1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

GTA crashing my PC

Dowglaslim

Hello, I'm new here. I have a problem that is happening daily: GTA Online is crashing my entire PC system. The computer restarts with no BSOD and no errors in event viewer. It is completely random. Here's what I've done so far:

First I updated my video driver using DDU and checked ALL the motherboard drivers. And then:

1- Checked temperatures, changed thermal paste of CPU and GPU, all looks fine;

2- Checked the integrity of the game files;

3- Reinstalled the game twice, erasing data from documents folder;

4- Did ALL the DISM and sfc/scannow commands that Rockstar support reccomended;

5- Ran Furmark to stress test GPU for hours - no crashes;
6- Ran AIDA64 to stress test the entire system for 3 hours, with 100% CPU load and high load on GPU - no crashes;

7- Ran Memtest86 full memory test - no errors;

8- Reduced a lot of graphic settings in game

Oh, I updated the BIOS too and loaded its default settings.

It is only ocurring during GTA Online - specially when I'm close to La Mesa Arcade - but it also happened in other parts of the map.

I have other high demanding softwares, like X-Plane 11 and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - and It never crashes when I use them.

My config:

i7 8700

32 GB RAM (2x HX426C16FB2/8 and 2x HX426C16FB3/8, Both HyperX 2666 mhz)

GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)
Motherboard AORUS B360M Gaming 3 rev 1.0 Gigabyte

SSD 500 GB (For Windows, XP11 and Flight Simulator)

HDD Toshiba 1TB (for GTA and other stuff)
PSU Corsair CX750M 750W - 1 year and three months of use.

I didn't overclock anything. Please help, this problem is keeping me away from the game, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Dowglaslim said:

Hello, I'm new here. I have a problem that is happening daily: GTA Online is crashing my entire PC system. The computer restarts with no BSOD and no errors in event viewer. It is completely random. Here's what I've done so far:

First I updated my video driver using DDU and checked ALL the motherboard drivers. And then:

1- Checked temperatures, changed thermal paste of CPU and GPU, all looks fine;

2- Checked the integrity of the game files;

3- Reinstalled the game twice, erasing data from documents folder;

4- Did ALL the DISM and sfc/scannow commands that Rockstar support reccomended;

5- Ran Furmark to stress test GPU for hours - no crashes;
6- Ran AIDA64 to stress test the entire system for 3 hours, with 100% CPU load and high load on GPU - no crashes;

7- Ran Memtest86 full memory test - no errors;

8- Reduced a lot of graphic settings in game

Oh, I updated the BIOS too and loaded its default settings.

It is only ocurring during GTA Online - specially when I'm close to La Mesa Arcade - but it also happened in other parts of the map.

I have other high demanding softwares, like X-Plane 11 and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - and It never crashes when I use them.

My config:

i7 8700

32 GB RAM (2x HX426C16FB2/8 and 2x HX426C16FB3/8, Both HyperX 2666 mhz)

GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)
Motherboard AORUS B360M Gaming 3 rev 1.0 Gigabyte

SSD 500 GB (For Windows, XP11 and Flight Simulator)

HDD Toshiba 1TB (for GTA and other stuff)
PSU Corsair CX750M 750W - 1 year and three months of use.

I didn't overclock anything. Please help, this problem is keeping me away from the game, unfortunately.

Do you own the La Mesa Arcade, and do you visit it regularly? What other locations does it crash at? It may just be a coincidence that it crashes more at La Mesa.

But even if there's a problem with the game, it should crash to desktop, not reboot the system without leaving a log.

You could have slightly unstable Ram. I had that too and it bugged me for weeks, but I was lucky enough to get a crash report pointing to unstable Ram.

GTA V is very sensitive to unstable Ram, even if it is just XMP and appears stable everywhere else.

XMP is technically an overclock, only from the factory. But they don't test every single module for 24 hours.

Are you sure your Ram isn't running on XMP? 2666 mhz ram sounds like it's running XMP.

My Ram only runs 2133mhz @ 1.2V on auto settings without xmp.

As for the stress testing, you really need to test longer.

3 hours Aida64 isn't very long for a stress test. Let it run overnight if you can, like 8-12 hours. Same for memtest. Do 10 full passes.

I have had memory errors after 4 hours of testing, just when I thought it was stable, turned out it wasn't. And that was after it had passed 4 times.

Also, some motherboards need to have the Ram set slower if you use 4 slots vs 2. (mine does 2933 on 2 / 2666 on 4) Have you checked the manual for that?

Seems like you've done a lot of good troubleshooting already. Do these problems happen consistently - can you repeat the issue at the same location or could it be "completely random" to the point that it's actually another player in the game crashing yours? 

As you're on PC, that's one of the main things to be aware of and there's quite a few "trigger happy kids" who just like to crash the whole lobby. 

