3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

RDR2 PC Patch - 1311.27 (1.23) | 27/10/2020

Spider-Vice

[October 27, 2020] – Stability/Performance (PC)

• Fixed a crash that occurred when launching the game on Windows 7 systems while DirectX 12 was selected
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when launching the game on some AMD system configurations
  • Fixed a crash that occurred while running Benchmark Mode on some AMD system configurations
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when switching between Vulkan and DirectX 12 on some system configurations
  • Fixed a crash that may occur when displays are connected or disabled while the game is running
  • Fixed stability issues that occurred during gameplay on some Intel system configurations
  • Fixed a stability issue that caused the game to launch with an invalid screen resolution on some system configurations
  • Fixed a rendering issue that caused graphical glitches on character hair, eyes, and fur in both Story Mode and Red Dead Online

OLD:

Spoiler

[September 28, 2020] – Stability / Improvements

Stability Improvements

• Fixed several reported crashes and stability issues impacting gameplay in Story Mode and Red Dead Online
  • Fixed an issue that prevented some players from entering Red Dead Online resulting in the error 0x99220000

Stability Issues (PC)

• Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when launching the game due to a corrupted key bind mapping file
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when launching the game using DirectX 12 on some versions of Windows 7/8

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360052616594/RDR2-Title-Update-1-23-Notes-PS4-Xbox-One-PC-Stadia

Edited by Spider-Vice
  • Like 4

Vulkan Multi-GPU is still broken, but so is their code for recognising GPU's, whatever the issue is they've made it worse, I finally got the game running by disabling one of the GPU's, and that's when I noticed something extremely unusual going on with the Vulkan api.

DX12 and the game is using the top GPU (GPU1)

JsnUKCJ.jpg

Vulkan and the game is using the bottom GPU (GPU2), despite it being disabled in Nvidia control Panel, WTF is going on here ?

K6yyHdb.jpg

neither of them is displaying Vram usage in MSI afterburner, something is very very wrong with this game

• Like 1

Sit Rep.

I have gone to some extraordinary lengths to try to get this game running, decided to put my 980ti's into my backup rig which has the same mobo and bios as my main, threw in a spare SSD and installed a fresh Windows 10, updated fully, latest Nvidia Hotfix driver, installed R* launcher, downloaded the game again, and the game runs fine in Vulkan M-GPU with 980ti SLI, I then took the SSD out and put it into my main, adjusted the video drivers for the 2080ti's, launched the R* launcher that worked in my backup rig and the moment the game finishes with the sepia loading screens and the spinning barrel appears, the game goes black screen, I put the SSD back into the backup rig, adjusted video drivers and the game runs just fine, on the exact same fresh OS install with the latest video drivers, and it's the only game giving me a problem, it's clearly not down to software setup as it was the same drive in both rigs, it's not the hardware because it's working perfectly in all other games as it should, I even undervolted the GPU's and underclocked them by 300 ........................................ RDR2 is broken.

by process of elimination it's pretty clear there's some kind of bug with Vulkan M-GPU with Turing and NVLink for me within this game, Strange Brigade in vulkan M-GPU gives me 220fps on 4K ultra, so the Nvidia Vulkan side of things is clearly not the problem, the problem is this game

Main System Specs = Non Working

Asus X99-E WS
6950X
32GB Hyper X Fury @3200
2080ti x2 NVLink

Backup System Specs = Working

Asus X99-E WS

16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @2400
980ti x2 SLI

here's a screenshot taken in the last hour showing the game running the Benchmark on my backup rig without any overclocks

rDYOQ2U.png

I have even removed the NVLink bridge, the game renders on GPU2 and displays through GPU1, very odd the game appears to be targetting GPU2 for rendering with Vulkan instead of rendering on the primary gpu.

I have also connected a monitor to GPU2 to see if the game is trying to output the game through that when in M-GPU, it's not.

