4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA VI ""Leaks"" Analysis Thread

nicktestbranch

1 minute ago, The Green Goo said:

there's no way they'd choose two Florida cities.

Lol, why not? It should be that way, if they only add ONE city in the main map, it would have the exact same issue as GTA V's map, a bigass island with a pointless countryside as there is only one major place, it's boring, they should go Miami-Tampa all the way.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zapper said:

Tbh Miami, Cuba and Colombia makes much more sense than Miami, Cuba and Rio although if Rockstar wants to do it real world distance wouldn't hold them back.

I thought it would be Colombia too, but the similarities between the southern island and Rio are too strong to ignore IMO.

5 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

Lol, why not? It should be that way, if they only add ONE city in the main map, it would have the exact same issue as GTA V's map, a bigass island with a pointless countryside as there is only one major place, it's boring, they should go Miami-Tampa all the way.

There's a smaller "Gulf Coast" town that could be inspired by a number of places (Naples, Fort Myers, Tampa) and some sort of urbanization on the southern point.  The western town looks fairly small (Paleto-ish), but despite not being able to see much detail in the leaked photos, we can see from the exquisitely-crafted MS Paint portion of the leaks that the city on the southern point of the map has a pretty sizeable footprint.  Also, if we look at RDR II as a better example of what the countryside would be like in a next-gen GTA, calling the rural areas boring and pointless before we know any details about them is premature.  Imagine taking a fanboat through the Bayou Nwa and blasting alligators with an AR-15.  Sounds dope as hell.

The Green Goo
10 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

Why not? For the same reason San Andreas wasn't set in Los Santos, San Diego, and San Bernadino. Tampa isn't iconic enough to be a GTA city. 

Damien Scott
45 minutes ago, The Green Goo said:

If they're going to spend the time and resources to create more than one city, there's no way they'd choose two Florida cities. 

Vice City plus Orlando or Jacksonville is more likely than Vice City plus a non-American city imo. I don't really see GTA leaving the US.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

I'd say GTA VI will probably focus more on the East coast of Florida, unless they decide to deform it a bunch and include a Tampa-like city. Maybe stuff like Orlando, Daytona Beach, etc if they wanna go further North than Miami.

My fabricated map  uhh... I mean the leaked map shows a pretty large urban area at the very southern point of the island below the Everglades, so if that's to be believed then there's already a good bit of creative liberty being taken in recreating South Florida.  With Vice City being at the northeast side of the map, I can't really come up with a good explanation for what they would be recreating in that location.

One interesting thing I just noticed is that in the two different leaked images of that portion of the map, there seems to be a change in the Keys.  In the original "1985" leak, there are a couple of small land masses in between the 1985 text and the coastline (this image is also a bit more contrasty and shows the urban area in the south more clearly):

9bngm6z036171.png?width=987&format=png&a

In the more recent image showing the entire southern part of the island, the resolution and contrast both seem to be a bit lower, but those land masses are clearly missing:

j5MQzSB.jpeg

Vice City plus Orlando or Jacksonville is more likely than Vice City plus a non-American city imo. I don't really see GTA leaving the US.

I could see them adding in Disney or something along those lines, but otherwise there's nothing iconic about either of those cities that would warrant them being included.  As far as GTA leaving the US, it's already been done (London) and the most credible leaks all suggest that the Caribbean and South America will be part of the game.

Edited by bakerach

CynicalMexican

I doubt Tampa or Orlando will be in the game. 

I mean, I remember back in 2011-12 people were hyping up the possibility GTA V was going to have San Diego, Tijuana, or even something like Orange County or Ventura, and we knew how that ended. Plus, Tampa and Orlando don't make much geographic sense, unless they really wanted to do a big Florida map. 

Tbh at least this supposed leak has a real second city in Homestead and a Paleto sized city in Everglades City. There's a lack of suburban sprawl, but remember GTA V completely cut out OC/San Fernando Valley/the Gateway Cities.

Hopefully it's a bit like WD2 where we got a few more spaced out urban areas outside of SF. And I'm still holding out hope for CDMX, if it's in GTA 6, it might be bigger than LC. 

The Green Goo

I think the island is based on Colombia. It makes sense with the possible cocaine production and drug smuggling.

