4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Borat 2

Pingley

The Time Ranger

Can't wait for this, the trailer looks promising and apparently there's going to be politicial ramifications for a yet unknown prominent figure. I have fond memories of watching Borat back in the day and nearly pissing myself laughing, if this is even half as funny it'll be worth a watch. 

• Like 1
Failed Again
On 10/1/2020 at 7:10 AM, Pingley said:

Borat is back and I am happy!

You know when you find a mask laying around, and you need one to enter a store.

Then you remember your mother saying, " PUT that Down!# you don't know wear its been!

Edited by Failed Again
  • Like 2
  • KEKW 1
Lonely-Martin

Always been a Sacha Baron Cohen fan since he started on the 11 o'clock show on channel 4. Ali G and Borat particularly. Lived the last one and quite looking forward to this. 

At worst, I'll be laughing my tits off. Sounds good to me!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Thejeffster

Another Borat movie is much needed in today's time, especially seemingly like people have gotten dumber since '06. 

• Like 3
Candy_Licker

Overall decent I'd say.

Sometimes felt a bit forced or staged, and sometimes it felt flat, but there were  scenes that had me rolling on the floor.

The fertility dance/debutante ball scene was hilrarious, haven`t laughed this hard in a while.

• Like 3
Lonely-Martin

Yep. Gold!

I love this dude's humour and the daughter was hilarious too. Sure for those familiar it's more of the same, but that's just what I was hoping for. 

Highly recommended for anyone that grew up on this type of cringe humour like Sacha's stuff or even Jackass/Dirty Sanchez. Not one for the kids but surely they'll love it and it'll be all over the playground no less, lol.

Big Molio
On 10/3/2020 at 5:35 PM, Lonely-Martin said:

Always been a Sacha Baron Cohen fan since he started on the 11 o'clock show on channel 4. Ali G and Borat particularly. Lived the last one and quite looking forward to this. 

At worst, I'll be laughing my tits off. Sounds good to me!

Some of the early Borat stuff was ace wasn't it? Before he became well known as a spoof character and did the more forced stuff, he did some quality sketches with the unsuspecting British public.

My favourite I think was when he squatted in the urinal at the golf club that time to "Do a dirt" much to the club owner's polite surprise, and when he went along the line of male rowers at the Henley Regatta and kissed each on the cheeks with "Congratulations", then when he got to the female cox at the end, just nodded to her. So funny.

Just too many great sketches. The hunt protest, the time he went to Cambridge university, trying to play cricket, when he did some wrestling. There is another really awesome one too when he goes to a small dance studio and learns expressive dance. That one is stellar. 

"And what do you do?"

"I'm retired"

"You are retard?"

"Yes"

"Like a mongoloid?"

Edited by Big Molio
  • Like 1
Lonely-Martin

@Big Molio. Ha ha, yeah. Some really fun stuff there, I remember all of those moments too. I love how he always managed to stay in character and push it with those antics or asking some of the awkward and funny questions. I remember when he was trying to fit in with some high society types and walks in after going to the loo with a little parcel in a bag asking where to put it as another example, lol. It's crazy how he's able to do some of that stuff and not be shy with it.

I'm gonna have to pull out my old DVD's and revisit some of the Ali G/Borat stuff I think as it's been a while, Bruno took it to another level of crazy, though only saw that movie once. One crazy man!

Big Molio

There are a couple of Ali G / Borat skits where Sacha is definitely trying to stifle a laugh and keep a straight face. I like the Ali G interview with Heinz Wolfe the professor, when he asks him whether infinity is more than or less than a killion. He can barely hold it in 😂😂

• Like 1
Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, Big Molio said:

There are a couple of Ali G / Borat skits where Sacha is definitely trying to stifle a laugh and keep a straight face. I like the Ali G interview with Heinz Wolfe the professor, when he asks him whether infinity is more than or less than a killion. He can barely hold it in 😂😂

That's true, although with the Ali G character he plays it more as an immature one so can get away more with laughing at things, but with the Borat one he'd learned more to control himself as he got more experienced in those scenarios I feel. But I'll be on the lookout when I watch them next, could make for a fun drinking game. :)

LittleBlueTroll
On 10/24/2020 at 9:46 PM, Big Molio said:

Just too many great sketches. The hunt protest, the time he went to Cambridge university, trying to play cricket, when he did some wrestling. There is another really awesome one too when he goes to a small dance studio and learns expressive dance. That one is stellar. 

Great memories 😂

There's a sketch that always makes me laugh like mad, and its so subtle compared to most other things. He is in England talking to a police officer about hunting (I think) The police officer uses the slang phrase "That's not cricket" meaning that's not good. Borat will not let it go after this, he keeps talking and asking about cricket, its so subtle but it really tickles me. 

