3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA VI ""Leaks"" Analysis Thread

nicktestbranch

The real redflag I have by this 'map' is the position of the islands, it simply doesn't make sense, and the fact that Vice City is so 'square/triangulated' and last but not least, the fact that the US based area is so small.

I might have believed it if the map was not almost the same form and size as the current GTA V map, but this just seems to unrealistic.

nicktestbranch
8 hours ago, bakerach said:

Again, I'll ask you who said the RDR leak was fake and amateurish?  I don't remember seeing that in this thread, but maybe my memory is lacking.

Perhaps not in this thread, but when the leak happened, I was among the disbelievers until the trailers started to come out and the landmarking thread was published. For me I thought having West Elizabeth was wishful thinking, and New Bordeaux was not a working title but rather a lazy name that a faker put in there. When it was confirmed real, I was admittedly dumbfounded. And I will be again if the GTA VI map turns out to be as well.

One is clearly a design sketch for the map with landmarks, a proper sector grid (that they've used since the III-era games, at that time to assign areas to artists), and it looks a lot more like an actual design leak than whatever "hyper-realistic" thing made out of bits of Google Maps some people think must be 300% real. At least this is nothing new for GTAForums, almost nostalgic, as during GTA V I'm pretty sure there were a few topics of the sort trying to prove some fake maps must've been real until we actually got trailers etc. and people started guessing their own (correctly). :lol: 

I'd say a couple fan-made maps even here on GTAForums could look more real than the "cabbage" meme map. I almost think they should add a cabbage map reference to the game now lmao.

51 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

One is clearly a design sketch for the map with landmarks, a proper sector grid (that they've used since the III-era games, at that time to assign areas to artists), and it looks a lot more like an actual design leak than whatever "hyper-realistic" thing made out of bits of Google Maps some people think must be 300% real. At least this is nothing new for GTAForums, almost nostalgic, as during GTA V I'm pretty sure there were a few topics of the sort trying to prove some fake maps must've been real until we actually got trailers etc. and people started guessing their own (correctly). :lol: 

I'd say a couple fan-made maps even here on GTAForums could look more real than the "cabbage" meme map. I almost think they should add a cabbage map reference to the game now lmao.

There were no leaks for V that were anything like the quality 1985 leaks, regardless of if they're blurry IPhone pictures or you think they look like vegetables.  If you think there are better fan-made maps, I'd love to see what you are referring to.

I don't think they're 300% real, but I'm 99.9% convinced and would be utterly shocked if they turn out to be fake.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ivarblaauw said:

The real redflag I have by this 'map' is the position of the islands, it simply doesn't make sense, and the fact that Vice City is so 'square/triangulated' and last but not least, the fact that the US based area is so small.

I might have believed it if the map was not almost the same form and size as the current GTA V map, but this just seems to unrealistic.

What doesn't make sense about the layout?  If it's based of Florida, the Caribbean, and South America, it seems pretty reasonable.

You have to remember this is Rockstar, things aren't about real-life accuracy, they're about interpreting real places in ways that are fun to play in.  The only map they've created that's fairly close to its actual counterpart is GTA IV, but even that one was fairly off from how the real boroughs of NYC are positioned, except for Manhattan.  They have to balance accuracy to references with the overall game design.

It just seems that the only criticism people can level against the leaks is the shape of the maps along with the same old complaints from past GTA entries (where's the sprawl, highway goes nowhere, etc).  The level of detail and completion in the leaked maps and the fact that there are no obvious telltale signs of a bad Photoshop job (despite what some laypeople might suggest without offering any specifics) lead me to believe it's very likely legitimate.

edit:  trolls seem to think that laugh reacts constitute valid criticisms of the leaks.  I guess that's preferable to repeating "cabbage" ad nauseam :D

Edited by bakerach

Posted (edited)

Finally after all those years we now know what Rockstar has been up to, bringing us the ultimate cabbage experience, thank you so much! and a big thanks to the leaker for giving us the heads up on this and everyone involved in analyzing this map, much appreciated don't know where we all would have been if it wasn't for you guys thank you!

It seems the leaker was able to summon some spirits that contacted me during my sleep and all i can remember was me telling one of those entities my email, and to my surprise opened my email today with a big shock, omg holycow the dude actually sent me the cover!

cabbagevic.png

On another note i think we should open a donation page for the leaker, this dude is probably out on the run for his life, lost his job, his home, his friends, maybe he hasn't had a cabbage meal for days now? come on guys we can do better! get those mastercards ready

www.cabbageleakupmya$$.com/donation/

Spoiler

holyfukingsh*t what's wrong with you people?

