4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA VI ""Leaks"" Analysis Thread

nicktestbranch

On 7/8/2021 at 7:08 PM, philipg193 said:

I agree, that Vice City looks way too small. Looks a lot smaller than Los Santos

Same was said about Los Santos and V's map, in general. Appearances can be deceiving. But I think VI's map will include something akin to Cuba or islands like that. Probably Cuba itself, since everything outside of the US in the GTA universe exists as itself.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 6:09 AM, Orthur said:

Yea it looks smaller than the Los Santos portion in GTA V for some reason. And the water bodies are a waste of space and seems like filler, worse than the mountains in the GTA V map.

The general layout looks like V's map too, the small town spread along the map is seem to be doing the same mistake that V's map did with paleto bay. I'd rather have a bigger second city or even another island.

I can see the GTA VI map to be like RDR 2 map with places you can't go and for Rockstar to add more area/map

nicktestbranch
Posted (edited)

7-7-2021 Leaked Map by Anonymous

Map:

Spoiler

HWNOSUG.png

On 7 July 2021, an account came and went as it shared video of yet another alleged GTA VI map, this time showing off the functionality in the pause menu. As we all suspect, it shows off several pieces of a new Vice City map, while keeping respect to the state name of Florida as the original Vice City game did pre-HD era. The video went down and the poster left quickly. I emailed a user who had the video and they gave me the "stabilized" version and the "original yet still censored" version. Both came in handy in terms of context.

This map proved to be a real challenge. I am not a good photoshopper, and I never credit my own work as I rarely feel it's good enough to slap a name on it. This map is no exception to that rule. While my composite of it is a solid work of stitching the map from 12 different frames (9 of which were posted by @Thomas Cavendish much appreciated), there's artistic license in areas of uncertainty when lining up the roads and map in several pieces that are not strictly-scaled. I used Paint.NET to rotate the images like they were a 3D frame and say "good enough" when the image looked flat enough to use. In the end of putting this together, it can be so, so much better and I don't intend to polish it up by much. I will gladly share the PDN and the folder of images I used if anyone is interested in the "raw" files so they can make more accurate interpretations of it.

I'll start with the reasons this map could be real:

Spoiler

- The style, font, and design is quite similar to the GTA V map to the point of near-plagiarism. If an image of this map turned up as the original and was not a real map, then I'd say the author did a decent job with the fake and the effort can't go unnoticed.
- Vice City's location in geographical respect to the real state of Florida again feels realistic with where Rockstar would place it. Even with their artistic vision, they tend to do a good interpretation of their own world and match the landscape. The surrounding towns, cities, swamplands, and rural areas look like a Rockstar interpretation of Florida.
- The video itself is a work of art when watching either version. The stabilized version does a good job of outlining the feature of being able to follow a legend around the map, akin to V's system. Animation of the menu objects as well look legitimate, although it seems to move around the map slightly too fast. That maybe false memory or an accurate guess, I'm not positive on if I'm correct with that one.
- The area names for the most part sound convincing, if not a bit odd. They vaguely remind me of some of the names that were on the RDR II Beta Map in their style. 

WoRUpeG.png

Now for reasons why the map could be a fake:

Spoiler

- The "unexplored" areas probably hide the author's weaker areas on map design, and if they're anything like the rest of the map, they probably don't have interchanges. Shoutout to GTA Forums guys who brought that up, it's a serious concern and belongs as the first reason.
- Both airports I saw (maybe there are more?) seemed a bit too small, as well as too close to the roads around it, and given Rockstar's attention to detail, I highly doubt they would let an international or small airport get away with this: (airport image)

vlA3Rtw.png

qGxIfAL.png

- Speaking of transportation areas, I also didn't see much that indicated a railroad. With what detail we can ascertain from the images though, maybe it's there but it didn't make itself obvious.
- The fonts seem really off in a few areas, and I'm not sure if this is nitpicking, the games already do this, or I am noticing a genuine flaw that should not be overlooked. It also might be deliberate. Notice the italicized M, Y, V, and W and their lowercase counterparts in the locations. Maybe it's clever and I'm talking out of my ass, I'm Rude Nick after all.

WoRUpeG.png

Now for some notes that don't sway my opinion towards a positive or negative, just things that stood out:
- Plastic surgeons are places you can go in the game, along with Salon and Spa. I'm guessing it's an added luxury to customizing the protagonist(s). 
- Smoke shop, I could see this work in a state outside of Florida unless you're purely buying "water pipes," tobacco, or CBD, given that Florida is not a recreationally-legalized state for the almighty Weed.
- Scale-wise, I'm not going to bother using the airport as a ruler this time as I'm not convinced either airport is an accurate measurement. Eyeballing the map, it looks far longer than GTA V's map, and somewhat diverse, but the layout is identical. Cool sh*t on the coast, boring rural or unexplored sh*t in the middle. Would Rockstar make the same mistake twice? Probably.

