Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. The Diamond Casino Heist
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Gtaman_92

If VI is actually in the 80's which year will R* set it in?

Recommended Posts

Gtaman_92

VCS and VC were already set in the mid 80's and setting the game before 1984 would be too early. I  personally think that it will be in 1988.  Nearly every hit 80's songs were released by then and there's a lot of actual events from that time period that R* could parody like the aids crisis, crack epidemic and the Berlin wall situation. What year in the 80's do you all think the game should be in?

Edited by Gtaman_92
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MojoGamer

Francis Sinclair will intend to time travel to 1985 but lightning bolts it to 2020

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Utopianthumbs

Think late 80s, I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between say 88 and 89 but something about 1989 appeals to me, the last hurrah for the 80s as the neon colours fade and a new decade beckons, it fits with if they plan on revisiting the 80s for most likely the last time

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello

1989. The 80's are ending and the colors are fading away. Because it's in 1989 at the end of the 80's they can include all the songs that came out in the 80s too.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 17
  • fir thi bairns 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black_Jesus

1985 is the same year "Party all the time" by Eddy Murphy released and is also the year on that map leak. I think it will be at the end of the 80s and during the 90 and end up being in the early 00's. 

 

 

Edited by Black_Jesus
theories everywhere 😀
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Patrizio

As others have said the end of the 80s when power is shifting from one Colombian cartel to another and Mexico is rising.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merquis

Latin America had very important events in that decade and I can see rockstar satirize examples like the Malvinas war, the beginning of the neoliberal era in Mexico, the end of the dictatorships in all South America, the Peruvian terrorism, the invasion of Granada and Panama and a long etc.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTA-Biker

I'd like to see 1989.It still had that iconic 80s feel,but with the cold war ending,new music genres like alternative rock and gangsta rap appearing,sitcoms which didn't focus on perfect families with no real problems started airing (such as The Simpsons, Married...With Children, Roseanne and Seinfeld),and maybe some other stuff,it would feel different enough from VC and VCS (especially if it would also be set in a different city).Also,as Zello said,they could include pretty much any 80s song in the game.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Original Light

Honestly, I think they have more soundtrack freedom if they set it in the late 1980's - since a lot of good songs came out after 1986 (when GTA Vice City was set). I think if they set it in 1988, that's the sweet spot where you have great soundtrack freedom (selection of almost the entire decade), without the 90's culture - which started to emerge as soon as 1989. 

 

However, my prediction is that the game would probably experiment with time leaps. I'd like to see its story start out in the early 1980's and end in the late 1980's. They can phase in newer cars, newer songs, different fashion and other cultural changes as the time period moves forward (similar to what Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 did). 

Edited by Original Light
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DownInThePMs

89 seems like the most plausible year. A lot of the stuff commonly associated with miami vice-ish miami was present during this time. The drug wars also peaked and the cops and dea were pretty much cracking down on drug lords in around this turn of the decade.

 

You also have plenty of pre-90s musical movements emerging during this time like freestyle, acid house/rave, early Jane's Addiction-ish alternative rock, sample-heavy east coast hip hop from the likes of eric b and rakim and new jack swing to provide some variation in the soundtrack if you get sick of listening to synthpop and hair metal.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Copcaller

I like the idea of the late 80s too 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WanteD1

I just want a white ferrari in 80s :(

 
File:Cheetah-GTAVC-police-front.jpg

Edited by WanteD1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeltaV20

Well, it will became a lot harder for rockstar to make the story set in late 80s bcz they will need to add VC and VCS timeline events and rockstar already placed heavy barriers between universes, And rockstar didn't made any gta set in past time line (HD universe ), Oh well gta 6's story is already completed I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
darkdayz

I think it’ll be over multiple decades. I just love that idea.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gtaman_92
3 hours ago, darkdayz said:

I think it’ll be over multiple decades. I just love that idea.


I think it will be multiple decades too. The first half in the 80’s and the latter half in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heisenberg_

I really don't want VI to take place in the past. It's already been done with Vice City and San Andreas. I never liked the cheesiness of those two games anyway. 

 

It also wouldn't fit the HD Universe which is inspired heavily by modern day cinema and current affairs. I can't help but feel that modern day relevance would be taken away had they make the game take place 4 decades in the past. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello
16 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

I can't help but feel that modern day relevance would be taken away had they make the game take place 4 decades in the past. 

Pttsxh8.jpg?1

16 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

I really don't want VI to take place in the past. It's already been done with Vice City and San Andreas. I never liked the cheesiness of those two games anyway. 