Edited by Gforce
  • Like 1

Well, I finally got this game to run in Vulkan M-GPU without Black Screening.

here's how it's done.

Delete all the files in settings folder, launch game to the landing page,  go to display menu, unlock the advanced features, set to Vulkan and exit game, this must be done in order for the following line to appear properly.

open settings XML file and search for

<transferQueuesEnabled value="false" />

and change it to

<transferQueuesEnabled value="true" />

save file

Huge thanks to ThirtyIR over on Discord and YT for pointing that line for me, also think he's on here too, massively appreciated.

start the game and it should now run, once you have all your settings as you want them, rmb over the settings.xml and set it to read only and prevent the game from overwriting it again, then copy n paste yourself a couple of backup files so you don't have to go through all the bollocks again, if you get some flickering ingame turn read only off again but make sure you have a backup of a working xml in case R* break it again when they update the game.

for anyone with the same issue needing a working settings.xml file, here's the full file for 4K Ultra 60fps on 2080ti's in Vulkan Multi-GPU with NVLink in place, V Sync is on.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<rage__fwuiSystemSettingsCollection>
  <version value="37" />
  <configSource>kSettingsConfig_Auto</configSource>
  <graphics>
    <tessellation>kSettingLevel_Ultra</tessellation>
    <shadowQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</shadowQuality>
    <farShadowQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</farShadowQuality>
    <reflectionQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</reflectionQuality>
    <mirrorQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</mirrorQuality>
    <ssao>kSettingLevel_Ultra</ssao>
    <textureQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</textureQuality>
    <particleQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</particleQuality>
    <waterQuality>kSettingLevel_Custom</waterQuality>
    <volumetricsQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</volumetricsQuality>
    <lightingQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</lightingQuality>
    <ambientLightingQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</ambientLightingQuality>
    <anisotropicFiltering value="4" />
    <taa>kSettingLevel_High</taa>
    <fxaaEnabled value="true" />
    <msaa value="0" />
    <graphicsQualityPreset value="1.000000" />
    <hdr value="true" />
    <hdrIntensity value="100" />
    <hdrPeakBrightness value="1000" />
    <hdrFilmicMode value="true" />
    <gamma value="15" />
    <hdrSettingsMigrated value="true" />
  </graphics>
  <advancedGraphics>
    <API>kSettingAPI_Vulkan</API>
    <locked value="false" />
    <asyncComputeEnabled value="false" />
    <transferQueuesEnabled value="true" />
    <shadowSoftShadows>kSettingLevel_Ultra</shadowSoftShadows>
    <motionBlur value="false" />
    <motionBlurLimit value="16.000000" />
    <particleLightingQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</particleLightingQuality>
    <waterReflectionSSR value="true" />
    <waterRefractionQuality>kSettingLevel_High</waterRefractionQuality>
    <waterReflectionQuality>kSettingLevel_High</waterReflectionQuality>
    <waterSimulationQuality value="3" />
    <waterLightingQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</waterLightingQuality>
    <furDisplayQuality>kSettingLevel_High</furDisplayQuality>
    <maxTexUpgradesPerFrame value="5" />
    <shadowGrassShadows>kSettingLevel_High</shadowGrassShadows>
    <shadowParticleShadows value="true" />
    <shadowLongShadows value="true" />
    <directionalShadowsAlpha value="false" />
    <worldHeightShadowQuality value="1.000000" />
    <directionalScreenSpaceShadowQuality value="1.000000" />
    <ambientMaskVolumesHighPrecision value="true" />
    <scatteringVolumeQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</scatteringVolumeQuality>
    <volumetricsRaymarchQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</volumetricsRaymarchQuality>
    <volumetricsLightingQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</volumetricsLightingQuality>
    <volumetricsRaymarchResolutionUnclamped value="false" />
    <terrainShadowQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</terrainShadowQuality>
    <damageModelsDisabled value="true" />
    <decalQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</decalQuality>
    <ssaoFullScreenEnabled value="true" />
    <ssaoType value="0" />
    <ssdoSampleCount value="4" />
    <ssdoUseDualRadii value="false" />
    <ssdoResolution>kSettingLevel_Low</ssdoResolution>
    <ssdoTAABlendEnabled value="true" />
    <ssroSampleCount value="2" />
    <snowGlints value="true" />
    <POMQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</POMQuality>
    <probeRelightEveryFrame value="false" />
    <scalingMode>kSettingScale_Mode1o1</scalingMode>
    <reflectionMSAA value="1" />
    <lodScale value="0.950000" />
    <grassLod value="2.500000" />
    <pedLodBias value="0.000000" />
    <vehicleLodBias value="0.000000" />
    <sharpenIntensity value="1.000000" />
    <treeQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</treeQuality>
    <deepsurfaceQuality>kSettingLevel_High</deepsurfaceQuality>
    <treeTessellationEnabled value="true" />
  </advancedGraphics>
  <video>
    <adapterIndex value="0" />
    <outputIndex value="0" />
    <resolutionIndex value="20" />
    <screenWidth value="3840" />
    <screenHeight value="2160" />
    <refreshRateIndex value="1" />
    <refreshRateNumerator value="60" />
    <refreshRateDenominator value="1" />
    <windowed value="0" />
    <vSync value="1" />
    <tripleBuffered value="true" />
    <pauseOnFocusLoss value="false" />
    <constrainMousePointer value="false" />
  </video>
  <videoCardDescription>NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti</videoCardDescription>
</rage__fwuiSystemSettingsCollection>

