1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Object highlighting, any way to turn it off?

Orlansky

Talking about the bright lighting moving across the surface of bottles and cans and other things that let you know you can pick them up. It could be more immersive if that lighting was removed when in exploration mode to admire the graphics.

This isn't good news. :(

All this time I had been hearing about how unbelievably visually realistic and immersive the game is...and now I hear that interactive objects have highlightings that can't be disabled?

DirtyWindshield
22 minutes ago, Dryspace said:

All this time I had been hearing about how unbelievably visually realistic and immersive the game is...and now I hear that interactive objects have highlightings that can't be disabled?

It's not a big deal, it's really not.

Western Gunslinger
12 hours ago, Dryspace said:

To be fair, compared to the red glow in GTA IV, this isn't that bad

17 hours ago, DirtyWindshield said:

It's not a big deal, it's really not.

Oh.....But--Why would someone look for a mod to remove it if it's not a big deal? I'm not sure, but it seems like what doesn't bother you at all might actually bother another person, to some degree or another.

5 hours ago, Western Gunslinger said:

To be fair, compared to the red glow in GTA IV, this isn't that bad

I haven't succeeded in playing GTA IV yet, but hopefully you're right. Ever since I heard that RDR2 has uncommon visual realism I have been avoiding all imagery so that I can be impressed with it all at once. :colgate:

I basically do that with most games I'm interested in these days, since I have less and less expectation of enjoying the actual gameplay of new releases.

• Like 1
DirtyWindshield
9 hours ago, Dryspace said:

Oh.....But--Why would someone look for a mod to remove it if it's not a big deal? I'm not sure, but it seems like what doesn't bother you at all might actually bother another person, to some degree or another.

I haven't succeeded in playing GTA IV yet, but hopefully you're right. Ever since I heard that RDR2 has uncommon visual realism I have been avoiding all imagery so that I can be impressed with it all at once. :colgate:

I basically do that with most games I'm interested in these days, since I have less and less expectation of enjoying the actual gameplay of new releases.

All I'm saying is that it's not a big deal. You make it sound in your previous posts that you haven't experienced the game... I've played the story 3 times, both on console and on PC, I've been playing games longer than a lot of people on these forums have been alive and I love hardcore modes, and simulations over "arcade" types of gameplay, and while everyone is perfectly entitled to their own opinion, in the grand scheme of things, especially with how good RDR2 is, the glowing items really isn't a big deal. If that's enough to prevent you from playing, then you're missing out, because it truly is a great gaming experience. Don't read too deep into it.

9 hours ago, DirtyWindshield said:

All I'm saying is that it's not a big deal...Don't read too deep into it.

I understand where you're coming from if you thought I had heard this, and suddenly decided the game is a lost cause and not worth playing, but I never said or implied such a thing. I think you may have read a little too deep into my comment. 🙂

I already know that I never appreciate such a thing--moreso the inability to disable it. To this day I can't figure out why BioShock has an option to disable the object glow, when it doesn't do a darn thing, lol.

But as I said to @Western Gunslinger, I hope you're right about its overall effect on the atmosphere.

Edited by Dryspace
  • Like 1

Well I can remove the highlights by picking up the highlighted objects in a room or outdoor area. And keep them in inventory while I hang out in the places cleared of them. But that's work and doing too much work - that could get on a person's nerves.

Just thought of saving the game after picking up highlighted objects to see if they respawn after reloading the save. I'll try it later today. Imagine picking up all highlighted objects on the map then have a final savegame for it. Ok I'm getting a bit silly with that idea but I'll see how far I can get with it assuming highlighted objects don't respawn.

Edit - I'm reading that some objects respawn after 24 hours. But I've never played a reloaded save for more than 12 hours or so. Just need to find out if reloading a save respawns them immediately which I'll test later. Anyway my idea of clearing out the highlighted objects for a savegame is probably not seriously going anywhere.

Edited by Orlansky