Edited by _MK_

1 hour ago, bakerach said:

There were no leaks for V that were anything like the quality 1985 leaks

There were even better fan maps if you search around this forum. You're really sounding like a troll right now with how fiercely you seem to defend this singular map. Maybe you're the creator? 

• Like 1

AbokommandantPro

2 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

Were is the Cabbage reaction? We need it!

Don't forget the other guy trying lamely to analyze the map as if it's legit.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

There were even better fan maps if you search around this forum. You're really sounding like a troll right now with how fiercely you seem to defend this singular map.  Maybe you're the creator? 

I've seen tons of them, none of them anywhere near as convincing as the leaks.  Y'all are the ones making the claims about supposedly better maps, the onus is on you to provide examples of what you're talking about if you want anyone to take you seriously.  And I'm sounding like a troll for trying to state my case with examples and logic only to be met with "lol cabbage kidney," really dude?  Lame af attitude from an admin.  I wish I were the creator as that would mean gainful employment with my favorite game devs, but alas I'm a simple tv/video producer.

10 minutes ago, _MK_ said:

Don't forget the other guy trying lamely to analyze the map as if it's legit.

This is the true trollish behavior.  Talk a bunch of sh*t while sounding confidently incorrect, but refuse to back anything up beyond the same tired cabbage meme he keeps parroting.  Pathetic.

Edited by bakerach

2 hours ago, bakerach said:

There were no leaks for V that were anything like the quality 1985 leaks, regardless of if they're blurry IPhone pictures or you think they look like vegetables.  If you think there are better fan-made maps, I'd love to see what you are referring to.

I don't think they're 300% real, but I'm 99.9% convinced and would be utterly shocked if they turn out to be fake.

Have you visited the pinned "map making" thread at all?

11 hours ago, bakerach said:

I've seen tons of them, none of them anywhere near as convincing as the leaks.  Y'all are the ones making the claims about supposedly better maps, the onus is on you to provide examples of what you're talking about if you want anyone to take you seriously.  And I'm sounding like a troll for trying to state my case with examples and logic only to be met with "lol cabbage kidney," really dude?  Lame af attitude from an admin.  I wish I were the creator as that would mean gainful employment with my favorite game devs, but alas I'm a simple tv/video producer.

This is the true trollish behavior.  Talk a bunch of sh*t while sounding confidently incorrect, but refuse to back anything up beyond the same tired cabbage meme he keeps parroting.  Pathetic.

This guy right here is taking this on a very emotional and personal level 😂 how long did you spend working on your precious cabbage map? must have taken you weeks.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Collibosher said:

Have you visited the pinned "map making" thread at all?

I have, but I not all 190+ pages.  Nothing I've seen in there is on the level of the leaked maps, is there something in particular you've seen that looks really good?

edit: I was trying to engage in good faith, or are you just another troll who's going to "bruh" and not expand on the point you were trying to make?  I'm done responding to people offering low-level memes and criticisms based on nothing except their own uninformed opinions, sorry if that makes y'all sad -- I know people like MK and KGBeast are looking for attention, but they'll have to find it from someone else :D

Edited by bakerach
  • Bruh 1

On 5/27/2021 at 1:20 AM, pariah87 said:

88113ffc33a6e47a4f11c5cadab1cc0e.jpg

That looks like an actual map tho...

The 20min fake has better map sense... 

Imagine looking at this and then looking at the fake leak and not being able to tell the difference. 

1 minute ago, KGBeast said:

Imagine looking at this and then looking at the fake leak and not being able to tell the difference. 

Yeah, one's a hi-res image based on California, the other is leaked photos of a map based on Florida/the Caribbean/South America.  Y'all just don't stop with the hot takes XD

The Green Goo
37 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

There were even better fan maps if you search around this forum. 

Are you talking about the drawn maps that copy the style of the previous GTA game maps? Some of those are good, but nobody in the map thread has created a satellite map that isn't easily proven fake. 

CynicalMexican

That always brings me back to the infamous GTA 5 "map leak" which was drawn in GTA SA style, which was kind of a giveaway to its non authenticity.

And, it actually had other towns you could visit. 

Just now, CynicalMexican said:

That always brings me back to the infamous GTA 5 "map leak" which was drawn in GTA SA style, which was kind of a giveaway to its non authenticity.

And, it actually had other towns you could visit. 

Yep, every non-professional map has many things that are easy to point to as clues to the inauthenticity.  The only thing that really gives me pause on the leaked maps is the large beach border all around the Rio island like @pariah87 pointed out, but weighing that against everything else in the images isn't enough for me to call it a fake.  It could be an early/unrefined version of the map, but the city looks so complete that I'd think it's pretty far along in development by now.  It could also just be one of those game design choices that doesn't have to fit perfectly into reality, but for now that's my only real sticking point as far as doubts go.  After all, it is a fairly low res image, so the points people try to make about fine details like highway interchanges and building heights simply aren't able to be backed up by the leaks at this point.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, ivarblaauw said:

Here are some obvious red flags to me you might want to consider.