Enjoy.

RTX 3080 and single GPU RTX 3090 owners, eat your f*cking hearts out 🖕

C0bI4Tp.jpg

Apologies for the double posting in here, but meh, sue me 😄

@ R*, you're a bunch of [email protected] !!!

Edit:

I'm not entirely sure that the fault is all down to R*, looks like Nvidia has some kind of bug, and also appears some of my earlier diagnosis was indeed correct that the game was loading onto GPU2 and misidentifying which display adapter has the monitor connected, this render to gpu issue is there for all game exe's not just RDR2.

b8fEEYc.png

Edited by Gforce
  • Like 4
On 9/30/2020 at 1:16 AM, Kubigz said:

Of course eyeballs and glasses are not fixed.

Is this a problem that has always existed, or was it introduced in a patch?

Huh, my TransferQueues have always been enabled by default and is also the option used on consoles. You sure you never changed it before? What isn't enabled by default and is on console is Async Compute, and it helps my FPS a bit on an AMD card - may do so in NVIDIA Turing and Ampere cards too.

Disabling transfer queues IIRC does have a performance hit as well BTW. It's a Vulkan thing to aid in compute operations.

2 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

Huh, my TransferQueues have always been enabled by default and is also the option used on consoles. You sure you never changed it before? What isn't enabled by default and is on console is Async Compute, and it helps my FPS a bit on an AMD card - may do so in NVIDIA Turing and Ampere cards too.

Disabling transfer queues IIRC does have a performance hit as well BTW. It's a Vulkan thing to aid in compute operations.

You do realise that the settings.xml changes all on it's own when you switch to DX12 from Vulkan, and vice versa ? hence me mentioning having to unlock advanced settings and set to Vulkan in order for that line to appear, also in my previous post I explained I used a fresh windows install.

this is a Vulkan Multi-GPU issue with Turing, unless you're using 2 Turing gpu's you'll never have the problem, as also explained in my previous post, this issue does not happen with Maxwell 980ti's.

and yes, 100% certain I've never manually edited it myself, and if I switch from Vulkan to DX12 and back to Vulkan, it's broken again, all on it's own.

I'm also not the only Turing M-GPU user to have this issue.

