Next-Gen Speculation Thread for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S

videotechx

6 hours ago, MostWantedMVP said:

How has this game not got a next gen version yet?

For improved graphics, play on PC.

ArthurMorgan

I’m not so fussed about graphical enhancements because the game still looks insanely beautiful on PS5, especially with HDR on. However, I’ve recently gotten back into No Man’s Sky and I would absolutely kill for HD Rumble in RDR2. It adds so much to the game.

I legit can't play the PS4 version anymore. It's too blurry man. Even on the PS5 it looks like dogsh*t because of the checkerboarding technique they used. I recently finished up a playthrough on PC at native 4k and the increased clarity was astounding. I'd happily drop another $60 for a PS5 version with nothing more than a resolution bump.

videotechx
7 hours ago, D T said:

I legit can't play the PS4 version anymore. It's too blurry man. Even on the PS5 it looks like dogsh*t because of the checkerboarding technique they used. I recently finished up a playthrough on PC at native 4k and the increased clarity was astounding. I'd happily drop another $60 for a PS5 version with nothing more than a resolution bump.

Yeah, it's super frustrating. I recently switched to the Series X and oh my... It's a day and night difference. I wish Rockstar spent more time on the PS4 Pro version. 

• Like 3

NightmanCometh96

On my first playthrough (which was on PS4 Pro), I found RDR2's implementation of checkerboarding so blurry and distracting that I ended up changing my resolution to 1080p for the last 1/4 or so of the story. Yeah, it was lower res and more jagged, but I found the image "sharper" despite this. I wonder if the Pro version would have looked better had the game simply ran at 1440p instead of the checkerboarded 1920x2160 that R* ended up going with. Running the game at native 4K on PC and Xbox One X/Series X|S is seriously a night and day difference.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hope at the very least we get game boost. It seems like Rockstar completely forgot about this game.

• Like 2

I'm hoping Rockstar's silence means they're cooking up new Remastered/Expanded editions, rather than free performance patches.

I'd happily pay for a revamped graphics engine which supports the new console hardware more natively. See what R* can do with some ray tracing.

... though I suppose, realistically, we'd have heard some kind of rumblings about that by now.

Edited by dandroid

Buddy Hightower

Been playing on series X. It's great but something is off on long distance views. I can see trees swaying in the wind from far far far away, too far away actually. I could'ttell what it was until I used my binoculars and saw that it was the trees blowing in the wind miles (it seems) away.

Ring Dang Do

Had the PS5 for a while now but I still play rdr2 on the PS4 as it just looks too blurry on the PS5 and cartoon like. 

Turning HDR off in the game settings, TV settings, and PlayStation settings is more effort than its worth and much easier to just plug in and play on the PS4.  

Its frustrating though as the load times are much better on the PS5 but currently visually its not worth it. 

On 5/9/2021 at 12:17 PM, D T said:

I'm playing on a PS4 slim(1080p) on a big 4k TV, it doesn't look so pretty, especially when there's lots of foliages, it looks blurry as hell and kinda bad, I can't believe I'm saying this because this game is actually one of the best looking game out there but on consoles it's just too blurry 

• Like 2

LittleJesus
2 hours ago, Orthur The Boah said:

I'm playing on a PS4 slim(1080p) on a big 4k TV, it doesn't look so pretty, especially when there's lots of foliages, it looks blurry as hell and kinda bad, I can't believe I'm saying this because this game is actually one of the best looking game out there but on consoles it's just too blurry 

Oh yes.... I updated to a 4k Oled tv and somehow this is the only game that looks worse, it was my best looking PS4 game on my old HD tv but now I can't make it look pretty, even with the HDR turned off looks extremely saturated.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well next week is Summer Game Fest, I sincerely hope they announced something. Don't want this game left behind on previous gen consoles like RDR1. (I know RDR2 is backwards compatible but still.)

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 5:26 AM, Ring Dang Do said:

Had the PS5 for a while now but I still play rdr2 on the PS4 as it just looks too blurry on the PS5 and cartoon like. 

Turning HDR off in the game settings, TV settings, and PlayStation settings is more effort than its worth and much easier to just plug in and play on the PS4.  