While I think this is the hardest I've worked on putting a map together and making sense of it, this isn't my best analysis and it is a bit short. I tend to be on the fence with most of my opinions and looking at this, I'm mostly convinced it's a decently-elaborate hoax. I may have wasted several hours of my day into piecing it together, but I wouldn't do it if it wasn't at all fun. You all enjoy map discussion and debate as much as I do, so I imagine the payoff like usual will be fun.

PS: Due to interest on r/GTA6, I'm crossposting my analysis there on my startug account since I don't remember the PW to the nicktestbranch reddit account, just in case proof is required to prove I'm not plagiarizing my writing.

Edited by nicktestbranch
W; credit to Thomas

Great analysis @nicktestbranch 

The best thing going for this map is the creative names for me. The rest is dodgy due to similarities to GTA V.

We shall hopefully find out soon enough!

• Like 2

fib_ufo_small.png

Thomas Cavendish
Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2021 at 3:46 PM, nicktestbranch said:

shout your name and I'll credit you for snapping those

I did that.

by the way, Great job putting all these together.

Edited by Thomas Cavendish

CynicalMexican
On 7/8/2021 at 12:13 PM, Kirsty said:

Great analysis @nicktestbranch 

The best thing going for this map is the creative names for me. The rest is dodgy due to similarities to GTA V.

We shall hopefully find out soon enough!

Another thing that gets me is that the Florida map seems pretty condensed, and implies that Tampa Bay and Orlando are featured.

Which is funny, GTA V wasn't condensed in such a way, who knows.

nicktestbranch
On 7/8/2021 at 3:04 PM, Starbeth said:

@nicktestbranch your analysis is always fun to read. Also, for some reason I always read your stuff in Dan Houser's voice :kekw:

You're not the only one. Ever since I crafted this article based on one of the GTA "leaks" I find myself reading my own content on here and feeling like I talk like Dan Houser. Whenever the cooldown period for name changes happens for me, I'm debating between keeping this name or going Dan von Housing. Given this is already my third name on the site, I'm sure it confuses readers. Arthur Bell was a fun alias, but nicktestbranch feels special all these years later.

I'm not at all bummed if this is yet another fake map, it just means more surprise coming in the future. Analyzing is a lot of fun for myself.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:32 PM, nicktestbranch said:

debating between keeping this name or going Dan von Housing

for some reason I like the sound of nicktestbranch even though houser would be funny  :yee:

Hate to link one of "those" pages but, I think they're onto something :kekw:

fib_ufo_small.png

Volatollotalov
Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2021 at 11:42 PM, Kirsty said:

I have to say that doesn't look like a persuasive argument to me.

There are plenty of questionable features about today's map for sure, and thanks to our resident Rudeboy Nick we can see that some of them appear to be almost critical flaws. Yet to dismiss the difference between the two as "a few changes" seems flimsy to me.

A good starting point might be to think, 'how could a GTA format of map accommodate the type of geography in southern FL?'

The creators of each map must have asked themselves that question and then went to work. From that point onwards, the results branch out into two very different things. On its own, that tweet does nothing to help answer the question about the provenance of today's map.

Edited by Volatollotalov
  • Like 5

nicktestbranch
Posted (edited)

I'm starting to think those guys are really blind or something. Anyway, hoping more get to see the version of the map I stitched. I put one up on r/GTA6 but it's pending approval from mods.

Edited by nicktestbranch
edit

Volatollotalov
Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2021 at 1:17 AM, nicktestbranch said:

I'm starting to think those guys are really blind or something

Is it just me or do I sense a more febrile atmosphere in the GTA community at the moment around leaks? The Henderson output seems to have dramatically reignighted a fire that was smoking but never quite out.

I think we have two very different sides going on here.

On one side, Henderson et al are saying that GTA6 is years away, abandon all hope (and click and subscribe).

On the other side, we have this map leak a few days later that appears to show a very advanced work in progress. Certainly not something four years away.

The second layer of information in that vid, the locations and their names, is in itself a leak all of its own.

I'm not saying that this vid is necessarily the real deal, but I do think that there are two very different narratives going on here, challenging and conflicting with each other to get info out in various formats day by day at the moment.

Edited by Volatollotalov
  • Like 2

AbokommandantPro
Posted (edited)

I guess its going to be an battle which fake map is the best and the most trustable to trick people.

Who's going to win? 

Screenshot-1.png

Edited by AbokommandantPro

On 7/8/2021 at 10:46 PM, evelpod666 said:
E5y5BLZWEAcwbjX?format=jpg&name=900x900

What does it mean? I'm not good on scottish jokes.

Awesome analysis!, I personally don't think the map is legit for the same reasons you mentioned but it's fun speculating about fake maps ;) hopefully the real map never gets leaked so we can all map it out in the mapping thread!

On 7/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, OOI said:

What does it mean? I'm not good on scottish jokes.

Gonnae believes Jim Smith the guy who made that fake map video that he later deleted more than he believes the GTA insiders.