Fxme6U5.jpg 

CynicalMexican

It's supposed to be a coastal city though, and the only coastal city in Colombia that has that sort of geography is Cartagena, and even then it's barely a resemblance.

I lean towards Rio; the geography is inverted, but otherwise it fits better.

Posted (edited)

I am not sure if they will add multiple cities from just Florida. 

To me a eastern Gulf Coast + two or three Cuba, Bahama's and Cancun based islands would make most sense.

This would ensure a larger focus on US based soil (since that is GTA), but also give a lot of options to travel to different areas outside of the US. 

For gameplay purposes the US soil could be roughly half / 3 quarter moon shaped, and the circle is then 'closed' by the south american islands. This to still make sure it is all reachable gameplay wise.

In my opinion the best cities for this would be Miami (Vice City), a few coastal cities (Panama City, Tampa etc.) combined into one and New Orleans (New Bordeaux). Basically as seen in The Crew: 

Tcdata39.png?width=1280

This will bring 2 major cities to the game on US soil (an upgrade from GTA V) and one smaller one (most likely twice the size of Paleto Bay). Add in a few towns and villages and the US would be set.

Combine this with a few hills on the US soil (as seen in Mafia 3) and the US area will be both big, diverse and offer various areas to be quite different than any of its predecessors. I wouldn't expect any large mountainous areas though (which pains my heart): 

Mafia-3-Aper%C3%A7u-screen07.jpg

The 'leak' has some islands very far out (10/15 minutes of flight and 20/30 minutes of sailing). This might look cool, but after doing that 2 times ANY player will beg for fast travel. I simply don't see R* do this (especially with Online in mind). Creating a half moon shaped US area and close the "circle" with some South American islands would make those flights and sailing times significantly shorter: 3-5 minutes. Plus it will ensure that all players are relatively close to each other.

Those 5 minutes might seem quick, but do this a dozen times and those 5 minutes feel like an eternity. 

Edited by ivarblaauw

12 minutes ago, The Green Goo said:

I think the island is based on Colombia. It makes sense with the possible cocaine production and drug smuggling.

Fxme6U5.jpg 

Like @CynicalMexican said, there are too many things pointing towards the island being Rio instead of somewhere in Colombia, though Colombia definitely seemed like the frontrunner for a story about drug running.

The lagoon, the coastal layout around the mountains, the islands, and especially what looks like a large mountaintop statue similar to Cristo Redentor.

The Green Goo

Maybe it's a mix of Caribbean and South American areas sort of like how GTA 3 had things from New York and Philadelphia. It could be called something like Corubia.

CynicalMexican
35 minutes ago, ivarblaauw said:

I am not sure if they will add multiple cities from just Florida. 

To me a eastern Gulf Coast + two or three Cuba, Bahama's and Cancun based islands would make most sense.

This would ensure a larger focus on US based soil (since that is GTA), but also give a lot of options to travel to different areas outside of the US. 

For gameplay purposes the US soil could be roughly half / 3 quarter moon shaped, and the circle is then 'closed' by the south american islands. This to still make sure it is all reachable gameplay wise.

In my opinion the best cities for this would be Miami (Vice City), a few coastal cities (Panama City, Tampa etc.) combined into one and New Orleans (New Bordeaux). Basically as seen in The Crew: 

Tcdata39.png?width=1280

This will bring 2 major cities to the game on US soil (an upgrade from GTA V) and one smaller one (most likely twice the size of Paleto Bay). Add in a few towns and villages and the US would be set.

Combine this with a few hills on the US soil (as seen in Mafia 3) and the US area will be both big, diverse and offer various areas to be quite different than any of its predecessors. I wouldn't expect any large mountainous areas though (which pains my heart): 

Mafia-3-Aper%C3%A7u-screen07.jpg

The 'leak' has some islands very far out (10/15 minutes of flight and 20/30 minutes of sailing). This might look cool, but after doing that 2 times ANY player will beg for fast travel. I simply don't see R* do this (especially with Online in mind). Creating a half moon shaped US area and close the "circle" with some South American islands would make those flights and sailing times significantly shorter: 3-5 minutes. Plus it will ensure that all players are relatively close to each other.

Those 5 minutes might seem quick, but do this a dozen times and those 5 minutes feel like an eternity. 

