4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

That Thread about US current events

Raavi

2 minutes ago, Eutyphro said:

Probably because that's good advice. Don't resist arrest. Don't do dumb sh*t like steal an officer's taser and attack him with it. 

Imagine pretending that this is characteristic of more than a handful of isolated individual instances.

make total destroy

bro if you are not in 100% compliance with a police officer's order it is okay if you are summarily executed and you should expect that

this is totally normal

44 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

What "dark past" does Biden have with racism? I know he supported legislation that's disproportionately negatively affected minorities, but much of that is down to how the law is implemented rather than the letter of it, and even if this weren't the case I don't think it's indicative of any kind of racial prejudice. 

If he was conservative/Republican he wouldn’t have gotten a free pass for voting that way as well as using the phrase “Racial Jungle” in any context.

So yes I would say that’s a dark past everything being relative...I can’t stand Bernie but he’s never said anything approaching this and somehow was beaten to the candidacy by Biden.

34 minutes ago, Eutyphro said:

Imagine trying to be MTD level witty and missing the entire point.

Maybe try posting less sh*tty hot takes, then.

Passively resisting arrest doesn't warrant you getting double-tapped. Refusing to comply within two seconds of a demand doesn't warrant a violent response. The only legitimate justification for a fatal response to a suspect is if they themselves pose a clear and direct threat to an officer. 

5 minutes ago, Halal Cyborg said:

If he was conservative/Republican he wouldn’t have gotten a free pass for voting that way as well as using the phrase “Racial Jungle” in any context.

You say that, but everyone on both sides of the political spectrum gave Ron Paul a pass on literally claiming blacks were genetically predisposed to crime.

12 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

You say that, but everyone on both sides of the political spectrum gave Ron Paul a pass on literally claiming blacks were genetically predisposed to crime.

I take your point on that issue but one simple google will show press from both sides of the fence calling out his bigotry.

I don’t think he makes Biden less questionable at best and at worst saying Racial Jungle is tantamount to the same thing...again one simple google shows liberal/leftist press defending him.

So on the one hand according to google RP was called out by both sides and on the other JB was only called out by conservatives/Republicans.

Edited by Halal Cyborg

I've never claimed a person resisting arrest is deserving of getting shot/killed. What I said was you are less likely to get shot if you don't resist arrest. It's not a very difficult nuance to grasp.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

Imagine pretending that this is characteristic of more than a handful of isolated individual instances.

Probably linked to the handful of times it happened no? If I did that I’d be surprised if I wasn’t put down even with my privilege.

Just now, Eutyphro said:

I've never claimed a person resisting arrest is deserving of getting shot/killed. What I said was you are less likely to get shot if you don't resist arrest. It's not a very difficult nuance to grasp.

It isn’t don’t worry 

It's kind of cool how MTD just turned up and proved how you could miss the point even more after I mentioned him.

• Like 2

A second impeachment may make Trump 's case that he has been especially victimised, as well as about special.  It can also signal that his presidency was indeed an anomaly and so clear a path for politics to return to normal\business as usual.  It can also signal that Trump ha been a very naughty boy and should stand in the corner!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Ned Bingham said:

A second impeachment may make Trump 's case that he has been especially victimised, as well as about special.  It can also signal that his presidency was indeed an anomaly and so clear a path for politics to return to normal\business as usual.  It can also signal that Trump ha been a very naughty boy and should stand in the corner!

I think the whole political landscape is an anomaly right now...in America at least...you went from Obama to this its very extreme...are we going to see AOC in office? Jews might leave if so...tbf many want to leave now as both extreme sides of the spectrum are scary.

Edited by Halal Cyborg
55 minutes ago, Halal Cyborg said:

So yes I would say that’s a dark past everything being relative...

Is it, though? It's a single (partial) quote that I would argue is divorced from some important wider context.

Biden went on to reference a "racial jungle" and then said that "pushing busing in a way in which it goes beyond the constitutional mandates is like throwing a rock through the civil rights window. I think it has repercussions that are extensive in terms of the ultimate objective of seeing that we get integrated neighborhoods, of seeing that we eventually eliminate job discrimination, of seeing that we change housing patterns, of seeing alteration of tax structure."

Not that I can't understand objecting to his then-stance on anti-busing, but I think to suggest this as a racial dog-whistle is more than a bit of a stretch here.

Edited by Bartleby
1 hour ago, Eutyphro said:

Probably because that's good advice. Don't resist arrest. Don't do dumb sh*t like steal an officer's taser and attack him with it. Good advice is important and has the potential to save lives. If you're going to teach people to resist the police as much as they can, no doubt this will lead to harmful outcomes. If you think black lives matter, teach people not to resist arrest. You'll save lives that way.

...and we are taught not to resist the police. Okay so one guy resisted and that's representative of all the unarmed black lives that have been lost? The f*ck? God... lol this thread really brings out the bullsh*tters

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ddarko12 said:

Okay so one guy resisted and that's representative of all the unarmed black lives that have been lost?

Another claim I have never made. It does seem that the topic of police violence brings out a flood of crooked arguments, probably because BLM is a secular religion by this point, and thus has become resistant to reason.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Eutyphro said:

Another claim I have never made. It does seem that the topic of police violence brings out a flood of crooked arguments, probably because BLM is a secular religion by this point, and thus has become resistant to reason.

I'm very critical of BLM usually, and I could go on about that if I wanted to, but the arguments in here have been disputed multiple times. Y'all just bring forth a bunch of fallible arguments, and I'm just sitting here and watching as sivis basically repeats himself over and over.