CynicalMexican
On 7/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, AbokommandantPro said:

I guess its going to be an battle which fake map is the best and the most trustable to trick people.

Who's going to win? 

Screenshot-1.png

I trust the one on the right more.

It just seems odd that Rockstar would jam-pack so many cities close to each other. In reality, Tampa isn't particularly close to Miami, nor is Orlando. I would have imagined they'd just focus on Miami and the surrounding areas. It's not like the SF Bay Area and San Diego were squashed into the V map.

Then again, this could be course correction, assuming that R* doesn't want so much empty space and balance things out more.

If so, I'm curious what the outside of the map looks. Maybe we get Mexico City, Rio, another American city (Boston, Chicago, Philly), and hell maybe a Canadian city and some other areas across the continents. After all, this is Project Americas, right? Could also see a story focused on both cocaine trade and the opioid epidemic.

On 7/9/2021 at 6:13 AM, CynicalMexican said:

I trust the one on the right more.

It just seems odd that Rockstar would jam-pack so many cities close to each other.

Even more odd is to pack so many buildings close to each other, they're so close to each other you cant even see roads. The left one could be a GTA map in theory, as it's clearly influenced by GTA V's map and follows R* map style, while the one on the right is nothing like any GTA or any other game map ever.

WhiteHawk95
On 7/8/2021 at 7:50 PM, nicktestbranch said:

Posted my thoughts on the 7-7-2021 map leak in the Maps Speculation thread. I'm hoping people clean it up, it's kind of a neat map for a fake.

As soon as I saw font used in this "leak" - it became clear it's a cheap fake. I mean they either won't apply styles during pre-alpha tests at all or use this "too decorative" font even during concepts. I swear as a designer - no other designer won't even try this font even as one of the variants to test. 

Probably "leaker" thought if they fake VC-map - they should apply the most trivial "Miami Font" from any free font website.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2021 at 4:00 AM, Zello said:

Gonnae believes Jim Smith the guy who made that fake map video that he later deleted more than he believes the GTA insiders.

Ok, I'll bite.

It could be an (early) draft given to the UI teams so they could work on it. The apparent lack of interchanges could be an indication of that.

It's just that some of those thickers lines - that (could) represent highways - just don't make sense in certain parts (e.g. they don't loop or go straight into small areas).

nothing-is-true-everything-is-permitted-39.png

Well, that is until the mod staff arrives ...

EDIT: @Zello Wait, was he just being sarcastic?

Edited by OOI

On 7/8/2021 at 11:42 PM, Kirsty said:

Moved some posts here so people can look at the above post again. The supposed map from the video is from an existing concept lol.

• KEKW 2

nicktestbranch
On 7/9/2021 at 6:13 AM, Spider-Vice said:

Moved some posts here so people can look at the above post again. The supposed map from the video is from an existing concept lol.

The more I look at the two maps side by side, the more I notice just how closely they resemble each other. Either the concept artist accidentally got it right, or someone got really lazy, fogged up half the map, moved a few items, and called it a day. Which one's more likely? ;)

On 7/9/2021 at 4:39 PM, nicktestbranch said:

The more I look at the two maps side by side, the more I notice just how closely they resemble each other. Either the concept artist accidentally got it right, or someone got really lazy, fogged up half the map, moved a few items, and called it a day. Which one's more likely? ;)

While their outline looks similar, the fan made map is better made and has a bigger Vice City area unlike the leaked one which is surprisingly smaller than Los Santos.

Speaking of which, the fan-made map has three small cities in the north, while it doesn't look like the case in the "leaked" map.

Original fan-art map :

Spoiler

Also, someone remade the leaked map and it looks way smaller than it looked.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 4:13 AM, CynicalMexican said:

It just seems odd that Rockstar would jam-pack so many cities close to each other. In reality, Tampa isn't particularly close to Miami, nor is Orlando. I would have imagined they'd just focus on Miami and the surrounding areas. It's not like the SF Bay Area and San Diego were squashed into the V map.

Their maps are always condensed. None of the places in V's map are really that close to LA, either. If they're going for the state of Florida, then it makes sense to have them all condensed, like that. Salton Sea is around 160 miles from LA, for example.

On 7/9/2021 at 1:56 PM, Orthur said:

While their outline looks similar, the fan made map is better made and has a bigger Vice City area unlike the leaked one which is surprisingly smaller than Los Santos.

Speaking of which, the fan-made map has three small cities in the north, while it doesn't look like the case in the "leaked" map.

Original fan-art map :

Reveal hidden contents

Also, someone remade the leaked map and it looks way smaller than it looked.

i saw this too, but just because it "looks small" it doesnt mean it is small (or a fake)

i have the cyberpunk night city map as a poster on my wall, and when i look at it (you can see the city as a grey satelite photo with the roads being yellow) night city "looks small" but try driving from the northern docks of Watson to the south of pacifica or santo domingo, its huge even if the map looks small

GTA3Rockstar
Posted (edited)

Edited by GTA3Rockstar

ppNaW16.png