the shadows, you either need to have resolution scaling at 1.5 or greater (if you're playing 1080p) or play at 4K, to retain your sharp image quality before enabling TAA.

 

Has anyone else noticed this, or found a way around these shadow issues? I'm still baffled that the soft shadow effect is even affected by TAA in the first place.

 

EDIT: Here we go, comparison screenshots. These weren't as grainy and terrible as I've noticed in other areas, but the effect is still the same. I included images with 1.5x Frame Scaling and 2x Frame Scaling, but with a still image that will only barely showcase the sharpness difference on things like Arthur's textures. Hell, I'm pretty sure it's only noticeable in gameplay/movement. The main focus should be between Soft Shadows Off, Ultra, and Ultra with TAA enabled. Make note of the soft shadows on the horse, or Arthur's back. Like I said before, it's not as bad in this spot, but you can even notice the difference with the shadows on the rock wall. Now shadow settings are being touched in the third through fifth pictures.

 

Base resolution 1080p

 

Frame Scaling 1.25x

Shadows High

Soft Shadows Off

Spoiler

01Sharp.png

 

Frame Scaling 1.25x

Shadows High

Soft Shadows Ultra

Spoiler

02SharpUltra.png

 

Frame Scaling 1.25x

Shadows High

Soft Shadows Ultra

TAA Medium

TAA Sharpening Default

Spoiler

03TAA.png

 

Frame Scaling 1.5x

Shadows High

Soft Shadows Ultra

TAA Medium

TAA Sharpening Default

Spoiler

04TAA15x.png

 

Frame Scaling 2.0x

Shadows High

Soft Shadows Ultra

TAA Medium

TAA Sharpening Default

Spoiler

05TAA20x.png

 

 

Even with 1.5x Frame Scaling, textures are not as crisp as they can be with TAA. My consensus: If your system can handle the game at 4K (or 1080p 2x Resolution/Frame Scaling) than enable TAA Medium and use the default sharpening value. You won't notice any loss in image quality, and soft shadows will be rendered correctly. If not, just disable soft shadows. Ultra Shadow quality is great looking. The only issue that will remain is this one as pointed out by /u/ttubehtnitahwtahw1 on Reddit. This of course, is only fixed by enabling TAA, which you should only do if you can run the game at 4K.

Edited by cp1dell
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cp1dell said:

Anyone else think RDR2 was made with TAA in mind?

I appreciate that you have brought attention to these issues (I haven't yet played the game). Would you mind posting your 1. Display resolution, 2. Screen size, and 3. Viewing distance (The distance between your eyes and the screen surface)?

 

My current setup includes a very large screen viewed very close-up, and thus visual issues are much more noticeable than on a typical setup. I'm simply curious as to how much your setup differs from mine. Also, this information could help explain things if some people claim that they don't notice a given issue (as they may view a relatively small screen at a relatively high view distance).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Abel Tesfaye

Even the level of detail system is tied to TAA,if you ain't use TAA the lod transition is much more noticable,especially after getting rid of the depth of field in photo mode.I'd say TAA is not a bad choice tbh

Edited by Abel Tesfaye
Link to post
Share on other sites
cp1dell
7 hours ago, Dryspace said:

I appreciate that you have brought attention to these issues (I haven't yet played the game). Would you mind posting your 1. Display resolution, 2. Screen size, and 3. Viewing distance (The distance between your eyes and the screen surface)?

 

My current setup includes a very large screen viewed very close-up, and thus visual issues are much more noticeable than on a typical setup. I'm simply curious as to how much your setup differs from mine. Also, this information could help explain things if some people claim that they don't notice a given issue (as they may view a relatively small screen at a relatively high view distance).

Hell, I’ll find an area later with bad shadows and make some comparison shots so you can see. This is purely an in-game thing. Nothing that screen size or viewing distances would fix.

 

5 hours ago, Abel Tesfaye said:

Even the level of detail system is tied to TAA,if you ain't use TAA the lod transition is much more noticable,especially after getting rid of the depth of field in photo mode.I'd say TAA is not a bad choice tbh

Yeah I noticed that too, as well as that it gives trees a more “full” look whereas with TAA off they all look dead and without leaves.

 

It just sucks because the textures and details are sharp, but TAA destroys that unless you’re playing at 4K or with frame scaling at 1.5 or above with 1080p base resolution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cp1dell said:

Hell, I’ll find an area later with bad shadows and make some comparison shots so you can see. This is purely an in-game thing. Nothing that screen size or viewing distances would fix.