Edited by ddarko12
1 hour ago, Halal Cyborg said:

I take your point on that issue but one simple google will show press from both sides of the fence calling out his bigotry.

The fact that you had to Google it sort of proves my point.

I don’t think he makes Biden less questionable at best and at worst saying Racial Jungle is tantamount to the same thing...

Do you actually know the context of that statement? If so, can you explain how it's "the same thing" as literally claiming- in the mid 90s, no less- that blacks are genetically inferior to whites?

1 hour ago, Eutyphro said:

I've never claimed a person resisting arrest is deserving of getting shot/killed. 

No, just inferred that it's a tragic but understandable outcome of not immediately complying with police harassment.

I mean you appear to have dodged the core issue, which was the portrayal of fringe events as if they were typical interactions thus entirely misrepresenting the reality of the subject at hand, but what else is new.

38 minutes ago, Bartleby said:

Is it, though? It's a single (partial) quote that I would argue is divorced from some important wider context.

Not that I can't understand objecting to his then-stance on anti-busing, but I think to suggest this as a racial dog-whistle is more than a bit of a stretch here.

I said his Racial Jungle quote is taken out of context but I really don’t see how saying it isn’t a dogwhistle 🤷‍♂️ 

He would certainly as I said not be given a pass by the Democrats if he was a republican 

I never said I had to google it 😂 

I googled it to confirm what you said wasn’t strictly true and indeed it was so.

Do you retain all your information and never look anything up 😂?

Yes I am aware of the context and it being taken out of context as I clearly alluded to...but the phrase in itself is unacceptable.

You appear to be inferring that all interactions with police for POC are harassment also which is ridiculous and for that there are zero figures that back up in any sense your clear bias that leads you to this conclusion.

Edited by Halal Cyborg
10 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

No, just inferred that it's a tragic but understandable outcome of not immediately complying with police harassment

Talking about this quote for clarity...Police do undoubtedly harrass POC not denying that but to assume its always the case is hugely biased and completely unquantifiable.

Unless you have some evidence all interactions between police and POC are harassment? 

Don't we have D&D threads to handle this kinda non-genChat whohah?

120719055137-trump-international-course-

Edited by trip
20 minutes ago, Halal Cyborg said:

I said his Racial Jungle quote is taken out of context but I really don’t see how saying it isn’t a dogwhistle 🤷‍♂️ 

Maybe if you could demonstrate that he meant to single one particular race out specifically and/or was against busing on the grounds of being segregationist, then I could probably get on board with this.

But considering how his position was not to keep communities segregated nor were the words a reference to any race specifically but rather to the potentially explosive consequences of the busing, I really don't see how you can say this was a dogwhistle.

And to make a more tangential point, one quote != a dark past.

1 minute ago, Bartleby said:

Maybe if you could demonstrate that he meant to single one particular race out specifically and/or was against busing on the grounds of being segregationist, then I could probably get on board with this.

But considering how his position was not to keep communities segregated nor were the words a reference to any race specifically but rather to the potentially explosive consequences of the busing, I really don't see how you can say this was a dogwhistle.

And to make a more tangential point, one quote != a dark past.

Quote + voting record

Just now, Halal Cyborg said:

Quote + voting record

There's that laziness again. You need to show your work, friend; what about his voting record?

30 minutes ago, Halal Cyborg said:

You retain all your information and never look anything up 😂?

Pretty much, yes.

Yes I am aware of the context and it being taken out of context as I clearly alluded to...but the phrase in itself is unacceptable.

And, let's get this straight, despite knowing the context you think it's analogous to what is quite literally white supremacist dogma?

You appear to be inferring that all interactions with police for POC are harassment

I neither stated nor insinuated this. But, for posterity, there's huge discrepancy in the nature of interactions between police and minorities versus white Americans. Harrassment is far more representative typical interactions than Taser-grabbing.

40 minutes ago, Bartleby said:

There's that laziness again. You need to show your work, friend; what about his voting record?

Well you can see it yourself if you feel his voting record was good feel free to prove otherwise.

I really don’t need to accompany every opinion with a thesis.

40 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

Pretty much, yes.

And, let's get this straight, despite knowing the context you think it's analogous to what is quite literally white supremacist dogma?

I neither stated nor insinuated this. But, for posterity, there's huge discrepancy in the nature of interactions between police and minorities versus white Americans. Harrassment is far more representative typical interactions than Taser-grabbing.

1. That is very impressive you must have a brain unrivalled by anyone to retain all knowledge everywhere...I am a dumb dumb that needs to look up information 🤷‍♂️ 

2. For me anyone that says Racial Jungle infers they don’t want their superior race to be forced to mix with inferior ones...hard to see it anyway else for me.

3. You inferred quite clearly that POC that have been shot by police must not have complied with police harassment.
hard to see how you’re not saying all police interactions are harassment 🤷‍♂️ 

make total destroy
3 hours ago, Eutyphro said:

That's a very accurate depiction of my argument, yes.

Yes.

you must have a brain unrivalled by anyone to retain all knowledge everywhere...

I mean that's hardly what I'm saying. I'm not a savant. I don't claim to have an idetic memory. But I do tend to have pretty good recall for information. 

For me anyone that says Racial Jungle infers they don’t want their superior race to be forced to mix with inferior ones...hard to see it anyway else for me.

So let me get this straight, you believe that Joe Biden's use of the words "racial jungle" in 1977 is morally equivalent to categorically claiming that black Americans are genetically predisposed to commit crime? Yes or no.

You inferred quite clearly that POC that have been shot by police must not have complied with police harassment.

No, I didn't. Clearly nuance is entirely wasted on you.