2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Hogwarts Legacy

el carlitos

Not really disappointed about Quidditch personally. I don't even think it's that fun of a game to begin with (at least not long-term), and since the game already contains broom flight, challenges, races etc., I think I am content with that. I'd rather have the resources invested elsewhere, and from what I am seeing so far, I am very satisfied and can't wait to get my hands on the game.

• 2 months later...

the more i see from this game the better it gets, looks dope, since the harrypotter books/movies appeared in my childhood i always wanted to be able to play a "proper" harry potter game, its a dream coming true

• Like 3

I know it's out in Feb and I know delays suck, but if they feel this isn't ready by Feb I hope they delay it again. It just looks so refreshing and interesting that I don't want them to be plagued by releasing it undercooked as is all too often these days. It looks genuinely fantastic and I only looked at the char creator and some snippets of the gameplay, I don't need anymore than that. Looks really good even to a non-HP fan such as my self.

I will say the character creator is a little bit of a mixed bag. The bad is that there's no slider options for the face and body but the good is that while it's a preset driven creator there does seem to be a good amount of options for faces, eyes and hair.

Overall though it just looks fantastic. I'm getting the real impression it's one of those games where as you play it you can just know that a ton of love and passion went into it, a good recent example of that from a game I played was the Guardians of the Galaxy game which just oozed passion while playing it, so much care and attention into the visuals, the sounds, characters, loads of little details, etc.

Creed Bratton

It doesn't look that good to me tbh. The lighting looks flat, the NPC's look like mannequins just standing around doing nothing and the ambient sound is almost non-existent. Also, the characters suffer from Bioware face syndrome. I really hope that these are issues that will be addressed in the final product and not sacrifices they had to make to ensure that this thing can run on last-gen consoles. Bully's Bullworth Academy from 2006 looked more real and alive than this.

Edited by Creed Bratton

Hm, honestly I'm not so sure what to think about this latest gameplay showcase. For me personally it was almost an eye opener and why I should always remain sceptical until the very release of a game. The NPC behavior is horrible around the castle with them looping in the same animation(s) forever it seems and the lighting is strange. Also some design decisions I'm really not happy with like no interaction system alà Bully or RDR2. Let's see more showcases in the future but for now I'm not too optimistic.

To avoid spoilers I only skimmed through the video and wasn't stopping long enough to notice the NPC's but looking again I can see the possible concerns with NPC's being statues, yea. I hope we see students moving about between classes etc cause otherwise that could be a little strange for sure.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

To avoid spoilers I only skimmed through the video and wasn't stopping long enough to notice the NPC's but looking again I can see the possible concerns with NPC's being statues, yea. I hope we see students moving about between classes etc cause otherwise that could be a little strange for sure.

npc's was one of the few negative points people have about the gameplay showcase :) and i agree lol, but to be fair you could also see npc's flying around on their broomsticks, random interactions happened to the npcs around you etc

and keep in mind the video was probably made in september/october, its still work-in-progress and they captured it on a ps5 dev kit, many tweaks are happening in the final months of game development (i remember a ac valhalla gameplay showcase several months before release and it looked really bad compared to the final product so i am positive things will still change for the better) 😁

• 1 month later...

I think it looks great. I think you need to be a true harry potter nerd to fully appreciate the details they have put in here. I really love how they implemented Avada Kedavra, one shot kill but takes a long time to replenish. The castle is extremely well detailed and so are the surroundings. It definitely is shaping up to be the game I dreamt of in my childhood.

I do echo the concerns regarding NPCs though. On the other hand, I've been truly spoiled by Rockstar and Red Dead 2 that at this point i've almost made peace with the fact that no game will ever come close to the NPC interaction and activities in RDR2. So I never expected it to be good to begin with. 

I would say, that if you are not a harry potter fan but want to play this game you might want to temper your expectations. This studio hasn't really made any big games up to this point and it's the first proper harry potter game in a long time so I honestly expect quite a few rough edges in the game which would be more noticeable if you aren't playing the game through rose tinted glasses (like I would).

Edited by Ducard

• 4 weeks later...

"less" than 1 month until release

pre-orders of this game are going through the roof (guess people didnt learn from cyberpunk lol)

Well, most pre-orders go fine is the thing lol. The whole "don't pre-order" stuff isn't without it's merit but yea, pre-orders don't typically backfire. Plus, refund policies on Steam are good, dunno about Xbox/PS though they typically do allow refunds if the game turns out to be a mess.