EDIT - there's some good info in the post above too.

Edited by Gaffa

So what I can do to get my RAM stable? Should I go to BIOS and change some kind of profile?

EDIT: I went into BIOS settings and the XMP is disabled.

Edited by Dowglaslim
9 hours ago, Dowglaslim said:

So what I can do to get my RAM stable? Should I go to BIOS and change some kind of profile?

EDIT: I went into BIOS settings and the XMP is disabled.

I'm not sure if your ram is stable or not, it really takes longer than 3 hours to determine that, but Ram stability should be the main focus of your stress testing. I'm not too familiar with Aida64 though, but if it has a memory stress test, run it overnight, for 8 hours, and also run memtest for 8 hours.

If it fails, maybe choose a lower clock speed, set looser timings, or increase the voltage to 1.35 max.

It looks like your memory can run 2666 at 1.2V stock with somewhat loose timings, and XMP uses tighter timings with higher voltage at the same speed.

Edited by AirWolf359

Update:
Ram Memtest86 with 10 full passes with the 4 sticks together for more than 16 hours, and got zero errors.

I will try to activate the XMP and check the results later.

Oh, one thing: GTA is installed on my 5,5 year old Toshiba HDD (7500 rpm), which counts 9636 hours of use and have been turned on 3600 times, according CrystalDiskInfo. But the application says it is Healthy, with 40º C idle temp (the ambiente tem right now is 29°).

I will try to clear some space in my SSD to put GTA on it and check the behavior of the game.

Edited by Dowglaslim
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Dowglaslim said:

Update:
Ram Memtest86 with 10 full passes with the 4 sticks together for more than 16 hours, and got zero errors.

I will try to activate the XMP and check the results later.

Oh, one thing: GTA is installed on my 5,5 year old Toshiba HDD (7500 rpm), which counts 9636 hours of use and have been turned on 3600 times, according CrystalDiskInfo. But the application says it is Healthy, with 40º C idle temp (the ambiente tem right now is 29°).

I will try to clear some space in my SSD to put GTA on it and check the behavior of the game.

Thanks for this info.

And thanks for running memtest, now we can trust your Ram. Please let me know if installing GTA V on the ssd fixes the problem. It is indeed possible for a faulty hard drive to crash a computer, and 5.5 years is a very respectable age for a hard drive. Does the hard drive make noise in particular when loading the game?

Edited by AirWolf359
16 minutes ago, AirWolf359 said:

Thanks for this info.

And thanks for running memtest, now we can trust your Ram. Please let me know if installing GTA V on the ssd fixes the problem. It is indeed possible for a faulty hard drive to crash a computer, and 5.5 years is a very respectable age for a hard drive. Does the hard drive make noise in particular when loading the game?

It crashed again with the XMP profile enabled, just few minutes into the game. Proceeding to reinstall GTA, now in the SSD.

The HDD doesnt make any noticieable noises, AFAIK.

Restarted again, with the game installed on SSD. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. 😔

Edited by Dowglaslim

Sorry if you already tried this, but i didn't see it mentioned: Windows error logs?

Next time your PC decides to randomly restart, the moment it finished restarting:

- Open start menu

- Type "Event Viewer" and click the program it finds

- Look trough all categories and subcategories (give it time to load, it can take a while depending on how old your installation is/how many events its trying to load)

- Look for any errors or warnings (red or yellow stuff) that happened in the minutes leading up to or right after the restart, if there are some look them up with google and/or share them here.

Sure I did... the event viewer point to a Kernel-Power 41 error, stating that the system was restarted without a correct turn off procedure, and showing the following details (sorry for the portuguese, I'm brazilian):

Nome do Log:   System
Fonte:         Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Data:          19/10/2020 22:44:55
Identificação do Evento:41
Categoria da Tarefa:(63)
Nível:         Nível Crítico
Palavras-chave:(70368744177664),(2)
Usuário:       SISTEMA
Computador:    DESKTOP-HHB3456
Descrição:
O sistema foi reiniciado sem um desligamento correto primeiro. Esse erro pode ser causado quando o sistema para de responder, trava ou fica sem energia inesperadamente.
XML de Evento:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>8</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-10-20T01:44:55.8398450Z" />
    <EventRecordID>32270</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-HHB3456</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
    <Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

The event viewer doesnt point to any specific application errors.

Edited by Dowglaslim
  • Like 2

I forgot to ask earlier, but is your nVidia graphics driver up-to-date? Latest version is 456.71.

Download it manually from nVidia.com, don't trust any generic driver updater tools to do it for you.

I found this page on a google search: https://windowsreport.com/kernel-power-41-error-windows-10/

Do not do everything that is listed here, just check for Fast Startup and power settings. (solutions 4 and 5, maybe do 9 too)

And don't download any of the tools/programs they use, you don't need them.