I realize it's an issue with the game. I don't doubt that at all.

 

My point is that many visual issues, from texture resolution, to aliasing, to pop-in, to shadow graininess, etc. are less noticeable/bothersome when a person is viewing a relatively small screen from relatively far away. And contrariwise, a person who is very close to a large screen is much more likely to notice these things.

 

I was simply wondering what your setup is like, so I could have an idea of how much worse these issues might be for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cp1dell
56 minutes ago, Dryspace said:

I realize it's an issue with the game. I don't doubt that at all.

 

My point is that many visual issues, from texture resolution, to aliasing, to pop-in, to shadow graininess, etc. are less noticeable/bothersome when a person is viewing a relatively small screen from relatively far away. And contrariwise, a person who is very close to a large screen is much more likely to notice these things.

 

I was simply wondering what your setup is like, so I could have an idea of how much worse these issues might be for me.

1920x1080

23"

~1' 6"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cp1dell said:

1920x1080

23"

~1' 6"

Thanks. Wow...Yeah, these things are probably going to be even worse for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Abel Tesfaye
16 hours ago, cp1dell said:

Hell, I’ll find an area later with bad

Yeah I noticed that too, as well as that it gives trees a more “full” look whereas with TAA off they all look dead and without leaves.

 

It just sucks because the textures and details are sharp, but TAA destroys that unless you’re playing at 4K or with frame scaling at 1.5 or above with 1080p base resolution.

Yup guess we can't do anything about it except using frame scaling or enabling dsr resolution to completely getting rid of the overall the little blurriness and grainy stuff.Game certainly is a beauty but it can be better with some improving,my biggest complaint is still about the textures and prop models,some of them are quite below the overall average for literally no particular reasons.And the tree and leaves models,why all of the leaves are looking like one-dimensional? I still want a 4k texture pack in the future tbh(and I think with better texture the taa blurriness won't be that annoying too)

Edited by Abel Tesfaye
Link to post
Share on other sites
cp1dell

One thing I’ve noticed is that certain weathers give the shadows a softer look and you cannot notice any grain/low quality, meaning there is something in the timecyc files that controls how defined looking the shadows will look. So once OpenIV allows editing, we should be able to modify each time of day for every weather so TAA is not needed to further soften/blend shadows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 3:43 AM, cp1dell said:

One thing I’ve noticed is that certain weathers give the shadows a softer look and you cannot notice any grain/low quality, meaning there is something in the timecyc files that controls how defined looking the shadows will look.

Is it possible that this effect is a result of a much lower contrast in overcast weather, rather than the result of a specific setting?

 

In an image, normally a greater difference in brightness between light and dark areas will make graininess and/or other artifacts more apparent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cp1dell
17 hours ago, Dryspace said:

Is it possible that this effect is a result of a much lower contrast in overcast weather, rather than the result of a specific setting?

 

In an image, normally a greater difference in brightness between light and dark areas will make graininess and/or other artifacts more apparent.

Possibly. The shadows have a greater opacity during some of these transitions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
KonradGM

i was hoping playting at 1440p would actually fix a lot of sharpness loss, but even though it is slightly better than 1080p it is still bad, i feel i need ot play at 1.5kx scale [with makes it run at 4k on 1440p monitor] to get rid of most of the blurriness, some people say they dont see difference between 4k and 1440p on 27", not sure if its correct maybe it is related to the game itself being just blurry?

 

Like other games i feel are looking a lot better on my 1440p than my 23 1080p but rdr looks like sh*t on both unless upscaled to 4k wither trough internal resolution or dsr

Edited by KonradGM
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
Montana Actual

I play at 1440p also and shadows during something like dominoes at emerald station are terrible. Everything Ultra and there is no fix worth messing with imo. Hey, at least it's not GTA V's terrible pop-ins (which also exist in RDR2, but on the mud and terrain only and is fixable). I just don't understand it. Hopefully with more capable consoles this time around they will be able to fix the draw distance and scaling of such things, because GTA V was technically a 360 game, and RDR 2 was a One game, so maybe the newer consoles will allow them to compensate for their terrible shadow and draw distance f*ckery. Or, ya know, they could just port it properly for PC's... cuz when a 3090 does the same sh*t a 970 does, it's certainly not the hardware.

Edited by Montana Actual
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.