Anywho, yea, if this game is even an 8/10 it could quite possibly be the best selling game of the year. There's an insane amount of hype for it building, a bunch of non-gamers are even interested in it and buying consoles for it.

Space Cowboy

The level of detail the game has and the passion of developers for the source material that the game so clearly reflects is enough for (not just) Harry Potter fans to get excited. They really nailed some things for sure, and even if the game turns out to be lacking in some areas, I have no doubt it will be successful.

13 hours ago, Punkd said:

pre-orders of this game are going through the roof (guess people didnt learn from cyberpunk lol)

Harry Potter IP alone is way more recognisable than CDPR (or Witcher/Cyberpunk) brand ever was. That coupled with the fact that the game exhibits an insane level of detail, looks great and is essentially a dream come true for many fans of the IP, it's no wonder the pre-orders are going through the roof. People really wanted this type of a game for so long, and no gaming controversy is going to deter them from getting excited. The IP is still too strong.

21 hours ago, Punkd said:

"less" than 1 month until release

To be honest, I'm not sure pre-ordering is that big of a deal people make it out to be. As Jason pointed out, Steam's refund policy is excellent and if the game has a disastrous launch close to Cyberpunk, you can be sure that there will be a lot of refunds. 

I think this game will be a dream for harry potter lovers (such as myself) and a very good game for others. It might not be RDR2 level, but it will still be a solid start for the series is what I am predicting. I expect it to have some shortcomings when it comes to NPC interactions and perhaps the story but overall I am looking forward to it!

Edited by Ducard

EmagmaLak

I got my trusty Steam vouchers for Christmas/Birthday this year, so I used them to pre-order this 🥳

I also booked a couple days off work (this was a combination of wanting to play this and hating going to work) Haven't done that since the release of MW3.

How time flies. 

• Like 2

SIG-2.jpg

On 1/15/2023 at 11:57 AM, EmagmaLak said:

(this was a combination of wanting to play this and hating going to work)

Can relate.

Really looking forward to this game, but I haven't booked any time off. I did that twice for Cyberpunk, and we all know how that went. :sui:

Now that publishers saw sense and stopped releasing games on the US's weird traditional day (Tuesday) and started releasing them on a Friday I think taking time off from work is less needed now. Though I'd still reserve it for some truly special releases... basically R* releases lol.

SpaceBeagle

I dont really care about HP (in general), or this game - but here is some quality real gameplay by a real player 😄

Looks like a very nice open world game and it's just a shame no map in this video (map could be under 'embargo' for this type of preview). 

Looks good. Think my main criticism is what's been touched on earlier in the thread, while the interior of Hogwarts looks good it lacks a bit of atmosphere. NPC's just seem to be going through animations and there's not really much in the way of sound design in there either. Should be more NPC's, more people walking about, more ambient noise/chatter and stuff like that just to make it feel a bit more alive.

Don't think it's gonna be a 9.5/10 game but it looks like it'll be a good 8-8.5/10.

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

Think my main criticism is what's been touched on earlier in the thread, while the interior of Hogwarts looks good it lacks a bit of atmosphere. NPC's just seem to be going through animations and there's not really much in the way of sound design in there either. Should be more NPC's, more people walking about, more ambient noise/chatter and stuff like that just to make it feel a bit more alive.

The lack of NPCs is probably more due to technical limitations than creative ones, but I agree that the ones that are there seem very basic. Hopefully the fully fletched story characters are more exciting. I do think the world looks great in most places, but also very stale in others. Either way, I can't wait to try it out for myself.

Yea possibly. It doesn't look bad in that aspect of the game, it just would be nice to see and hear a bit more life in the halls.

It does just look very solid though tbh. They've actually shown a fair bit as well through offical dev streams which bodes well, and to hand YouTubers early copies of the game shows confidence as well. 

i have only skimmed through the previews because I don't want to spoil too much for myself but it looks very solid so far. The NPCs don't seem that bad tbh. I mean they are obviously a weak point in the game but they aren't downright statues as i was fearing.

The combat and the world design looks to be the game's strongest points which is pretty in line with what I expected watching the trailers and dev walkthroughs. The combat in particular has a surprising amount of depth to me. The story seems fairly interesting too. (I'm a HP nerd so I'll take any story I can get in this universe lol) Overall I think it's going to be a 8/10 for non hp fans and a 9/10 for hp fans. Just hoping it has good optimization now. (*cough* Forspoken)

I just hope the whole controversy around JKR doesn't overshadow this game because I honestly think it's very unfair, especially considering HP has nothing to do with JKR's personal views. The whole boycott thing was bizarre IMO.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:56 AM, Jason said:

Now that publishers saw sense and stopped releasing games on the US's weird traditional day (Tuesday) and started releasing them on a Friday I think taking time off from work is less needed now. Though I'd still reserve it for some truly special releases... basically R* releases lol.