Modern day has already been done with IV and V.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heisenberg_
11 minutes ago, Zello said:

Pttsxh8.jpg?1

Criticising Reagan is old news. Making parallels to Trump wouldn't be too wise either. Their slogans might share similar lexis but to draw a comparison between them would be fallacious at best. I would much rather them not release a game during Trump's presidential term if they're just going to satirise what everyone else is satirising. GTA has always been unique in it's form of comedy and I would like it to stay that way ideally. Criticising Trump would be low hanging fruit. 

 

18 minutes ago, Zello said:

Modern day has already been done with IV and V.

True. But a key element of the HD Universe that wasn't present in the 3D Universe is a sense of basis within a fictional world somewhat grounded within reality or some exaggerated sense of it. Not to say that GTA is heavily realistic, just that the HD Universe is more based on simulating a grittier vision of reality than creating a movie reflective environment like Vice City or San Andreas. Vice City in particular was so heavily based on Scarface that it ruined the game for me because the influences are just that obvious. 

 

In short, I don't want to play Vice City again. I want to play a game that's different with fresh and current inspirations. If they want the game to take place in Vice City, at least give us a vision of it in 2020. Going back to the 80s would be the most unoriginal, least inventive idea ever.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello
14 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

True. But a key element of the HD Universe that wasn't present in the 3D Universe is a sense of basis within a fictional world somewhat grounded within reality or some exaggerated sense of it. Not to say that GTA is heavily realistic, just that the HD Universe is more based on simulating a grittier vision of reality than creating a movie reflective environment like Vice City or San Andreas. 

The HD Universe feels lived in it has a backstory. I want to see the HD Universe in the past and where some of the HD Universe characters came to be in the positions where they are today. I want to see Jon Gravelli at the height of his power, I want to see the UL Paper/IAA Agent making his way up the IAA ladder, I want to see Sammy Bottino's so called empire where he supposedly ran the east coast in the 90s. 

14 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

Vice City in particular was so heavily based on Scarface that it ruined the game for me because the influences are just that obvious. 

 

In short, I don't want to play Vice City again. I want to play a game that's different with fresh and current inspirations. If they want the game to take place in Vice City, at least give us a vision of it in 2020. Going back to the 80s would be the most unoriginal, least inventive idea ever.

They don't have to make it like Scarface. They could easily go for a Narcos feel and and give us a Pablo Escobar type. As well as the feel and tone of the later Miami Vice seasons. Hell they don't even need to focus on Miami either it could be another city in the 80's.

 

 

There was also this

 

The shift from coke

ay6voYd.jpg

 

 

to CRACK!!!!

LTBGx6f.jpg

 

The crack epidemic was in the later part of the 80's and it was more darker and violent in the inner cities.

 

14 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

I want to play a game that's different with fresh and current inspirations. 

I mean V was set in modern day but it was based heavily on Heat a movie that came out in 1995...

Edited by Zello
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heisenberg_
36 minutes ago, Zello said:

The HD Universe feels lived in it has a backstory. I want to see the HD Universe in the past and where some of the HD Universe characters came to be in the positions where they are today. I want to see Jon Gravelli at the height of his power, I want to see the UL Paper/IAA Agent making his way up the IAA ladder, I want to see Sammy Bottino's so called empire where he supposedly ran the east coast in the 90s. 

Part of the charm of meeting characters like ULP and Gravelli is the aura of mystery behind them though. ULP specifically was such a mysterious character and that was appropriate for his occupation as an IAA agent. What made Gravelli so interesting was seeing an old man on the brink of death who had decades of crime history and a dangerous reputation behind him. Niko had no experience with who these characters were previously and therefore neither did the player. To give the player backstory in a prequel that Niko does not have would form a divide between player knowledge and protagonist perspective which could compromise the quality of IV's story and writing. Some details are best left unknown to get the full immersive experience from the overall narrative. 

 

36 minutes ago, Zello said:

They don't have to make it like Scarface. They could easily go for a Narcos feel and  and give us a Pablo Escobar type. As well as the feel and tone of the later Miami Vice seasons. Hell they don't even need to focus on Miami either it could be another city in the 80's. There was also this

 

The shift from coke to CRACK!!!! The crack epidemic was in the later part of the 80's and it was more darker and violent in the inner cities.

To set the game in the past just to replicate a popular TV show or movie doesn't seem like a well-thought out justification to me. If they release a game in the 80s, it's going to be dated and irrelevant by the time of it's launch. It's specifically designed to be dated. What I loved about IV and V was exploring and playing through a fictional narrative in a familiar and modern worldspace that reflects and satirises modern pop culture. I've never cared much about the 80s despite it's over-representation in media today because I'm not living in the 80s. 