Start at around 1:40 for the clip I mean, or watch the whole thing, you won't regret it:

Anyway, in regards to the movie, for me it was just okay. The magic and spark of the original film and sketches has gone slightly, and it did seem too staged and false in places. It almost felt a bit too "Hollywood" if that makes sense. The first one had a mockumentary style to it (like the British version of The Office) it was raw and real mostly. Sometimes this feels a bit too much like a movie. I described that appallingly, but I hope you catch my drift.

The daughter in this though is amazing, she played the role so well. Deserves all the credit she is getting. 

• Like 2
Big Molio

The common theme of Sacha Baron Cohen's characters is that they each have a very limited shelf life. They are created with one real purpose, and that is to troll unsuspecting but well-meaning people, which is obviously when they work best and when Sacha's ability for improvisation borders on being genius at times.

As they become more well known, the element of ignorance as to who these characters are is diminished.

I think that the characters and comedy don't come across as well when they are used outside of this scenario, and used in a "meta" sense.

The scripted and acted parts in the movies or when the characters appear "as themselves" on talk shows for example when everyone is in on the joke don't work for me.

• Like 1
Mister Pink

Finally got around to seeing this the other day. I laughed a lot. It's rare that I laugh out lout but there were certainly moments of shock and laughter and cringe. It does dip at points but I think it came across as an almost guerrilla-made feature-length film reborn out of the Who Is America series in 2018. His accent is toned down  and his English grammar better (presumably that might have been a creative decision - no need to think his accent would still be so crazy and his English as bad 14 years later)

The star of this film isn't actually Borat at all though. It's Maria Bakalova. She has some balls! As batsh*t crazy as her character is it just seemed real on some level. Could also be helped that by the fact I dated a girl  crazy like her character that even went to same arts school in Sofia, Bulgaria as her.  Mad stuff. Hearing that accent gave me flashbacks! Very fun girl.  I'm glad they changed the format and made another character to kind of take the lead and so pranks. Keeps it fresh and Bakalova nailed it. 

Loved the bit at the doctor in the trailer.. thought the bit was spoiled  in the trailer but when you see the backstory, it's hilarious! 

People will say it's not as good as the first but then people didn't like Bruno that much. So, I don't go on what people say. Don't care what anyone says Bruno is a genius film. Not sure why people didn't like it as much. Maybe some people still feel weird about the homosexuality in it. But anyway, this films, while the scripted parts will never live up to the prank parts, it's a great sequel. People know what to expect with Borat and Baron-Cohen's humour. For many of us in the UK and Ireland, Borat was known for years before the film but the film was like a pinnacle. For many others Borat film was their first introduction. And not it's 14 years later. The same "wow, this is new" factor isn't going to be there. So with that factored in, it's a great sequel. 

• Like 1

I'll agree that the real star here is indeed Bakalova. Some of the situations she puts herself in for the sake of the movie were downright courageous. She definitely held her own against Cohen, who has built up a bit of a reputation as being untouchable out on the field, even if a good deal more of his antics are staged than he'll let on. Regardless of how you feel that scene went down, she willingly went into a private room with Rudy Giuliani. I'm sure she was not in any real danger, but I can't imagine how she felt through-out that exchange.

Overall, the pacing was very different from the first film, and at times it felt rushed. I got the feeling a lot of what was filmed was trimmed for the sake of making the film flow more like a film. I assume there was enough leftover footage to double the running time but you can't keep everything. It was entertaining enough but I don't think much could hold a candle to the first one.

Spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

I loved the ending though, completely took me off guard even if the virus was sprinkled through-out almost as a B-plot. The Tom Hanks cameo was fantastic. Who'd have though COVID-19 would be Borat's fault? I audibly groaned when he coughed on that market stall food. It'll definitely be long remembered just for this topical plot point if nothing else. The last 15 minutes felt like the editors realised they actually had an ending to reach, and hurriedly made their way there, instantly teleporting our heroes back in Kazakhstan.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
XxElBigMex913xX

Borat 2 was pretty funny but nowhere close as hilarious as the naked hotel fight scene from the first Borat film.

Funny thing is that in TBOGT, there's a mission called Sexy Time which relates to Borat's infamous quote he always uses in one of his infamous interviews. 

Edited by XxElBigMex913xX

Borat makes us remind of how fast we evolved as a human society.

I remember the fax machine was the old school way to send an e-mail and how dearly I wanted a fax machine. The Giulianni moment was real and that caused a lot of repercussion