You actually bring up a good point. 

On a Q&A from a long time ago, Rockstar said that they didn't intend on a GTA outside American soil because GTA is a huge satire of American culture. Obviously their tune has changed, but it's worth a mention. 

Think about it. Say we have Mexico City and Rio de Janeiro. It's not just the city, but GTA has to capture a satirization of those countries as well. And not just run of the mill outside stereotypes; actually capturing the nuance of those societies; IMO, the audience in the US, UK, Canada etc may not understand such a satire so well. Not so much the other way around; US and even UK culture is exported a lot. 

So yes, I have a feeling the map will be more US centric, probably why the Florida portion is so big. 

Speaking of which, GTA Florida Man will be dope. 

Guess i am going to just say more of the obvious that most people already know, but Rockstar would not make a map that look like those in the "leaks", it looks too empty, you can barely see any roads in the map, and the one you can clearly see (the highway), looks waaay to "direct" for what Rockstar would do, in San Andreas for example, R* used to make unecessary turns in their Highways so the map would be longer, RDR and RDR2 map also had similar techniches, GTA V not as much, but considering how much of that map was a waste, there was no much reason to make the highways longer, allthough, if they added San Fierro or Las Venturas, i am sure they would do something similar.

Here is some stuff i point out in that "leaked" map, or at least half of it.
wdifzd6.png

Also, that map people are now claiming is a map of Rio, just look at the beach on that! If that doesn't look fake to you, i don't know what does.

21 minutes ago, Mattineu said:

Guess i am going to just say more of the obvious that most people already know, but Rockstar would not make a map that look like those in the "leaks", it looks too empty, you can barely see any roads in the map, and the one you can clearly see (the highway), looks waaay to "direct" for what Rockstar would do, in San Andreas for example, R* used to make unecessary turns in their Highways so the map would be longer, RDR and RDR2 map also had similar techniches, GTA V not as much, but considering how much of that map was a waste, there was no much reason to make the highways longer, allthough, if they added San Fierro or Las Venturas, i am sure they would do something similar.

wdifzd6.png

Also, that map people are now claiming is a map of Rio, just look at the beach on that! If that doesn't look fake to you, i don't know what does.

As I've pointed out several times, you can't nitpick small details on such a low res photo of the map.  Lots of things you're pointing out are impossible to discern from an image like this.  Also, comparing populated areas to the Everglades isn't really worth much.

The beach border around the Rio island is the one thing that sticks out as being odd, but given the game isn't even announced yet I'll withhold judgment for now.

11 hours ago, bakerach said:

As I've pointed out several times, you can't nitpick small details on such a low res photo of the map.  Lots of things you're pointing out are impossible to discern from an image like this.  Also, comparing populated areas to the Everglades isn't really worth much.

The beach border around the Rio island is the one thing that sticks out as being odd, but given the game isn't even announced yet I'll withhold judgment for now.

People are giving you reasons as to why it's fake yet there's nothing convincing you otherwise, from a side you say "tell me why it's fake" and when people do and they really do mention good reasons you're like "blah blah blah".

This is getting seriously lame.

1 hour ago, Mattineu said:

wdifzd6.png

Yeah this is the thing. There's just no faking it. In real game maps, especially from Rockstar who are the masters of building them, there are design 'tells' and this map does not have them.

CynicalMexican
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, KGBeast said:

Yeah this is the thing. There's just no faking it. In real game maps, especially from Rockstar who are the masters of building them, there are design 'tells' and this map does not have them

Ehh, IMO Rockstar doesn't have a particularly consistent philosophy on map making, and their maps are far from perfect. Even GTA 3 had a weird oddity of having Shoreside Vale being largely occupied by an airport. 

Plus, Rockstar's map making MO since 2008 changed significantly. Liberty City was mostly NY but influenced by other Northeast cities. Vice City and SA felt more like direct recreations but had plenty of geographic oddities.

GTA 4 and 5 are meant to be more "life like", but even then they feel different. LC captures much of the "essence" of NY, LS just focuses on very trendy parts of LA.

Edited by CynicalMexican

2 minutes ago, CynicalMexican said:

Ehh, IMO Rockstar doesn't have a particularly consistent philosophy on map making, and their maps are far from perfect. Even GTA 3 had a weird oddity of having Shoreside Vale being largely occupied by an airport. 