 

Red Dead Redemption works because the franchise is heavily based on spaghetti western cinema conventions similar to how the 3D Universe was based on conventions of popular crime dramas such as Scarface. The HD Universe is grounded within the satirisation of modern pop culture while the crime drama inspirations take back seat in the creation of the overall environment. While they are still rather explicitly stated, it's clear that Rockstar are no longer designing landscapes in the image of movie setpieces and if they are it's nothing more than an easter egg or homage. 

 

You are correct in saying that the HD Universe feels more lived in and that's why I enjoy the HD GTA games more than their predecessors. The worlds realised in the HD Universe are more accurate representations of their real life counterparts. To stray away from that design philosophy to pursue a vision of creating a movie environment would have the unforeseen side effect of having the game world be designed like a movie set. 

Edited by Heisenberg_
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello
21 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

To give the player backstory in a prequel that Niko does not have would form a divide between player knowledge and protagonist perspective which may degrade the quality of IV's story and writing. Some details are best left unknown to get the full immersive experience from the overall narrative. 

The same stuff happened in the III era. Claude met with Salvatore, Phil Cassidy, Toni, and all those other characters who were then featured in and expanded upon in prequels that he was not in.

21 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

What I loved about IV and V was exploring and playing through a fictional narrative in a familiar and modern worldspace that reflects and satirises modern pop culture. I've never cared much about the 80s despite it's over-representation in media today because I'm not living in the 80s. 

See I don't want familiar The thing is with modern day we're going to be listening to the same music we listen to everyday in the game (at the time of release) using similar technology, parody sh*t that we deal with right now. I don't know about you but that would get kinda boring for me. I play video games to escape reality not to experience something that I'm experiencing right now.

 

21 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

To stray away from that design philosophy to pursue a vision of creating a movie environment would have the unforeseen side effect of having the game world be designed like a movie set. 

It wouldn't feel like a movie set it would feel like a time capsule.

 

21 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

If they release a game in the 80s, it's going to be dated and irrelevant by the time of it's launch.

So would modern day. It would be dated the day after it releases. Hell even when it's in development 4,5,8?years before it releases it's already dated.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heisenberg_
37 minutes ago, Zello said:

The same stuff happened in the III era. Claude met with Salvatore, Phil Cassidy, Toni, and all those other characters who were then featured in prequels that he was not in.

In the 3D universe the prequels fit the tone of what was being portrayed which was Hollywood-like narrative building that focused on the overall narrative timeline rather than the perspective of the characters involved. In some sense, GTA V returned to this form of storytelling with it's simultaneous protagonist perspectives while also balancing it out with the style of IV's more character perspective driven narrative building.

 

Some of the protagonists in the 3D universe also featured less complexity. Claude didn't have a voice or much of a backstory unlike Niko and the HD protagonists where their origin is a pivotal part of the overall story. 

 

37 minutes ago, Zello said:

See I don't want familiar The thing is with modern day we're going to be listening to the same music we listen to everyday in the game (at the time of release) using similar technology, parody sh*t that we deal with right now. I don't know about you but that would get kinda boring for me. I play video games to escape reality not to experience something that I'm experiencing right now.

Understandable which is why I could definitely see them creating a spin-off in this style rather than a full blown sequel. GTA VI would be expected to live up to the expectations set by IV and V whereas a spin-off can stylistically be whatever it wanted to be as long as it's a GTA game. It gives them much more freedom which I speculate the Houser brothers desire right now (or whenever they start development). 

 

37 minutes ago, Zello said:

It wouldn't feel like a movie set it would feel like a time capsule.

Is it even possible to replicate 1980s Miami as accurately as they can replicate 2020 Miami? In 2020, they could always visit and take photographs of every angle of the geographical layout of the city and base their design around that. Due to the time differences during development and setting, I could predict that setting a game 40 years in the past would be at least partially more of a challenge than setting a game in the present.

 

37 minutes ago, Zello said:

So would modern day. It would be dated the day after it releases. Hell even when it's in development 4,5.8?years before it releases it's already dated.

It depends on how dedicated they are to updating the game. For instance, GTA Online started off in 2013 and is now chronologically set in 2020. 

 

Also a 2, 3, 4 or 5 year difference is still less dated than a 40 year difference.  When GTA IV and V released they were still relevant in the years they released and the years that succeeded them. 

Edited by Heisenberg_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damien Scott
On 10/22/2020 at 12:07 AM, Zello said:

Modern day has already been done with IV and V.

Yet they are so different from each other. VI set in modern day would be different from the previous titles as well.