1. The complete lack of a port/harbor. The port of Miami is utterly massive and contains some of the largest manmade island in the world, they're completely blanketed in cranes and other equipment, cargo ships coming in and out, the cruise ship docks are all there, and there are lots of bridges and tunnels connecting them to the city. It's a key part of the city and would be a huge essential area if Rockstar were to go there. And yet mysteriously, there isn't a trace of it.

2. The lack of golf courses. Once you get west of downtown Miami and the airport you find an absolute sprawl of golf courses for miles and miles and miles. Rockstar would absolutely include them, and they're very apparent even from this height because they're huge. But again, they're simply not there.

3. The uniformity of the perimeter of the map. The main map and the islands are just encircled in fairly uniform beach. There's very little variation in the shape or material. Look at the GTA V map and you'll see how carefully crafted the whole coast line is. That's one of the big advantages of the island map approach GTA takes. They can craft the whole perimeter rather than laying in blanket cliffs and such. The beaches that are there bend and point as the contours of the land change and you go from beach to rocks to cliffs to manmade structures, little islands and horns scattered about, there's very little of that in the 'leak'. Not much effort was put into making the shape/contours of the map look organic.

4. The transitions between areas aren't very good. Again look at the GTA V map and you can see as you move from the city into the country it's a gradual transition where buildings become more sparse and the roads become a little more open and loose. In the 'leak' you just go from full urban to full forest/swamp immediately. 

Edited by KGBeast
  • Like 4

CynicalMexican
4 hours ago, ivarblaauw said:

Yeah I'm gonna disagree here.

All GTA maps have been on essentially a square surface.

GTA SA's geography was largely inconsistent with North American geography (NorCal was basically the Mojave Desert and Las Venturas occupied a position that would correspond to Sacramento).

GTA 4's shape is quite different from real life NYC as well. Plus, Algonquin is the biggest borough in the game, even though Manhattan is the smallest and least populated borough in NY

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, KGBeast said:

1. The complete lack of a port/harbor. The port of Miami is utterly massive and contains some of the largest manmade island in the world, they're completely blanketed in cranes and other equipment, cargo ships coming in and out, the cruise ship docks are all there, and there are lots of bridges and tunnels connecting them to the city. It's a key part of the city and would be a huge essential area if Rockstar were to go there. And yet mysteriously, there isn't a trace of it.

There might be a GTA version of Dodge Island in the leak, potentially the southernmost island in VC's Biscayne Bay.  The Port of Long Beach was massively shrunk for GTAV and people don't really spend much time there in GTAO outside of races.

2. The lack of golf courses. Once you get west of downtown Miami and the airport you find an absolute sprawl of golf courses for miles and miles and miles. Rockstar would absolutely include them, and they're very apparent even from this height because they're huge. But again, they're simply not there.

This one's easy -- there's no game design reason for an abundance of golf courses, including multiples would just be there to mirror real life.  Los Santos didn't have miles and miles of suburban sprawl like SoCal does.  But anyways, there's a golf course on the northern point of Vice Beach, see the purple rectangle here:

WSUA1BW.jpg

3. The uniformity of the perimeter of the map. The main map and the islands are just encircled in fairly uniform beach. There's very little variation in the shape or material. Look at the GTA V map and you'll see how carefully crafted the whole coast line is. That's one of the big advantages of the island map approach GTA takes. They can craft the whole perimeter rather than laying in blanket cliffs and such. The beaches that are there bend and point as the contours of the land change and you go from beach to rocks to cliffs to manmade structures, little islands and horns scattered about, there's very little of that in the 'leak'. Not much effort was put into making the shape/contours of the map look organic.

I'll give you this one, but only for the Rio island.  The coastline of VC's island looks as much like Florida as LS's looks like SoCal.

4. The transitions between areas aren't very good. Again look at the GTA V map and you can see as you move from the city into the country it's a gradual transition where buildings become more sparse and the roads become a little more open and loose. In the 'leak' you just go from full urban to full forest/swamp immediately. 

Look at the edge of LS in the map above and compare it to the edge of VC -- but like I said already, trying to parse details like building density and highway infrastructure aren't really fruitful with such low res photos.  Exploring at ground level looks a lot different than a top-down view of the whole island, but the border of the cities don't look too different to me in terms of density/transition.  Or for an even more apt example, look at Miami itself for an abrupt transition from urban > suburban > swamp:

WKfseMR.jpg

Anyways, thanks for actually typing out your points instead of regurgitating the same insubstantial jokes over and over.  We don't have to agree, but trolling is the lowest form of interaction.