Its frustrating though as the load times are much better on the PS5 but currently visually its not worth it. 

I wonder how? how come the game looks worse on your PS5? it should run the PS4 Pro version so they should look the same, unless you meant the base PS4 in your post.

videotechx

Note that PS5 no longer forces supersampling on 1080/1440p screens, it appears to be an oversight by Sony.

• Like 1

SkymnäsWolf

Mark my words,

We will see Red Dead Redemption II with additional features for Next generation consoles announced this E3 or later this year (release after GTA V E&E)

My expectation is that there will be a bundle with Red Dead Redemption (remade in RDRII engine, same gameplay as RDRII, just the story of RDR) and perhaps an expanded version of Undead Nightmare (additional graveyard survivals, but same story).
The map of RDR I will be added to Red Dead Online (and online will effectively change to the year 1910 or something similar), and the railroads will just be finished. Tumbleweed would still exist but just before the decline. 

Basically we might see something like this:
Standalone (RDRII Enhanced) game sold for $69 on Series S/X and PS5
RDR Remade sold standalone (digital only) for $39 (RDR II Enhanced needed)
RDR Undead Nightmare Enhanced (digital only) for $29 (RDR II Enhanced needed)
Red Dead Redemption Bundle sold for $99 on Series S/X and PS5.
Red Dead Redemption Ultimate Bundle sold for $119 on Series S/X and PS5 (includes Undead Nightmare)
Online Enhanced standalone will be $29, but if you have the bundle or RDR Remade you will get additional items in the game (Exclusive outfits, clothing, weaponry and a few other bonusses)

So basically you can buy the RDRII Enhanced game and then purchase two additional downloadable content packs:
- RDR I remade 
- Undead Nightmare enhanced

If you purchase the Ultimate bundle you would be $20 cheaper. 

*keep in mind that Take2 has 9!!! re-releases in the works, so one of these might very well be RDR1

Edited by ivarblaauw

On 6/10/2021 at 11:12 AM, ivarblaauw said:

Mark my words,

We will see Red Dead Redemption II with additional features for Next generation consoles announced this E3 or later this year (release after GTA V E&E)

My expectation is that there will be a bundle with Red Dead Redemption (remade in RDRII engine, same gameplay as RDRII, just the story of RDR) and perhaps an expanded version of Undead Nightmare (additional graveyard survivals, but same story).
The map of RDR I will be added to Red Dead Online (and online will effectively change to the year 1910 or something similar), and the railroads will just be finished. Tumbleweed would still exist but just before the decline. 

Basically we might see something like this:
Standalone (RDRII Enhanced) game sold for $69 on Series S/X and PS5
RDR Remade sold standalone (digital only) for $39 (RDR II Enhanced needed)
RDR Undead Nightmare Enhanced (digital only) for $29 (RDR II Enhanced needed)
Red Dead Redemption Bundle sold for $99 on Series S/X and PS5.
Red Dead Redemption Ultimate Bundle sold for $119 on Series S/X and PS5 (includes Undead Nightmare)
Online Enhanced standalone will be $29, but if you have the bundle or RDR Remade you will get additional items in the game (Exclusive outfits, clothing, weaponry and a few other bonusses)

So basically you can buy the RDRII Enhanced game and then purchase two additional downloadable content packs:
- RDR I remade 
- Undead Nightmare enhanced

If you purchase the Ultimate bundle you would be $20 cheaper. 

*keep in mind that Take2 has 9!!! re-releases in the works, so one of these might very well be RDR1

I like your optimism but RDR1 remake has been rumoured for so long it seems too good to be true. I am not getting my hopes up because Summer Game Fest was a complete disappointment. At least on Sunday we'll finally get some new game reveals which is something to be excited about!

• 2 years later...
videotechx

Digital Foundry put out a huge video discussing what a next-gen version could offer, they have a modded PS5 console so they can test the game with an unlocked frame-rate. 

• Able to operate at a locked 60fps using the checkerboard rendering mode 
  • Can achieve up to 60-80fps with an unlocked frame-rate cap, with 1080p resolution. This could be a really good use for a potential VRR mode
  • DF thinks PS5 could take on high PC settings for a Quality Mode

Hopefully Rockstar will get this sorted sometime in the future, this is a really huge needed upgrade. 