 

On 10/22/2020 at 1:46 AM, Zello said:

The thing is with modern day we're going to be listening to the same music we listen to everyday in the game (at the time of release) 

You can say that about a game set in the past, we would only listen to songs we've already listened to at least once in our lifetime. Both GTA IV and V introduced me to great modern songs that I would never have listened if I hadn't played those games.

 

Spoiler

 

 

 

Edited by Damien Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Detective Phelps

Everybody's saying late 80s, and I agree (more music, political events, and so on). However, I would prefer the game to start in '79, and to end in around '92. You'd be able to experience the 80s throughout, and see the world change as you progress through the story. This is something R* has done well in recent titles. But let's face it, these were only minor alterations to the map. Making bigger changes to the map and radio stations as the game progresses would be a massive undertaking, but R* loves a challenge!

 

Ngl I would LOVE a remake of the Scarface game, but if we can't get that, I'd love for GTA VI to have a similar theme of building a drug empire. None of that multiple protagonist nonsense, keep that for full expansion packs (which R* will never do because people like spending money on cash cards...).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlexGRFan97

I really don't get the animosity certain people hold towards the idea of VI being set in the past. Sure, you'd limit the appeal of the game for the underaged teens who want to drive their favorite ultramodern soapboxes, but since V is going to get a full release on the ninth gen, couldn't they just go back to V/O if the setting of the present day is that important to them?

 

Unless you include V's brief prologue, it's been 14 years since R* last flirted with the past (or Vice City for that matter). The 3D era was an exaggerated facsimile back when the '80s were still a fond memory for most of the development team. They have yet to visit the past with a colder, more critical eye in the same vein they've made their RDR franchise. Just because it would be set in the past doesn't mean it would play exactly like VC or VCS. There's a lot of different ways to paint the same picture. Otherwise, it would be the fifth title in a row since 2008 to be set in the present. It would essentially be Online with a Story and a change of location, again presuming it's Vice City (with R*'s scouting in Florida seeming to hint towards this). And a satire of the present doesn't last, because the common discussion points made at the time of its development will become forgotten or irrelevant half a decade on.

 

V wasn't really a game set in "2013" Los Santos - all the scouting work was done in 2009 and 10. Same with IV's "2008" New York where most of the scouting was done in 2005. Sure, you're only talking a 3 - 4 year difference (the biggest changes perhaps being the choice of cars which was made independently from the city design), but a lot can happen in that time. New Orleans looked very different in 2004 to any of the following years for obvious reasons.

 

The 1980s (or a similar historic period) would allow them to develop the game differently. The mobile phone mechanic would be gone for a start - if you want to contact someone you have to reach a payphone or send a fax. Updates would be more grounded in reality (i.e. no broomsticks). The atmosphere and look/feel of the game would be markedly different on the whole.

 

I don't think they'd do 1984 or 1986 again. That would be straight-up retreading old ground. They'd do one of three things:

  • Set it at the beginning of the decade, like when Scarface was set (i.e. 1982)
  • Set it at the end of the decade (i.e. 1988)
  • Make a vastly long story with time skips/progression as was shown in Mafia and Driver: Parallel Lines (i.e. starts in the late '70s, progresses on to the modern day)
  • Like 5
  • fir thi bairns 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EliteGamer_6

1880s!!! 

Edited by EliteGamer_6
  • KEKW 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VercettiGuy
4 hours ago, AlexGRFan97 said:

It would essentially be Online with a Story and a change of location,

THIS!

 

I see people on here all the time, claiming "It would be so different, you have no idea!" while also claiming that an 80s setting would be just a VC copy.

 

Seriously, apart from me hating the idea of another modern setting, all things aside, you can not convince me that it wouldn't just be the same as online - which is an instant turn-off for me. I am so sick of this modern day stuff and the online mode for V. 

I need a change in GTA and the past setting is it.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello
On 10/22/2020 at 1:08 AM, Heisenberg_ said:

Is it even possible to replicate 1980s Miami as accurately as they can replicate 2020 Miami? In 2020, they could always visit and take photographs of every angle of the geographical layout of the city and base their design around that. Due to the time differences during development and setting, I could predict that setting a game 40 years in the past would be at least partially more of a challenge than setting a game in the present.

 

 

There are building records that they could look through.  A lot of the buildings in Miami were built before the 80s and are still around. Just include those and don't include any new development that was built later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeltaV20

Rockstar Should put the year 1980 imo because if they put 1984 or 1986,So They will need to cover the gta VC and VCS story and ofc that will not happen because of barriers between 2d/3d and HD universes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WatchTheThrone

1980-1985

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.