I'ts also highly likely that the Nvidia bug I have highlighted is the main cause of the issue, might also explain why R* has been having issues with the game recognising a change of GPU, especially in multi-gpu systems when it's looking at GPU2 as the Primary adapter.

there's an MSI afterburner overlay in the top left corner of all the images I posted, and the post with identical images was with SLI disabled in NVCP, the 2nd image shows that the game is being rendered on GPU2 then displayed through GPU1, which is a massive oddity as usually when you have a game that's only using 1 GPU (in an SLI rig) it only uses GPU1, this is the only time I have ever seen GPU2 used for rendering then displayed through GPU1 in a game when SLI is disabled.

R* have been trying to fix a bug in their game, while failing to notice that there's a bug in Nvidia's driver, as shown in the finally image posted, look closer 😉

Edited by Gforce
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Dryspace said:

Is this a problem that has always existed, or was it introduced in a patch?

Introduced in one of the patches, but can't tell which exactly.

29 minutes ago, Gforce said:

You do realise that the settings.xml changes all on it's own when you switch to DX12 from Vulkan, and vice versa ?

I do, but it might be recent behaviour as I'm pretty sure it didn't use to switch that option automatically. 🤔

47 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

I do, but it might be recent behaviour as I'm pretty sure it didn't use to switch that option automatically. 🤔

as I've pointed out, it's a problem with M-GPU on Turing, unless you're using Nvidia 2 gpu's it's likely you won't see a difference, and as also highlighted, the Nvidia driver has a massive bug, and this has been an issue since late July when R* released the Naturalists update, and coincidentally Nvidia released updated drivers, it's even been an Open and known issue that was doccumented in the Nvidia driver release notes until the last driver update where it vanished from the open issues list, I don't expect you to know this as you've mentioned you're on AMD.

Y7Yvszr.jpg

as for async compute, it's well know to be an active feature on AMD GPU's for years and less efficient or non existant on Nvidia GPU's, one of the reasons all the crypto miners favoured AMD GPU's during the craze.

Edit: this problem is basically a continuation of the issues I highlighted in this topic ...............................

I realise I forgot to mention in this thread that it's related to the black screening issues when M-GPU/SLI is active.

Edit 2: also appears that the screen flickering with TAA enabled and Vsync On is also linked to the Nvidia bug, especially given the way TAA works with using previous frames etc mixed with M-GPU, with Vsync On I'm still getting screen flickering to black, especially if stood still or using the sniper scope on the Rare Rolling Block Rifle, hitting pause combats it but after a few mins it comes back, the game is clearly having frame sync issues in Vulkan, but given the bug that exists in the OpenGL/Vulkan side of the Nvidia driver when using Multiple GPU's, it's no surprise, the biggest surprise is that I can get the game to even display.

Edited by Gforce
  • Like 3

I am trying to find out what exactly broke offline game launch from Epic Launcher offline mode.

I was on version 1311.20 with previous RGL and offline launch from Epic worked. Then game was updated to 1311.23 but RGL stayed the same, I still could launch the game offline but it started having infinite loading screens. Then latest RGL update was pushed and the game started showing Activation Error after logo and legal screens.

I have installers for previous RGL/RGSC and I managed to roll back to the versions I used to have but error remains.

If anyone is still on 1311.20 could you please compress RDR2.exe (~86 Mb), upload it somewhere and share the link?

Is anyone else having issues with RDR2 where it resets their PC during gameplay? I recently got an RTX 3090 and my pc specs are as follows: i9-10900k @5.1GHz, Trident Z Royal 32GB 4000MHz, RTX 3090 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1600i, ASUS ROG Maximus XII Apex Z490, Corsair MP600 4TB NVMe. I'm currently on 456.71 (the most current Nvidia driver).

I originally thought it was my overclocking causing the issue, but when I put everything at stock values, the game reset my PC even faster than before. Before the 3090, I had an RTX 2080 Ti and it ran the game without issue. 

I replaced my PSU with an RM850X and the issue was still occurring. I've tested my ram with the Karhu ram test and it passed with flying colors, and my CPU is a silicon lottery item which has been tested as well via stress programs on my end.