Malolaat
7 minutes ago, videotechx said:

Digital Foundry put out a huge video discussing what a next-gen version could offer, they have a modded PS5 console so they can test the game with an unlocked frame-rate. 

• Able to operate at a locked 60fps using the checkerboard rendering mode 
  • Can achieve up to 60-80fps with an unlocked frame-rate cap, with 1080p resolution. This could be a really good use for a potential VRR mode
  • DF thinks PS5 could take on high PC settings for a Quality Mode

Hopefully Rockstar will get this sorted sometime in the future, this is a really huge needed upgrade. 

I am convinced that this version will appear, R* will earn a lot from it, players will be happy.
The only question is whether before or after the release of GTAVI?
Personally, I think that a port of GTA4 on PS5 will be released sooner than a port of RDR2.
After all, the D11 performed brilliantly with the RDR port on PS5.

• Like 1

NightmanCometh96
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Malolaat said:

I am convinced that this version will appear, R* will earn a lot from it, players will be happy.
The only question is whether before or after the release of GTAVI?
Personally, I think that a port of GTA4 on PS5 will be released sooner than a port of RDR2.
After all, the D11 performed brilliantly with the RDR port on PS5.

I imagine that a 9th Gen version of RDR2, whether it's a patch or (more realistically) a standalone $60-70 rerelease, would be developed by R* internally, much like E&E was (at least from what I can tell). GTA IV and/or MP3 ports would likely be the projects helmed by Double Eleven; I'm not sure how comfortable R* would be with other devs handling newer iterations of RAGE. Unless Take-Two is gearing up to acquire D11 somewhere down the line and rebrand them as a part of R* proper... 🤔

Edited by NightmanCometh96
  • Like 1

Malolaat
2 hours ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

I imagine that a 9th Gen version of RDR2, whether it's a patch or (more realistically) a standalone $60-70 rerelease, would be developed by R* internally, much like E&E was

Yes I agree.
So with that being said, R* is currently focused on GTAVI, so I wouldn't expect this port any sooner than 2026.
I wouldn't even consider a patch, it's obvious to me that Rockstar will charge $50/60 for this port under the pretext of 4K60, "Ray Tracing" and other improvements.

2 hours ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

acquire D11 somewhere down the line and rebrand them as a part of R* proper... 🤔

Would be great for them! I love this idea

• Like 2

Agent Edward
16 hours ago, Malolaat said:

Yes I agree.
So with that being said, R* is currently focused on GTAVI, so I wouldn't expect this port any sooner than 2026.
I wouldn't even consider a patch, it's obvious to me that Rockstar will charge $50/60 for this port under the pretext of 4K60, "Ray Tracing" and other improvements.

2026? Sh*t, at least we'll have two great games in our hands, this new version of RDR2 and GTA6, I better have some patience until then tho.

facelift365
On 6/9/2024 at 7:30 PM, Malolaat said:

Would be great for them! I love this idea

Would be quite funny as they were founded by two Rockstar employees who wanted to work on different projects

• 4 weeks later...
TryingMyBestFor5Years
Posted (edited)

I would wish for a new version of the game, but every update that Rockstar pushed has broken the story mode in the previous generation versions of the game:

The hair growth and weight gain systems are now broken, and it even reached the point of completely removing content like visual effects (eg. Arthur's binoculars in Old Friends or removing the snow from wagons in the intro cutscene), and removing mechanics as a whole (eg. camp members saying "you're too cold/hot" or the MacFarlane Ranch ladies not saying anything to the player anymore), plus Epilogue is completely destroyed by all the patches Rockstar put out (I won't also mention John's Epilogue model because that's beating a dead horse).

My point is, considering how Rockstar has ruined the current version of RDR2, who's to say a re-release won't also be treated just as badly? I was someone who somewhat felt guilty at not pre-ordering the game, until I saw how much Rockstar broke it with updates, Rockstar would need to step up if they make a current gen version: by fixing the game and resisting the temptation to break the story mode again.

Edited by TryingMyBestFor5Years
  • Like 2