About Gus

bonafidebaconbit

bonafidebaconbit

Now that the hype for the Naturalist role has ran it’s course, I have to say- Gus’s “camp” setup feels a bit rushed. It lacks the panache of his character’s demeanor. Hell, after meeting him- I imagined he would’ve played a more vital role in the Naturalist update- to a point I must say, that I visit him every time there’s a new coat but that’s it. But he’s located in just as many parts of the map as our dear Harriet.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the conveniences, but this update will be trumped over whatever is the most recent. I vision a more permanent home for Gus or hope for quality of life improvements to make him equally as relevant as Harriet has become. 

• Like 2

I only use him to get coats from legendaries, or if he's closer than a butcher for the 1-2 star pelts I've picked up. Would be better if he paid out more for pelts.

• Like 4

He serves the exact same function as the Canadian Trader in single player. 

I like Gus a lot better than Harriet. In the real world, if someone sprays you once, that is the last time. They'd either get shot, lose business, or have the bottle knocked out of their hand if they ever tried it again. I don't bother with her anymore.

Edited by StyxTx
  • Like 4

I thought when it first came out that the naturalist role would put us in the middle of Harriet and Gus(it did), but I figured Gus would be more involved like having to do missions, working both sides.  But instead we sell crap to Gus and do meaningless things for Harriet only to get sprayed in the face for playing the rest of the roles normally. 

• Like 5

bonafidebaconbit
10 hours ago, 4eyedcoupe said:

I thought when it first came out that the naturalist role would put us in the middle of Harriet and Gus(it did), but I figured Gus would be more involved like having to do missions, working both sides.  But instead we sell crap to Gus and do meaningless things for Harriet only to get sprayed in the face for playing the rest of the roles normally. 

Exactly my point. There is so much misleading him to being a central role by map placement, I honestly thought I’d be going to him just as much during my time leveling up. But eventually the legendary animal drip feed will end, leaving him being a useless character to most players

11 hours ago, 4eyedcoupe said:

Or trying to get meat to eat.

• Like 2

Lemoyne outlaw

yes i agree. i do like gus. but i feel like he is underused. i would much rather work for him than the stupid woman that sprays you when you are trying to be a customer to her. but as someone else mentioned. once the dripfeed ends and everyone has all the legendaries they want. then gus will be forgotten. unless they use him in a future update. when he mentioned about how he had a tiger bedspread. and that he went on these big hunting trips all over the world. i thought it would be cool if we could buy exotic animal clothes. like a tiger coat or zebra. and much more. instead he just tells stories about it.

Yeah, it feels like it should have been what players originally assumed:

The original assumption was that you picked Naturalist, then had your "choice" of 

EITHER Gus or Harriet; so you could either be a blood-thirsty hunter or an extreme

pacifist. I think Rockstar figured out that 99.9% of us would have gone with the

easier "Blood Thirsty Hunter." ;)

The Naturalist intro video ALSO sets up that assumption, so I really do think that

was the original plan (makes no sense now, unless you don't do the Naturalist role

at ALL in which case  you'd never see the video anyway???)

So you are kind of forced to ignore Gus, or balance the getting of his animal-headed 

coats with not going too bad with Harriet.

It would have been way more fun either choosing one OR have a way of balancing with Harriet, 

such as having her be the way she is but her being OK with you "fishing, since they are lower order

"feed" animals"; then they could have had her do the much needed fishing/angling/rare fishing catches,

possibly being a way to raise her not liking you back to normal so you don't get maced.

Edited by Krommer

12 hours ago, bonafidebaconbit said:

Exactly my point. There is so much misleading him to being a central role by map placement, I honestly thought I’d be going to him just as much during my time leveling up. But eventually the legendary animal drip feed will end, leaving him being a useless character to most players

I still sell perfect pelts of all kinds to him thinking that if they add more equipment or clothing that needs those pelts he'll already have them, unless R* resets all his supplies back to zero. I've always stockpiled everything figuring that eventually they'll be needed. It's worked out when they come out with new stuff like trinkets or whatever that need plumes or jewelry because I already have them and can use them immediately. Plus it gives me something to do when I get bored with the regular stuff.

Edited by StyxTx
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
DentureDynamite
On 9/29/2020 at 10:29 AM, EdHunter said:

I only use him to get coats from legendaries, or if he's closer than a butcher for the 1-2 star pelts I've picked up. Would be better if he paid out more for pelts.

Gus is probably R*'s rationale for not adding extra butchers around the map...