3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

(Help) GPU not being used to its full potential

GamingWithJumbo

So suddenly GTA 5 started loading extremely slow, and I had been experiencing texture problems. I have attached some images.

loaded the game by spamming esc during the loading screens, aftermath

My laptop is easily able to handle this game on 60fps Ultra settings and it had been running this game good so far but recently (yesterday) I started having these problems and I don't know what to do. The fps had significantly dropped from 60fps to like 20-30fps. Changing the settings did not help, and my fps still remained low (even on lowest settings). Changing the resolution didn't help, the fps still remained like 20fps-30fps. Also, vsync is disabled.

The game loads extremely slow (10-15 minutes loading time), and that shouldn't be a problem for my ssd. Even when the game loads, the textures are missing, and loading them while still ingame takes like 2-3 minutes for them to properly load. My hardware isn't damaged, since I've already done 2 diagnostic tests (including memory and ssd tests) and all of them passed.

Other games do not seem to have this issue. WD2, GTA4, aida64 + heaven benchmark do not show any of these symptoms.

GTA 5 version: 1.0.2060.1
There are no mods installed

There was an error in the event viewer which I think might be of some help, so i'm gonna upload it here

event viewer gta 5 error image

I have removed all of my save files, my profiles, my user music folder, the settings.xml but to no avail.
After that I reinstalled the game, but the issue still prevailed. I even tried downgrading the game version to 1.0.2060.0 but that had the same issue. My gpu isn't overclocked, my cpu isn't undervolted, it does not throttle.

downgraded amd drivers but to no avail.

help

GTA online can load very slowly but its due to rstars servers.

Go into the nvidia or amd settings and make sure that gta is set to use the dedicated gpu.

For Nvidia go to "manage 3d settings" and select "program settings"

Pull up the list "select program to customise" and highlight gta 5.

Make sure it is using the desired gpu, and change if nessesary. AMD is pretty much the same procedure.

What hardware are you actually running?

Edited by MechanicMammal
Just now, MechanicMammal said:

Go into the nvidia or amd settings and make sure that gta is set to use the dedicated gpu.

Make sure it is using the desired gpu, and change if nessesary. AMD is pretty much the same procedure.

It is using DGPU, my hardware is as follows

Laptop: Dell G5 5505

CPU: Ryzen 4600H (6c 12t)

GPU: Radeon 5600M (6GB vram)

Ram: 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz

SSD: sk hynix 512gb nvme

Have you turned off the advanced graphics setting like, extended draw distance etc? those can eat up performance. But that setup should be good for high settings at 1080p by the looks of it, Ultra might be pushing it a bit especially on things like grass.

Please tell me the RAM is in a dual channel config 2 x 4 GB as opposed to 1 x 8, Ryzen cpu's are really nerfed if running in single channel. but it sounds like it should run better regardless.

1 minute ago, MechanicMammal said:

Have you turned off the advanced graphics setting like, extended draw distance etc? those can eat up performance. But that setup should be good for high settings at 1080p by the looks of it, Ultra might be pushing it a bit especially on things like grass.

Please tell me the RAM is in a dual channel config 2 x 4 GB as opposed to 1 x 8, Ryzen cpu's are really nerfed if running in single channel. but it sounds like it should run better regardless.

unfortunately it is not in dual channel, i am looking to upgrade it to 16gb dual in an year maybe, when the warranty expires. also the advanced graphics settings are all off. well i haven't seen any issues at ultra grass, probably 40fps is the 1% low i'd get in a grassy area, which is ok for me

Most laptops you can upgrade the RAM and hardrives etc without effecting the warranty, but not all of them. Check with Dell it is probably ok to do it.

Edited by MechanicMammal
4 minutes ago, MechanicMammal said:

Most laptops you can upgrade the RAM and hardrives etc without effecting the warranty, but not all of them. Check with Dell it is probably ok to do it.

anyway i don't think the issue is of ram here, right?

9 minutes ago, MechanicMammal said:

No it should run ok anyway in single channel you might lose a few fps but nothing huge, the RAM was kind of a side comment and general suggestion.

yeah i was aware of that single channel thing already. but do you think that my problem is hardware related? because some other people told that this might be a hardware problem

If it is running other games fine then its probably not a hardware issue.

Are all non essential background programs turned off?

Edited by MechanicMammal

Only the suggestion I edited into my last comment. And to double check settings both in game and the Radeon settings. If I think of anything else I will post again.

7 minutes ago, MechanicMammal said:

Only the suggestion I edited into my last comment. And to double check settings both in game and the Radeon settings. If I think of anything else I will post again.

thank you for your efforts! better than no help atleast..

• Like 1
On 10/15/2020 at 4:27 PM, MechanicMammal said:

GTA online can load very slowly but its due to rstars servers.

He is in single player with Michael. As much as I like blaming R*, it is not R* servers this time, provided the game lets him log in.

Ryzen 4600h is a APU, with integrated GPU (vega6) maybe the game is trying to run on that. Definitely make sure it runs on the Radeon 5600M

As for upgrading your ram, it should not void warranty, but maybe check with customer support if it's ok for you to upgrade it yourself. And make sure you get the same size and speed for all modules.

Exception code is 0xc0000409. Have you done a google search for that exception code? Have you tried running the game with administrator rights? (right click on shortcut)

It looks like the game is failing to load assets. Since you already did a health check on your ssd, maybe the game has issues accessing protected files. Windows updates sometimes mess up your settings.

Also, C:/Windows/System32/ucrtbase.dll is part of Visual C++ redistributable. Maybe that needs an update too.

Edited by AirWolf359
  • Like 1
On 10/17/2020 at 2:21 PM, AirWolf359 said:

He is in single player with Michael. As much as I like blaming R*, it is not R* servers this time, provided the game lets him log in.

Ryzen 4600h is a APU, with integrated GPU (vega6) maybe the game is trying to run on that. Definitely make sure it runs on the Radeon 5600M

As for upgrading your ram, it should not void warranty, but maybe check with customer support if it's ok for you to upgrade it yourself. And make sure you get the same size and speed for all modules.

Exception code is 0xc0000409. Have you done a google search for that exception code? Have you tried running the game with administrator rights? (right click on shortcut)

It looks like the game is failing to load assets. Since you already did a health check on your ssd, maybe the game has issues accessing protected files. Windows updates sometimes mess up your settings.

Also, C:/Windows/System32/ucrtbase.dll is part of Visual C++ redistributable. Maybe that needs an update too.

I am very sure that the game is using part of my dGPU. although i haven't been able to log into the game at all since this post was made, so i am unable to gather anymore ingame screenshots.

game is running with admin rights, i have that checked in the compatibility tab.

i've done a google search on that code and there was no fix for me. i tried like 20 different solutions (10 at the bare minimum) and the situation didn't develop