All other games have been running fine (Death Stranding with DLSS, BFV on DX11, Doom Eternal, Control, etc.). I can't figure out what the exact issue is, but could it be just a driver issue? I've also seen threads regarding RDR2 for PC back a year or so ago where they encountered the same type of issue; some stated replacing the PSU fixed the issue, but I'm still left hanging here.

EDIT: Also, everything in my system is updated (Windows 10 2004, RDR2 is on the latest update).

Edited by Satcher
System specification.
On 10/12/2020 at 7:05 PM, Satcher said:

Is anyone else having issues with RDR2 where it resets their PC during gameplay?...

I thought I heard something about this kind of issue with the 3090 or 30 Series. I could be mistaken. For now, I would put the 2080 Ti back in to find out whether the problem persists, if you haven't already.

EDIT: I came across this thread while I was at EVGA.com:

https://forums.evga.com/FTW3-Ultra-Shutting-down-PC-m3114618-p9.aspx

Edited by Dryspace
Additional info
  • 2 weeks later...
Western Gunslinger
5 minutes ago, trulex47 said:

Ahh thanks

Edit: patch notes

[October 27, 2020] – New Content

• A new Legendary Animal has been added to Red Dead Online:
    • Iwakta Panther
  • New Items have been added to Gus’s Store in Red Dead Online:
    • Iwakta Coat
    • Improved Bow Variant – Jaguar Variant
  • New Permanent Clothing Items have been added to the Wheeler, Rawson & Co. Catalogue:
    • Caffyns Hat
    • Garrack Hat
    • Varmint Hat (New colorways)
    • Hunter Jacket (New colorways)
    • Riggs Fringe Coat (New colorways)
    • Griffith Chaps (New colorways)
    • Strayhorn Boots (New colorways)
    • Becker Half-Chaps ((New colorways)
    • Weathered Half-Chaps (New colorways)
Edited by Western Gunslinger

Nope, these are the additions to RDO. PC's patch notes will be in a separate section. Updating the topic title with the new version.

EDIT:

[October 27, 2020] – Stability/Performance (PC)

• Fixed a crash that occurred when launching the game on Windows 7 systems while DirectX 12 was selected
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when launching the game on some AMD system configurations
  • Fixed a crash that occurred while running Benchmark Mode on some AMD system configurations
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when switching between Vulkan and DirectX 12 on some system configurations
  • Fixed a crash that may occur when displays are connected or disabled while the game is running
  • Fixed stability issues that occurred during gameplay on some Intel system configurations
  • Fixed a stability issue that caused the game to launch with an invalid screen resolution on some system configurations
  • Fixed a rendering issue that caused graphical glitches on character hair, eyes, and fur in both Story Mode and Red Dead Online
Edited by Spider-Vice

The horses eyes are now fixed.

still getting the odd black screen flashes, only happened the once while I was doing a quick test of the update.

Spoiler

Before going back to playing WD Legion :bbq:

10 hours ago, Gforce said:

Before going back to playing WD Legion :bbq:

is it good? personally i loved wd2 for it's great open world and side content, and wd1 for story and combat - what's the strong side of the legion?

3 hours ago, RuskiChleb said:

is it good? personally i loved wd2 for it's great open world and side content, and wd1 for story and combat - what's the strong side of the legion?

If you enjoyed the first 2 games you should enjoy this one, best/strong part ? it's set in my home city where I live and the ability to play as pretty much anyone you come across.

Flickering is caused by overlays, it happens if I have something like CapFrameX or MSI Afterburned installed/hooked. Otherwise no issues. They need to fix it, but verify that yourselves to avoid it for now.

The flickering occurs without an overlay and even happens in the benchmark from the landing page options menu, but yes MSI Afterburner does flicker, but it's not the main issue, the Vulkan api in Nvidia drivers is the problem, already shown that above.