Plus, Rockstar's map making MO since 2008 changed significantly. Liberty City was mostly NY but influenced by other Northeast cities. Vice City and SA felt more like direct recreations but had plenty of geographic oddities.

GTA 4 and 5 are meant to be more "life like", but even then they feel different. LC captures much of the "essence" of NY, LS just focuses on very trendy parts of LA.

All you're talking about in the post is what the maps depict, that has nothing to do with the the actual design elements. Rockstar map design is very consistent regardless of specific focus or content. This thing ain't a Rockstar map. This is just something that becomes intuitive after you've spent 20 years and countless thousands of hours in their games and it's very hard to quantify and communicate. 

3 hours ago, bakerach said:

He's not even really nitpicking, though. He's just pointing out clear signs of obvious fakery. The beach border around the Rio Island is clearly the result of bad photoshop and if that Island is clearly faked then it stands to reason that the whole thing has been faked.

Also, if the photo is too low-res to talk about details, how can you be so certain it's real?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

He's not even really nitpicking, though. He's just pointing out clear signs of obvious fakery. The beach border around the Rio Island is clearly the result of bad photoshop and if that Island is clearly faked then it stands to reason that the whole thing has been faked.

Also, if the photo is too low-res to talk about details, how can you be so certain it's real?

He is quite literally nitpicking, in that he's complaining about small details that aren't able to be parsed from such low res images. Looking at the map as a whole is entirely different than complaining about roads that may or may not be there.  I'm not certain it's real, but I'm very confident when taking the map/islands from a 30,000' view.

As I've stated several times, the beach around "Rio" is odd.  What it is not, however, is "bad Photoshop."  That's something that people who don't really know much about Photoshop say when they suspect an image has been altered, but the "giveaways" and "telltale signs it's fake" people have been posting are mostly telltale signs that they don't really know what they're looking at.

Either the map was created and modeled by Rockstar or it was created and modeled by someone with far too much knowledge, creativity, and free time.  The one thing I'm certain of is that it wasn't created by some bozo slapping some random satellite images together in Photoshop.

11 hours ago, The Green Goo said:

Why not? For the same reason San Andreas wasn't set in Los Santos, San Diego, and San Bernadino. Tampa isn't iconic enough to be a GTA city. 

The point is, they definitely should made another Floridian city aside from Miami, the same way we had Los Santos and San Fierro in SA.

AbokommandantPro

I like the new thread name! 

"GTA VI Fake Maps Analysis Thread"

This is just perfect!

GTA VI Fake Maps Analysis Thread

so all maps we've got so far are 100% fake i guess

Geisterfaust

At first I thought there was a new hot topic about some new fake maps, but... Still not disappointed though.

CynicalMexican
17 hours ago, The Tracker said:

The point is, they definitely should made another Floridian city aside from Miami, the same way we had Los Santos and San Fierro in SA.

I mean San Diego is pretty iconic lol. 

I'm still disappointed a bit we didn't get SD in GTA V. 

AbokommandantPro

The Map leak is now 100% confirmed to be fake since we got a information from 2016 that said it's not in 1985. And this is trustable since he leaked RDR2 in the same thread and this was 100% real. 

1 hour ago, AbokommandantPro said:

The Map leak is now 100% confirmed to be fake since we got a information from 2016 that said it's not in 1985. And this is trustable since he leaked RDR2 in the same thread and this was 100% real. 

Lol, 100% confirmed as if it's harder to fake a 4Chan thread than it is to create a convincing map, that's hilarious.  The fact that this info didn't come up before the RDRII release is an obvious enough reason to doubt it.  Not 100% confirmed by a long shot.

2 hours ago, AbokommandantPro said:

who said the (fake) map is set in 1985? its also the name of the twitter account who posted the map on twitter back in 2018 (9teen8E5)

AbokommandantPro
2 hours ago, Punkd said:

who said the (fake) map is set in 1985? its also the name of the twitter account who posted the map on twitter back in 2018 (9teen8E5)

The first picture says 1985....

And he is the one who leaked it first. So....?

https://twitter.com/9teen8E5/status/1075495119464345613

• Like 1