And do not disable your antivirus.

Edited by AirWolf359

Hi AirWolf and everybody!

The problem seems to be gone. I changed the power management for GTA V on Nvidia Control Panel from "optimum" to "best performance" (high power) and set the PC sleeping to "never" under the Windows energy options, and I didn't have any reboots today. I'll keep watching the game stability.

Thank you very much guys for all the efforts and support. I hope this discussion can help others too. Kudos to you all and sorry for my bad english!

• Like 2
On 10/22/2020 at 3:08 AM, Dowglaslim said:

Well, after one entire day without problems, It happened again.

Back to troubleshooting...

Sorry for the late response, quote or tag me (type @ followed by a username to tag somebody) to speed that up ;)

Anyways this will be a bit hard to troubleshoot, as the event is essentially saying "i dont know what happened either", but microsoft docs suggests that it could be a power supply issue and that totally matches the description of "it randomly turns off", the fact that you managed to play longer by changing power settings seems to support that theory even further.

If you didn't see it yet, the below page goes into detail about the EventID 41 restart, they describe a few different scenario's, based on the event details you shared you are having "scenario 3" (you do get a EventID 41 but further details are missing / you dont get any "BugcheckCode" or other stuff we could use to get more info) below is a direct link to scenario 3:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart#scen3

Please read that scenario 3 text carefully (all the way down to and including purple section) and then consider some of the things they mention in slightly different order:

1] Calculate the power needs of your hardware, there are several calculators available for this online, one of the more commonly used ones is https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator IF there is anything overclocked in your PC you need to make sure to provide the changed value's into the calculator as well, it can make a big difference in the final result. Is your power supply strong enough to power all your hardware to its full potential?

2] Disable any sort of overclocks you may have, did that make any difference?

3] Is the power supply overheating? (doubt it / you prolly checked already, but just to be sure check this as best as you can)

4] If none of the above helped, you will have to start looking earlier in the event log, look for a STOP error that happened (shortly) before the restart, hopefully that could give you more details.

Report back here how it goes, if this doesn't get you any further we should at least be able to figure out the problem trough the process of elimination.

On 10/23/2020 at 2:57 AM, suicidal_banana said:

Sorry for the late response, quote or tag me (type @ followed by a username to tag somebody) to speed that up ;)

Anyways this will be a bit hard to troubleshoot, as the event is essentially saying "i dont know what happened either", but microsoft docs suggests that it could be a power supply issue and that totally matches the description of "it randomly turns off", the fact that you managed to play longer by changing power settings seems to support that theory even further.

If you didn't see it yet, the below page goes into detail about the EventID 41 restart, they describe a few different scenario's, based on the event details you shared you are having "scenario 3" (you do get a EventID 41 but further details are missing / you dont get any "BugcheckCode" or other stuff we could use to get more info) below is a direct link to scenario 3:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart#scen3

Please read that scenario 3 text carefully (all the way down to and including purple section) and then consider some of the things they mention in slightly different order:

1] Calculate the power needs of your hardware, there are several calculators available for this online, one of the more commonly used ones is https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator IF there is anything overclocked in your PC you need to make sure to provide the changed value's into the calculator as well, it can make a big difference in the final result. Is your power supply strong enough to power all your hardware to its full potential?

2] Disable any sort of overclocks you may have, did that make any difference?

3] Is the power supply overheating? (doubt it / you prolly checked already, but just to be sure check this as best as you can)

4] If none of the above helped, you will have to start looking earlier in the event log, look for a STOP error that happened (shortly) before the restart, hopefully that could give you more details.

Report back here how it goes, if this doesn't get you any further we should at least be able to figure out the problem trough the process of elimination.

Hi Banana, thanks for the info!

There's nothing on event viewer thak points to an specific error from an application =(
Tried the power calculator and it shows that I should be fine with something around 400W (and I have 750W)
I didnt overclock anything...

is there any reliable way to know the temperature of the PSU?

Thanks again for the help

@Dowglaslim

Strangely enough there's not really any software for checking this temperature, so the best way to test is by holding some kind of thermometer near the back of the pc in the area where the big black power cord plugs in (usually the bottom) as that plugs into your power supply & the same area has the exhaust fan of your power supply, blowing air straight out of the back of the pc trough your power supply.

You should not feel any real heat, a tiny bit warmer then the surrounding air should be fine but at most only a few degrees of temperature difference, if its much warmer compared to the rest of the air near your computer then you can safely assume that the power supply is overheating and that's the cause for all your problems, if its only little to no temperature difference then we should be able to assume your power supply is fine.

Make sure to feel the temperature there not just when the computer works, but also as soon as it randomly shuts down / restarts, it might seem fine when normally using windows but what we want to know is does it get hot when the computer starts acting up?

Report back etc ^^