Edited by bakerach

The Green Goo
1 hour ago, KGBeast said:

1. The complete lack of a port/harbor. 

There appears to be a port/harbor on the drawn part of the map on the north western part of the city. You can see what looks like 3 docks extending into the water.

Fsa01cB.jpg

19 minutes ago, BAGS00 said:

It is meant to go sideways imo

Making the game take place in East America and West America?  R* doesn't do 1:1 copies of real cities, but they tend to keep the most basic and fundamental things unchanged.

Damien Scott
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bakerach said:

R* doesn't do 1:1 copies of real cities, but they tend to keep the most basic and fundamental things unchanged.

Exactly, so how does a Miami + the Caribbean + Rio de Janeiro setting make sense?

1-96.png

IF GTA VI is indeed set in South Florida, expect Vice City and Fort Lauderdale and maybe, just maybe Orlando or Tampa or Jacksonville. 

Edited by Damien Scott

3 hours ago, bakerach said:

There might be a GTA version of Dodge Island in the leak, potentially the southernmost island in VC's Biscayne Bay.  The Port of Long Beach was massively shrunk for GTAV and people don't really spend much time there in GTAO outside of races.

This one's easy -- there's no game design reason for an abundance of golf courses, including multiples would just be there to mirror real life.  Los Santos didn't have miles and miles of suburban sprawl like SoCal does.  But anyways, there's a golf course on the northern point of Vice Beach, see the purple rectangle here:

WSUA1BW.jpg

I'll give you this one, but only for the Rio island.  The coastline of VC's island looks as much like Florida as LS's looks like SoCal.

Look at the edge of LS in the map above and compare it to the edge of VC -- but like I said already, trying to parse details like building density and highway infrastructure aren't really fruitful with such low res photos.  Exploring at ground level looks a lot different than a top-down view of the whole island, but the border of the cities don't look too different to me in terms of density/transition.  Or for an even more apt example, look at Miami itself for an abrupt transition from urban > suburban > swamp:

WKfseMR.jpg

Anyways, thanks for actually typing out your points instead of regurgitating the same insubstantial jokes over and over.  We don't have to agree, but trolling is the lowest form of interaction.

You're welcome but no one is under any obligation to explain themselves to you. I don't really care if you understand why I believe the map is fake or not and it's really not worth anyone's time or energy trying to explain anything to you when you'll just handwave it away anyway. That's the lowest form of interaction, not trolling. Making obstinate people upset is pretty noble all told.

21 minutes ago, Damien Scott said:

Exactly, so how does a Miami + the Caribbean + Rio de Janeiro setting make sense?

1-96.png

IF GTA VI is indeed set in South Florida, expect Vice City and Fort Lauderdale and maybe, just maybe Orlando or Tampa or Jacksonville. 

Your image shows exactly why it would make sense, that's basically the positioning of the leaked islands except that Rio is an island instead of a city of the coast of a huge continent.

7 minutes ago, KGBeast said:

You're welcome but no one is under any obligation to explain themselves to you. I don't really care if you understand why I believe the map is fake or not and it's really not worth anyone's time or energy trying to explain anything to you when you'll just handwave it away anyway.

That's a pretty unfair assessment, I'm here with an open mind and have agreed with some of the doubts.  This is a forum, after all, we're here to discuss things we care about and state our cases.  The only handwaving I'm doing is when there seems to be sufficient evidence to contradict someone's point.  But if you're just interested in making "obstinate" people upset, I'll leave you to it and save my discussions for the adults.

12 minutes ago, bakerach said:

Your image shows exactly why it would make sense, that's basically the positioning of the leaked islands except that Rio is an island instead of a city of the coast of a huge continent.

That's a pretty unfair assessment, I'm here with an open mind and have agreed with some of the doubts.  This is a forum, after all, we're here to discuss things we care about and state our cases.  The only handwaving I'm doing is when there seems to be sufficient evidence to contradict someone's point.  But if you're just interested in making "obstinate" people upset, I'll leave you to it and save my discussions for the adults.

I just hope when Rockstar finally announces GTA VI in 7 years you're prepared to kneel before your superiors and beg for forgiveness. 

Tbh Miami, Cuba and Colombia makes much more sense than Miami, Cuba and Rio although if Rockstar wants to do it real world distance wouldn't hold them back.

The Green Goo
54 minutes ago, Damien Scott said:

If they're going to spend the time and resources to create more than one city, there's no way they'd choose two Florida cities. Traveling from Vice City to a South American city would be awesome. Traveling from Vice City to Jacksonville? Why?