I mean the deluxe edition of the game is out on a tuesday and that's basically what most people seem to be buying so... the release date is effectively Feb 7th lol. I still haven't decided which day to take off to play this. I kinda wish they would release the exact timing of the release so that I can decide whether to take off on Tuesday or Wednesday. (because, timezones)

Edited by Ducard

Craigsters

I may buy the game in April if I have the money

"You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."

On the Waterfront 1954 M.Brando

6 hours ago, Ducard said:

I mean the deluxe edition of the game is out on a tuesday and that's basically what most people seem to be buying so... the release date is effectively Feb 7th lol. I still haven't decided which day to take off to play this. I kinda wish they would release the exact timing of the release so that I can decide whether to take off on Tuesday or Wednesday. (because, timezones)

Yea I actually forgot it had early access but that is becoming a trend now, Friday release with 3 day early access release on the Tuesday if you pony up a bit more cash. It works very, very well for these publishers lol.

....I'll probably pony up for the deluxe as well. It's £10 more expensive than the normal so it aint too crazy of a jump.

I'm planning to buy this game so bad. I've been watching gameplays and the NPCs are at least on par with those in The Witcher 3 in terms of interactivity. You can play with some of them through minigames and little spell skirmishes.

The map looks okay, but I'm afraid it'd be mostly barren and there's nothing to do outside of those "encounter areas". It seriously reminds me a lot of Bully, but with magic, instead of the usual teenage hijinks.

So... apparently someone on reddit (r/harrypottergame) got the deluxe edition early and has already started playing it. WB was quick to issue a copyright claim and nuke his account but not before he had shared some info. For those interested, here's what I gathered from his comments (mild gameplay spoilers I guess?):

Spoiler

- You start off in diagon alley.

- There is a quiz that helps you get sorted into your house but you still have the final say.

- He attended 2 classes, charms and defence against the dark arts. Charms involves a mini game with the accio spell and DADA has a dueling mini game of sorts. 

- Gameplay felt "fluid and fun". No major bugs to speak of apart from one visual bug.

- Castle is huge

- Story is more interesting than expected.

Spoiler

- You can pet cats.

All in all, still looks solid. Let's see how it goes.

Edited by Ducard

The gameplay is getting more praise than I expected, tbh. Generally in open world RPG's (even RPG lites) you sorta expect the moment to moment gameplay to not be that great given games in the genre have a much wider scope, but even in the previews I think the people who got hands on were surprised how good it felt to play, especially the combat.

Genuinely sounds like Avalanche have something good here, which is surprising given their track record.

• Like 1

Row x Salvation
6 hours ago, Jason said:

The gameplay is getting more praise than I expected, tbh. Generally in open world RPG's (even RPG lites) you sorta expect the moment to moment gameplay to not be that great given games in the genre have a much wider scope, but even in the previews I think the people who got hands on were surprised how good it felt to play, especially the combat.

Genuinely sounds like Avalanche have something good here, which is surprising given their track record.

Yeah I was very sceptical with this game until the previews went out and I was sold purely on the combat and how immersive the Harry Potter world looks. You can tell there's a lot of passion for the Harry Potter universe and love that's been put into this game.

Yes I preordered this even though I put a ban on preordering games because of Cyberpunk..

Craigsters

Well Hogwarts Legacy: Digital Deluxe Edition have bonus content for pre-ordering it?  I wont be able to buy any new games Till the End up April, well I miss out on any pre-order content buying the game 2 month's after it's released?

ok found my answer the pre-order item is , see below, I  hid it in case you want  to be surprised 

Spoiler

onyx hippogriff mount

Update

rC8SKOf.png

LxtEbpL.png

Fan Account Integration - Hogwarts Legacy

Edited by Craigsters

"You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Launch trailer is up! :)

Craigsters

I don't think I have a WB game account, I tried to link the  hogwarts  legacy fan  account to my  wb  account, and forgot my wb password and  wonder brothers never emailed me a password reset email

update

08OFGXb.png

steam finally  posted the  system  requirements 

Edited by Craigsters